Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Based on current roster archetypes and other factors, here are some players the Colts will likely NOT draft.

First, the title is hyperbole.More or less just trying to see what players don't fit the perceived filter of what the FO looks for in a player. 

Character Concern player projected before Round 5:

Marcus Peters, CB, Washington

Randy Gregory, EDGE, Nebraska

Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri

Frank Clark, EDGE, Michigan

Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

PJ Williams, CB, FSU

Josh Shaw, DB, USC

Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

Justin Cox, S, Miss. State

It's very likely none of the above 9 players are drafted by the Colts unless they are available beyond round 4. 

Players with marginal positional value in the eyes of the FO: 

Cameron Irving, C, FSU

Grigson doesn't value centers. Taking one in the first doesn't make any sense.

Players who don't fit perceived size requirements (DL): 

Grady Jarrett, Clemson

Michael Bennett, Ohio State

Preston Smith, EDGE/DT

Mario Edwards Jr, EDGE/DT

All players who don't fit the size archetypes of the roster. As much as it pains me to say, the Colts will likely not be drafting Grady Jarrett in this draft. It goes against what we know. 

Players who don't fit perceived size requirements (CB): 

Steve Nelson, Oregon State

Kevin White, TCU

Senquez Golson, Ole Miss

Quandre Diggs, Texas

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

Unless the FO plans a FS conversion, none of these player will be Colts. No boundary corner, other than Jerraud Power (lack of resources) and Butler (injury), under 5'11" has started a game for the Colts. As a matter of fact, there are only 2 corners on the Colts roster at the moment that are under 6'0" tall. 

Players who don't fit perceived size requirements (S): 

Derron Smith, Fresno State

Smith is the only player who doesn't fit the perceived size requirement. The Colts haven't started a safety that was under 5'11" in the Grigson era. Both of his perceived starting safety signings (not counting Adams, as he was signed to a backup role) were Zbikowski (5'11") and Landry (6'0"). Not much of a sample size to work off of here, but Smith doesn't pass the filter.

Players who fit schematically (other than those already eliminated)

D.J. Humphires, OT/G, Florida

Jake Fisher, OT/G, Oregon

Both of these guys are ZBS players. 

I'm trying to find more patterns, but a lot of other positions don't really have a defined preference on skill set or size. 

I think Erving could make sense if they are looking at him as a OT as well. Positional versatility is what got Jack Mewhort drafted in the second round.

I think Erving is a very poor OT, that's why he got moved to C and excelled at it. Terrible OT, natural C.

I don't know much at Erving, just what I have read about him. I have heard him described as a guy who was one of the best offensive tackles in the country who was moved to Center (because of injuries) his final college season, and really took his game to another level.

I have seen some sites list him as a T at the pro level. Whether he would be a particular successful T, I have no basis to form an opinion on. But he started 2-3 seasons at OT and then his final year at C. If Grigson thinks he could compete at BOTH positions (C and RT), then he is at least worth a look. My point was, with his versatility, he shouldn't be ruled out completely in the first four rounds. 

As I see it, we have a LT and LG already in place. (Castanzo and Mewhort) We have a pile of players that are competing for the other guard spot. (Reitz, Thomas, Holmes, Louis, Harrison, Herremans, Heenan and Nixon) All these guys have a reasonable chance to win a starting job. Holmes and Harrison are our only real options at C. Cherilus and Reitz and Ulrick John are our only options at RT. If Erving could slot into either position, it could be a value pick.

I disagree about Derron Smith. We met with him at the combine and brought him in for a private workout. There is severely interest there.

He'd be playing FS anyways; a position where you can be under-sized like Matheui or Thomas.

SS is where you want the size at.

Poor LEFT tackle,  but he might be a decent right tackle or even a guard.     And at 29,  that maybe an option....

He was an All-American OT in 2013

Thanks for the correction NewColts, I actually appreciate that. I didn't know he was an all american OT in 2013, but something happened where he became a C. I'll take a 2nd look at him. Either way, it's nice to have him as an option. The more options, the lesser chance we reach in the draft.

Thanks for the correction NewColts, I actually appreciate that. I didn't know he was an all american OT in 2013, but something happened where he became a C. I'll take a 2nd look at him. Either way, it's nice to have him as an option. The more options, the lesser chance we reach in the draft.

