The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

The Off-Ball LBs - Hub Post

The EDGEs - Hub Post

Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma

Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

Eddie Goldman, DT, FSU

CarlDavis663jpg-9-1418588745-663x360-res

Mock Draftable chart (note the 1st and 3rd comparable): http://mockdraftable.com/player/4865/

Games watched: vs Indiana, vs Nebraska, vs Ohio State, vs Michigan

The Good: 

Elite athletic profile. Very comparable to Leonard Williams. Athletic and strong enough to move all over the defensive line. 

Powerful explosion off of the line. Makes first contact with authority. 

High motor. Always chases down the line. Apparently he is supposed to have motor questions, but I didn't see anything in 4 games that would bring that to question. 

Strength to push back blockers.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=RadiantQualifiedAfricanharrierhawk

ex. Oh http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=DefinitiveLinearBug

Keeps eyes in the backfield and knows when to disengage from blocks.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=AccomplishedGrotesqueAnaconda

Uses speed, lateral agility, and hand usage to get in the backfield without the center even laying a finger on him:

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=CircularUnfoldedAmericancurl

Stunts to the edge here and gets a sack

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=ResponsibleFirmHalcyon

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=JoyousDevotedAlaskajingle

Dominates 1-on-1 match-ups. 

Doesn't ever get driven back.  

Fantastic instincts. Reads the zone-read here and makes the tackle 1-on-1. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257250&gif=ThisFakeBasilisk

Also blocks kicks!

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257250&gif=AfraidDeadBlackwidowspider [badly formatted gif] 

The Bad:

Doesn't split double-teams consistently, but he holds his ground against them. 

Isn't going to anchor as a NT in the NFL. 

Stands up-right and loses leverage a lot.

Plays mostly as a 1-tech NT. Doesn't move around often.

Had a few off-side penalties.

Conclusion:  

For some reason or another, Davis isn't getting the hype he deserves. If I watched him without knowing what the general consensus was on him by the media, I'd probably think he was a top-10 lock. His movement and pass rush ability reminds me of another player who was the cornerstone of a Chuck Pagno defense. A DT by the name of Ngata. 

NFL Comparison: Haloti Ngata, DET

Projected Round: 1st

I am a big fan of Davis, I wouldn't mind him in the first round if some of the other top D-Lineman don't fall. The media has been obsessed around Leonard Williams along with a few others, but seem to overlook talents like Carl Davis a 1-2 rounder and Xavier Cooper in the 2nd round. It is definitely a big time draft for D-Lineman this year, lots of talent throughout the rounds.

Seeing Ngata, DET made me do a double take haha

His size makes the whole "unable to play NT" thing a bit worrisome, plus it's what he played in college.

Did you see the effort issue thing that's been following him around?

I think he could probably play pretty well as a 3-tech for us in our 3-4 and then slide back as a 1-tech in nickel packages. Stout against the run and can eat up blockers to help free up our LB's. The more and more I see on the guy I like him. I was against a DL at our pick in the first but I'm warming up to the idea if the right person is there a la Davis. Nice write up Dustin.

That ain't right.

Looks more like the center as well the two tackles purposely allowed the rush up field by design. The quarterback already read blitz before the snap and immediately went to the hot route. Not knocking Davis, but I think he may have been allowed to beat the center.  I could be wrong.

Davis is a good player, but the only problem I have with Dustins' examples is they are almost exclusively against Indiana.

Now I like me some Tevin Coleman, but the rest of that team sucks!  Need to see a better grade of competition.

I went back and watched some of the film against Nebraska and Ohio State.  Davis is a guy I wouldn't mind having with pick #29 if it came down to it.  Real strong at the point of attack, hard to handle one on one, pass rushing ability, disruptive against both pass and run.  I like him.

Looks more like the center as well the two tackles purposely allowed the rush up field by design. The quarterback already read blitz before the snap and immediately went to the hot route. Not knocking Davis, but I think he may have been allowed to beat the center.  I could be wrong.

Nah, I disagree. The center tries to get back to Davis and block him again. Yeah, it's a screen play, or at least has a screen option, but the center doesn't make any effort to get over to that side of the play. It looks to me like the center expects Davis to go left, which obviously doesn't happen. I think it's just a good move + bad technique by the center.

Seeing Ngata, DET made me do a double take haha

His size makes the whole "unable to play NT" thing a bit worrisome, plus it's what he played in college.

Did you see the effort issue thing that's been following him around?

I don't think he played NT in college, I'm pretty sure Iowa uses the 4-3 which doesn't have a NT.  He played DT in college.  

