Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Huge problems remain

Stillen

I'm glad we've been able to restructure some contracts and we've released overpaid players and got Manning signed, but its a bit to late. Theres not many quality starters left to sign to fill voids on our team and there are still huge question marks at the SS, ROLB, LOLB, CB, and DT positions. Those are all big question marks on the team right now. We have a plan for the offensive line and quite honestly there aren't many holes on offense. But defensively we are in some deep stuff lol.

Melvin Bullitt isn't the answer to our SS problems. Donte Whitner is someone we should go after since we have the money.

Lets utilize Brackett on the outside and have Tulloch control the middle. Doesn't mean he has to call the shots, but it would help.

Corner is a HUGE question mark. After letting Kelvin Hayden go, the only quality starter we have is Powers. Lacey as we all saw last year, isn't a starter and everyone else hasn't played.

DT is still weak, Drake Nevis will hopefully do a good job, but hes not going to completely change it cause hes not a plug. So we still need help.

Minus CB, we've done nothing to improve out run defense, and probably made it worse. And with Kelvin Hayden out, our pass defense doesn't look that hot either. Some big problems need to get fixed.

Let's just wait until all of the in-house FAs are signed, along with the two remaining draft picks. Things are moving fast. After that we'll see how much money is left for a potential out of house FA. If there's even 3-5M left we could get a pretty good player or a couple of solid contributors. Also....don't forget our UDFA signings...Colt history says a couple of those guys are gonna have success. We've improved this offseason and not finished yet. Let's just wait & see after the dust settles.

We want another championship and THIS year is the year to do it. Manning only has a few years left (maybe 5)...he's already said he's not going pull a Favre and stretch out his career...We do not have TIME to develop these defensive UDFA into the players they need to be in order to compete with the other contenders in the league.

Another reason, this year needs to be the year? The SuperBowl is in our house! We have homefield advantage which is huge!

When will our odds be better than they are this season?...They won't be!

Our defense has gotten worse this offseason and it was never even good...

Not sure how safety is a concern? The Colts have the same starting duo that helped get them to the SB in 09. As far as CB, Tryon proved to be a very good CB and having a training camp with the Colts, I expect big things from him this year. The only question is the health of Powers.

I'm not sure what you consider ROLB and LOLB because the Colts have a WILL and SAM (weak side and strong side). The weakside is a bit of a question with Conner and how he can handle an entire season. But the SAM position with Angerer/Wheeler is about as solid as you can get with a salary cap. DT with the re-signing of AJ, Moala who proved to be the best, most consistent DT last year and the addition of Drake is an excellent rotation (yes Drake is going to be that good, I believe) and then some good role players with Foster and Mathews, I'm not sure why that is such a huge question.

There are some questions with depth at some of those positions but that is why there is training camp to answer those questions.

I'm glad we've been able to restructure some contracts and we've released overpaid players and got Manning signed, but its a bit to late. Theres not many quality starters left to sign to fill voids on our team and there are still huge question marks at the SS, ROLB, LOLB, CB, and DT positions. Those are all big question marks on the team right now. We have a plan for the offensive line and quite honestly there aren't many holes on offense. But defensively we are in some deep stuff lol.

Melvin Bullitt isn't the answer to our SS problems. Donte Whitner is someone we should go after since we have the money.

Lets utilize Brackett on the outside and have Tulloch control the middle. Doesn't mean he has to call the shots, but it would help.

Corner is a HUGE question mark. After letting Kelvin Hayden go, the only quality starter we have is Powers. Lacey as we all saw last year, isn't a starter and everyone else hasn't played.

DT is still weak, Drake Nevis will hopefully do a good job, but hes not going to completely change it cause hes not a plug. So we still need help.

Minus CB, we've done nothing to improve out run defense, and probably made it worse. And with Kelvin Hayden out, our pass defense doesn't look that hot either. Some big problems need to get fixed.

I actually think we're sitting pretty with the LB situation. With Kavell Conner, the drop off from Session won't be that great. Pat Angerer's play was well ahead of schedule last year and can only get better. And we still have Brackett, who although is aging, is still serviceable and provide a veteran presence.

