worst trade  

118 members have voted

1. 1. worst trade

• booger mcfarland for a second round pick
    • trading dickerson for a 4th and an 8th
    • walter murray for a second round pick
    • tony ugoh for a first round pick
    • t-rich for a first round pick

For frustration, I'm gonna go with the Faulk trade for a second and fifth round pick. I would have rather kept him than draft Edge. New Orleans would have offered their entire draft for the #5 pick to boot. I still think it was dumb to trade away a HOF RB to draft a rookie RB. I think had Polian orchestrated the offseason moves just right, maybe we win a Superbowl earlier.

The Fredd Young and Jeff George trades were probably worse but this team was never going to win anything with old man Bob Irsay at the controls any way.

ok I get that, but there was no long term ROI for this trade. it was half a season, got injuried, then retired. if he played at the same rate for a couple seasons, the trade would have been worth it, but he didnt

I feel like a Superbowl is a pretty good ROI. If we could trade a 2nd round draft pick every year to pick up a 1-year player and get a Superbowl...I'd say go for it. 

For frustration, I'm gonna go with the Faulk trade for a second and fifth round pick. I would have rather kept him than draft Edge. New Orleans would have offered their entire draft for the #5 pick to boot.

That's what people forget. 

Not only our history, Richardson will make the list of one of the biggest draft busts ever and one of the worst trades ever. Can't think of another player in his company.

The Richardson trade was bad....but the Hershel Walker trade is the mother of all bad NFL trades.

That deal singularly helped cement the Cowboys dynasty in the early 90s.

I always wonder if John ever wishes he could have missed the Dan Reeves years & then been traded to Denver in the Mike Shanahan era of 1997 & 1998. 

Everyone always saying playing in a SB is an honor even if you lose. No, it isn't. Losing sucks. Let's be honest here.

Agreed, SW1. Super Bowl XLIV when Tracy Porter's 74 yard pick 6 happened, I thought I was going to literally throw up. Beside that, was another "sickening" moment in Super Bowl III when we lost to the Jets and one Joe Willie Namath. However, that game was the instrumental recipe for joining both the AFL & NFL into one league. Yeah, losing sucks ... Big Time ... especially the Super Bowl!

Hi everyone,

I realize that most are saying the trade of 1st round pick for Trent Richardson was worst Colt trade ever.  I say that the trade by Bill Polian of Marshall Faulk, (got only a 2nd and 5th round pick in return!!!!!), was much worse than the Trent Richardson trade.  We gave away one of the best ever (Faulk) for a 2nd and 5th.

Edited by 21isSuperman

Dickerson did help the Indy Colts make the playoffs for the first time so it wasn't the worst trade.

Eric gained over 1000 yards 3 of 5 years at the Colts....

He had ONE superstar year.......in Indy. ONE. 1988. 1600 yards.......

He then went to 1300 yards...... Then Dropped like a rock

We had 3 better than average years

We gave up 2 firsts (Bennett) and 2 seconds for him

He became a locker room cancer .... I can remember him saying

"Did you see any holes for me out there?" To the press

This was a bad trade folks

Hi everyone,

I realize that most are saying the trade of 1st round pick for Trent Richardson was worst Colt trade ever.  I say that the trade by Bill Polian of Marshall Faulk, (got only a 2nd and 5th round pick in return!!!!!), was much worse than the Trent Richardson trade.  We gave away one of the best ever (Faulk) for a 2nd and 5th.

It was bad, but........ Faulk was making noise about wanting a large contract.....

I think the front office felt he would hold out

It was bad, but........ Faulk was making noise about wanting a large contract.....

I think the front office felt he would hold out

Faulk played well during the 98 season, but had been playing on a injured toe for part of the 95 season(missed all playoff games). Had not fully recovered during 96 season. He made it pretty clear he wanted out of Indy. At the time I was glad we received anything for him.  Edge was a unbelievable talent during the 99, and 2000 seasons. After tearing his ACL in 2001 Edge was never quite the same RB.  

The trade with Faulk wasn't bad I thought...It did not hurt us(We drafted Edge who for my money turned out just as good).... plus Polian used the picks on Micheal Peterson and Brad Scioli....Both of which were pretty good players for us....Scioli had 15 sacks in 6 years despite starting 27 games.....He could play......I mean that's pretty good for a 5th round pick

Eric gained over 1000 yards 3 of 5 years at the Colts....

