Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where Will Peyton Be Next Year?

BmoreColt

i rather take a sure pick then hoping the browns have a sucky year. pats did the same thing with the raiders thinking they would get a top 5 pick and ended up picking 17th

There is no guarantee that Luck is a sure pick and is going to be anything beyond a good NFL QB! And with the Colts pick next year and the acquired pick from the Browns, they could trade up if they wanted to the following year! Or use the first round pick this year on Barkley or Griffin if they declare! One will surely be available at pick 4-6, and there would be interest from a team like say the Redskins or Seattle, even Miami who would want one of these guys, and the Colts could trade back with them, get their first round pick, their second, and their first the following year, giving the Colts 3 first round picks next year!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Colts can keep Manning and Luck but it wouldn't make a lot of sense seeing as some of the bigger name players are going to be F/As next year. Reggie, and Mathis most importantly. Then you have players like Garcon, and Gonzo(whom if the Colts let go wouldn't affect them IMO).

So you can have Manning and Luck but it makes it more difficult to retain other players unless someone like Freeney restructures his contract along with possibly cutting Brackett. Tying up that much money in the QB spot doesn't make sense to me financially. I'm no GM I know but everyone is talking about how if Manning goes down we need Luck as insurance. What about if someone else goes down? If Wayne or Mathis are gone, what kind of depth is there going to be at WR/DE? Gonzo and Garcon are also F/As. If Mathis is gone, who will replace Mathis? And what if his replacement is injured? What if someone in the secondary gets injured? The draft helps but we don't know for sure if that backup is going to come in and produce like Powers did in his rookie year or end up like Hughes. Having both Manning and Luck handicaps the Colts. I'm not in favor for one over the other at this point but having both just doesn't make sense to me.

so by your logic you want the team to be good for 4 years instead of 12-15

Why is it one or the other? Wouldn't the picks acquired set up a roster that bodes well for any future, developmental QB? There will always be a dropoff after a HOF player retires. Luck wouldn't ensure we continue success for 12-15 years, especially since it would handicap our ability to round out the roster with impact players.

The Colts can keep Manning and Luck but it wouldn't make a lot of sense seeing as some of the bigger name players are going to be F/As next year. Reggie, and Mathis most importantly. Then you have players like Garcon, and Gonzo(whom if the Colts let go wouldn't affect them IMO).

So you can have Manning and Luck but it makes it more difficult to retain other players unless someone like Freeney restructures his contract along with possibly cutting Brackett. Tying up that much money in the QB spot doesn't make sense to me financially. I'm no GM I know but everyone is talking about how if Manning goes down we need Luck as insurance. What about if someone else goes down? If Wayne or Mathis are gone, what kind of depth is there going to be at WR/DE? Gonzo and Garcon are also F/As. If Mathis is gone, who will replace Mathis? And what if his replacement is injured? What if someone in the secondary gets injured? The draft helps but we don't know for sure if that backup is going to come in and produce like Powers did in his rookie year or end up like Hughes. Having both Manning and Luck handicaps the Colts. I'm not in favor for one over the other at this point but having both just doesn't make sense to me.

You're right, having both does cripple us... IF Manning fully heals, or even if he just heals to the point he has been for last 3 years, and we keep him, IF he plays out his full contract... History shows there will be VERY little "learning" as people hope for with Luck not getting reps. Manning does demand all the reps. He's the starter he should. Having both fills a LOT of cap space, and is useless pick for next 4 years, Hoping for Manning/Luck completely ignores the rest of the team's holes... Haven't we learned that lesson yet??? Trading Manning (which with the 38 million cap hit is that even possible?) may get us a couple extra picks in later rounds MAYBE... Trading 1st pick... we get 5 more picks (3 of those being first round picks).... That sounds to me like filling the other holes in the entire team...

Why is it one or the other? Wouldn't the picks acquired set up a roster that bodes well for any future, developmental QB? There will always be a dropoff after a HOF player retires. Luck wouldn't ensure we continue success for 12-15 years, especially since it would handicap our ability to round out the roster with impact players.

+1

You nailed it... and I like this magic ball people have that automatically has Luck as a HOF before he even takes one NFL snap... Reminds me of how the Eagles was suppose to be handed the superbowl this year before even one preseason game started

You're right, having both does cripple us... IF Manning fully heals, or even if he just heals to the point he has been for last 3 years, and we keep him, IF he plays out his full contract... History shows there will be VERY little "learning" as people hope for with Luck not getting reps. Manning does demand all the reps. He's the starter he should. Having both fills a LOT of cap space, and is useless pick for next 4 years, Hoping for Manning/Luck completely ignores the rest of the team's holes... Haven't we learned that lesson yet??? Trading Manning (which with the 38 million cap hit is that even possible?) may get us a couple extra picks in later rounds MAYBE... Trading 1st pick... we get 5 more picks (3 of those being first round picks).... That sounds to me like filling the other holes in the entire team...

Thats where I stand too!

If we play like that against Jacksonville we will get the 3rd pick in the draft most likely.

You know whats ironic... I did not want the Colts to take Luck, I want Manning to win SB's! And knew taking Luck would waste the gift of the first overall pick and hurt the Colts... but I also wanted them to trade the number one pick for a large bounty... now if they play hard again and win, which I want.. maybe a team like Washington or Miami will trade up for Griffin, since it will probably be just Griffin and Luck with early first round value!