Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 week away Colts Draft

This is a draft I'd love to see happen. First off, I am a big supporter of trading down for more picks, but if a stud is there we should also take him. With that said here is my mock...

1 - DT Malcom Brown, Texas (I think most agree that our first pick needs to be defense or RT. This pick gives us a very talented player on the DL to play both NT on passing downs and DT on running downs. I still have my reservations on Langford, and you can never have enough talent on the DL anyhow.)

2- FS Damarious Randall, ASU (Indy has been linked to him already, and he would be a huge upgrade as a cover safety. Indy has lacked a great cover safety for awhile and adding Randall will give the Colts someone who can cover TEs and the deep part of the field. )

Indy trades 2016 2nd round pick for early 2015 3rd round pick and 2016 5th.

3 (via trade)- RB Duke Johnson, Miami (Indy doesnt have an explosive runner on the roster, so getting a guy like Johnson would make Grigson salivate on the potential of this offense after adding him. He has had comparisons to Lesean McCoy, and as long as Indy doesnt overwork him, he could be special)

3- OT Donovon Smith, PSU (He could be a great RT or OG in the NFL, and the Colts could use him at RG or as a backup until 2016 when he takes the starting RT spot from Cherilus.)

4- DE Henry Anderson, Stanford (Remember what I said about never having enough quality DLmen? Here is another pick for that. Anderson also offers decent pass rush from the DE position.)

5- SS Clayton Geathers, UCF (Gives Indy a tough SS who could start longterm next to Randall.)

6- CB Jacorey Shepherd, Kansas (Indy needs depth at CB behind Davis, Toler, and Butler.)

6- CB Ladarius Gunter, Miami (Same explanation as before)

7- DE/OLB Deion Barnes, PSU (Grigson likes his Big Ten guys, and Barnes can add depth at OLB.)

7 (comp pick) - ILB Trey Depriest, Alabama (Decent value at the bottom of the draft, and adds depth at ILB.)

Well....   it's only a week away if the NFL moves up the draft a full day.

The draft is next Thursday.    Today is only Wednesday.    You're a day early....

That said,   I love the names, but don't think most of them will be available when you have us picking them.

Brown should be long gone.    I hope Randall is there.     Smith, Anderson and Gaethers I expect will be gone....

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.    I'd love for this to happen....

Brown is looking like a Top 15 pick, has been for the last 2 months... I don't see a reason why he'd drop so far. Can't see it.

All the buzz on Randall has been high round 2, or even late 1 (We have been mentioned in RD1, a full round earlier than your mock) just can't see it happening, we'd probably have to reach for him at 29.

Don't think Duke will be there at 61 let alone early third. I also don't like the trade. I'd rather give up 93 and something else smaller not a future pick.

Good pick in Smith, I'd like it and thats around where I see his value lying, but I've seen some mocks with him a bit higher, but this could happen.

I think Gathers and Anderson are long gone by those picks aswell. 

Would I like it if it happened? Yes. Am I able to really get into it as a mock? No, IMO way to many stretches to take seriously. Nice work and effort though. 

3 (via trade)- RB Duke Johnson, Miami (Indy doesnt have an explosive runner on the roster, so getting a guy like Johnson would make Grigson salivate on the potential of this offense after adding him. He has had comparisons to Lesean McCoy, and as long as Indy doesnt overwork him, he could be special)

That's the kind of trade I think we should look at. And I like the player.

Just a pet peeve of mine around this time of year: Every mock is met with the same "that player won't be there" response. No one knows the future. Draft surprises happen every year, including some that no one expected. Players go earlier than expected, and later than expected. Some players have a wide consensus (someone calls him a second rounder, someone else calls him a fourth rounder). We can't really know.

Some mocks are totally unrealistic, but most of them are projections based on at least a little research, and a lot of opinion. 

:: puts away soap box :: 

Carry on. Don't mind me.

You're right about a trade, but not that one.  We need a quality OT, from a performance and financial standpoint (check Cherilus's health and comp$$$ for the next 2 years.)  To get the OT we want, we'll need to move ahead of the Panthers and the Broncos.  I expect we will trade up for the Cardinal's #24 spot, by trading them a tight end who is currently training in AZ.  They may even through in a 4th or a 5th, especially if they acquire AP.     

Just a pet peeve of mine around this time of year: Every mock is met with the same "that player won't be there" response. No one knows the future. Draft surprises happen every year, including some that no one expected. Players go earlier than expected, and later than expected. Some players have a wide consensus (someone calls him a second rounder, someone else calls him a fourth rounder). We can't really know.

Some mocks are totally unrealistic, but most of them are projections based on at least a little research, and a lot of opinion.

Carry on. Don't mind me.

