Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2nd round RB or bust

So to me there are arguably 6 to 8 rbs that are at the top of the rb draft class. Gordon and Gurley are most likely going to be drafted in the 1st. I think 2 or 3 backs will go in the 2nd before us. I don't trust T.j. Yeldon myself and there's something about there is something about David Johnson I don't like. Any one of Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, Duke Johnson, or Jay Ajayi to me would be a good pick. To get one of those we will have to give up a second round pick. If we can't get one of them them I think we should hold off on a rb til the late rounds and grab someone like Trey Williams and go all defense with maybe a o linemen for depth.

Well....   I think you've got the right top-8 names.     And I personally think all of them are gone by the end of the 3rd round.

I think the four you're interested in -- Coleman, Abdullah, Johnson and Ajayi -- are the four I have with 2nd round grades.   I do think that one will be there when we pick at 61.

That said,   I think we have too many other needs that need a high pick, and with the quality and depth of RB's in this class, I think we can find a very good back in the 4th round.

I've got five candidates:    Mike Davis,  Buck Allen,  David Cobb,  Jeremy Langford,  Mike Jones.     I think one of those five will get drafted by the Colts.

Now, if it turns out you're right, I think that tells me that we LOVE the player we're taking in the 2nd or 3rd round.    Maybe even feel like he's a steal where we take him.

I just see too many other needs to take a RB that high....   but there are very good backs this year and anything is possible.....

I've got five candidates:    Mike Davis,  Buck Allen,  David Cobb,  Jeremy Langford,  Mike Jones.     I think one of those five will get drafted by the Colts.

We can't draft any of those guys.  Mike Davis is too generic of a name.  Need something with a bit more pizzazz.  Buck Allen would work but we already have Dwayne Allen....can't have too many Allen's on the same team.  Same deal with Langford...we just signed Kendall so we don't have room to sign another Langford.  I knew a guy named Mike Jones...he would have been a better OL than RB so that rules Mike Jones out as well.  Who else ya got?

I just don't want to draft a guy in the mid rounds that is going to be so-so and waste a pick when we have some guys on the roster that are so-so already. If we go 2nd round this year we could have our rb of the future and Gore here to mentor and split carries with him.

We can't draft any of those guys.  Mike Davis is too generic of a name.  Need something with a bit more pizzazz.  Buck Allen would work but we already have Dwayne Allen....can't have too many Allen's on the same team.  Same deal with Langford...we just signed Kendall so we don't have room to sign another Langford.  I knew a guy named Mike Jones...he would have been a better OL than RB so that rules Mike Jones out as well.  Who else ya got?

Thanks!     I needed that!       :thmup:

Well....   I think you've got the right top-8 names.     And I personally think all of them are gone by the end of the 3rd round.

I think the four you're interested in -- Coleman, Abdullah, Johnson and Ajayi -- are the four I have with 2nd round grades.   I do think that one will be there when we pick at 61.

That said,   I think we have too many other needs that need a high pick, and with the quality and depth of RB's in this class, I think we can find a very good back in the 4th round.

Now, if it turns out you're right, I think that tells me that we LOVE the player we're taking in the 2nd or 3rd round.    Maybe even feel like he's a steal where we take him.

I just see too many other needs to take a RB that high....   but there are very good backs this year and anything is possible.....

Give me Mike Davis in the 4th.... a steal.

Give me Mike Davis in the 4th.... a steal.

Yeah....   I'm not predicting Davis could fall that far.    It wouldn't even surprise me if he's taken in the 3rd.   Maybe even by the Colts.

I just think there will be solid options when we finally pick in the 4th round.    Seems like a good spot to take a guy as our back-up RB and perhaps future starting RB.   (after Gore is done.)

Yeah....   I'm not predicting Davis could fall that far.    It wouldn't even surprise me if he's taken in the 3rd.   Maybe even by the Colts.

I just think there will be solid options when we finally pick in the 4th round.    Seems like a good spot to take a guy as our back-up RB and perhaps future starting RB.   (after Gore is done.)

I think he could easily be there. I don't see how all those backs are going to go as high as they are all projected to go. You are talking about 1/3 of the teams taking a RB in the first 3 rounds. I am just not sure how realistic that is. I think we end up with a very good back in the 4th(Davis).

I think he could easily be there. I don't see how all those backs are going to go as high as they are all projected to go. You are talking about 1/3 of the teams taking a RB in the first 3 rounds. I am just not sure how realistic that is. I think we end up with a very good back in the 4th(Davis).

That's my hope.

That perhaps one of the four 2nd round guys (Ajayi, Abdullah, Coleman and Johnson) slips to the 3rd round pushing other guys down.

The hitch in all this is my old favorite saying around draft time...... 

"Everyone sees the same thing differently."  

So, if another team has Davis ranked perhaps as the 7th best RB,  he could go early in the 3rd round and be gone before we get a chance at him in that round....    it's just so unpredictable.

That's why I've got five guys listed.   I feel safe in predicting that one of those guys (possibly more)  would be there at our pick 129,  and that we'd be happy to have any of those five.

Just thinking out loud.....

Cameron Artis-Payne

I just don't want to draft a guy in the mid rounds that is going to be so-so and waste a pick when we have some guys on the roster that are so-so already. If we go 2nd round this year we could have our rb of the future and Gore here to mentor and split carries with him.

Running backs don't need mentors. Take handoff, hit hole, run fast.....it's not that hard.

I agree 100%.

I'm really, really hoping for Coleman but will settle for Duke Johnson.

Yeah.... I'm not predicting Davis could fall that far. It wouldn't even surprise me if he's taken in the 3rd. Maybe even by the Colts.

I just think there will be solid options when we finally pick in the 4th round. Seems like a good spot to take a guy as our back-up RB and perhaps future starting RB. (after Gore is done.)

Same. I think you have to take Davis in the third round. If you want a RB in round 4, look for Langford. A jack off all trades at RB.

I'd take Johnson over him all day, Ajayi is alright but he seems like just a guy to me, Not bad by any means but doesn't do anything eye popping

Ajayi is basically Le'Veon Bell. Give him a year to get some technical stuff under control and you have a 1,300 yard rusher who can also get another 500 through the air.

Agreed, deep RB draft and not a lot of seperation between them (after the first 2 picks).

Possible 5th rounders that can produce now.

Josh Robinson - Miss St - played big time compitition and put up numbers. Hard to bring down MJD'ish

Karl's Williams - FSU - played against the best and hits the hole fast and is a burner but powerful. Plus good receiver.

Dominique Brown - Louisville - very strong, fast and a good receiver