Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One rule the NFL takes action on.....

NewColtsFan

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my friend who is a Giants fan said to me recently, "I would kill to have a team good enough that everyone just assumes they're cheating." lol.

glad the Pats got to take advantage of it and expose it to the league..  They'll get their shiny new SB rings soon and life will move on.. They weren't exactly planning their entire offense around this bizarre formation so it won't affect them at all going forward, they'll invent another wrinkle next year that will have teams up in arms haha

They should have the letters "RW:PC" engraved on the rings.

As my friend who is a Giants fan said to me recently, "I would kill to have a team good enough that everyone just assumes they're cheating." lol.

Yea but what you're "friend" said doesn't apply to you.  The Patriots have been routinely involved in getting to the farthest line they can in regards to the integrity of the game so therefore the first thing people usually think is cheating.  Not because you're "good".  We know you're team is good because BB has mastered the use of the salary cap and we actually have said that repeatedly for what... hmm when was 2003?  Let's see 12 years now?

To think we call y'all cheaters because your team is just "good" is a slap in the face to us.  We do it because the actions have warranted.  Until your regime changes I'd probably get used to it.

This decision to ban the practice of WR's neglecting to tell referees that they were actually not eligible was a good call. Was Julian Edelman reached for comment on this new ruling because during the Ravens game itself he said "Ignorance of the rules is no excuse." 

John Harbaugh was right in raising a fuss over this NE practice. This wasn't intellectual deception like outwitting your opponent; This was bordering on unethical as in violating good sportsmanship. 

It does make me wonder if NE would have won that divisional round if you took that act of deception away though. It's irrelevant now considering that NE are 4 time SB Champions again I know. 

I'm just saying that this practice by the Patriots fooled me as in what the hades are they doing? How can they not check in with the NFL zebras about who's active on a given down or not? 

I was like how in the hades is that legal? Turns out it wasn't. 

The Patriots organization is defined by dirty tricks, snow plows, football inflation issues, illegal taping. It is celebrated in their own Hall of Fame. Harbaugh has been totally vindicated in this affair. Once again, rules have to be changed because of dishonorable taking advantage of rules. It's not about the Ravens not knowing the rules, or supposedly whining about it, but the refs didn't even know what was going on, which is why things had to be changed. Patriot fans can try to deflect things by bringing up Raven DUI's, but it doesn't hide the fact that this is an asterisk - style organization , that is in the category of the Black Sox , and the East German swimming teams.

The Patriots organization is defined by dirty tricks, snow plows, football inflation issues, illegal taping. It is celebrated in their own Hall of Fame. Harbaugh has been totally vindicated in this affair. Once again, rules have to be changed because of dishonorable taking advantage of rules. It's not about the Ravens not knowing the rules, or supposedly whining about it, but the refs didn't even know what was going on, which is why things had to be changed. Patriot fans can try to deflect things by bringing up Raven DUI's, but it doesn't hide the fact that this is an asterisk - style organization , that is in the category of the Black Sox , and the East German swimming teams.

Shall we go through the Ravens history?

Good for the NFL.

Just out of curiosity.....how many rules have been changed due to antics by the Pats? And how many rules have been changed due to antics of other teams?

Serious question. I really am curious.

I was thinking the same yesterday. It will be interesting to see what other rules will be manipulated by the Pats in the future?

Read this by Tom Curran:

"NFL Taking Aim at All Things Patriots"

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/curran-nfl-taking-aim-all-things-patriots

So now the Patriots are being compared to a baseball team that intentionally threw the World Series for money 100 years ago, and then also to a region that systematically provided PED's to its athletes? That's the level we've dropped to now in trying to discredit and hate on the Patriots???

So now the Patriots are being compared to a baseball team that intentionally threw the World Series for money 100 years ago, and then also to a region that systematically provided PED's to its athletes? That's the level we've dropped to now in trying to discredit and hate on the Patriots???

