Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sources: Make or Break Year for HC Chuck Pagano

TKnight24

This is why I keep talking about how the Falcons fell apart. Irsay wants the team to keep getting better, not stall out and come crashing down to earth. Sometimes a little discomfort is good for your staff. Irsay isn't a drastic, overreacting kind of owner. I don't think his decision is about whether or not we beat the Patriots, or whether or not we get to and win the Super Bowl. But he does want to make sure he has the right people in charge. This is probably the best way.

You know, just about every post you load to these forums reflects my SIG! Why is that, Superman? :) In addition, "this is the best way" vs. the argument "Super Bowl or Bust" (a very inadequate one) would be down right sustained if I were judge advocate. Irsay IMO, tries to incorporate his own ideologies into this franchise. And not only is it down right respectable, it's a very rare and polished gem to which every owner aspires to. The Colts organization and it's entire staff work towards that gem year-in and year-out collectively together as do most fans. Hence the slogan : O N E ... I for one, am extremely proud to be such a small part of this equation if only as a fan.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim Irsay is really starting to tick me off. He continues to embarrass this football team, and I am tired of pushing his actions under the rug. I have been a Colts fan since 1984, and never missed a single game, supporting Irsay through thick and thin. I understand that none of us are perfect. We all have our shortcomings. But this is getting to be absolutely insane. I honestly wish he would just sell the team. Unfortunately he will never do that because he is addicted to any kind of attention he can get. And without the Colts, Jim Irsay wouldn't get any attention.

Chuck Pagano has coached this team to 3 straight 11 win seasons, and took us to the playoffs every year. The only reason we are having this conversation is because Jim Irsay is the owner. I am getting really sick of Irsay! It is getting very hard to defend him, and even harder to want to have a reason to.

Here are my thoughts:

Pagano isn't a great coach. Sometimes his team looks really unprepared against good teams (cowboys, patriots, cardinals, etc...)

He was brought here to help build a good defense and that hasn't shown at all. The defense has stunk for past three seasons. We still cannot stop the run and cover tight ends. 

Do you really credit Pagano for the playoff wins? No, not really. I credit Andrew Luck for that. 

With all that being said, would I be upset if Pagano is not re-hired next season? No. Same goes with Grigson. He really needs to nail this draft to keep his job.

If I was a Colts fan. I'd say this.

This has been a disappointing day for me.....

For me,  too many fans think it's easy to get rid of a coach or a GM and assume that the new guy will be better than the old guy.

As someone who covered sports professionally for 30 years,  I can't begin to tell you how wrong that is.

It's hard to find good GM talent.   And it's hard to find good head coaching talent.  

For those who aren't happy with Grigson or Pagano -- fine,  that's your opinion -- but I think any assumption that whoever is brought in to replace them will do a better job is a risky proposition.   There's a better chance that GM/HC won't do a good job than there is that they will.

I hope Irsay hasn't painted himself into a corner....

I don't think Pagano's circumstance is as dire as everyone thinks. His trouble has been getting stomped on the occasional game like vs the Steelers and Pats last year.

IMO, if he gets us to the AFCCG again, even if we lose to someone like the Steelers or Patriots again, so long as it is a close game and if we had a chance of winning it, i think he stays. You don't throw away a head coach who gets you to the playoffs 4 years in a row and shows continual improvement.... IF we get stomped again by a big team though, yeah he'll be outa here... I think Irsay just wants Chuck to prove that he can contend and play with the big boys in this league. I doubt he will demand a SB every year..... No one expects that...

I like it, first I like the psychology of it.  I think this team will play hard for Chuck knowing he's in a contract year.  Next, Chuck needs to perform with this team so keep the pressure on for now.  I think performance-wise the bigger issue is really around our coordinators, I just don't see it in Pep and Greg, I don't see the game planning and the adjustments I expect from big time coordinators.  These two make a bigger impact on the games than what this board recognizes at times.  We focus so much on Chuck and Ryan...if this season doesn't hit expectations my prediction is it will be due to poor coordinator work (which is the responsibility of Chuck and Ryan to get right, I know).  I would expect they get whacked before you see Chuck released.  BTW, I thought Pep was a great hire, turns out he's a little dull so far.  Manusky is just "yikes" at times and brilliant in others...I can't figure that guy out. Final note, Harbaugh won't be available for four years minimum so if we're going to make a change we better have somebody better lined up.  Not sure what that list looks like based on the off-season hires I saw this year for other franchises.