He played the first 9 games of last year at LT then moved to Center after injuries

He played the first 9 games of last year at LT then moved to Center after injuries

Thanks for telling me that. I will take a closer look on how he did at Tackle before judging him. If he is a truly versatile O-Lineman, it wouldn't be a bad thing to draft him. I just would rather have someone whose best position is tackle at this point.

First, the title is hyperbole.More or less just trying to see what players don't fit the perceived filter of what the FO looks for in a player. 

Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

PJ Williams, CB, FSU

Josh Shaw, DB, USC

Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

It's very likely none of the above 9 players are drafted by the Colts unless they are available beyond round 4. 

Cameron Irving, C, FSU

Grady Jarrett, Clemson

Preston Smith, EDGE/DT

All players who don't fit the size archetypes of the roster. As much as it pains me to say, the Colts will likely not be drafting Grady Jarrett in this draft. It goes against what we know. 

Kevin White, TCU

Senquez Golson, Ole Miss

Quandre Diggs, Texas

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

Unless the FO plans a FS conversion, none of these player will be Colts. No boundary corner, other than Jerraud Power (lack of resources) and Butler (injury), under 5'11" has started a game for the Colts. As a matter of fact, there are only 2 corners on the Colts roster at the moment that are under 6'0" tall. 

Smith is the only player who doesn't fit the perceived size requirement. The Colts haven't started a safety that was under 5'11" in the Grigson era. Both of his perceived starting safety signings (not counting Adams, as he was signed to a backup role) were Zbikowski (5'11") and Landry (6'0"). Not much of a sample size to work off of here, but Smith doesn't pass the filter.

I'm trying to find more patterns, but a lot of other positions don't really have a defined preference on skill set or size. 

I agree with most of that....

But as dopey as Trojan CB/S Josh Shaw's failed Jeddi stunt and subsequent cover-up was....it sounds like that was his only off the field screw-up and it sounds like the kid just panicked.

"I know about the issues he had this year, but I did plenty of background work on Shaw and I had no problem giving him a passing character grade when I turned in my report." -- NFC North area scout

And although I think Grigson will target a Safety earlier....if we don't, I'd be fine with us drafting Shaw in Round 4 and projecting him at S if he's still there and none of his ankle injuries have lingered....which appears to be the case.

Combine/Pro-Day Measurements

Height: 6'0" Weight: 201 lbs

Arm Length: 30 ¾" Hand Measurement: 9"

40-Yard Dash: 4.44 sec. 10-Yard Split: 1.54 sec.

20-Yard Shuttle: 4.12 sec. Three-Cone Drill: 7.01 sec. Bench Reps: 26 reps

Vertical Jump: 37 ½" Broad Jump: 10'10"

I don't know I think if by some miracle Randy Gregory fell I think Grigson would be running to the podium to get him. I also think Grigs might look into Dawson and I think that Derron Smith is already on our radar with the visits and workouts we have brought him in for.

Very few centers are drafted in the first round, and the few that do get drafted that high get drafted because they could also project as guard or center.

Grigson has said before he doesnt think you need an elite athlete at the C position. He has also said that he values versatility along the o line. Erving played what, half a season at C? The rest of his college career he played OT.

So hypothetically we draft him, and we put him in direct competition with Holmes. If Holmes comes out more impressive then ever and nails down the job, we can look at Erving as the RG or even RT. We wouldnt be stuck with a "backup" center, we would have a guy that could step up and play any of the 5 oline positions if we have an injury leaving us scrambling.

I dont know how good of an OT he is. My opinion of his play doesnt matter. Neither does yours. Its not your call to make. If Grigson thinks he can play multiple positions in the NFL, it is his pick to make. I am just saying it should come to a surprise to no one if he turns out to be our first pick. Maybe, even if he drops in the second round he is an option to us in a trade up scenario. To say we wouldnt even consider him in rd 3 or 4 simply because he is projected as a C (our weakest position along the o line) seems silly to me.

I don't know I think if by some miracle Randy Gregory fell I think Grigson would be running to the podium to get him. I also think Grigs might look into Dawson and I think that Derron Smith is already on our radar with the visits and workouts we have brought him in for.