LOL.... Oh brother.  Get over it.  See my post #42.  

We could care less that the Patriots are a good football team.  They are being talked about in the same company as cheaters because their actions put them there.   This isn't a world vendetta against the Patriots.  When you push the envelope multiple times to the point that MULTIPLE sources really question you're line of integrity to the game, then you will be looked at as cheaters.  Your organization's actions have given them the reputation you are seeing in this very thread.  And the NFL does them no favors by just sweeping it under the bus.  Since their is no punishment no one has the perception that the Patriots have even acknowledged that they push this line of integrity and so they will be seen as voluntary cheaters.

Hate on the Patriots or whatever floats your boat. I had respect for you're organization until these past few years.  After repeatedly hearing about the shady things the Patriots organization does it just wears on perception.  So they won a Super Bowl and I think they cheated for it.  That's my perception and I highly doubt you are going to change that perception by whatever you think falls in the lines of truth.  But to call us "whiners" because the Patriots are just "good" is a slap in the face and completely untrue.  We call you cheaters because you have a history of it.  Accept and move on.

We could care less that the Patriots are a good football team.  They are being talked about in the same company as cheaters because their actions put them there.   This isn't a world vendetta against the Patriots.  When you push the envelope multiple times to the point that MULTIPLE sources really question you're line of integrity to the game, then you will be looked at as cheaters.  Your organization's actions have given them the reputation you are seeing in this very thread.  And the NFL does them no favors by just sweeping it under the bus.  Since their is no punishment no one has the perception that the Patriots have even acknowledged that they push this line of integrity and so they will be seen as voluntary cheaters.

Hate on the Patriots or whatever floats your boat. I had respect for you're organization until these past few years.  After repeatedly hearing about the shady things the Patriots organization does it just wears on perception.  So they won a Super Bowl and I think they cheated for it.  That's my perception and I highly doubt you are going to change that perception by whatever you think falls in the lines of truth.  But to call us "whiners" because the Patriots are just "good" is a slap in the face and completely untrue.  We call you cheaters because you have a history of it.  Accept and move on.

^^This.   I am out of likes right now, but you hit the nail on the head right here.    Correct me if I'm wrong,  this has all happened under Belichick's time with the team, and not before?

For what it's worth,  the Old Crow is a Ravens fan who posts here.    He's not a Colts fan.

Pretty much. Interesting how all the whining about "spirit of the rule" offenses always seem to come from the teams that the Pats beat up on the most ...

^^This.   I am out of likes right now, but you hit the nail on the head right here.    Correct me if I'm wrong,  this has all happened under Belichick's time with the team, and not before?

Yes and honestly I see it as starting to really wear on his status as a legendary coach.  He is so good I just don't understand why all of the deceit.  Unless of course someone thinks it is the "golden boy" (same time frame), but good lord I don't believe this forum could handle that accusation.

Yes and honestly I see it as starting to really wear on his status as a legendary coach.  He is so good I just don't understand why all of the deceit.  Unless of course someone thinks it is the "golden boy" (same time frame), but good lord I don't believe this forum could handle that accusation.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/george-diaz-en-fuego/os-bill-belichick-greatest-coach-super-bowl-20150202-post.html

haha  just imagine the responses :no:    :td:  :applause:  :blah:     :yahoo:  :flaming:  :bomb:  :Nuke:  :explode:  :rant:

#delusional

This one by far.  But I say lets not get into that conversation eh?  :thmup:

I didn't write it. And I have dozens more just like it from writers outside of Boston... but whatever you want to believe. Bill and Brady's legacy are secure as the greatest of their generation ... and they still have time to add to it.

I didn't write it. And I have dozens more just like it from writers outside of Boston... but whatever you want to believe. Bill and Brady's legacy are secure as the greatest of their generation ... and they still have time to add to it.