What this LB group really needs is depth.... That's not something you typically wanna break the bank in free agency for.

We're set at SS. I don't know why people are down on Bullitt. When he's healthy, our safety play is pretty darn good. Again, we just need depth.

CB and DT are different issues. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts added some cheap free agent talent. But, I'd be really surprised it were a big name talent.

safety is a concern because we have no quality depth behind bethea and bullitt. bullitt had a serious shoulder injury and a lot will depend on his health. if he stays healthy we will probably be fine. but if he gets injured again I don't wanna see a guy like francisco!

Not sure how safety is a concern? The Colts have the same starting duo that helped get them to the SB in 09. As far as CB, Tryon proved to be a very good CB and having a training camp with the Colts, I expect big things from him this year. The only question is the health of Powers.

I'm not sure what you consider ROLB and LOLB because the Colts have a WILL and SAM (weak side and strong side). The weakside is a bit of a question with Conner and how he can handle an entire season. But the SAM position with Angerer/Wheeler is about as solid as you can get with a salary cap. DT with the re-signing of AJ, Moala who proved to be the best, most consistent DT last year and the addition of Drake is an excellent rotation (yes Drake is going to be that good, I believe) and then some good role players with Foster and Mathews, I'm not sure why that is such a huge question.

There are some questions with depth at some of those positions but that is why there is training camp to answer those questions.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

I do really hope Nevis turns out to be a beast. We've been needing real talent at the position for a while.

safety is a concern because we have no quality depth behind bethea and bullitt. bullitt had a serious shoulder injury and a lot will depend on his health. if he stays healthy we will probably be fine. but if he gets injured again I don't wanna see a guy like francisco!

Exactly

we need to sign a run stopping DT Free agent & /another CB now that Hayden is gone or safety ( one that can stop the run )

we need more posseions, we have to stop long drives, u cant assume we can have such great red zone & long drive efficiency every year as other teams improve there D esp in our division

i think a run stopping dt like pat or kevin williams are needed.

No one is going to argue with you there. But the question is - how do we bring in that kind of help and stay under the cap?

It's pretty easy for people to say that we need to win now, and we should be making the right moves. There are 31 teams in the league saying the same thing, and most of them have more cap space.

We want another championship and THIS year is the year to do it. Manning only has a few years left (maybe 5)...he's already said he's not going pull a Favre and stretch out his career...We do not have TIME to develop these defensive UDFA into the players they need to be in order to compete with the other contenders in the league.

Another reason, this year needs to be the year? The SuperBowl is in our house! We have homefield advantage which is huge!

When will our odds be better than they are this season?...They won't be!

Our defense has gotten worse this offseason and it was never even good...

Still.....let's wait until the dust settles. Our #3 pick, Drake Nevis, still has to be signed and will hopefully help on the D-line. I believe he will. I was stoked to get him back in April. Plus.....we've addressed the O-line, added Delone Carter, and will return a lot of healthy offensive starters... so hopefully our 3rd & shorts success rate will improve. If it does, this will take pressure off our defense.

We had a team good enough last year that the Jets barely got by us. This, while we totally hobbled into the playoffs. Coupled with our improvements, I like our chances this year. And.....we do have time to develop these D guys because there will be life after Manning, some day. The new guys now are the future pivotal 5yr vets when Manning is retired. It's good to have these guys here competing for positions. Then there's the 2012 draft, etc. The odds of having 8 or 9 DBs on IR like we did last year are slim. We're bound to be in better shape.

I'm sure that if the Colts wanted to go out and sign good, not great, free agents then they definately could make it work within the salary cap. The problem is that they do not want to do these things. They are going to stick to their philosophy and sign cheap UDFAs and other teams' leftovers, roll the dice, and hope they work out. Don't get your hopes up on getting a top tier DT or corner.

The Colts didn't want to see a guy like Francisco either but when the starting SS goes down on the first drive of the season, the primary back-up goes down early in the fourth game of the season and the 3rd string guy gets IR'd in training camp there are not a lot of options.

