Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your Personal Grade On Each Official Mock Prospect

I've gone through the data base here: http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/2/9/8005115/nfl-mock-draft-2015-indianapolis-colts-mock-draft-database and picked out every player that has been mocked to us from the start of free agency through now. There were 18 different prospects mocked to us in that time and I've graded what I'd think of each pick (graded F through A+ wherever applicable). I thought it might be interesting to hear opinions on the different players that were mocked to us. Here's my rankings:

Cameron Erving B I like him as a player, but using a first round pick on a center is only going to get an A grade if he’s a once in a generation type player. He could wind up being a pro bowler and he is versatile, but we already have some young centers on our roster. 

Eddie Goldman A- I think he’s going to be a good starter at the next level, more than JAG even as a rookie, and he fills a need. Would start immediately, which is always preferred in a first round pick. He also has a great football IQ. The only reason for the “-" after the A is his terrible physical testing numbers at his pro day. 

Landon Collins C I know this pick makes sense in a way, I just am not that impressed with his coverage skills.

Alvin Dupree C We could use a long term pass rushing star, I just don’t know if Dupree can be that guy based on his tape.

Jake Fisher A- I think the “Vanilla Gorilla” is likely going to wind up as either the best or second best tackle of this class when all is said and done. He still needs to get a bit bigger and stronger but his movement skills are off the charts - if we have any inclination to increase the amount of zone blocking we’re doing in our scheme this guy would be the ideal prospect to add.

D.J. Humphries B He has some big time fans in the scouting community, I just wish he had produced more consistently in college. Still, he’d fill a need and looks to be a player that can become a good starter if he stays healthy.

Jordan Phillips B+ Another player who I think would be more than JAG. He’s got a very high ceiling but his production wasn’t what you’d want out of your first round pick in college. You can’t argue with his tape though, when he’s on he’s really tough to stop.

Arik Armstead B+ He’s a scheme versatile guy who can upgrade the D-line. I see him as kind of risky, because while he could be really tough to stop even at the NFL level, he also didn’t have the greatest production in college. The team that drafts Armstead is probably drafting him on his potential rather than what he’s actually done. Still, the potential for him to be a force on the D-line where we do need to build can’t be ignored.

Danielle Hunter F I think this is a huge reach. He’s an ok player I guess, but no way should we spend a first round pick on him.

Eli Harold C I don’t love the value proposition here. I think Harold may become a good edge rusher at the next level, but I just think he’s too chancy to spend the 29th pick on. He should’ve been more dominant in college if he’s really worth that pick.

Byron Jones B This guy has truly rare athleticism. He looks good on tape. The level of competition will be a big adjustment for him, but his versatility to play either cornerback or safety makes him more intriguing.

Eric Kendricks B+ I like Kendricks and his potential to be a true 3 down inside linebacker at the next level. I think he’d be a really good building block for our defense. He can cover and defend the run. He’s not the biggest guy but he’s very productive on tape. 

Todd Gurley C He was a force for Georgia before the ACL but I don’t like using our first round pick on running backs.

Andrus Peat B I’m not sure about Peat.  He’s got the body of an NFL starting tackle and he’s got NFL pedigree. But where does he stand in terms of his level of consistency in college and his on field demeanor?

Duke Johnson D- I think Duke can be a good player at the NFL level and I believe he would fit well in our offense. I just think this is a reach, and I don’t like spending 1st on a running back when you’re not even sure if you can block for him. 

La’El Collins A- He’s a physically strong player who seems both versatile and pro ready. His main issues are that his arms are kind of short for a tackle and that he has trouble with balance sometimes. But his power is really good, he let up very little pressure in pass protection last season, and he does a good job run blocking (especially at the second level).

Benardrick McKinney D+ I think this is a reach. He’s got awesome size and he has good speed but I’m sorry I just don’t see a first round pick on tape. 

Ereck Flowers B- His tape is really mixed. Part of that might just be medically related, but that just raises another issue. He was brutal in the combine drills. But I will say he looked awesome against Florida St. 

The Scoring system:

10- ELITE, top line NFL skill

9- Excellent top 5 positional NFL skill

8- Great NFL Talent top 12 positional NFL skill

7- Above Average NFL skill

6- Average NFL Talent

5- Lacking NFL Talent 

Cam Erving- 8.50

Eddie Goldman- 8.25

Landon Collins- 8.35

Alvin Dupree- 7.20

Jake Fisher- 7.65

DJ Humphries- 8.55

Jordan Philips- 7.80

Arik Armstead- 7.95

Danielle Hunter- 6.55

Eli Harold- 7.55

Byron Jones- N/A HAVEN'T WATCHED TAPE YET

Eric Kendricks- 8.15

Todd Gurley- 8.80

Andrus Peat- 7.75

Duke Johnson- 7.35

La'el Collins- 8.15

Benardrick McKinney- 7.05

Ereck Flowers- 7.65

**Can't evaluate Byron Jones because of this bunch he is the only one I haven't watched tape on. All of the other players are part of my 87 player scouting reports I have completed. 

