Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One rule the NFL takes action on.....

NewColtsFan

....  is the concept of taking a player who is normally an eligible receiver and announcing that for this play or that play he's now INELIGIBLE,  while lining up as an eligible player,  that is now banned.

The rule wasn't modified, or tweaked, or adjusted.     It was banned.

This is the update from NFL.com

UPDATE:  In a move that will make Baltimore fans happy, NFL owners passed Wednesday the rule proposal making the practice of players declaring themselves ineligible and then lining up in the slot illegal. Players reporting ineligible must line up in the tackle box. The Patriots used that tactic to much success in a divisional playoff win over the Ravens this past January.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does that have to do with the current topic?

Absolutely nothing.

On topic, we all knew this was coming, one way or the other. I thought they might just slow things down in certain situations, but by requiring ineligible players to line up inside the tackle box, they've driven a wooden stake right through the heart of any Swinging Gate play/variation.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, March 25, 2015 - personal shot
Hidden by Superman, March 25, 2015 - personal shot

I am sure Harbaugh would be doing the dance of joy over this IF he was not dealing with this three player arrests this month, http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10669969/john-harbaugh-says-baltimore-ravens-arrests-unacceptable

typical pats fan another dirty tactic exposed and your response is something that has nothing to do with the topic i hate these people

take your undeserved titles and go choke on it low class cheaters

Absolutely nothing.

On topic, we all knew this was coming, one way or the other. I thought they might just slow things down in certain situations, but by requiring ineligible players to line up inside the tackle box, they've driven a wooden stake right through the heart of any Swinging Gate play/variation.

Its fair..The idea of players announcing they are eligible...in my mind..is so the defense has a fair chance to cover them.

Its another from of an illegal offensive formation..which has always been banned

Its fair..The idea of players announcing they are eligible...in my mind..is so the defense has a fair chance to cover them.

Its another from of an illegal offensive formation..which has always been banned

Belichick has said in response that this rule will effect spread punt formations .... should be interesting to see when teams get called for penalties on this ....

I am sure Harbaugh would be doing the dance of joy over this IF he was not dealing with this three player arrests this month, http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10669969/john-harbaugh-says-baltimore-ravens-arrests-unacceptable

Now now am, I seem to remember the Patriots have a player who is the middle of a trial and will be facing another one when that one is over. For murder. No matter what the Raven players did don't compare to that. :pkb:

I'm sure he did. But it was the exact same play

Does not mean he got it from them. Lots of plays are run in college and then the pros. Bill said he got it from the NFL not college. He would have no reason to lie as he has credited college programs before like Chip Kelly and the hurry up when he employed that a few seasons ago.

Does not mean he got it from them. Lots of plays are run in college and then the pros. Bill said he got it from the NFL not college. He would have no reason to lie as he has credited college programs before like Chip Kelly and the hurry up when he employed that a few seasons ago.

He gave credit to Kelly for running a hurry up offense? Chip Kelly didn't invent the hurry up offense, and the patriots have never ran an offense that even remotely ressembles Chip Kellys offense

He gave credit to Kelly for running a hurry up offense? Chip Kelly didn't invent the hurry up offense, and the patriots have never ran an offense that even remotely ressembles Chip Kellys offense

No. When the Pats did the extreme hurry a few years ago, Bill said he go the idea from watching Kelly do it with Oregon. Not the formations or the plays jus the extreme hurry up. He did not credit Kelly with inventing the hurry up just that he copied his concept.

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/NFL-adopts-rule-changes/7f2a0cd9-8dde-44cf-86cd-f94f9378a79c

They also redefined the tackle box:

The definition of the tackle box was changed to: between the outside edges of the normal tackle positions extending three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line. (Submitted by Competition Committee)

http://www.detroitlions.com/news/article-1/NFL-adopts-rule-changes/7f2a0cd9-8dde-44cf-86cd-f94f9378a79c

They also redefined the tackle box:

The definition of the tackle box was changed to: between the outside edges of the normal tackle positions extending three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line. (Submitted by Competition Committee)

That's interesting. So then in theory a team could still have its RB outside of the tackle box as now defined by the new rule.

No but cut as soon as arrested unlike Ray Lewis.

Why are you possessed with pointing fingers at other teams? It seems your team has have it's fair share of bad things that have had happen. One issue is yet to be resolved. Always deflect to what other teams do and don't do is what a lot of Patriot fans do. You were off topic in the first place.

As the owners meeting was unfolding and no ruling was handed down I was prepared to eat crow on this.   I didn't know what was taking so long.

The only reason I was even somewhat confident that something would happen is the motion to change things came from the competition committee and NOT from a team.    A proposal coming from the C.C. has far more weight to it.   That means it had input from a number of prominent coaches and GM's.    This was NOT due to some perceived whining from Baltimore.