But there is no way to really plan for that and when you getting to the 5th and 6th option you are going to notice a drop off in ability and production. With a limit of only 53 players you can't keep 3 deep in a lot of positions.

The Colts didn't want to see a guy like Francisco either but when the starting SS goes down on the first drive of the season, the primary back-up goes down early in the fourth game of the season and the 3rd string guy gets IR'd in training camp there are not a lot of options.

But there is no way to really plan for that and when you getting to the 5th and 6th option you are going to notice a drop off in ability and production. With a limit of only 53 players you can't keep 3 deep in a lot of positions.

I don't blame them for last season that were extraordinary measures but we let sanders go and if you know that your starting safety missed most of last season because of a serious shoulder injury you should prepare better for next season. safety draft class was not the best so your only chance to add some quality depth is through free agency but we have done nothing so far. same with our dt. antonio johnson is good when healthy, nevis is a rookie but you just don't know how he performs in his first year and you don't know what you get with a guy like demario pressley. so dt is still a big issue and i doubt that we can effectively stop the run through a whole season with the players we have on the roster at this point.

calm down guys... we will win our division again! wanna know why? the shortend offseason is good for us cuz the other teams esp houston, jags, titans have less time to get ready. we instead dont have as many adjustments to fix as they have. Drake Nevis will start right away and give us a force in the middle!!! O-Line looks good to me, Recievers, RB too.

of course we dont have a perfect roster, but who has??? NOBODY.

in the playoffs, with the superbowl @ home - we can beat anybody in any stadium! we have the beste QB in the League, dont forget that.

we need to believe it, or better said: Yes, we can! :coltslogo:

so dt is still a big issue and i doubt that we can effectively stop the run through a whole season with the players we have on the roster at this point.

That's ^ true. But clearly, the Colts formula for wins is still going to be for the offense to dictate the game. It'll be that way as long as Manning is here, or for at least the next several years. All we need from the D is to be middle of the pack with the offense firing on it's cylinders. I'd love nothing more than to see another Tony Siragussa on our D line & another at his peak Bob Sanders....but that's not reality for 2011.

I don't think there are huge problems right now. I think the Colts are biding their time for the free agent markets to calm a bit,and to see what shakes out at the Colts camp itself, and other camps around the league. That is how the Colts have acquired so many of their valuable parts like Tryon (who I think is a possible starter, and a good one), Antonio Johnson, Cody Glenn and others. It would be very cool and "football sexy" to spend a bunch of money like the Eagles and Jets for a boatload of big name free agents, but all you have to do is take a look at what the Colts have let walk, and realize that this team has consistently gotten great value both in the draft, ufa's, trades and free agency. All of these winning seasons, playoff appearances and Super Bowl runs don't happen just because of one Man(ning). We can start worrying is the Colts drop 3 of their first 4 regular season games and look bad doing it. I say it doesn't happen, and as usual, I am very excited and interested to see who is going to step up this summer.

I agree we have problems at corner, and we should go look for a good one out there... cough cough Asante Samuel. A good strongside linebacker wouldn't be bad either. You shouldn't be too worried about DT, we have 2 competent guys there, and we've gone to 2 SBs without good DTs. We need to improve our defense.

calm down guys... we will win our division again! wanna know why? the shortend offseason is good for us cuz the other teams esp houston, jags, titans have less time to get ready. we instead dont have as many adjustments to fix as they have. Drake Nevis will start right away and give us a force in the middle!!! O-Line looks good to me, Recievers, RB too.

of course we dont have a perfect roster, but who has??? NOBODY.

in the playoffs, with the superbowl @ home - we can beat anybody in any stadium! we have the beste QB in the League, dont forget that.

we need to believe it, or better said: Yes, we can! :coltslogo:

Eagles do....

We had a team good enough last year that the Jets barely got by us. This, while we totally hobbled into the playoffs. Coupled with our improvements, I like our chances this year. And.....we do have time to develop these D guys because there will be life after Manning, some day. The new guys now are the future pivotal 5yr vets when Manning is retired. It's good to have these guys here competing for positions. Then there's the 2012 draft, etc. The odds of having 8 or 9 DBs on IR like we did last year are slim. We're bound to be in better shape.