I see him as a 3 tech DE in our scheme.  I agree I don't think he's big and strong enough to be a NT.

I'd been reading there was some word that he came off bad in interviews.  

I don't think he played NT in college, I'm pretty sure Iowa uses the 4-3 which doesn't have a NT. He played DT in college.

I see him as a 3 tech DE in our scheme. I agree I don't think he's big and strong enough to be a NT.

I'd been reading there was some word that he came off bad in interviews.

He played NT pretty exclusively at Iowa

He played NT pretty exclusively at Iowa

How do you have an NT in a 4-3 defense?

Edit: Nvm was reading about it. . . I didn't know they called them NT in the 4-3 I thought it was just a DT.

Either way he played in a 4-3 defense and isn't big enough to play the position in the 3-4.  However he could very easily be a 3-4 DE.

At 320lbs ....... why would this guy be "too small" and not be a candidate for NT?

NFL.com says

"Powerful player. Grows roots against double teams"

Sounds like what we want for NT

Also, watch the tape on the guy.... he could easily put on 10-20 lbs. He is a "trim" 320 lbs.

To me, I would take Goldman before Davis, but I believe Goldman will be long gone

With Mathis slow injury healing though, I am starting to think we need to do the OLB spot at 1

We still need the NT though.

At 320lbs ....... why would this guy be "too small" and not be a candidate for NT?

NFL.com says

"Powerful player. Grows roots against double teams"

Sounds like what we want for NT

Also, watch the tape on the guy.... he could easily put on 10-20 lbs. He is a "trim" 320 lbs.

To me, I would take Goldman before Davis, but I believe Goldman will be long gone

With Mathis slow injury healing though, I am starting to think we need to do the OLB spot at 1

We still need the NT though.

Pagano likes his NTs at around 350 lbs.

Previous Installments:

The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

The Off-Ball LBs - Hub Post

The EDGEs - Hub Post

Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma

Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

Eddie Goldman, DT, FSU

CarlDavis663jpg-9-1418588745-663x360-res

Mock Draftable chart (note the 1st and 3rd comparable): http://mockdraftable.com/player/4865/

Games watched: vs Indiana, vs Nebraska, vs Ohio State, vs Michigan

The Good: 

Elite athletic profile. Very comparable to Leonard Williams. Athletic and strong enough to move all over the defensive line. 

Powerful explosion off of the line. Makes first contact with authority. 

High motor. Always chases down the line. Apparently he is supposed to have motor questions, but I didn't see anything in 4 games that would bring that to question. 

Strength to push back blockers.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=RadiantQualifiedAfricanharrierhawk

ex. Oh http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=DefinitiveLinearBug

Keeps eyes in the backfield and knows when to disengage from blocks.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=AccomplishedGrotesqueAnaconda

Uses speed, lateral agility, and hand usage to get in the backfield without the center even laying a finger on him:

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=CircularUnfoldedAmericancurl

Stunts to the edge here and gets a sack

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=ResponsibleFirmHalcyon

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255799&gif=JoyousDevotedAlaskajingle

Dominates 1-on-1 match-ups. 

Doesn't ever get driven back.  

Fantastic instincts. Reads the zone-read here and makes the tackle 1-on-1. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257250&gif=ThisFakeBasilisk

Also blocks kicks!

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=257250&gif=AfraidDeadBlackwidowspider [badly formatted gif] 

The Bad:

Doesn't split double-teams consistently, but he holds his ground against them. 

Isn't going to anchor as a NT in the NFL. 

Stands up-right and loses leverage a lot.

Plays mostly as a 1-tech NT. Doesn't move around often.

Had a few off-side penalties.

Conclusion:  

For some reason or another, Davis isn't getting the hype he deserves. If I watched him without knowing what the general consensus was on him by the media, I'd probably think he was a top-10 lock. His movement and pass rush ability reminds me of another player who was the cornerstone of a Chuck Pagno defense. A DT by the name of Ngata. 

NFL Comparison: Haloti Ngata, DET

Projected Round: 1st

Boy, IDK. I'm a Hawk fan so I like Carl. But my honest opinion is that Carl is not a 1st round pick. He has his moments. But he also has moments that he disappears. Not sold that he's a 1st round pick.

nfl draft scout has him as a 2nd as well.

He just don't have near the production and can disappear in games way to much to warrant a 1st round pick and much of that is not against quality competition, A case can be made for him falling to the 3rd round in my opinion. He is a quality player who could contribute early but I don't see a guy that's ready to start from day 1 if he had to. As far as D Linemen go I'd take Eddie Goldman over Davis

I still think he is a 2nd round pick

In his career, Davis has all of 3.5 sacks.     Career.