So, I waited and waited.....

In the end, it looks like this was the last order of business before the meeting ended.    And I'm very pleased that it was changed.

The formation is so counter-intuitive to how defenses line up and make their reads that it gave offenses a huge competitive advantage.    I think a rule change like this needs 3/4 votes....   so, I'm glad that was great support for it.

Time to move on........

As the owners meeting was unfolding and no ruling was handed down I was prepared to eat crow on this.   I didn't know what was taking so long.

The only reason I was even somewhat confident that something would happen is the motion to change things came from the competition committee and NOT from a team.    A proposal coming from the C.C. has far more weight to it.   That means it had input from a number of prominent coaches and GM's.    This was NOT due to some perceived whining from Baltimore.

In the end, it looks like this was the last order of business before the meeting ended.    And I'm very pleased that it was changed.

The formation is so counter-intuitive to how defenses line up and make their reads that it gave offenses a huge competitive advantage.    I think a rule change like this needs 3/4 votes....   so, I'm glad that was great support for it.

Time to move on........

It was a modified changed. Read Superman's post on the tackle box being expanded ...

Time to move on........

You're probably aware already, but there's another league meeting in May. Other proposals will be voted on at that time, including the camera proposal and a change to the extra point.

It was a modified changed. Read Superman's post on the tackle box being expanded ...

No, it wasn't modified. The rule passed as it was proposed by the committee. They changed the definition of the tackle box in a separate proposal. 

Yes, that seems like a strange concession and really does not change things all that much IMO.

I don't know if it's strange. If I understand it correctly -- and I might not -- it allows for an ineligible player to line up as much as three yards away from where the tackle normally lines up. That allows teams to use unbalanced formations with an extra ineligible player on one side of the play. That means the TD play the Pats and Colts used against each other is still legal.

No, it wasn't modified. The rule passed as it was proposed by the committee. They changed the definition of the tackle box in a separate proposal. 

I don't know if it's strange. If I understand it correctly -- and I might not -- it allows for an ineligible player to line up as much as three yards away from where the tackle normally lines up. That allows teams to use unbalanced formations with an extra ineligible player on one side of the play. That means the TD play the Pats and Colts used against each other is still legal.

Yeah, that sounds right. I am not sure Vereen was lined up much past three yards on the Ravens play either. He probably was but still that would allow for the RB to appear outside the formation which seems strange to me as I thought the whole point was to make the ineligible player appear in the tackle box so the defense would not cover him?

glad the Pats got to take advantage of it and expose it to the league..  They'll get their shiny new SB rings soon and life will move on.. They weren't exactly planning their entire offense around this bizarre formation so it won't affect them at all going forward, they'll invent another wrinkle next year that will have teams up in arms haha

That Baltimore game was a real close nail-bitter victory. It's no exaggeration to say if the Pats hadn't used these plays, they may not have won the game. They can claim they were playing under the rules, but the fact this rule was so quickly banned after the season reaffirms this was a shady approach to football and puts another asterisk next to their Superbowl winning season; deflate-gate not to be mentioned until pending further ruling.

That Baltimore game was a real close nail-bitter victory. It's no exaggeration to say if the Pats hadn't used these plays, they may not have won the game. They can claim they were playing under the rules, but the fact this rule was so quickly banned after the season reaffirms this was a shady approach to football and puts another asterisk next to their Superbowl winning season; deflate-gate not to be mentioned until pending further ruling.

Im sure Kraft has sent the Lombardi trophy down the street to the Asterisk Shop to have that added on it right away!

Im sure Kraft has sent the Lombardi trophy down the street to the Asterisk Shop to have that added on it right away!

As my friend who is a Giants fan said to me recently, "I would kill to have a team good enough that everyone just assumes they're cheating." lol.

i haven't had time to read up on the new rule but if it's expanded than wouldn't that affect qb intentional grounding and some other rules that the tackle box is included in? Sounds like it could open another can of worms. Interesting to say the least.

That all said this rule was coming...no doubt it was legal for the Pats but we could clearly see the chaos it caused. Last thing we need is stuff that makes it more difficult on the defense. All I've ever heard is wah wah it's all about the offense and making it easy and penalizing the defense but 1 rule to help the defense and suddenly people get snippy. Funny.

Why are you possessed with pointing fingers at other teams? It seems your team has have it's fair share of bad things that have had happen. One issue is yet to be resolved. Always deflect to what other teams do and don't do is what a lot of Patriot fans do. You were off topic in the first place.

Not wanting to face reality is what it looks like to me. Lots of people dont like reality because it hurts alot of the time. Just like the truth does at times which is why people dont like it. So they will come up with every excuse and deflection in the book to push it off on something else.