Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sources: Make or Break Year for HC Chuck Pagano

TKnight24

Although I like where the team is headed we cant continually get blown out by the same team in the same manner that is not progress.  I have always been a believer that an HC should get 3 years to prove himself and continually progress.  Lets see what happens this season as I think on paper we are already better than last season. 

Grigs also must be held accountable. 

This is a big year for the Colts I am not saying it is Superbowl or bust but we need to at least show up if we meet the Pats in the playoffs again.

And what if we don't meet the Pats in the playoffs? Execution stayed?

I don't think the measuring stick is beating the Pats. I understand why they're in everyone's heads, but it's overblown at this point.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chuck is obviously a "good" coach.      What separates the average from the GREAT?  A QB is first on the list.

THEN...     it boils down to how good a manager of talent and EGO's are you?   Chuck is obviously a "vet guy" he is NOT willing to rock the boat and just play younger talent.      This IMO is a HUGE flaw in Chuck's persona.    The TRich, and Wayne clown show the second half of the season was embarrassing.   Neither belonged on the field and yet Chuck kept on keeping on.   ???

Long story short..  I am doubtful Chuck has the STONES to be a BIG TIME NFL coach.    Simply can't be a players best pal and BOSS at the same time.      JMO ... we shall see...   I think Chuck feels he owes some guys on the team for what went down when he was sick.       And that is a hard thing to deal with but...     he has too.

OH and attacking NE the same way 3 straight times after what we have witnessed....      is ....     simply ...     sigh....  

Oh well..  

What is the judging stick for Pagano? He just made the AFCCG. Does he have to win the SB to keep his job? That seems extreme.

And what if we don't meet the Pats in the playoffs? Execution stayed?

I don't think the measuring stick is beating the Pats. I understand why they're in everyone's heads, but it's overblown at this point.

It's in Irsay's mind. Practically recited the box score at the owners meeting.

Werner: I think he's been a huge disappointment as a first round pick.  I think this pick was a big mistake.  I didn't like it when it happened and I still don't like it.  Werner has shown some improvement, but I don't think he is where a former first round pick should be.

Thornton: Decent (but not great) when he plays, but can't stay healthy.

Holmes: Same as Thornton

Hughes: Pagano hyped up this guy like he was the second coming of Reggie White.  I think he said something like Hughes moves as quickly at Haloti Ngata and is as fast as guys 100 lbs lighter.  The hype on Hughes was really high, but I think he's failed to live up to it.  I haven't been that impressed with his play on the field.

Boyett: haha

Williams: Played decently well for Arizona last year

Cunningham: Not on the Colts

I understand that all GMs miss more than they hit, but I don't see a single reliable player in this group.  Werner is the closest, but he was scratched for the playoff game against the Pats.  When your super-hyped up first round pick (who "beats you with his want-to", according to Grigson) is a healthy scratch for the most important game your franchise has had in 4 years, that's a problem.

Werner, IMO is best suited for setting the edge, he was pushed into Rush due to injury's.

Thornton, I agree...But, when drafting, you can not predict future injury's.

Holmes, I agree, but thought he did well when finally started.

Hughes, got a lot of playing time,didn't suck, will get better

the other 3 don't matter today.

It's in Irsay's mind. Practically recited the box score at the owners meeting.

We'll see how things shake out, but I don't think the Pats are necessarily going to be the biggest obstacle in 2015. So tying Pagano's future to what happens against them seems imprudent.

Before we can beat them in the playoffs, we have to get to the playoffs. That's easier said than done. Have to stave off the backslide that trips teams up at this stage. And the Pats have to get there, too.

Chuck is obviously a "good" coach.      What separates the average from the GREAT?  A QB is first on the list.

THEN...     it boils down to how good a manager of talent and EGO's are you?   Chuck is obviously a "vet guy" he is NOT willing to rock the boat and just play younger talent.      This IMO is a HUGE flaw in Chuck's persona.    The TRich, and Wayne clown show the second half of the season was embarrassing.   Neither belonged on the field and yet Chuck kept on keeping on.   ???

Long story short..  I am doubtful Chuck has the STONES to be a BIG TIME NFL coach.    Simply can't be a players best pal and BOSS at the same time.      JMO ... we shall see...   I think Chuck feels he owes some guys on the team for what went down when he was sick.       And that is a hard thing to deal with but...     he has too.

OH and attacking NE the same way 3 straight times after what we have witnessed....      is ....     simply ...     sigh....  

Oh well..  