I was just about to say this same thing. There is way too much "He won't be there when the Colts pick" going around. I think alot of people are overrating some of these prospects. People here had Yawin Snallwood as a 2nd-3rd round pick last year and I think he went in the 6th. People liked Dion Bailey as a 4th rounder and he went undrafted. So I wouldn't post much attention to that.

With that being said this is a great mock. I could see Grigson trading a future pick to get a great talent. Great mock.

I was just about to say this same thing. There is way too much "He won't be there when the Colts pick" going around. I think alot of people are overrating some of these prospects. People here had Yawin Snallwood as a 2nd-3rd round pick last year and I think he went in the 6th. People liked Dion Bailey as a 4th rounder and he went undrafted. So I wouldn't post much attention to that.

With that being said this is a great mock. I could see Grigson trading a future pick to get a great talent. Great mock.

Smallwood went at the end of the 7th. Fourth to last player drafted. No one saw that coming. Same on Bailey. 

It's different if you're mocking Dante Fowler to us. Some stuff is just completely devoid of reality. But sometimes it's "he won't be there at 61, he's a top 50 guy!" That's really not unrealistic at all.

I'm just sayin. 

This is a draft I'd love to see happen. First off, I am a big supporter of trading down for more picks, but if a stud is there we should also take him. With that said here is my mock...

1 - DT Malcom Brown, Texas (I think most agree that our first pick needs to be defense or RT. This pick gives us a very talented player on the DL to play both NT on passing downs and DT on running downs. I still have my reservations on Langford, and you can never have enough talent on the DL anyhow.)

2- FS Damarious Randall, ASU (Indy has been linked to him already, and he would be a huge upgrade as a cover safety. Indy has lacked a great cover safety for awhile and adding Randall will give the Colts someone who can cover TEs and the deep part of the field. )

3- OT Donovon Smith, PSU (He could be a great RT or OG in the NFL, and the Colts could use him at RG or as a backup until 2016 when he takes the starting RT spot from Cherilus.)

4- DE Henry Anderson, Stanford (Remember what I said about never having enough quality DLmen? Here is another pick for that. Anderson also offers decent pass rush from the DE position.)

5- SS Clayton Geathers, UCF (Gives Indy a tough SS who could start longterm next to Randall.)

6- CB Jacorey Shepherd, Kansas (Indy needs depth at CB behind Davis, Toler, and Butler.)

6- CB Ladarius Gunter, Miami (Same explanation as before)

7- DE/OLB Deion Barnes, PSU (Grigson likes his Big Ten guys, and Barnes can add depth at OLB.)

7 (comp pick) - ILB Trey Depriest, Alabama (Decent value at the bottom of the draft, and adds depth at ILB.)

Obama-bucks-animated-money-gif.gif

I would rather trade up further to the 2nd round to get Ameer

His trade keeps our 2015 picks, and costs a 2016 2nd. To move up in the 2nd, it probably requires giving up our 2015 2nd plus the same 2016 2nd. That's why I prefer his way.

Abdullah vs Duke? Yeah I get that. Just saying I like Duke, especially as a change back.

His trade keeps our 2015 picks, and costs a 2016 2nd. To move up in the 2nd, it probably requires giving up our 2015 2nd plus the same 2016 2nd. That's why I prefer his way.

Abdullah vs Duke? Yeah I get that. Just saying I like Duke, especially as a change back.

Thats fair and i get that, to be honest i havent really looked much at Duke, but have read alot about his size...if he turns into the next darren sproles yes please

Im thinking that Ameer could learn alot more from Gore about the way he plays

Thats fair and i get that, to be honest i havent really looked much at Duke, but have read alot about his size...if he turns into the next darren sproles yes please

Im thinking that Ameer could learn alot more from Gore about the way he plays

Duke is much closer to Shady McCoy than Sproles...

Abdullah puts the ball on the ground to much for my liking.

Yea if he's coughing it up like that in college, the NFL will have a field day with him. I really think he can be a good back but of you can't hold on to the ball all of that talent means nothing.

I'm usually of the opinion that fumbles are correctable and just require a little tweak to carrying mechanics, so I don't really have a problem if a guy had a fumbling issue in college, but it's not the way Ameer carries the ball, it's the fact he has incredibly small hands. I can't really see him getting that fixed.

I'm usually of the opinion that fumbles are correctable and just require a little tweak to carrying mechanics, so I don't really have a problem if a guy had a fumbling issue in college, but it's not the way Ameer carries the ball, it's the fact he has incredibly small hands. I can't really see him getting that fixed.

Grip strength exercises would help, but I'm sure they've tried everything to help correct it if I had to guess. Hopefully he gets it figured out one way or another or he's going to have a really short career.

Langford has small hands, too, and fumbled once every 123 touches. So it's probably a mix of the two.

Carry on. Don't mind me.

I just posted in another thread that the last two mock I saw did not even have Malcolm Brown in them and I was shocked.  It's gonna be fun.