We don't need anymore OLBs. Especially one that cant keep his weight up.

Don't agree on Gregory. You never want to touch a guy with substance abuse issues. Guys with "attitude" problems can be dealt with by them maturing over time and the presence of veterans to keep them in check.

I think Grigs would avoid Gregory at all costs. Dawson I could see because he just seems immature. Smith will likely end up in a horseshoe. Remember how much interest they showed in Jimmie Ward last year? He was also 5'10". This is their second chance at the same type of player basically. They won't pass again.

I think Grady/Bennett/Edwards/Smith would still very much be on his board, Earl Okine and Gannon Conway are below 300lbs as is Kelcy Quarles, Also I don't see them passing on a Safety because of his height(Though Grigson has not brought in a Bob Sanders sized 5'8" Safety....Im actually happy about that at that size).......Colts drafted John Boyett in the 6th round in 2013 and he was 5'10*

Very few centers are drafted in the first round, and the few that do get drafted that high get drafted because they could also project as guard or center.

Grigson has said before he doesnt think you need an elite athlete at the C position. He has also said that he values versatility along the o line. Erving played what, half a season at C? The rest of his college career he played OT.

So hypothetically we draft him, and we put him in direct competition with Holmes. If Holmes comes out more impressive then ever and nails down the job, we can look at Erving as the RG or even RT. We wouldnt be stuck with a "backup" center, we would have a guy that could step up and play any of the 5 oline positions if we have an injury leaving us scrambling.

I dont know how good of an OT he is. My opinion of his play doesnt matter. Neither does yours. Its not your call to make. If Grigson thinks he can play multiple positions in the NFL, it is his pick to make. I am just saying it should come to a surprise to no one if he turns out to be our first pick. Maybe, even if he drops in the second round he is an option to us in a trade up scenario. To say we wouldnt even consider him in rd 3 or 4 simply because he is projected as a C (our weakest position along the o line) seems silly to me.

Wait! It's not my call to make? Thanks for the info.

I realize he played most of his career at OT.....that was college. He won't play OT in the NFL unless it's an emergency situation.

I think Grady/Bennett/Edwards/Smith would still very much be on his board, Earl Okine and Gannon Conway are below 300lbs as is Kelcy Quarles, Also I don't see them passing on a Safety because of his height(Though Grigson has not brought in a Bob Sanders sized 5'8" Safety....Im actually happy about that at that size).......Colts drafted John Boyett in the 6th round in 2013 and he was 5'10*

The difference being those players were late round pick/depth/ST players. Not defensive building blocks.

The difference being those players were late round pick/depth/ST players. Not defensive building blocks.

Don't matter in my opinion, Grigson still showed interest in those players by having them on the roster, I think Grigson has made it pretty clear if he thinks you can play then if he can get ya on the roster then he will, I understand they will mostly be on special teams but Kelcy Quarles took defensive snaps last year. I don't think Grigson drafted or brought in those players only to limit how far they are capable of ascending...regardless if I think they will or not

No, actually. He wasn't. This is false information.

It wasnèt injuries it was poor play... again false information.

2014 Honors

Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner

All-ACC First Team - Left Tackle (Media/Coaches)

All-ACC Second Team – Center (Media)

All-ACC Third Team – Center (Coaches)

CBSSports.com All-America First Team

Scout.com All-America Second Team

Sports Illustrated All-America Honorable Mention

2013 Honors(where he played LT)

All-ACC First Team

Coaches All-ACC First Team

Sporting News All-America First Team

USA TODAY Sports All-America First Team

SI.com All-America First Team

Associated Press All-America Second Team

CBSSports.com All-America Second Team

Walter Camp All-America Second Team

SB Nation All-America Second Team

Lindy's All-America Second Team

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209572974

"As a junior in 2013, Erving was a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) selection.[3] He was also named a second-team All-American by the Associated Press. Erving started his senior season in 2014 as the starting left tackle, but was moved to center after an injury to Austin Barron."

Where is the false info that you claim I stated?

Don't agree on Gregory. You never want to touch a guy with substance abuse issues. Guys with "attitude" problems can be dealt with by them maturing over time and the presence of veterans to keep them in check.