Good valid observations.   Chuck is an average-ish Head Coach.

The Colts need one of those top no-nonsense head coaches to get to the SB and win it.

I don't expect we can win the SB this year with Pagano.

Good valid observations.   Chuck is an average-ish Head Coach.

The Colts need one of those top no-nonsense head coaches to get to the SB and win it.

I don't expect we can win the SB this year with Pagano.

And who are these coaches ? How many times have they beat the Hoodie and won the super Bowl ? and why are they available?

This is just flat wrong. The only place he was accused of wearing out his welcome was San Francisco, which turned out to be entirely fabricated by the *ic front office. The players adored him in SF, they've all said this. It was the worst owner in the league (except maybe Snyder?) creating a reason to get rid of a successful coach because Jed wanted full control.

No...  it's not wrong.

Harbaugh wore out his welcome at Stanford.     Yes, the school offered him a new contract,  but everyone thought he'd only last one more year to be with Andrew Luck and then he'd move on.     But,  he absolutely had worn out his welcome there.

And he had worn out his welcome at USD,  where he was before Stanford.

He's a very, very tightly wired guy.    And he wears on people over time.    Over coaches, players and support staff.

A quote from today's print version of the STAR: Ryan Grigson, "Our mandate from our owner down is to be able to stop the run in January and make the adaptations during the game to stop the bleeding. Then we have to have players because those coaches can't play for the guys."

I think there is some validity to Rappaport's comments, in that the GM is quoting the owner that they are both a bit disappointed in schemes and in-game adjustments.

But I think the axe would fall on Manusky before Pagano, and not necessarily in the same year.

A quote from today's print version of the STAR: Ryan Grigson, "Our mandate from our owner down is to be able to stop the run in January and make the adaptations during the game to stop the bleeding. Then we have to have players because those coaches can't play for the guys."

I think there is some validity to Rappaport's comments, in that the GM is quoting the owner that they are both a bit disappointed in schemes and in-game adjustments.

But I think the axe would fall on Manusky before Pagano, and not necessarily in the same year.

too bad we did not get wade Phillips, he will make denvers d top notch

Everyone is ignoring the fact our CB play has been stellar.  

Pagano is a DB guy and they're doing great. 

Rappaport is also a terrible source. 

Him and Schefter are probably the two most popular guys who want to break a story before they have any facts. 

I'll believe it when it comes out of Grigson or Irsay's mouth. 

Everyone is ignoring the fact our CB play has been stellar.

Pagano is a DB guy and they're doing great.

Rappaport is also a terrible source.

Him and Schefter are probably the two most popular guys who want to break a story before they have any facts.

I'll believe it when it comes out of Grigson or Irsay's mouth.

Look up a few spots at DougDew post, there's your request

I don't know if it's ben said already but calling this a make or break year for Chuck because of he isn't getting an extension right now is like saying the same about Luck and we all know that's bologna.

2 different scenarios. Irsay has already booked it that signing luck is a priority heading into the next offseason, never said that about Chuck

If he is gone after 2015 then damn that was quick. But I would get the reasoning behind such a decision. Like someone else in the thread said earlier, the Colts have over-achieved, no doubt, but Pagano needs to take that next step with all the talent that's been added. They've been good but there's a little pizazz that seems to be missing.

It's simple.  Pagano was brought in to build a Raven like defense.  That has not happened.  In fact, the defense has looked awful against the likes of Pittsburgh, Dallas and New England (on multiple occasions).  It's a smart move by the Colts not to do the extension yet.  Let's see if he can actually deliver the defense that Irsay brought him in for.  Stopping the run is critical.  Unfortuately for Pagano...thus far it doesn't look like the Colts have added much to the Dline this offseason to expect much different results.  Alot will depend on what they do in the draft.  We really need to address our defensive line. Relying on backups to step up and young rookies to improve is risky but looks to be where we are at right now.

So, this week is all about the owner/coach dirt apparently.

Owner's meeting or whatever takes place and we get awesome stories about Belichick going on a foul mouthed tirade, Vikings not willing to trade Peterson, Bradford looked almost as good as Manning coming out of college, and now this?

Out of those four "stories" I believe EXACTLY zero of them.

Pagano is not going anywhere unless he wants to.

DC and OC are more likely to be replaced.

A "worn out welcome" ...      ?

That is very subjective.           Jimbo is demanding.      and he has an EGO.    as does EVERY single suite in the AD.

