Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Of The Worst Calls Ever

Go Blue Horseshoe

First of all, I am so excited that Indy pulled the upset last night in front on the home crowd, and I am even more excited that I actually got to see it (had to go over to my in-laws and stay til 11:30, but it was worth it). However, I have to admit that some of the calls that went against the Texans was total ^cowpatties^. For instance, there is NO WAY that those roughing the passer calls were correct. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that the flags were thrown because it helped the Colts get the win, but if I were a Houston fan I'd be pretty ticked off.

the only penalty on the last drive was the roughing the passer call. the others were legitimate penalties. we got a questionable penalty when they got Bethea for an unnecessary roughness call as he was going for the ball. Refs didn't influence the game. Houston could not close the deal period they had opportunities to put the Colts away but they couldn't do it.

the only penalty on the last drive was the roughing the passer call. the others were legitimate penalties. we got a questionable penalty when they got Bethea for an unnecessary roughness call as he was going for the ball. Refs didn't influence the game. Houston could not close the deal period they had opportunities to put the Colts away but they couldn't do it.

This is true about the penalty on Bethea, and I am not trying to take anything away from the Colts. They came up with some big plays at the right times, and they deserved to win, but I don't think you can say that officiating played no role in the outcome. The hands to the facemask and pass interference calls during the final drive were spot on I thought, but that roughing the passer call was huge, and there's no way that was roughing the passer. If the same call had been made against us wouldn't you be angry? I would. Again, I am so excited that they won the game, but I think it would be a bit hypocritical of me to say that the game was called fairly. If that would have been two teams that I cared nothing about playing last night I would be on here saying "Did anyone see how many awful calls were in that game last night?" Just because it was MY team playing doesn't mean that I'm not going to say the same thing. But I will repeat one more time, I am so happy for the Colts. Glad they got the win at home. They played hard, and I really enjoyed seeing them get the W.

Technically, by the book, those were all correct calls, including the roughing by Bethea. The Carson Palmer rule (going low on QB, especially from behind), the James Harrison rule, and the Patriots rule (mugging receivers P.I.) At least, that's the names I have given them when they were put in place. These are the things that have transformed this game from defense to passing, and thus the premium on getting an franchise or elite QB. I don't know where it stops, but at least there's hope. The Roughing the passer where a defenders hand brushes the QB helmet is not going to get a flag anymore. So maybe they can further define when these infractions above really are not. But one thing will never change, helmet (or shoulder) to helmet on a QB in throwing motion (or just finishing it) or on a receiver (whether you are going for the ball or not) in the process of securing a catch will be flagged. I wouldn't have Bethea play that one any other way or change his style, but I am prepared to see 15 yards walked off if any part of the defender contacts the head of the receiver. Which is what happened. I have this game on HD-DVR, maybe I revisit the plays for higher scrutiny and see If I still maintain the opinion I got watching in real time.

Interesting fact- We are the first team in NFL history with 1 or less wins to defeat a team with 10 or more wins

^Spot on. The calls on the last drive were correct whether it would have been us or the texans. I had the privilege to watch the game with a room full of Texans fans down here. In my opinion, the calls were correct. I agree that the calls won us the game, but that's a composure issue for the Texans. A game against a 1-13 team should not be close enough to leave it up to the refs. I don't care what their injury situation is. They have have beaten two teams that are in the playoff hunt with T.J. Yates without Andre. They have a great defense.

ALL of those calls on the final drive were correct. That's what the rules are. We can certainly argue that the rules are pathetic, but the refs are supposed to make calls by the rules NOT by if they think the rules are good. The calls were correct. The rules may be silly.

The roughing the passer was NOT a correct call. If anything Watt was blocked into Orlovsky. The others were good calls, but that one was a joke.

First of all, I am so excited that Indy pulled the upset last night in front on the home crowd, and I am even more excited that I actually got to see it (had to go over to my in-laws and stay til 11:30, but it was worth it). However, I have to admit that some of the calls that went against the Texans was total ^cowpatties^. For instance, there is NO WAY that those roughing the passer calls were correct. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that the flags were thrown because it helped the Colts get the win, but if I were a Houston fan I'd be pretty ticked off.

You can't touch a QBs facemask and can't hit them low behind the knee late. The helmet to helmet call wasn't a good call IMO.

I don't like seeing silly calls (because of silly rules) affect the outcome like it did last night. We haven't gotten those kind of calls all season, so it kind of evens out I suppose.

