Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What were the most painful colts losses in your lifetime?

RockThatBlue

I'm only 24 but these two stung bad and still do. I was very frustrated after both of these losses.

2005 Steelers playoff game. We were the best team that year and that loss was absolutely a heart breaker because that we lost (and how we lost) I'll never forget how angry I was.

Super Bowl vs Saints. The botched on side kick reception by Hank Baskett was excruciating and I still have nightmares about it. And to top it off we lost on a pick six. I was very frustrated after this loss too.

2006 jaguars game where they ran 375 yards on us and routed us. I was questioning if we even make the playoffs after that game.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 25 so I'm in the same boat as you lol. Yeah for me one's definitely the Super Bowl against New Orleans. I mean we we're looking good, and I was thinking we were going to win up until it started going downhill in the 2nd half. Uh, a couple more would be the two playoff games against San Diego, and the playoff game against the NY Jets when we got beat by the last second FG. I think that was 2010. But yeah, the Pittsburgh game in 05 was one of the absolute worst. No, actually it was probably the worst by far. I agree 100%. I thought that entire year we would win it all.

2005 Steelers and it's not even close. The Super Bowl team in 2009 had a lot of flaws and I never once thought during that season that they were the best team in the league. However, in 2005 we were head and shoulders better than every team in the league in the regular season plus we had beaten every AFC team in the playoffs already that year.

Each loss to New England since Andrew has been here

The Cowboys, Steelers, & other blowout losses

Worst One: The Jags game where I believe it was Blaine Gabbert threw the GW TD pass :facepalm:

Two playoff losses on your list. None of those are even top five in the last 15 years

In order:

1. Super Bowl III

2. 1972 AFC Championship game vs. Dolphins

3. Super Bowl XLIV

4. 2005 nuff said

5. Tie 1996 AFC & 2004 AFC Championship

A regular season loss I never really got over was the 1989 finale. Losing 10-6 at New Orleans we got steamrolled 31-0 in the 2nd half. Given the AFC was so weak, and we had beaten every contender except Denver I thought that team had a shot to go the Super Bowl. We also gave the Niners a real battle in the opener so I always thought we would have fared better than Denver.

Um yeah........2005.

:peek:

Yeah I feel bad for that one. Had the Colts won that game, I am positive they would have won it all that year. The SB with Seattle and Pittsburgh was so pathetic. One of the worst officiated games ever. The Colts would have blown Seattle out in that SB that year. 

But that fumble on Bettis, man. Had he ran down the side line, he would have been GONE. He ran down the middle and got tackled by Ben, that pretty much saved the Steelers season. 

It's the close games that make those hurt the most. 2011 Saints playoff loss to the 49ers, is our equivalent to that one. 

2005 Steelers and it's not even close. The Super Bowl team in 2009 had a lot of flaws and I never once thought during that season that they were the best team in the league. However, in 2005 we were head and shoulders better than every team in the league in the regular season plus we had beaten every AFC team in the playoffs already that year.

Did the Colts play Denver in 2005?

I remember Denver reaching the AFCCG, and Jake Plummer had that great season at an old age. I was happy for him,and I thought the Colts/Broncos would have made a great playoff game that season. They seemed like the two best teams that year. 

05 Steelers, without a dead is my #1. I actually cried after that game but hey, it made 06 all that much sweeter. 

The Saints loss sucked but it didn't even compare to 05 for me. 

And with the current regime, losing to the Pats continues to suck major balls. 

All their playoff losses since 95-96 sucked, each in their own little way. I was very young but I remember the 2 losses to the Steelers and Raiders in 75-76 vaguely, it was a rotten Christmas present lol 

Thought it was "playoff losses", didn't read the title correctly. These still were most painful either way though along with any reg season losses to the Cowboys, Patriots, Steelers and Redskins(which haven't endured in awhile)

The Superbowl loss to the Saints ranks up there big time, especially that gutsy onside kick. Here's a great video on what went into that onside kick. Even worse is the kicker was extremely nervous and inexperienced, yet made the clutch onside kick, with the help of our incompetent onside defense.

The other is against the Jets in the playoffs and Caldwell calling that bone-headed timeout to give Sanchez (a rookie at the time) time to talk strategy with Rex Ryan. Separate interviews suggest Rex had planned to run the ball, but the timeout let them decide on a pass play, which they pulled off magnificently. Good thing for them, because Nick Folk was bad from long range. Meanwhile, Peyton had his hands up in the air, thinking, "W-Why would you call a timeout!?" To this day, I still don't understand this timeout, and I'm glad Caldwell is gone.

Did the Colts play Denver in 2005?

I remember Denver reaching the AFCCG, and Jake Plummer had that great season at an old age. I was happy for him,and I thought the Colts/Broncos would have made a great playoff game that season. They seemed like the two best teams that year. 

Ahh, you know what, you're right. I thought we did, but we played them in 2006.

I'm only 24 but these two stung bad and still do. I was very frustrated after both of these losses.

2005 Steelers playoff game. We were the best team that year and that loss was absolutely a heart breaker because that we lost (and how we lost) I'll never forget how angry I was.

Super Bowl vs Saints. The botched on side kick reception by Hank Baskett was excruciating and I still have nightmares about it. And to top it off we lost on a pick six. I was very frustrated after this loss too.

2006 jaguars game where they ran 375 yards on us and routed us. I was questioning if we even make the playoffs after that game.