1.5 in 2013 and then 2 in 2014.

And his number of tackles aren't great either.

I appreciate that he can look great here and there....   but he's not delivering much bang for the buck.

All of that said,  I would not be surprised if he gets over-drafted and goes in the first.

Guys that big, who test as well as Davis,  some team will fall in love with him and try and coach 'em up at the NFL level.     He's still a candidate to go in the 1st.

In his career, Davis has all of 3.5 sacks. Career.

I appreciate that he can look great here and there.... but he's not delivering much bang for the buck.

All of that said, I would not be surprised if he gets over-drafted and goes in the first.

Guys that big, who test as well as Davis, some team will fall in love with him and try and coach 'em up at the NFL level. He's still a candidate to go in the 1st.

How many sacks do you reasonably expect a NT to get?

How many sacks do you reasonably expect a NT to get?

When he has the skills you claim he does -- more than that.

The guys has pass rushing skills.    He's not just a space eater and a guy who occupies two offensive lineman to free-up linebackers.

He's got play making ability, but doesn't seem to make many plays.

Hey, I said in my post I think he's a candidate for the first round.   But that's based on projection and not on production.

The guys has pass rushing skills. He's not just a space eater and a guy who occupies two offensive lineman to free-up linebackers.

Hey, I said in my post I think he's a candidate for the first round. But that's based on projection and not on production.

He makes plays all the time. Disruption is production.

He just don't have near the production and can disappear in games way to much to warrant a 1st round pick and much of that is not against quality competition, A case can be made for him falling to the 3rd round in my opinion. He is a quality player who could contribute early but I don't see a guy that's ready to start from day 1 if he had to. As far as D Linemen go I'd take Eddie Goldman over Davis

No way this guy falls to 3 IMO.

I'd reach for him at 29 great athlete wins his match-ups and can be great against the run and has some pass rushing ability

he'd be perfect for our defense

Wouldn't be a reach. That's area he is expected to go

The guys has pass rushing skills. He's not just a space eater and a guy who occupies two offensive lineman to free-up linebackers.

Hey, I said in my post I think he's a candidate for the first round. But that's based on projection and not on production.

Getting sacks on the QB, or even tackles, can be the product of the guys around him not being very good. If he's the only guy getting to the QB it can be very hard for someone of his size to chase down and get sacks.

And disruption is production in and of itself, especially for a NT.

Getting sacks on the QB, or even tackles, can be the product of the guys around him not being very good. If he's the only guy getting to the QB it can be very hard for someone of his size to chase down and get sacks.

"Getting sacks on the QB, or even tackles, can be the product of the guys around him not being very good"

By that logic Dwight Freeney has 111.5 sacks in his career because he did not have talent next to him....we know that's not true

"If he's the only guy getting to the QB it can be very hard for someone of his size to chase down and get sacks."

Are you saying he could wear down easy? Cause otherwise I have no idea what this means....Drew Ott had 8 sacks, 12 tackles for loss for the Hawkeyes last year

In his career, Davis has all of 3.5 sacks.     Career.

I appreciate that he can look great here and there....   but he's not delivering much bang for the buck.

All of that said,  I would not be surprised if he gets over-drafted and goes in the first.

Guys that big, who test as well as Davis,  some team will fall in love with him and try and coach 'em up at the NFL level.     He's still a candidate to go in the 1st.

I usally agree with you..... but disagree on this one

Vince Wilfork had ZERO sacks in 2014 and ZERO sacks in 2013

Ngota had TWO sacks in 2014 and ONE and a HALF Sack in 2013

Number of Sacks doesnt make a NT

"Getting sacks on the QB, or even tackles, can be the product of the guys around him not being very good"

By that logic Dwight Freeney has 111.5 sacks in his career because he did not have talent next to him....we know that's not true

"If he's the only guy getting to the QB it can be very hard for someone of his size to chase down and get sacks."

Are you saying he could wear down easy? Cause otherwise I have no idea what this means....Drew Ott had 8 sacks, 12 tackles for loss for the Hawkeyes last year

Dwight Freeney doesn't play a position where you routinely only get 2-3 sacks a season. 

I understand, and agree.

I'm only saying here what I'm reading on ESPN,  NFL.com and CBS Sports.com

Not enough production,  hot and cold motor,  gives up to easily,   should produce more.

He's got great talent and skill, but should be able to do more with it.

I'm not saying he won't go in the first round.   Heck, he may even go to the Colts.   I'm just saying he's got things to work on at the next level.

Archived