Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 Situation FA's I think we should look at.

There is still tons of talent left on the FA market. Wave 2 can add great pieces to teams, and they serve key roles unexpectedly (see Mike Adams). So without further a due here are some cheap wave 3 situation players I think we should consider adding that would help us alot.

1. Antonio Smith 3-4 DE

Antonio Smith has always been known as a premiere pass rusher, but struggles mightily against the run. Smith was recently released just today. He Get's tons of QB Hurries (29 last year with OAK). I think he would be a great addition to plug in on pass rushing situations and add much needed depth to our DL. He could play a RJF like role coming off the bench, coming in on pass rush situations. We could still draft a DE high to eventually pass Kendall Langford on the starting line and we'd have a very respectable DE group (Jones, Rookie, Langford, Smith). There should be no questions about Smith's abilities, as he posted at 18.3 grade in pass rushing this year, 21.2 2 years ago, and a 28.4 3 years ago (All grades from PFF). He'd be a great cheap addition I think we should look at. 

2. Dwight Freeney OLB

Call it a re-union. Freeney has been pretty good with San Diego, posting PFF pass rush grades of 13.9, 8.9 (3 games). Freeney would be a great addition as another situation pass rusher (something like the Shaun Philips role last year). It would make our OLB group VERY respectable with Mathis-Cole Walden, Werner, Newsome, Freeney. Freeney could come in in pass rush roles and have one job get to the QB. And a great pass rush D set up with Freeney, Mathis, Smith, Jones, and Langford. Freeney would come cheap and could provide good depth, and pass rushing skill in obvious pass rushing situations. 

3. Jeremey Miles S

Miles is one of my favorite under the radar FA's who I have talked about since my first Mock in February. Miles is a good coverage Safety, posting a 5.1 (PFF). He could be a very respectable 3rd S. Playing the Sergio Brown role, playing in coverage situations mainly, but also in a rotation with Mike Adams and a rookie. Would come cheap aswell.

I do like all three, but I'm sitting in the 'roll that cap into next year' camp right now.

Always a good option but my guess would be each could be had for >2M annually. And honestly I don't see Donald Thomas having a spot on the roster, so that saves us 3.5M. Just as an example Freeney 1y/2m, Smith 1y/2m, Miles 1y/1m = 5m, 1.5 if you take Thomas; 3.5M off. Just some options, but saving it is definitely one too.

Always a good option but my guess would be each could be had for >2M annually. And honestly I don't see Donald Thomas having a spot on the roster, so that saves us 3.5M. Just as an example Freeney 1y/2m, Smith 1y/2m, Miles 1y/1m = 5m, 1.5 if you take Thomas; 3.5M off. Just some options, but saving it is definitely one too.

Yeah I would have cut Thomas after the season, but I could see them just letting him collect his paychecks on IR again. If we cut him, Smith would be my number one option so we can have some interior pass rush. Miles could be something of a Mike Adams kind of signing just before the season, but I'm just banking on Dewey Mac being a hidden gem. I'm not sure that Freeney would come back home for $2m, and the position would be a little crowded, but I sure would love for him to retire a Colt.