I think Grigs would avoid Gregory at all costs. Dawson I could see because he just seems immature. Smith will likely end up in a horseshoe. Remember how much interest they showed in Jimmie Ward last year? He was also 5'10". This is their second chance at the same type of player basically. They won't pass again.

You might be right I guess idk what Grigs is thinking. I personally feel that Grigs would be happy to get Gregory at 29 regardless to the off the field stuff. I am not supporting it, but that is just my opinion on what I feel Grigs would do. I do remember the huge interest in Ward last year, but I also didn't see him going that high in the draft and I am thinking the front office felt the same way. I could easily see Smith ending up with the Colts.

I would think Josh Shaw might be an exception in the right round -- maybe third or fourth.

Derron Smith is the same height as John Boyett, but he's probably a a fourth round prospect, compared to Boyett who was drafted in the sixth. The Colts have some interest in him, as he was one of their official visits. Another guy they'd probably take in the right round.

I don't think Irving is worthy of a first round pick, given his position. People tout his versatility, but in his case, that's overstated. He's a center; his tackle play is underwhelming, and he'd be our 6th tackle at best. IMO, it's not that Grigson doesn't value centers (although it's true that he probably doesn't place a first round value on a center, but neither do I); it's that I don't think Irving is a first round prospect to begin with.

The tweener sized DL are options, but not early. I could see Grady Jarrett or Michael Bennett in the third round, should one of them last that long. 

Dawson and Peters are both players that any team should want, based on what they do on the field. But they are both just knuckleheadish enough to be scratched from the first three or four rounds. Dawson reportedly has a learning disability that sort of explains the rumors about study habits and coachability, but you couple that with showing up to the Combine with a soggy midsection, and it starts to look like he'll have some issues in the NFL. Plus he's not an ideal scheme fit. Peters is a first round talent, maybe the best corner in the draft, and a perfect fit for our defense, but has enough behavioral issues that he's also not a first round option.

It's really too bad on a lot of these guys. But the staff is trying to build the roster to be a long term contender. The players that will be drafted next weekend are the building blocks for that future. If you can't trust them to be professional and do the right thing, then your'e undermining your ability to contend. :: shrugs :: 

2014 Honors

All-ACC First Team - Left Tackle (Media/Coaches)

All-ACC Second Team – Center (Media)

All-ACC Third Team – Center (Coaches)

CBSSports.com All-America First Team

Scout.com All-America Second Team

Sports Illustrated All-America Honorable Mention

2013 Honors(where he played LT)

All-ACC First Team

Coaches All-ACC First Team

Sporting News All-America First Team

USA TODAY Sports All-America First Team

SI.com All-America First Team

Associated Press All-America Second Team

CBSSports.com All-America Second Team

Walter Camp All-America Second Team

SB Nation All-America Second Team

Lindy's All-America Second Team

http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209572974

"As a junior in 2013, Erving was a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) selection.[3] He was also named a second-team All-American by the Associated Press. Erving started his senior season in 2014 as the starting left tackle, but was moved to center after an injury to Austin Barron."

Where is the false info that you claim I stated?

BIG DIFFERENCE between First-team ALL ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE and ALL-AMERICAN. That is the false information.

Also, The injury was to Barron (starting C), against WAKE FOREST (week 6) and Erving moved to Center against MIAMI (week 12) because the week before Eli Harold literally destroyed him. Nice try, but all of this is still false information, at least you tried to cover it though. 

BIG DIFFERENCE between First-team ALL ATLANTIC COAST CONFERENCE and ALL-AMERICAN. That is the false information.

Also, The injury was to Barron (starting C), against WAKE FOREST (week 6) and Erving moved to Center against MIAMI (week 12) because the week before Eli Harold literally destroyed him. Nice try, but all of this is still false information, at least you tried to cover it though.

Are you just going to gloss over his USA Today All-American, SI All-American, AP 2nd team All-American honors. It's all in black in white in the previous post

Are you just going to gloss over his USA Today All-American, SI All-American, AP 2nd team All-American honors. It's all in black in white in the previous post

Those are MEDIA awards, usually given to the most POPULAR players. Only exception would be 2nd team All-American, again that DOESN'T make him a All-American. So yes, this is false information.