EVERY ONE WANTS A PIECE OF THE PIE WHEN THINGS ARE GOOD.

Some embrace it.....    And some are jealous of .....       all that comes with it.   

He left Stanford LOADED......     Had SF NOT suffered the injuries they did this last season I really wonder if JH would have been on the market?  but the genius GM got what he wanted.    

Regardless....   I believe J Harbaugh knows one thing for sure....   No welcomes will get "worn" out in AA.       This is where he will be loved.     Look out for Michigan THIS SEASON.    \

The NFL was scared to death of losing JH and guess what  .......    it happened.     Mort, Scheff, Clayton, ...  blah blah, blah, they don't know %.   

And when the NCAA football playoff goes to 8.....    this product is going to be on par with the NFL playoffs.    

the NEW TEN YEAR war     Harbaugh MICH vs Meyer  OSU   ...

No...  it's not wrong.

Harbaugh wore out his welcome at Stanford.     Yes, the school offered him a new contract,  but everyone thought he'd only last one more year to be with Andrew Luck and then he'd move on.     But,  he absolutely had worn out his welcome there.

And he had worn out his welcome at USD,  where he was before Stanford.

He's a very, very tightly wired guy.    And he wears on people over time.    Over coaches, players and support staff.

Lol this is a joke he has helped us incredibly and I have no idea how inheriting a brand new rebuilding team and expecting to win a ring the fourth year while taking the job isn't expected. Keep Pagano

I'm not sure how many years of Luck's career are we willing to spend on a guy whose

teams can't run the ball or stop the run. In his defense we have taken a step each

year in the playoffs.

Luck is the kind of franchise QB that can bring multiple Super Bowls with the right

guy on the sideline. I'm just not totally sold on Pagano but I think the brass is playing

their cards right on this hand.

It's simple. Pagano was brought in to build a Raven like defense. That has not happened. In fact, the defense has looked awful against the likes of Pittsburgh, Dallas and New England (on multiple occasions). It's a smart move by the Colts not to do the extension yet. Let's see if he can actually deliver the defense that Irsay brought him in for. Stopping the run is critical. Unfortuately for Pagano...thus far it doesn't look like the Colts have added much to the Dline this offseason to expect much different results. Alot will depend on what they do in the draft. We really need to address our defensive line. Relying on backups to step up and young rookies to improve is risky but looks to be where we are at right now.

If the Ravens can have a bunch of UDFA and unknown players hold their secondary together, I don't see why we couldn't have Hughes and Co. step up on the defensive line. There's no way we're coming outta the draft with the help some people claim we need

One solid NT or DE is what we need. some act like we need all 3 starters outta this one draft smh

Jones Langford Draft

Or just roll with Jones Langford Hughes

Just get depth in the draft and build onto the secondary and offensive line

I won't be disappointed if Pep goes elsewhere as a HC next year. I wouldn't want to lose Chud. Keep him as the asst head and run the offense.

I wouldn't either I don't think his offense is anything spectacular that we couldn't replace but like I said in a post above if chuck was out I wouldn't mind chud he got a raw deal with the browns

A "worn out welcome" ...      ?

That is very subjective.           Jimbo is demanding.      and he has an EGO.    as does EVERY single suite in the AD.

EVERY ONE WANTS A PIECE OF THE PIE WHEN THINGS ARE GOOD.

Some embrace it.....    And some are jealous of .....       all that comes with it.   

He left Stanford LOADED......     Had SF NOT suffered the injuries they did this last season I really wonder if JH would have been on the market?  but the genius GM got what he wanted.    

Regardless....   I believe J Harbaugh knows one thing for sure....   No welcomes will get "worn" out in AA.       This is where he will be loved.     Look out for Michigan THIS SEASON.    \

The NFL was scared to death of losing JH and guess what  .......    it happened.     Mort, Scheff, Clayton, ...  blah blah, blah, they don't know %.   

And when the NCAA football playoff goes to 8.....    this product is going to be on par with the NFL playoffs.    

the NEW TEN YEAR war     Harbaugh MICH vs Meyer  OSU   ...

JD....

We're making two different arguments.    And I'm not disagreeing with yours.

You're saying Harbaugh is a great coach.     I agree.

I'm saying Harbaugh is a great coach,  but he wears out his welcome everywhere he's been.    USD,  Stanford,  and SF.

I'm sure he'd do a very good job with Indy.    But by the end of his run people who work for the Colts will be glad to see him walk out the door -- even if he brings a SB trophy to the team.    He's that type of guy.