No... it's not wrong.

Harbaugh wore out his welcome at Stanford. Yes, the school offered him a new contract, but everyone thought he'd only last one more year to be with Andrew Luck and then he'd move on. But, he absolutely had worn out his welcome there.

And he had worn out his welcome at USD, where he was before Stanford.

He's a very, very tightly wired guy. And he wears on people over time. Over coaches, players and support staff.

Not unlike the well-traveled Bill Parcells....except that Harblahhh has ZERO Super Bowls to show for his frantic, emotional management style.

Michigan can have him...and I bet Urban Meyer and OSU repeatedly bend him over until they're finally fed up with his nonsense in Ann Arbor too.

Didn't read completely through the post, so I apologize if this has already been brought up, but I highly doubt Pagano is on the hot seat after these past 3 years. As asinine as it is to use the New England games as a measuring stick, we'll go ahead and stay there AND I ask this question:

How many asskickings did Dungy endure at the hands of New England before he started returning the favor? He took a couple beatings in the playoffs and regular season and yet he was NEVER on the hot seat because of those specific losses.

We really need to stop measuring the Colts issues, draft, coaching, etc.., based off of a small sample size of games - ex. the Patriots games.

You call a top offense in the NFL a little dull?.....

jackie-chan-meme-smiley-emoticon.png

I do indeed.  As I saw the games, and you may be different, I saw high three and out percentages early in almost every game. I saw the same game plan week in and week out only to come up short all too often.  That being, forcing a non-existent power run game with an under performer runner in TR and a low production O-Line, in effect game planning to our weaknesses.  Then out of necessity we would stop those tactics because we would be down or battling where we shouldn't have been and Andrew would have to throw it all over to come back and/or compete.  If you think our statistics are a product of the genius of Pep Hamilton you and I simply see the world VERY differently.  And that's ok.  I think Pep is dull but not stupid.  I hope he can learn and adapt as an NFL OC or he has to go quickly. In my estimation, Andrew was the driving force behind our statistics and those statistics were often fueled by a failed initial gameplan.   Again, that what I see, I trust it.   As they say "Liars figure and figures lie"  don't pin your hopes on statistics.   -Mike Mamula.

For me,  too many fans think it's easy to get rid of a coach or a GM and assume that the new guy will be better than the old guy.

As someone who covered sports professionally for 30 years,  I can't begin to tell you how wrong that is.

It's hard to find good GM talent.   And it's hard to find good head coaching talent.  

For those who aren't happy with Grigson or Pagano -- fine,  that's your opinion -- but I think any assumption that whoever is brought in to replace them will do a better job is a risky proposition.   There's a better chance that GM/HC won't do a good job than there is that they will.

You're looking at this through a 3 year window.  Most of us, Irsay included, are looking at it through a 17 year window.  We were already once blessed with one once in a generation QB, and saw his career wasted.  We've seen this same act for 17 years - great QB, severely flawed team.  If Grigson and Chuck cannot build a reasonably balanced team around Luck, they will be gone, and they know it.   Chuck said so himself while Grigson alluded to that reality in an interview.  It's what they signed up for. 

This . . . every time I see a already good team fire their coach and hire a new guy because they want to "take that next step" or whatever they only end up getting worse.  

1. Harbaugh was adored at Stanford and adored in San Fran. You have very little basis for this comment.

2. Manusky is the DC, deserves a huge share of the blame... that said, our defense performed well for the majority of last year.

3. Reggie Wayne used to play for the Colts. Look him up.

4. You're saying it wrong.

1. Basis for the comment? He hasn't lasted longer than 5 years anywhere he's been other than being an assistant at WKU. I have plenty of basis for it. If you understand business, you'd realize that his type of personality reflects what has transpired in his coaching career thus far. Great at what he does but often clashes with those around him when he wants more control. His style is more suited for the college game where he can have more control. And when that happens, he leaves. When your coach starts to become your GM as well, you end up with problems. Spend some time researching it.

2. Wasn't this team suppose to be built on Pagano's defensive principles? He was brought in to build this team into the defensive juggernaut that was clearly missing in the Manning-Polian era. If you really think the Colts defense performed well for the majority of last season, you might want to re-evaluate what you saw. Anytime they played an elite-level QB, they got torched. The lone exception was Peyton in the playoff game.