Skipping over the injury thing I see.

There should be no argument to this, Erving is a horrible OT no matter what "awards" he won. He will be drafted to play C, and thats it. Make up as much false information to sugarcoat it as you want, but watch any tape (ESPECIALLY Eli Harold, or Vic Beasley) it is so clear he's just not a good OT.

Those are MEDIA awards, usually given to the most POPULAR players. Only exception would be 2nd team All-American, again that DOESN'T make him a All-American. So yes, this is false information.

Skipping over the injury thing I see.

There should be no argument to this, Erving is a horrible OT no matter what "awards" he won. He will be drafted to play C, and thats it. Make up as much false information to sugarcoat it as you want, but watch any tape (ESPECIALLY Eli Harold, or Vic Beasley) it is so clear he's just not a good OT.

Smh Ok man, enjoy the day

Apparently this guy thinks a 2nd team all american doesnt qualify as all american. BOTT, if Grigson thinks he is worth consideration, that is all that matters. Because YOU say teams arent looking at him potentially as a tackle doesnt mean its true. That may be your opinion, but quite frankly, your opinion doesnt hold much weight in NFL circles. Realize that other people may not see it the sane way that you do. Media awards count. Second team awards count.

Don't be surprised or upset when you spit out false information and somebody corrects you. The injury thing is just straight up not true, the 2nd team All-American, and media awards are arguable.

Lol

So the center for the games before he moved to center didn't get injured?

"Starting center Austin Barron broke his arm in Saturday's 43-3 win against Wake Forest and is most likely lost for the year. It was the most serious injury, but far from the only one, for a team that has been dealing with them at a much higher rate in 2014."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/10/07/florida-state-injuries-austin-barron-rashad-greene/16854381/

Don't know how this is false information

And the awards are facts, not debatable

Lol

So the center for the games before he moved to center didn't get injured?

"Starting center Austin Barron broke his arm in Saturday's 43-3 win against Wake Forest and is most likely lost for the year. It was the most serious injury, but far from the only one, for a team that has been dealing with them at a much higher rate in 2014."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/10/07/florida-state-injuries-austin-barron-rashad-greene/16854381/

Don't know how this is false information

And the awards are facts, not debatable

Cameron Ervings first start was Miami week 12, Wake Forest was week 6. Erving made the switch the game after Eli Harold destroyed him. The injury was way before he started to start at Center... He moved because of poor play. That is why it is false information..

The media awards are debatable because they mean absolutely nothing.. They are popularity contests. You understand D'Qwell Jackson, and Andy Dalton were pro bowlers... right? It's the same thing if you wan't to figure out how a prospect plays the only effective way is to watch the tape.. Not looking at awards. That is why it is debatable.

Cameron Ervings first start was Miami week 12, Wake Forest was week 6. Erving made the switch the game after Eli Harold destroyed him. The injury was way before he started to start at Center... He moved because of poor play. That is why it is false information..

The media awards are debatable because they mean absolutely nothing.. They are popularity contests. You understand D'Qwell Jackson, and Andy Dalton were pro bowlers... right? It's the same thing if you wan't to figure out how a prospect plays the only effective way is to watch the tape.. Not looking at awards. That is why it is debatable.

College All-Americans are equivalent to NFL all-pros not pro bowlers

Jalen Collins, CB, LSU

PJ Williams, CB, FSU

Josh Shaw, DB, USC

Paul Dawson, LB, TCU

Cameron Irving, C, FSU

Grady Jarrett, Clemson

Preston Smith, EDGE/DT

Kevin White, TCU

Senquez Golson, Ole Miss

Quandre Diggs, Texas

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon

Very nice job of doing this.....     much appreciated.

I hope we make an exception for Smith at Fresno State.      I think he can play FS at the NFL level.

Now, with the Colts liking to have their safeties be able to play either one,  that may rule Smith out.

But, I hope not....

Ok you keep bringing up this Eli Harold game so I finally had time to sit and watch it.

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/eli-harold-vs-cameron-erving-2014/

Where is this utter dominance from Harold that you speak of? This was all in all a good game from Erving, Harold was pretty much a non factor in this game