Do we really wanna go down this path?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12283485/hall-famer-charles-haley-says-four-super-bowl-titles-tainted-cheat-tom-brady-new-england-patriots

I didn't write it FYI.  And there are 1000's more like it...

I don't recall saying anything along the lines of what you mentioned in your response. Literally the only thing I said in my post was that the comparison between the Patriots and a team that intentionally threw a Championship series in order to make more money from gamblers and another team that essentially invented the performance enhancing drug 'epidemic' is a little far fetched. 

I reacted simply to that notion....at no point did I try and create the narrative that you are all whining just because the team is good.

Pretty much. Interesting how all the whining about "spirit of the rule" offenses always seem to come from the teams that the Pats beat up on the most ...

I find it interesting that this "whining" was also noted by the competition committee and then was a rule change.

I'm fairly certain that it wasn't just because the Patriots used the play..

The Patriots used a play that wasn't against the rules at the time (although it was sneaky, and probably should've been) that is now illegal from here on out. I don't see what the big deal is or why you're trying to argue with everyone over everything.

I don't recall saying anything along the lines of what you mentioned in your response. Literally the only thing I said in my post was that the comparison between the Patriots and a team that intentionally threw a Championship series in order to make more money from gamblers and another team that essentially invented the performance enhancing drug 'epidemic' is a little far fetched. 

I reacted simply to that notion....at no point did I try and create the narrative that you are all whining just because the team is good.

Apologies the implied is the rhetoric we have been hearing from multiple Patriot sources when the topics are discussed.  Again apologies if that was not your intention.

Apologies the implied is the rhetoric we have been hearing from multiple Patriot sources when the topics are discussed.  Again apologies if that was not your intention.

No worries...just wanted to make sure you didnt think that I was making that claim. I am fully aware of what the perception is of the team I root for...some is deserved, some is not...but thats just the way it is. I myself dont like the terminology that many use to describe their actions...I dont think that the team 'cheated' by using these formations, but many do and that's fine. It is what it is.

No worries...just wanted to make sure you didnt think that I was making that claim. I am fully aware of what the perception is of the team I root for...some is deserved, some is not...but thats just the way it is. I myself dont like the terminology that many use to describe their actions...I dont think that the team 'cheated' by using these formations, but many do and that's fine. It is what it is.

Awesome Post  :thmup:

2001, 2003, 2004, 2014 New England Patriots Super Bowl victories will "always" have an asterisk behind them! SpyGate and DeflateGate "WILL" be remembered by all NFL fans! :) And that, my NFL friend, is the unmitigated truth. Call 'em like you see 'em comes to mind.

I find it interesting that this "whining" was also noted by the competition committee and then was a rule change.

I'm fairly certain that it wasn't just because the Patriots used the play..

The Patriots used a play that wasn't against the rules at the time (although it was sneaky, and probably should've been) that is now illegal from here on out. I don't see what the big deal is or why you're trying to argue with everyone over everything.

And you said it right there. It wasn't against the rules. Now it is, but in no way does that mean the Patriots cheated.

That's the only real thing that I have trouble accepting about the perception of the team...a lot of the instances that people reference as 'proof' of why they are despicable were, in fact, not against the rules. Yes, they videotapes coaches signals 8 years ago instead of writing them down like everyone else, and there is no defense for that. I get it, and I understand peoples reactions to that situation. But everything else?

Saying things like 'the Patriots have a history of cheating' is kind of a little unfair. Spygate happened. Fine. That's an isolated incident that embarassed the team, the front office, and the fans, and unfortunately we have that mark against us. But illegal contact? The snowplow game? Formations that are now illegal but not at the time they used them? Not cheating. So is this 'history of cheating' really just about Spygate still? Because if that's the case then fine, nobody's mind is going to change on that...but one incident should not be used to condemn every single thing people hate about the team going forward. Do they deserve the benefit of the doubt in the minds of most fans? Probably not, but getting one speeding ticket almost a decade ago does not automatically make you a reckless driver forever.