Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Winston's own lawyer says he needs to grow-up off the field....

NewColtsFan

Coming, as it does,  during a week that Tampa is meeting with his client and the other contender for the #1 overall draft spot,  this is a very bizarre quote for Winston's lawyer to make.

Not that most people don't know this, but you don't need to be putting it out there at this point either...   Plus,   there are more interesting quotes from the lawyer given at a sports symposium today...

Click and read the story and pay close attention to what the lawyer is saying about his own client....

Strange.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484680/article/jameis-winston-needs-to-grow-up-off-the-field-his-attorney-says

Coming, as it does, during a week that Tampa is meeting with his client and the other contender for the #1 overall draft spot, this is a very bizarre quote for Winston's lawyer to make.

Not that most people don't know this, but you don't need to be putting it out there at this point either... Plus, there are more interesting quotes from the lawyer given at a sports symposium today...

Click and read the story and pay close attention to what the lawyer is saying about his own client....

Strange.....

It's more than strange to me, NewColtsFan! This story was put out for everyone to see. This was done on purpose for a reason. I really wish I knew what that reason was. It totally befuddles me. I see a train wreck coming ... from which direction is the question. Sure the guy is young. Sure most people do not fully mature at age 20. This is different, though. I just cannot begin to think why this was put out so close to the draft. If anyone can weigh in on this, please do. Everyone I've contacted has no clue, either. Theories. Yes. Clues or the truth, no.

ONE

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484680/article/jameis-winston-needs-to-grow-up-off-the-field-his-attorney-says

So, later on in the same day, the lawyer has caught wind of how poorly his comments were taken and he attempted to walk them back.    He did a decent job,  but still....

The context he offered was this....   he was at a sports symposium and he was trying to comment on all athletes.   He noted the NFL has been putting on rookie symposium's for several years now (true) to try and get these kids ready for life they're about to enter.  Life off the field.     The hangers on,  the women,  the alcohol,  the drugs,  etc....    The lawyer says he was saying that almost no rookie is ready for this world....

He wasn't trying to single out his client....

Put in that context....  and since he's a veteran sports attorney that's very highly thought of....   OK....  I'll cut him some slack....  but as the words were coming out of his mouth earlier in the day,  their needed to be a voice in his said that was saying....  "these words could come back to haunt me, and pretty quickly!"

Not a great day for the lawyer....   but a decent save.....

So, later on in the same day, the lawyer has caught wind of how poorly his comments were taken and he attempted to walk them back.    He did a decent job,  but still....

The context he offered was this....   he was at a sports symposium and he was trying to comment on all athletes.   He noted the NFL has been putting on rookie symposium's for several years now (true) to try and get these kids ready for life they're about to enter.  Life off the field.     The hangers on,  the women,  the alcohol,  the drugs,  etc....    The lawyer says he was saying that almost no rookie is ready for this world....

Put in that context....  and since he's a veteran sports attorney that's very highly thought of....   OK....  I'll cut him some slack....  but as the words were coming out of his mouth earlier in the day,  their needed to be a voice in his said that was saying....  "these words could come back to haunt me, and pretty quickly!"

Ah, okay. I'm with ya. Man, from the way the article first read and the calls I made it just seemed there was much more teeth to this. Like I stated before, why in the world would Winston's attorney make a statement like that so close to the draft? Makes a little more sense now. Still not 100% convinced though. I guess we'll see. Thanks for clarifying.

ONE

Well, he sure as heck had to say something....because my first impression from his earlier comments was to wonder "exactly WHAT does he know about Winston that we haven't already heard?"

IMO....Tampa Bay better give this Winston business one hell of a lot of thought anyway, because we're not talking about a once-in-a-generation prospect. He's good and he appears to have some QB smarts...but off the field risks discount those positives when allegations like his, and sketchy handling by authorities, are considered.  

I, for one, wouldn't blame them if they traded down and took one of the premier pass rushers to build onto a pretty good, young Front 7 with....OR....the WR of their choice to bookend with Mike Evans and help Glennon out with.

I'd be calling Top 10 teams....or Chip Kelly....and queuing up some trade-down contingencies.  

stupid is as stupid does...   the entire Winston camp ...      His lawyer may have been trying to help him.

Every thing about J Winston just seems fake to me.    Every interview GIANT smile, and says all the right things.    ......  yet?

Buyer beware.....

He is pointing out what is true for a large portion of the rookie camp... most (Winston among them) are not emotionally mature enough to go from poor college student athlete to multi millionaire in an instant.  Kids that made/make poor choices when broke can make bigger mistakes when flush with money.  He is pointing this out and He does not shy away from the fact that Winston's maturity issues are a dark cloud that follows him.

The fans in Tampa area seem split on taking Mariota over Winston.  Jaws likes Mariota for Tampa better.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/04/13/will-marcus-mariota-and-not-jameis-winston-be-the-no-1-pichttp://forums.colts.com/topic/37548-winstons-own-lawyer-says-he-needs-to-grow-up-off-the-field/ and even Warren Sapp is still welcomed with open arms.k-in-the-nfl-draft/

I hear one of the Glazer owners (Darcie) is not fond of Winston, and worried about community acceptance.  This is hard for me to swallow, coming from a team the Employed - Aqib Talib, Jerramy Stevens, Eric Wright, Michael Pittman, and even Warren Sapp... who is still welcomed with open arms at One Buc Place.