I didn't like the roughing the passer call, but on the last play of our previous possession, it looked like Orlavsky got smacked on the head by the defender with no call, so again, it all evens out.

If the roles were reveresed here, my walls would have been in serious danger (along with my remotes) when that roughing the passer flag came in.

That was the weakest of the weaksauce. I don't care if it's technically correct. There was no reason for a flag there, and if I'm the Texans I'm ticked off today.

Those calls were absolutely terrible. When Watt was pushed onto Orlovsky he was called for roughing the passer. He was PUSHED onto his legs.

But at the end of the day if 3 or 4 bad calls separates a team like the Texans from a 1-13 Colts team then there's something wrong.

Technically the calls were correct, but no one likes them. But that's were the league is headed. The refs made the right calls but the rules just suck imo.

QFT. They might as well just start putting the red jerseys on the QBs especially after seeing that first roughing the passer call against Houston.

I hate to see what rules they come up next in the name of safety.

A game against a 1-13 team should not be close enough to leave it up to the refs. I don't care what their injury situation is. They have have beaten two teams that are in the playoff hunt with T.J. Yates without Andre. They have a great defense.

Agreed. Texans got hosed, but they put themselves in a position to be hosed with their poor play throughout the game. If they had taken care of business and put Indy away like they should be capable of, the ridiculous penalties would have been irrelevant. This is an example of why you don't let a weak team hang around.

Also, I was yelling for the Colts to go for the TD on some of those close field goals. You know, lets be aggressive, what do you have to lose, etc., etc. The typical nonsense spouted by a desperate fan at the end of a miserable season. There is a good chance, however, that not taking the short field goals when they were available would have resulted in a loss last night.

How about the head-to-head contact call on US...?

There needs to be a rules conference/...because the poor refs dont know what to call..

...all the calls last night were technically correct...but they were not intenetional intent to injure..

Oddly...Orlovasky got arm-barred in the head late by a Texan and there was no call.

He hit Dan in the head no doubt. Good call. How about the pass interference call on Bethea i think it was. He wasnt early if anything he was a hair late. It was a clean hit/tackle.

Those calls on the last drive may not be called all the time, but nevertheless they are still the right calls. Orlovsky had the out of his hands for a second or two and he was still within the hashmarks. To make matters worse, Watt hit him low which is a double whammy. They have to call that everytime.

On the pass interference on the 5 yard line; That could have gone either way, but they called the right call. If they didn't call that, everyone on this forum would be ticked and be barking at the no-call. Quin's contact with Tamme caused Jacob to miss the ball and get no touchdown.

Finally, the hands to the face penalty was the right call too as Watt put his hands all over Ryan's face. There was a ref staring at that side of the line as JJ was very active during the game, so the refs pay more attention to him than anyone else. Anyways, they caught him doing that and it was the right call.

Now, some of you may think I'm being a little bias, but there was some calls during the game that went against the Texans that I disagreed. Plus, it's about time that a game went the Colts way... 1998 Colts vs 49ers and the 03 AFC Championship.

Those calls on the last drive may not be called all the time, but nevertheless they are still the right calls. Orlovsky had the out of his hands for a second or two and he was still within the hashmarks. To make matters worse, Watt hit him low which is a double whammy. They have to call that everytime.

Watching a lot of games, I see this play ALL the time and RARELY is it called.

Talking with other fans a few weeks ago and there is a strong need in the NFL for full time refs (the NFL can afford it). It might make things a bit better than these part-timers calling games right now. The worst play I saw this year was an incomplete forward pass ruled a laterial and the other team awarded control of the ball?!? Took a coach's challenge for the refs to make the correct call that everyone on the field, in the stands and watching TV to realize.

Overall, I don't know a team this year that hasn't complained about the refs ability to call the game.

again Houston did not get hosed the one call maybe but the rest were right on. Houston lost because they could not put us away early and let the Colts stay in the game to even have the chance to go on a game winning drive. there are bacd calls in every game and this one was no different.

As a Texans fan, I was initially ticked and ready to kick a hole in my TV. But I calmed down after a few hours and re-watched the game.

In regards to the last drive, I'm more angry at the rules themselves. They were mostly technically correct, but very tick-tack. Like a PI at the 5.5 yard line to put the Colts right at the 1 yard line? Ummm.... Ok. Watt was pushed into Dan O's knees, but easy for the ref to just see the result only, so I can understand the refs aren't perfect. The only blatant call they missed was the intentional grounding on Dan O. He got immediate pressure threw it immediately in the back of the end zone with no one in sight.