3. It's general consensus that Reggie was no longer a true #1 when Luck arrived, even in 12'. While he was Luck's main target, he was more of a security blanket rather than a game-breaker that could open up a game. TY started to fill that role last year. And with teams recognizing that, there needed to be another threat outside of TY.

4. Nice attempt at trolling. Might want to come to the table with a little bit more ammo next time.

I do indeed.  As I saw the games, and you may be different, I saw high three and out percentages early in almost every game. I saw the same game plan week in and week out only to come up short all too often.  That being, forcing a non-existent power run game with an under performer runner in TR and a low production O-Line, in effect game planning to our weaknesses.  Then out of necessity we would stop those tactics because we would be down or battling where we shouldn't have been and Andrew would have to throw it all over to come back and/or compete.  If you think our statistics are a product of the genius of Pep Hamilton you and I simply see the world VERY differently.  And that's ok.  I think Pep is dull but not stupid.  I hope he can learn and adapt as an NFL OC or he has to go quickly. In my estimation, Andrew was the driving force behind our statistics and those statistics were often fueled by a failed initial gameplan.   Again, that what I see, I trust it.   As they say "Liars figure and figures lie"  don't pin your hopes on statistics.   -Mike Mamula.

I prefer dull and winning over exciting and losing.  Count me as being behind Pep as well as Chuck.

Part of the reason he hasn't lasted long at any job is high demand for his services. I mean seriously, he was supposed to turn down stanford so he could stay at San Diego? And given what Jed has done since harbaugh left, I'm inclined to think Jimbo was right for wanting more control.

I understand him leaving WKU for Stanford. What I don't like is how quickly it's all happened between Stanford, San Fran and now Michigan. Personally, I don't want a coach that'll be around for 4-5 years and then just walk away for the next best offer when he doesn't get his way.

You're looking at this through a 3 year window.  Most of us, Irsay included, are looking at it through a 17 year window.  We were already once blessed with one once in a generation QB, and saw his career wasted.  We've seen this same act for 17 years - great QB, severely flawed team.  If Grigson and Chuck cannot build a reasonably balanced team around Luck, they will be gone, and they know it.   Chuck said so himself while Grigson alluded to that reality in an interview.  It's what they signed up for. 

I think it is very difficult to build a balanced team in this era. If you look at this year's SB teams you will see unbalance and flaws. Seattle had basically no WRs and an inconsistent pass rush and the Pats had a porous run defense and no deep pass threat. You just hope that the strengths you do have cover the weaknesses. I really don't think the Colts are that far off if they can bolster the defensive front and get better pass covering LBs.

I think it is very difficult to build a balanced team in this era. If you look at this year's SB teams you will see unbalance and flaws. Seattle had basically no WRs and an inconsistent pass rush and the Pats had a porous run defense and no deep pass threat. You just hope that the strengths you do have cover the weaknesses. I really don't think the Colts are that far off if they can bolster the defensive front and get better pass covering LBs.

You're nitpicking though.  Of course every team has flaws, which is why I used the term "reasonably balanced."  This team?  Outside the QB, this was a bad team - bad O-line, historically bad RB, below average defense.

If the HC, OC and DC are smart enough, they already know that what they have done so far is inadequate. More of the same isn't going to cut it. The problem isn't the Xs and Os, or certain tactics (plays) - it is the lack of awareness of strategic advantages and how to leverage them. Bill Belichick (as was Bill Walsh) is just much better than your average NFL coach at strategies (yep, one size does not fit all). Hopefully, the Colt's coaches will learn how to develop, implement and leverage strategies - but that is a hard lesson to learn, and I'm not optimistic.

Anyone can underperform, no matter what the talent level.

I totally agree with you.  I wonder if anyone has stopped to think the Colts are putting contracts on the back burner (Luck, Pagano, etc) because they are dug in...ready to put all of their thoughts and efforts into the draft, OTAs, trainging came, and the road to the Super Bowl?  I feel this is a more likely scenario that Pagano and Grigson are DOOMED if we do not win.  Those thoughts are base-less and ridiculous.

There are a whole lot of teams that get beat by Belichick....this negative 'stuff' ticks me off.   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!

If I am correct Chuck turned down a 1 year contract so if he were to take this team to SB he can get a major contract. Also if I am correct was it half of this forum during last season screaming for a coaching change because of the play calling and getting blown out. I believe this is a good move either by Chuck or the team, I love winning just like the next person but the ultimate goal is to get to the SB if it is by coaching or on the field. So it is up to the team to man up this year and get to the SB.