He had ONE superstar year.......in Indy. ONE. 1988. 1600 yards.......

He then went to 1300 yards...... Then Dropped like a rock

We had 3 better than average years

We gave up 2 firsts (Bennett) and 2 seconds for him

He became a locker room cancer .... I can remember him saying

"Did you see any holes for me out there?" To the press

This was a bad trade folks

The name of the thread is the worst ever in Colt history. Dickerson was not the worst.

On April 20, 1990,  the Atlanta Falcons traded the first overall pick and a fourth-round draft choice to the Indianapolis Colts for OT Chris Hinton, WR Andre Rison, and two draft picks (fifth round in 1990, first round in ’91). The deal was contingent upon the Colts reaching a contract agreement with Illinois QB Jeff George. Unfortunately, we did. :thmdown: 

Elway was by far the worst. It isn't even close...no matter what people think if he would have played or not....call his bluff. Keep his rights....can't give away a once in a lifetime qb like Elway or Manning or Luck....you see the difference they make for an organization. No doubt that trade would get my vote and it isn't even a close second.

I always wonder if John ever wishes he could have missed the Dan Reeves years & then been traded to Denver in the Mike Shanahan era of 1997 & 1998. 

Everyone always saying playing in a SB is an honor even if you lose. No, it isn't. Losing sucks. Let's be honest here. 

No offense SW but how would you know? You speak of what you know not of. Of course winning is somewhat a life changing event but I've heard from many players that being there and reaching that life long goal of playing in a SB was amazing. More than that when I hear them speak of the special season and the memories of their teams and getting there....I'm pretty sure they don't think it sucks. Everyone wants to win...but there is no shame in losing....only not giving your best or trying. There is so much to be thankful for I don't see why everyone acts like 1 game defines a great season or not. One loss doesn't ruin or deminish the other 16 games in any way. I still have the enjoyment the excitement and memories of each one. Sure 06 was amazing and it would be nice to have that again....but I don't feel bad one bit about 09....or 04 with the record breaking year Peyton had...life isn't about always winning and losing....its about the ride....because if you just focus on the end you will miss everything inbetween. Just my opinion...why I think people should appreciate this last season...it was a GREAT one.

Elway was by far the worst. It isn't even close...no matter what people think if he would have played or not....call his bluff. Keep his rights....can't give away a once in a lifetime qb like Elway or Manning or Luck....you see the difference they make for an organization. No doubt that trade would get my vote and it isn't even a close second.

I don't agree for the fact, Elway wasn't going to play for the Colts. He meaning Elway had ALL THE LEVERAGE!! Chris Hinton played very well for us, the Colts should have not called Elway's bluff! Could have traded the pick and got alot back for it.

I don't agree for the fact, Elway wasn't going to play for the Colts. He meaning Elway had ALL THE LEVERAGE!! Chris Hinton played very well for us, the Colts should have not called Elway's bluff! Could have traded the pick and got alot back for it.

Its all what ifs. Elway didn't have as much leverage as people want to think. Let him go play for the yankees then. We dealt from a position of weakness. Yes he may not have played for us but if we wait the pick becomes more valuable as it gives us time to negotiate a better deal with other teams. Once we show we won't be bullied and willing to let the pick go for next to nothing teams would have created a bidding war. I think Elway would have maybe sat out a year and then came back and played...or at least we get a franchise qb. Hinton was a great player for us but we know qbs determine futures. Fact remains its one of the worst trades in the nfl history...let alone Colts.

Not really that trade SUCKED!

Feel free to use any description you want, heck even capitalize all the words in your post. That doesn't change my view that if one has been a "decades" fan of the Colts, it will likely afford you a perspective that takes Trich out of the equation for the "Worst" trade in Colt History. However, I respect your opinion.

Jeff George is the worst

(Chris Hinton, Andre Risen, picks)

Dickerson was a disaster as well

Which, ironically turned out to be an Elway for George trade since we got Hinton and (after Solt was traded for a #1 that turned out to be Rison) Rison for Elway's rights.

George cost a lot, but lets not forget we ended up getting 2 #1 picks from the Falcons for him..

The Colts got the 7th pick in the first round plus a high 3ed rounder as well as the next years 1st from the Falcons. So even though it didn't work out we didn't leave empty handed unlike with Freddy Young..