Very well said.

Eagles do....

The Eagles are far from perfect. Just wait till Vick takes off on a run, gets hammered, hurt, then in come the back up. The big baby himself.. Vince Young. Throws a fit, looses the game and tanks the rest of the season. No, far from perfect. They also are without Jackson due to contract issues.. I see him heading down the road.

I have always liked Bullitt. But, like some have said we need a good back up to him. Especially since he was injured last season. CB like the original poster said is a huge question mark. But, I am also concerned about the O line. Lost Diem recently and they have had issues the last 2 years. Time will tell if they work out these problems.

I would like to see us add a DT or SS. Adding a CB wouldn't hurt either now that Hayden is done.

Without a doubt, we'll pick up a safety... for depth. Won't be a big name.

Less sure about DT and CB. We already have a glut of CBs, even though quite a few are young and inexperienced. I actually think we might sit tight with Powers and Tryon as starters, and maybe pick up a few FAs to see if they stick past training camp.

I'm hoping we pick up another DT, but I'm not holding my breath. We really need a good nose tackle, but I don't know if any good ones are available at the right price.

I have always liked Bullitt. But, like some have said we need a good back up to him. Especially since he was injured last season. CB like the original poster said is a huge question mark. But, I am also concerned about the O line. Lost Diem recently and they have had issues the last 2 years. Time will tell if they work out these problems.

We just drafted two offensive tackles, and just re-signed Diem.

I don't understand how you guys can say we're okay at linebacker. Sure DT's help with run defense, but normally the DTs set it up for the linebackers. If our linebackers were really that "okay" with their speed we should be able to stop the run. Whether the run through the middle or to the outside, but that obviously hasn't been the case for the last couple years. Everyone is talking about this is the year for the Colts, how are we going to do it with a rookie DT, and two OLB in their second year, while Connor didn't even play all that much until the end of the year. Angerer has been pretty solid, but suspect in coverage and really doesn't have the athleticism to get much better. Sure he will instinctively but the lack of speed and athleticism won't make him great.

Bullitt is a quality starter when healthy, but coming off a major shoulder surgery I would rather have someone else. We released Bob why not use 5/6 mill of that 7/8 he was making sitting on the bench on another star SS and have it set for the next couple years. This Colts have been lucky with the way rookies have stepped up, but what happens when all these "they're bound to have a great year cause they did pretty good last year" all suck it up? Theres no for sure starters on defense minus Brackett, Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, and Powers. Everyone else is "okay" at best, but we don't need okay... especially with Peyton getting older. Hes going to need a better defense later in the future and the way the Colts are handing it now isn't going to help.

Truthfully I was very worried about the defense. Not so much anymore. The DT rotation could be better than we all think, Johnson, Moala, Nevis, Foster & Matthews. Not real worried about linebackers since I am sure Angerer and Conner will both make the 2nd year leap. CB is actually the position I am now most concerned about, would like us to add a proven starter now that Hayden is gone.

Truthfully I was very worried about the defense. Not so much anymore. The DT rotation could be better than we all think, Johnson, Moala, Nevis, Foster & Matthews. Not real worried about linebackers since I am sure Angerer and Conner will both make the 2nd year leap. CB is actually the position I am now most concerned about, would like us to add a proven starter now that Hayden is gone.

I like what you posted here. Much truth.

I think whats bothering most fans is the unknown factor involved with many, I mean MANY of our players. Must be why the nauseatingly repetitive chimes for proven vet FA's. Losing the super bowl a few years ago has left a nasty ringing in our collective ears. We all know we should've won that game.