Overall, though, I'm more ticked at the Texans than the refs.

That's the Tom Brady Rule, like it or not it's a rule. It's why everyone complained about it when the league came up with it because they said it stupid for a D-lineman that got knocked to the ground to have to completely back to his feet before he touch the QB. It's a bad rule but it was called right last night.

That was my problem with the announcers last night, they would say "well I don't like that rule". Just because you don't like a rule doesn't mean you don't call it.

Finally, the hands to the face penalty was the right call too as Watt put his hands all over Ryan's face. There was a ref staring at that side of the line as JJ was very active during the game, so the refs pay more attention to him than anyone else. Anyways, they caught him doing that and it was the right call.

Right that's why you have to becareful when you listen to annoucers they went nuts when that flag came out because they thought it was called for the tackle on Orlovsky but when they showed the replay it was clear it was called for the guy almost knocking Diem's helmet off he got his hands under his face mask.

He hit Dan in the head no doubt. Good call. How about the pass interference call on Bethea i think it was. He wasnt early if anything he was a hair late. It was a clean hit/tackle.

He got called for hitting with the helmet. That's why defenders hate that call if oyu watch the replay it's the WR who leans his head into Bethea. Again bad rule but was called right under the rule. Bethea will probably get a fine as well because that's the way the NFL is dealing with that now.

Watching a lot of games, I see this play ALL the time and RARELY is it called.

Talking with other fans a few weeks ago and there is a strong need in the NFL for full time refs (the NFL can afford it). It might make things a bit better than these part-timers calling games right now. The worst play I saw this year was an incomplete forward pass ruled a laterial and the other team awarded control of the ball?!? Took a coach's challenge for the refs to make the correct call that everyone on the field, in the stands and watching TV to realize.

Overall, I don't know a team this year that hasn't complained about the refs ability to call the game.

Hey, every game has good calls and bad calls, and every team feels like they get shafted sometimes, but that's just part of the game. I don't think the refs being part time refs are the problem, I just think that the game's speed is just getting faster and faster and it's harder for them to keep up as most of them are in their late 50's/60's.

Now like I said, those calls on the last drive may not be called all the time, but that doesn't mean it's not right. It was the right call and I'm not trying to be bias.

while that roughing the passer play on the final drive was garbage so was bethea's unnecessary roughness. turn about is fair play

Both calls were almost incidental, but both were technically correct within the letter of the rules.

Bethea did in fact initiate Head to Head contact, but it was not viscious, nor was it intentional. He was going for the ball, not the man. But it was helmet to helmet.

Call on Watt was same thing. Not intentional, but his own man forced him into Orlovsky low and from behind.

Both calls were almost incidental, but both were technically correct within the letter of the rules.

Bethea did in fact initiate Head to Head contact, but it was not viscious, nor was it intentional. He was going for the ball, not the man. But it was helmet to helmet.

Call on Watt was same thing. Not intentional, but his own man forced him into Orlovsky low and from behind.

i understand the rule of the call, but that was a football hit. the nfl is turing into a a little girl league

i understand the rule of the call, but that was a football hit. the nfl is turing into a a little girl league

Which I think reenforces what people are trying to say the issue is the rule not the calls. The calls were right according to the rules. However the rules are just not good rules which is what most people have said since they were put in.

Which I think reenforces what people are trying to say the issue is the rule not the calls. The calls were right according to the rules. However the rules are just not good rules which is what most people have said since they were put in.

So how do you solve the problem of launching head first into your opponent with the sole purpose of inflicting injury, not stopping the play. Especially if you are not big enough or strong enough to play the game any other way.

I know, cut the top out of the helmet so it looks kinda like the head cover boxers use when they spar. Just keep the same material as football uses now, and keep the face mask.

So how do you solve the problem of launching head first into your opponent with the sole purpose of inflicting injury, not stopping the play. Especially if you are not big enough or strong enough to play the game any other way.

I know, cut the top out of the helmet so it looks kinda like the head cover boxers use when they spar. Just keep the same material as football uses now, and keep the face mask.

when you put on that helmet you know your putting your life on the line to play this game. injuries are gonna happen its a part of the game and i know the league is just trying to protect the players but there is a fine line between protecting the players and not treating them like men.