The Scoring system:

10- ELITE, top line NFL skill

9- Excellent top 5 positional NFL skill

8- Great NFL Talent top 12 positional NFL skill

7- Above Average NFL skill

6- Average NFL Talent

5- Lacking NFL Talent 

Cam Erving- 8.50

Eddie Goldman- 8.25

Landon Collins- 8.35

Alvin Dupree- 7.20

Jake Fisher- 7.65

DJ Humphries- 8.55

Jordan Philips- 7.80

Arik Armstead- 7.95

Danielle Hunter- 6.55

Eli Harold- 7.55

Byron Jones- N/A HAVEN'T WATCHED TAPE YET

Eric Kendricks- 8.15

Todd Gurley- 8.80

Andrus Peat- 7.75

Duke Johnson- 7.35

La'el Collins- 8.15

Benardrick McKinney- 7.05

Ereck Flowers- 7.65

**Can't evaluate Byron Jones because of this bunch he is the only one I haven't watched tape on. All of the other players are part of my 87 player scouting reports I have completed. 

That's interesting. Is this just based on your personal viewing of game tape?

Cameron Erving B+

Eddie Goldman A-

Landon Collins B

Alvin Dupree B+

Jake Fisher A

D.J. Humphries B+

Jordan Phillips C

Arik Armstead B+

Danielle Hunter D+

Eli Harold C+

Byron Jones B+

Eric Kendricks A

Todd Gurley A

Andrus Peat B+

Duke Johnson C

La’El Collins A+

Benardrick McKinney B

Ereck Flowers B+

Whenever I grade a player based on what I read and what I see I tend to use the following method formerly used by Nolan Nawrocki http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/andrew-luck?id=2533031

Click on the ? next to Lucks grade to get a description of how I graded each prospect

So using that grading system:

Cameron Erving: 84

Eddie Goldman: 86

Landon Collins:  87

Alvin Dupree: 83

Jake Fisher: 83

D.J. Humphries: 81

Jordan Phillips: 85

Arik Armstead: 80

Danielle Hunter: 65

Eli Harold: 75

Byron Jones: 82

Erick Kendricks: 90

Todd Gurley: 91

Andrus Peat: 81

Duke Johnson: 80

La'el Collins: 85 (as a Guard...as a LT 69....Dudes not a LT)

Benardrick McKinney: 73

Ereck Flowers: 86 (as a Guard.....I like Flowers mobility more then Collins and he has the same mean streak or better...As a LT 78...He can play it but that don't mean he should)

Whenever I grade a player based on what I read and what I see I tend to use the following method formerly used by Nolan Nawrocki http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/andrew-luck?id=2533031

Click on the ? next to Lucks grade to get a description of how I graded each prospect

So using that grading system:

Cameron Erving: 84

Eddie Goldman: 86

Landon Collins:  87

Alvin Dupree: 83

Jake Fisher: 83

D.J. Humphries: 81

Jordan Phillips: 85

Arik Armstead: 80

Danielle Hunter: 65

Eli Harold: 75

Byron Jones: 82

Erick Kendricks: 90

Todd Gurley: 91

Andrus Peat: 81

Duke Johnson: 80

La'el Collins: 85 (as a Guard...as a LT 69....Dudes not a LT)

Benardrick McKinney: 73

Ereck Flowers: 86 (as a Guard.....I like Flowers mobility more then Collins and he has the same mean streak or better...As a LT 78...He can play it but that don't mean he should)

So I assume if Kendricks is there you'd probably favor him as the pick?

I agree on him. He's going to be a good tackler and good in run support, but will he stand up in coverage? I don't think so. 

Exactly, if we are going to spend a 1st on a Safety I want him to be able to cover and tackle otherwise take a flyer on one in a later round and let him and the Safeties we already have fight it out in camp.  

yep out of all the players mentioned...Though I'd spend a couple minutes debating on Phillips and Goldman

There's no way the Colts don't take an offensive or defensive lineman there. Grigson made it very clear that they need to find the run defense. And that starts on the line. A LB can wait.

There's no way the Colts don't take an offensive or defensive lineman there. Grigson made it very clear that they need to find the run defense. And that starts on the line. A LB can wait.

Kendricks wont likely be there but he would be a potential game changer with his ability to cover in short zones more then either Phillips or Goldman as rotational D Linemen, At the end of the day I like all 3 at 29 but ya take the player that can help out your team the most IF he is the BPA and that's Kendricks because run defense was not a huge problem last year except vs Pitt and NE, The problem was ILB's getting abused in coverage, Kendricks has the instincts to change that (Though Jacksons roster bonus kicked in March 14th and that's $4.63 mill so I don't see them trading him or being able to given that and age and letting Freeman go only to keep Jackson and put Kendricks next to him is not fixing the coverage problem)

Honestly, I'm fine with Collins IF Pagano and Manusky plan to use a basic SS/FS combo (like Seattle does) otherwise, the pick wouldn't make sense.

Grigs has said that Pagano looked interchangeable safeties; no true strong or free. I don't take that at face value though because Landry was brought in basically as a box safety.

I think what Pags wants is safeties who can cover and help in the run game, like in Seattle. Earl Thomas had been known to lay the wood in the run game, and Kam is no slouch in coverage.Even though Earl is a FS and Kam is SS, they can switch at times.

That's probably how'd they use Collins.