I don't understand how you guys can say we're okay at linebacker. Sure DT's help with run defense, but normally the DTs set it up for the linebackers. If our linebackers were really that "okay" with their speed we should be able to stop the run. Whether the run through the middle or to the outside, but that obviously hasn't been the case for the last couple years. Everyone is talking about this is the year for the Colts, how are we going to do it with a rookie DT, and two OLB in their second year, while Connor didn't even play all that much until the end of the year. Angerer has been pretty solid, but suspect in coverage and really doesn't have the athleticism to get much better. Sure he will instinctively but the lack of speed and athleticism won't make him great.

Bullitt is a quality starter when healthy, but coming off a major shoulder surgery I would rather have someone else. We released Bob why not use 5/6 mill of that 7/8 he was making sitting on the bench on another star SS and have it set for the next couple years. This Colts have been lucky with the way rookies have stepped up, b

ut what happens when all these "they're bound to have a great year cause they did pretty good last year" all suck it up?
Theres no for sure starters on defense minus Brackett, Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, and Powers. Everyone else is "okay" at best, but we don't need okay... especially with Peyton getting older. Hes going to need a better defense later in the future and the way the Colts are handing it now isn't going to help.

The same thing as when veteran free agents "suck it up" but for a quarter of the price.

I like what you posted here. Much truth.

I think whats bothering most fans is the unknown factor involved with many, I mean MANY of our players. Must be why the nauseatingly repetitive chimes for proven vet FA's. Losing the super bowl a few years ago has left a nasty ringing in our collective ears. We all know we should've won that game.

Yeah I agree. The Mookie Johnson signing was big in my books though, while it may not be in others eyes. However we know he can stop the run. Just look at the games he started against Jacksonville, Oakland and Tennessee at the end of last season. All good running teams, yet we did not get run over. The Johnson-Moala combination might actually be pretty good.

We have a good, young team driven by a HOF QB. Let's just pray they stay healthy.

The Eagles are far from perfect. Just wait till Vick takes off on a run, gets hammered, hurt, then in come the back up. The big baby himself.. Vince Young. Throws a fit, looses the game and tanks the rest of the season. No, far from perfect. They also are without Jackson due to contract issues.. I see him heading down the road.

hehe... Philly fans and VY... I hope he gets a lot of playing time.

Very, very disappointed in the total lack of effort to improve this struggling team. The organization is either stupid or is happy just to be selling out the stadium meeting their financial goals. Marion Barber goes to the Bears while the Colts have no power in the running game. I am not happy with this at all. Why not bring back Sorgi!!!???

Amen to that post! Last year's team will simply not cut it. While I totally agree with managment not getting involved with the free agent frenzy (alla philly), we absolutely need to add one or two free agents to secure a defense that has several glaring weaknesses. Our biggest need at this point is a defensive tackle that can start day one. If we cannot stop the run, this all but negates Freeney and Mathis. Their expertise lies in getting to the passer. Our second need is LB. See above comments about stopping the run. Lastly we need a DB/SS. With the losses of Hayden and Muir, we simply need to change the “next man up” philosophy a little.

Polian and Irsay promised some frre agency moves this year, but I have yet to see any of substance. Manning has 4-5 years left. He has sown this team and city unwavering loyalty. Let’s reward hime by surround him with the talent he needs on both sides of the ball for a change.

Amen to that post! Last year's team will simply not cut it. While I totally agree with managment not getting involved with the free agent frenzy (alla philly), we absolutely need to add one or two free agents to secure a defense that has several glaring weaknesses. Our biggest need at this point is a defensive tackle that can start day one. If we cannot stop the run, this all but negates Freeney and Mathis. Their expertise lies in getting to the passer. Our second need is LB. See above comments about stopping the run. Lastly we need a DB/SS. With the losses of Hayden and Muir, we simply need to change the “next man up” philosophy a little.

Polian and Irsay promised some frre agency moves this year, but I have yet to see any of substance. Manning has 4-5 years left. He has sown this team and city unwavering loyalty. Let’s reward hime by surround him with the talent he needs on both sides of the ball for a change.

Let's remember there are still some people teams are looking to trade who if not, will probably be released by August 4th (the date they need to be under the cap) I think Asante falls into this category. I believe he will be released if not traded by August 4th. We may be able to pick up a few good names cheap by then.