But Lovie Smith, OC Dirk  Koetter, and QB Coach Mike Bajakian went to Oregon and instrumented a private workout with Mariota recently. 

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Mariota-Meets-Challenge-in-Bucs-Workout/5fc0d134-f2bf-41cf-9964-ed0afcd8e93b

There's still a chance the Bucs don't take Winston, believe it or not.

stupid is as stupid does... the entire Winston camp ... His lawyer may have been trying to help him.

Every thing about J Winston just seems fake to me. Every interview GIANT smile, and says all the right things. ...... yet?

Buyer beware.....

Agree. He is bound to do something boneheadedly stupid before he ever takes his first nfl snap

He is pointing out what is true for a large portion of the rookie camp... most (Winston among them) are not emotionally mature enough to go from poor college student athlete to multi millionaire in an instant.  Kids that made/make poor choices when broke can make bigger mistakes when flush with money.  He is pointing this out and He does not shy away from the fact that Winston's maturity issues are a dark cloud that follows him.

The fans in Tampa area seem split on taking Mariota over Winston.  Jaws likes Mariota for Tampa better.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/04/13/will-marcus-mariota-and-not-jameis-winston-be-the-no-1-pichttp://forums.colts.com/topic/37548-winstons-own-lawyer-says-he-needs-to-grow-up-off-the-field/ and even Warren Sapp is still welcomed with open arms.k-in-the-nfl-draft/

I hear one of the Glazer owners (Darcie) is not fond of Winston, and worried about community acceptance.  This is hard for me to swallow, coming from a team the Employed - Aqib Talib, Jerramy Stevens, Eric Wright, Michael Pittman, and even Warren Sapp... who is still welcomed with open arms at One Buc Place.

But Lovie Smith, OC Dirk  Koetter, and QB Coach Mike Bajakian went to Oregon and instrumented a private workout with Mariota recently. 

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Mariota-Meets-Challenge-in-Bucs-Workout/5fc0d134-f2bf-41cf-9964-ed0afcd8e93b

There's still a chance the Bucs don't take Winston, believe it or not.

Yeah, ColtsBlueFL, there's more to this story than meets the eye. Has been the absolute buzz all over the place last two days. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bucs take Mariotta. I don't think that will happen. But it's possible given all the info that we do not see. Usually, where there's smoke there's fire comes to mind. Cannot see Lovie changing his mind. This whole thing is strange just as NewColtsFan pointed out earlier along with myself. The fashioned way that this was put out was intentional to say the least. Strikes me very odd. I guess we'll find out in time.

Yeah, ColtsBlueFL, there's more to this story than meets the eye. Has been the absolute buzz all over the place last two days. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bucs take Mariotta. I don't think that will happen. But it's possible given all the info that we do not see. Usually, where there's smoke there's fire comes to mind. Cannot see Lovie changing his mind. This whole thing is strange just as NewColtsFan pointed out earlier along with myself. The fashioned way that this was put out was intentional to say the least. Strikes me very odd. I guess we'll find out in time.

I think if the pick had to be in today, Winston becomes a Buccaneer.  But there is still time for something else to sound the alarm.  Tampa is certainly doing their due diligence flying out to Oregon to work Mariota out privately, and to their own created agenda of 45 specified throws.  but if Bucs take Winston, what do Titans do?  Take Mariota themselves?  Trade to another team?   Do they pass on a QB and Mariota falls?  How far? Do Redskins, Jets, Browns, etc pull the trigger?  Interesting draft this one is.

I think if the pick had to be in today, Winston becomes a Buccaneer.  But there is still time for something else to sound the alarm.  Tampa is certainly doing their due diligence flying out to Oregon to work Mariota out privately, and to their own created agenda of 45 specified throws.  but if Bucs take Winston, what do Titans do?  Take Mariota themselves?  Trade to another team?   Do they pass on a QB and Mariota falls?  How far? Do Redskins, Jets, Browns, etc pull the trigger?  Interesting draft this one is.

It sure will be (interesting draft). Imagine if Tampa Bay __really__ is impressed with Mariota. Talk about throwing a wrench into the works. Yikes! Would need 100 gallons of "Gum-Out" to un-glue the possible scenarios that could take place.

Coming, as it does,  during a week that Tampa is meeting with his client and the other contender for the #1 overall draft spot,  this is a very bizarre quote for Winston's lawyer to make.

Not that most people don't know this, but you don't need to be putting it out there at this point either...   Plus,   there are more interesting quotes from the lawyer given at a sports symposium today...

Strange.....

To me it was a case of bad word choice.  My interpretation of what he said was he is ready for the Xs and Os, but he's not ready(due to lack of experience) for all the people that are coming to beg for money and the other pressures that most if not all college prospects will not initially be prepared for.  I don't think it had much to do with him being some kind of misfit off the field who is unprepared to be an NFL player.  The lawyers word choice painted the wrong picture and he had to come back and clean it up.