I totally agree with you.  I wonder if anyone has stopped to think the Colts are putting contracts on the back burner (Luck, Pagano, etc) because they are dug in...ready to put all of their thoughts and efforts into the draft, OTAs, trainging came, and the road to the Super Bowl?  I feel this is a more likely scenario that Pagano and Grigson are DOOMED if we do not win.  Those thoughts are base-less and ridiculous.

There are a whole lot of teams that get beat by Belichick....this negative 'stuff' ticks me off.   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!

Good point.  The news story innuendo that the colts wouldn't resign Luck were pretty silly.  He's not going anywhere

That said, I think it's an important year.  Pouring money into FA and rookie contracts coming up.  The Colts will have a lot of decisions to make budget wise.

Good point.  The news story innuendo that the colts wouldn't resign Luck were pretty silly.  He's not going anywhere

That said, I think it's an important year.  Pouring money into FA and rookie contracts coming up.  The Colts will have a lot of decisions to make budget wise.

Without a question you are spot on.  A ton of money will be going to Luck, Hilton and Castonzo very soon...among others.  Coach Pagano too if we reach the Super Bowl or win it.   :thmup:

Jim Irsay is really starting to tick me off. He continues to embarrass this football team, and I am tired of pushing his actions under the rug. I have been a Colts fan since 1984, and never missed a single game, supporting Irsay through thick and thin. I understand that none of us are perfect. We all have our shortcomings. But this is getting to be absolutely insane. I honestly wish he would just sell the team. Unfortunately he will never do that because he is addicted to any kind of attention he can get. And without the Colts, Jim Irsay wouldn't get any attention.Chuck Pagano has coached this team to 3 straight 11 win seasons, and took us to the playoffs every year. The only reason we are having this conversation is because Jim Irsay is the owner. I am getting really sick of Irsay! It is getting very hard to defend him, and even harder to want to have a reason to.

"And without the Colts, Jim Irsay wouldn't get any attention."

Hmm. The same argument can be made by allowing to post on this forum, and I'm not talking about "the Colts". No one would get any attention without Mr. Irsay's "okey-dokey!", and that includes you Blueshoe! :)

Very sensible, amfootball. I am impressed. Seriously.

Training camp.....not in editing mode today :)

"And without the Colts, Jim Irsay wouldn't get any attention."

Hmm. The same argument can be made by allowing to post on this forum, and I'm not talking about "the Colts". No one would get any attention without Mr. Irsay's "okey-dokey!", and that includes you Blueshoe! :)

What you talkin bout Willis?  :D

What you talkin bout Willis?  :D

Jim Irsay owns this team. Right? Okay, the man has in his control very many powers running this team including input how forums are run. Notwithstanding, he has the ability to shut down fan input if he wants to. Never will happen, of course. Has them nonetheless. So, in essence, giving you the right to express your opinions. We're talking about "attention". That is exactly what this forum gives YOU and Mr. Irsay. Get it? :)

Jim Irsay owns this team. Right? Okay, the man has in his control very many powers running this team including input how forums are run. Notwithstanding, he has the ability to shut down fan input if he wants to. Never will happen, of course. Has them nonetheless. So, in essence, giving you the right to express your opinions. We're talking about "attention". That is exactly what this forum gives YOU and Mr. Irsay. Get it? :)

He doesn't have the power over every Website. And if he tried to go Nazi on this board then people would disappear from here to another. 

I can express my rights anywhere, and I do not need Jim Irsay's OK to have an opinion. I am sorry to hear that you feel someone has that kind of power over you. 

I understand him leaving WKU for Stanford. What I don't like is how quickly it's all happened between Stanford, San Fran and now Michigan. Personally, I don't want a coach that'll be around for 4-5 years and then just walk away for the next best offer when he doesn't get his way.

He always left for a better job....except when the Niners forced him out.

