Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay On Nfl Network Thursday At 6 P.m.

oldunclemark

For those who dont know..Jim Irsay will be live on the NFL Network

Thursday at 6 p.m,...before the Colts/Houston game..

He'll be grilled by that great investigative reporter Rich Eisen..

..so maybe we cant expect much breaking news...

////but I would hope he'll be asked about Peyton Manning's progress...

For those who dont know..Jim Irsay will be live on the NFL Network

Thursday at 6 p.m,...before the Colts/Houston game..

He'll be grilled by that great investigative reporter Rich Eisen..

..so maybe we cant expect much breaking news...

////but I would hope he'll be asked about Peyton Manning's progress...

I hope he ask who has the inside track on you upcoming head coaching vacancy, now that would be the gift that keeps on giving.

Irsay on Peyton: He is progressing. It's tough on everyone. He is getting better. Irsay's first concern is Peyton's health, Peyton must be completely healthy before playing. The arm is getting stronger. If the situation is where Peyton is healthy, Irsay sees Peyton coming back and playing for Indy. The next Peyton Manning will not be found for a very long time. Irsay doesn't see it as a money issue, moreso as a health issue. We've had conversations with Peyton, but won't get into detail about what we said; we have always been on the same page. Peyton wanted to make sure other players would be available to play with him when he made his contract. Peyton has meant a lot to the city and franchise.

Irsay on management: We are concerned that we lost 13 games, will be $8 mil over the cap, Irsay agreed to bring in Collins and has no trouble paying more than the cap in order to win. Look at Kubiak; fans and the media were all over him but the owner stuck with him and now he is doing well. Irsay believes strongly in continuity and promoting within the organization. He will have to see if that's the direction the franchise takes in the offseason, but the current focus is on the final two games.

There'll probably be a video up on NFL.com soon, I'll post it here if it is up

I thought the NFL cap was a hard cap. How is it possible that we will be $8 mil over the cap? Don't we get penalized for that?

I thought it was hard too and I always thought the point of a hard cap was you couldn't go over it. Maybe it has to do with guys being on IR, I THINK once a guy goes on IR he no longer counts against your cap for that year, I know it frees up the roster spot I am not sure about the cap issue.

I thought it was hard too and I always thought the point of a hard cap was you couldn't go over it. Maybe it has to do with guys being on IR, I THINK once a guy goes on IR he no longer counts against your cap for that year, I know it frees up the roster spot I am not sure about the cap issue.

Makes sense

Irsay on Peyton: He is progressing. It's tough on everyone. He is getting better. Irsay's first concern is Peyton's health, Peyton must be completely healthy before playing. The arm is getting stronger. If the situation is where Peyton is healthy, Irsay sees Peyton coming back and playing for Indy. The next Peyton Manning will not be found for a very long time. Irsay doesn't see it as a money issue, moreso as a health issue. We've had conversations with Peyton, but won't get into detail about what we said; we have always been on the same page. Peyton wanted to make sure other players would be available to play with him when he made his contract. Peyton has meant a lot to the city and franchise.

Irsay on management: We are concerned that we lost 13 games, will be $8 mil over the cap, Irsay agreed to bring in Collins and has no trouble paying more than the cap in order to win. Look at Kubiak; fans and the media were all over him but the owner stuck with him and now he is doing well. Irsay believes strongly in continuity and promoting within the organization. He will have to see if that's the direction the franchise takes in the offseason, but the current focus is on the final two games.

There'll probably be a video up on NFL.com soon, I'll post it here if it is up

Excellent synopsis, Superman! :)

There are exceptions, like injury exceptions. Polian actually talked about it a few months ago. I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Per the NFL broadcast on Channel 4 Irsay also said if there is a good young QB there and they have the top over all pick they will take him. Again Irsay wants Manning and Luck if Manning is healthy and we get the top pick that's what is going to happen.

Good luck getting that thru to the anti-Luckers. Even though Irsay and Polian have hinted numerous times that Luck will be a Colt if they have the 1st pick and that they will not trade the pick, people just keep saying we'll pick somebody else or we'll trade the pick. If we lose tonight, Luck may as well be looking for houses in the Indy area.

They just replayed the key part of the Irsay interivew.

Irsay said in the same breath it is a question of Manning's health not money that will decide if we keep Manning or not. He did say that if healthy he thought Peyton Manning would be here next year. He then went on to say the draft will do what the draft does and if there great young QB there they wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Again sounds like in a perfect world to Irsay we have a healthy Manning back next year and we draft Andrew Luck.

Good luck getting that thru to the anti-Luckers. Even though Irsay and Polian have hinted numerous times that Luck will be a Colt if they have the 1st pick and that they will not trade the pick, people just keep saying we'll pick somebody else or we'll trade the pick. If we lose tonight, Luck may as well be looking for houses in the Indy area.

Forget that, the first person to talk after they replayed the intervew was Sanders and the first words out of his mouth were the Colts can't pay Peyton Manning 28 million next season and they had to cut him and draft Luck and start over. Everyone else on the panel clearly watched the interview and said they would keep Peyton (if healthy) and regardless of Peyton still draft Luck.

Forget that, the first person to talk after they replayed the intervew was Sanders and the first words out of his mouth were the Colts can't pay Peyton Manning 28 million next season and they had to cut him and draft Luck and start over. Everyone else on the panel clearly watched the interview and said they would keep Peyton (if healthy) and regardless of Peyton still draft Luck.

I know, It's like people have some sort of block in their brain that makes them not hear what has clearly been said dozens of times.

I know, It's like people have some sort of block in their brain that makes them not hear what has clearly been said dozens of times.

Well the fact that Sanders is saying we must cut Manning all but tells me Manning will be a Colt next year, the next time Sanders is right about the Colts it will be the first time.

This thread hurts my head.

1) You can't go over the cap for the current year. If a contract puts you over the cap for the current year, the NFL voids it.

2) Players on IR count against the cap. Fully.

3) My guess is Manning's full bonus ($28M) is on the books for next year. If given to him, it will get prorated at $7M per over 4 years, saving us $21M next year.

This thread hurts my head.

1) You can't go over the cap for the current year. If a contract puts you over the cap for the current year, the NFL voids it.

2) Players on IR count against the cap. Fully.

3) My guess is Manning's full bonus ($28M) is on the books for next year. If given to him, it will get prorated at $7M per over 4 years, saving us $21M next year.

They why is owner running around saying we are over the cap? This isn't the first time he's said this either, he said earlier this year on twitter to explain why we didn't go after Gurrard. BAV I know you probably understand the cap better than any of us here but is it possiable something changed with the new CBA? Like I said earlier though I always thought he point of a hard cap is that you couldn't go over it. Which is why I think most of us are trying to figure exactly how the Colts can be the 8 mil over the cap Irsay says we are.

As for Manning the bonus is prorated some how becuase the 28 mil number that is being thrown out there is what it would cost us to cut him. I've read several places this year his cap number next year we keep him is closer to 17 million I think. I could very well be wrong about the 17 million number but i now it was less than the 28 mil.