That 2005 loss to Pittsburgh was brutal, but I thought the 1995 loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game was even worse.  Kordell Stewart ran out of bounds and came back in to score a TD in that game and then Aaron Bailey almost caught the Hail Mary TD pass from Captain Comeback -- I was running around my house like a mad man (I was 9) thinking we had won it only to be let down when I saw the replay.  I haven't liked Harbaugh all that much as a coach, but boy he was fun to watch during those couple years he was in Indy.

That 2005 loss to Pittsburgh was brutal, but I thought the 1995 loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game was even worse.  Kordell Stewart ran out of bounds and came back in to score a TD in that game and then Aaron Bailey almost caught the Hail Mary TD pass from Captain Comeback -- I was running around my house like a mad man (I was 9) thinking we had won it only to be let down when I saw the replay.  I haven't liked Harbaugh all that much as a coach, but boy he was fun to watch during those couple years he was in Indy.

Jim Harbaugh as "Captain Comeback" in '95. It was hard to not root for the Colts that year. Got two of the most hated teams in the SB that year (Dallas and Pittsburgh). We could have easily pulled for the Colts to complete their underdog season. 

Yeah I feel bad for that one. Had the Colts won that game, I am positive they would have won it all that year. The SB with Seattle and Pittsburgh was so pathetic. One of the worst officiated games ever. The Colts would have blown Seattle out in that SB that year. 

But that fumble on Bettis, man. Had he ran down the side line, he would have been GONE. He ran down the middle and got tackled by Ben, that pretty much saved the Steelers season. 

It's the close games that make those hurt the most. 2011 Saints playoff loss to the 49ers, is our equivalent to that one. 

The loss in 2005 made the SB loss to the Saints feel like a picnic in the park to me. 

The 2005 game with Dungy's sons shocking death preceding it and the EVENTS of that 2005 game were completely horrible. The Colts actually in 2005 to 2006 could have been looking at a repeat championship team.

1995 was pretty bad too.

It's often the Steelers to me. 

I can get over even Pats losses more easily since often times I throw up my hands and go "Yeah the Pats are good I give up."

And we just got completely out coached by the Saints IMO. I think both the Vikes and Saints were better then the Colts that year.

2005.......that team was GOOD.

Jim Harbaugh as "Captain Comeback" in '95. It was hard to not root for the Colts that year. Got two of the most hated teams in the SB that year (Dallas and Pittsburgh). We could have easily pulled for the Colts to complete their underdog season. 

You notice a pattern.......sometimes it always points back to the Steelers with "OMG" losses.......

You notice a pattern.......sometimes it always points back to the Steelers with "OMG" losses.......

I take it the Colts often lose to Pittsburgh like how the Saints lose to those winless St. Louis teams? 

Don't feel bad. You don't lose to the Rams as often as we do. 

The Superbowl loss to the Saints ranks up there big time, especially that gutsy onside kick. Here's a great video on what went into that onside kick. Even worse is the kicker was extremely nervous and inexperienced, yet made the clutch onside kick, with the help of our incompetent onside defense.

The other is against the Jets in the playoffs and Caldwell calling that bone-headed timeout to give Sanchez (a rookie at the time) time to talk strategy with Rex Ryan. Separate interviews suggest Rex had planned to run the ball, but the timeout let them decide on a pass play, which they pulled off magnificently. Good thing for them, because Nick Folk was bad from long range. Meanwhile, Peyton had his hands up in the air, thinking, "W-Why would you call a timeout!?" To this day, I still don't understand this timeout, and I'm glad Caldwell is gone.

sanchez was a rookie in 09

I didn't see it mentioned, but the 2005 loss to the Chargers hurt. Went from chasing an undefeated season to kind of an anti-climatic finish. And James Dungy... not that it was necessarily related, but the last five weeks of that season were pretty sad.

Of course, as far as undefeated seasons go, it's very possible Polian and Dungy would have ditched the pursuit anyways. Which brings me to another regular season disappointment -- Week 16 of 2009. Can't believe the way we bailed on the Jets game.

I take it the Colts often lose to Pittsburgh like how the Saints lose to those winless St. Louis teams? 

Don't feel bad. You don't lose to the Rams as often as we do. 

We did pummel the Steelers in the 2005 regular season. But, ugh......the playoff loss was the opposite. But, I still maintain that this team was never the same either after Dungy's son died. I don't even care if that sounds like an excuse, it was horrible.

And before GB lost to the Giants in 2011 one of their coaches sons was found dead too. 

And in 2008 we managed to win a wild game in Pittsburgh too.

This past year.......oh man. They destroyed the souls of our defense. 

Oh yay, we go to Pitts next year again!

The 1999 playoff loss to the Titans needs to be mentioned.  A few years later you were beginning to get somewhat used to the playoff losses, but at that point, the Manning era was fresh and new.  Manning, James and Marv were the new triplets.  The Colts were supposed to be the next great dynasty, and they got to that game and laid an egg.  It was a frustrating game to watch.  They could get nothing going whatsoever. 

2007 Divisional Round Vs Chargers hated losing that game so much felt we had the talent to repeat that year and they just crushed my hopes and dreams still bitter bout that one last game in RCA too...sad

Most bitter was the Regular Season Game Week 9 against the Patriots Undefeated vs Undefeated and i wanted that one so bad but we lost. That game was when my hatred for the patriots really started to become a loathing. thinking of that one makes my blood boil still. local NE fans tormented me for months was just awful but i guess in the end the giants made me feel a little bit better that February.