Its all what ifs. Elway didn't have as much leverage as people want to think. Let him go play for the yankees then. We dealt from a position of weakness. Yes he may not have played for us but if we wait the pick becomes more valuable as it gives us time to negotiate a better deal with other teams. Once we show we won't be bullied and willing to let the pick go for next to nothing teams would have created a bidding war. I think Elway would have maybe sat out a year and then came back and played...or at least we get a franchise qb. Hinton was a great player for us but we know qbs determine futures. Fact remains its one of the worst trades in the nfl history...let alone Colts.

Amen....

If I were Ernie Accorsi or Robert Irsay at the time....and who SHOULD have been on the same page....I would have told Elway and his snotty arrogant father....."If you'd prefer not to play here for Frank Kush, then best of luck in the Yankee organization playing for George Steinbrenner and Billy Martin under the white-hot media spotlight in NYC.

Unfortunately Irsay and Accorsi were NOT on the same page, and Accorsi contends to this day that he had a much more favorable deal set up with the Raiders that would likely have resulted in Dan Marino being drafted by the Colts shortly after Elway went #1.

For as badly as the old man Irsay screwed this up and the long impact it had....I agree it was the worst trade in Colts history.

You guys have some good ones from the Indy era, but the John Elway trade is the worst in all of Colts history, and maybe in NFL history. It's not even close.

I was thinking of that one as well... but it wasn't much of an option.... If the Colts didn't trade him he would have played baseball.  Also, if the Colts had not traded him and he bit the bullet and played for the Colts... they would not have drafted Manning.

To me, the worst trade was Faulk for a 2nd and 5th rounder. I know there were probably circumstances that forced the trade but still...

I was thinking of that one as well... but it wasn't much of an option.... If the Colts didn't trade him he would have played baseball.  Also, if the Colts had not traded him and he bit the bullet and played for the Colts... they would not have drafted Manning.

To me, the worst trade was Faulk for a 2nd and 5th rounder. I know there were probably circumstances that forced the trade but still...

I would agree on all accounts here. The Colts didn't get hit too bad from the Faulk trade though as they got Edge the very next season.

I would agree on all accounts here. The Colts didn't get hit too bad from the Faulk trade though as they got Edge the very next season.

True and if they kept Faulk they probably would not have drafted Edge... my all time favorite Colt.  

You probably know this but in case some readers do not... Edge was not a result of the trade... they Got Mike Peterson and Brad Scioli with those picks.

Tough choice between the Marshall Faulk for a 2nd and a 5th in his prime. We got Peterson (good his 1st year then servicable at best and Scioli-2.5 sacks per year--servicable maybe), (b) the TRich trade was obviously bad (3) the Fredd Young trade for 2 first rounders (makes it worse since he spelled his name with 2 D's--if you're going to spell your name with 2 D's and get 2 first rounders for you, you better be good and he was not).

I will go with the Marshall Faulk trade, especially for what we could have had for giving the Saints that pick when we chose Edge. I loved Edge, but Faulk was already here and is a HOFer, and we would have had to really make some bad choices after getting the Saints whole draft for that not to be a good trade.(And yes, Peterson was ok and Scioli was barely ok).

Tough choice between the Marshall Faulk for a 2nd and a 5th in his prime. We got Peterson (good his 1st year then servicable at best and Scioli-2.5 sacks per year--servicable maybe), (b) the TRich trade was obviously bad (3) the Fredd Young trade for 2 first rounders (makes it worse since he spelled his name with 2 D's--if you're going to spell your name with 2 D's and get 2 first rounders for you, you better be good and he was not).

I will go with the Marshall Faulk trade, especially for what we could have had for giving the Saints that pick when we chose Edge. I loved Edge, but Faulk was already here and is a HOFer, and we would have had to really make some bad choices after getting the Saints whole draft for that not to be a good trade.(And yes, Peterson was ok and Scioli was barely ok).

One could probably write books about the what could have been if the Colts had kept Faulk and traded the pick to the Saints for their entire draft.  When you look at all that was potentially lost with that it's mind boggling.

Think of this... in the year 2000 the Colts could have draft Brian Urlacher instead of Rob Morris.

Hindsight is always 20/20 doesn't mean you're going to like what you see.