This is why I keep talking about how the Falcons fell apart. Irsay wants the team to keep getting better, not stall out and come crashing down to earth. Sometimes a little discomfort is good for your staff. Irsay isn't a drastic, overreacting kind of owner. I don't think his decision is about whether or not we beat the Patriots, or whether or not we get to and win the Super Bowl. But he does want to make sure he has the right people in charge. This is probably the best way.

post-2111-0-36568900-1427474288_thumb.jp

Jim Irsay is really starting to tick me off. He continues to embarrass this football team, and I am tired of pushing his actions under the rug. I have been a Colts fan since 1984, and never missed a single game, supporting Irsay through thick and thin. I understand that none of us are perfect. We all have our shortcomings. But this is getting to be absolutely insane. I honestly wish he would just sell the team. Unfortunately he will never do that because he is addicted to any kind of attention he can get. And without the Colts, Jim Irsay wouldn't get any attention.Chuck Pagano has coached this team to 3 straight 11 win seasons, and took us to the playoffs every year. The only reason we are having this conversation is because Jim Irsay is the owner. I am getting really sick of Irsay! It is getting very hard to defend him, and even harder to want to have a reason to.

That was a whole lot of silliness

I missed a lot of posts so I apologize if I repeat something but indeed this is a big year for him. For one he is in a contract year....not many coaches get left out to dry in a contract year. I PERSONALLY think its the wrong thing to do for Irsay. Say we have some injuries...we hit a rough spot...go like 2-4 or something at point....we hit a point of no return...either get back on track or players give up on their coach. If we say extended him another year it would give him legitimacy in the locker room. Like coach is coming back we better get on board or we may lose our job...as opposed to well coach is gone...mail it in or not he ain't making a decision on my future anyways. Its not that simple but basically along those lines. Doesn't matter if you are keeping the guy or not you can cut him lose with a year left and not be out much. This puts a TON of pressure on the guy with no contract working under. We already have high expectations but man thats rough. We've seen many crack under less. What happens is if he coaches well but just gets us back to where we were you put yourself between a rock and a hard place about re-signing him....he will want a longer deal and other teams might offer him to rebuild them or your stuck extending him long term yourself whether you want that or not maybe. Extend him a year now he has security and the option to cut after this year or extend him if we perform well. I just don't like leaving your coach out there like that.

I think we basically have to get back to where we were last year or beyond to have any hope of keeping the job (unless Luck goes down). If we go 1 and done I doubt he is brought back. Its harsh in the NFL but the team is built to win it all and we saw with Fox...good is just not good enough.

Irsay doesn't want Atlanta...but he doesn't want Cincy either where we can't get over the hump...where the talent is there but coaching might limit their performance. He clearly wasn't happy with the last Manning era...and we had a lot of stability with coaching staffs...so clearly he is ok with a shake up...and Grigson understands that too...so if Chuck can't get it done with his players maybe another coach can....else they both could go.

It's much ado about nothing to me.  If the season is successful then Jim will pay the man.

Just that simple.  I'm surprised the medias pants aren't all in a bunch about Irsay waiting

to do Lucks contract.  Why are we getting mad that Irsay is "sticking with the process"?

Let him evaluate or whatever it is that satisfies him and things will be fine. 

I don't think Irsay has any intentions on letting Chuck leave.  That doesn't usually happen with Irsay

unless there is a losing season like the 2-14.  Same thing happend with Mora I believe,

Irsay starts taking names and chin checking after losing seasons.  He's fairly loyal if you're

winning.  Now I wouldn't be surprised if the season didn't go the way we planned that Irsay would

come to Chuck with some stipulations for a renewal.  Stipulations such as firing certain coordinators.

I understand everything you're saying,  I just think this feels like a rush to judgement.    GM's and HC's get fired after three years of 5-11,  not three years of 11-5.

I know,  no one is getting fired tight now,  and it's entirely possible that Chuck gets re-hired in a year and that's what I'm hoping for.

But I'm not sure what Irsay is looking for that he hasn't already seen in his first 3 years?

Does the team need lots of improvement?    Heck yeah!    And no one has said that more than I have.   But building a great franchise that is sustainable takes time....       I hope Irsay gives Pagano and Grigson the time to do it.....

I understand everything you're saying,  I just think this feels like a rush to judgement.    GM's and HC's get fired after three years of 5-11,  not three years of 11-5.

I know,  no one is getting fired tight now,  and it's entirely possible that Chuck gets re-hired in a year and that's what I'm hoping for.

But I'm not sure what Irsay is looking for that he hasn't already seen in his first 3 years?

Does the team need lots of improvement?    Heck yeah!    And no one has said that more than I have.   But building a great franchise that is sustainable takes time....       I hope Irsay gives Pagano and Grigson the time to do it.....

Nice post, NewColtsFan! :)