Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Polian Not High On Trading A Top Pick

http://espn.go.com/b...ding-a-top-pick

Polian:“I can’t imagine that there are players that we could afford under the salary cap that would come in and help our team, veteran players that would be available in such a trade. And if you traded it for picks, which you probably would be wise to do, those picks would be very high picks, the highest picks perhaps, in a lot of future years, which means that they wouldn’t be on the team in the short run.

“Somehow or other, that theory, people have asked me about that, but it doesn’t hold water with me. I don’t know what you get out of it. If you’re assuming that you trade one of the top three picks in the draft for a bunch of second- and third-rounders in that same draft, I don’t buy that one at all.”

Sounds like to me if we still land that top pick we are going to more than likely keep it and take Luck. Just sayin'

1. No one is suggesting he trades the pick for proven vets (most teams wouldn't anyway).

2. The picks wouldn't help in the short term? Neither would Luck, as he wont be playing for years, so your point is irrelevant, Mr. Polian.

3. No one is suggesting grabbing a bunch of low picks. I believe most people are looking for a combination of additional 1st and 2nd round picks, as well as an inexpensive player or two.

As an aside, I love how the Luckies hate everything Polian says, and discredit it at every turn, but when he sounds set on keeping the first pick, suddenly he's intelligent and knows what he's doing.

1. No one is suggesting he trades the pick for proven vets (most teams wouldn't anyway).

I agree no one is saying that, but it is an option when you weigh out the potential "rewards" for trading it.

2. The picks wouldn't help in the short term? Neither would Luck, as he wont be playing for years, so your point is irrelevant, Mr. Polian.

More or less 2-3 seasons IF Peyton even comes back from this injury. What he is implying is that if we get someones 2013/2014's 1st rounder, that player wouldn't have an impact till atleast a season or two AFTER he's drafted. Meanwhile it is to be the current expectation that Luck would be playing by the 2013/2014 season. Also he stated that the future picks wouldn't BE on the IMMEDIATE team. Luck would be on the immediate team. His impact however would still need to be determined per say Manning's health.

3. No one is suggesting grabbing a bunch of low picks. I believe most people are looking for a combination of additional 1st and 2nd round picks, as well as an inexpensive player or two.

Which would actually end up costing more money in which Polian stated, we don't have the cap room for. We do however have enough room to pick up Luck as we signed Kerry Collins for around the same type of money this year and was still able to carry Peyton on the roster.

As an aside, I love how the Luckies hate everything Polian says, and discredit it at every turn, but when he sounds set on keeping the first pick, suddenly he's intelligent and knows what he's doing.

Where are you getting this notion from?

Doogan.... the key take away in those comments, IMO, are his statement on the affordability of building the roster whether we trade the pick or not.

We know for a fact that Peyton will cost $17 million against the cap next year if we pay the option and retain him. Polian seems to be implying that a price tag that high would impede the team from getting him the necessary help.... even with a trade of the 1st pick.

It's hard to argue with what he said.... and if Peyton's health is still uncertain in February its just a cold reality that his contract will have to be redone to be cap-friendly enough to get him some more help even if the #1 pick is traded.

Otherwise... it may just have to be that Peyton is released and we take a $10 mil cap hit next year, draft Andrew Luck and move on.

But IMO.... that statement was more about our salary cap at this moment than trading or not trading the #1 pick.

Doogan.... the key take away in those comments, IMO, are his statement on the affordability of building the roster whether we trade the pick or not.

We know for a fact that Peyton will cost $17 million against the cap next year if we pay the option and retain him. Polian seems to be implying that a price tag that high would impede the team from getting him the necessary help.... even with a trade of the 1st pick.

It's hard to argue with what he said.... and if Peyton's health is still uncertain in February its just a cold reality that his contract will have to be redone to be cap-friendly enough to get him some more help even if the #1 pick is traded.

Otherwise... it may just have to be that Peyton is released and we take a $10 mil cap hit next year, draft Andrew Luck and move on.

But IMO.... that statement was more about our salary cap at this moment than trading or not trading the #1 pick.

I don't disagree, but I am simply heading off the conclusions people are likely to draw. Especially those in the extreme of one camp or the other. Most people around here don't take Polian's word to mean anything, or hold any water, but they accept it as canon the moment the 1st pick of the Draft is considered.

I feel as though the interview was rather vague, if sometimes self-defeating. Let us also not forget that Chris, not Bill, now calls the shots.

As to the time table for impact: Luck won't be affecting the team until Peyton's done. The most logical assumption, based on medical fact, his progress, and the length of his contract, is that Peyton will play it out. If so, any picks acquired via trade in this draft, and the next 2 or 3 would make an impact immediately. Especially considering how many holes we have, and how many there are about to be with the number of contract signings due these next two off-seasons. Luck contributes nothing to us during that stretch, and not for several years thereafter.

While polian may be speaking the truth I hope you guys realize that he really HAS to say that.

Over the next few months we have to make everyone believe that we want luck really bad (whether we do or not is another story), because if we make it seem like we dont really want him or WANT to trade down then we lose leverage and get less value.

If polian flat out says yea we dont want the 1st overall pick then the team we try to trade with has more leverage than us.

Again, not saying that we dont keep the first pick. Just saying polian has to make it seem like we are keeping.

While polian may be speaking the truth I hope you guys realize that he really HAS to say that.

Over the next few months we have to make everyone believe that we want luck really bad (whether we do or not is another story), because if we make it seem like we dont really want him or WANT to trade down then we lose leverage and get less value.

If polian flat out says yea we dont want the 1st overall pick then the team we try to trade with has more leverage than us.

Again, not saying that we dont keep the first pick. Just saying polian has to make it seem like we are keeping.

That is true if only one other team wants the pick. If more than one team wants the pick, we still have leverage through demand.

That is true if only one other team wants the pick. If more than one team wants the pick, we still have leverage through demand.

True. But if that isnt the case, you might as well build a long history of saying that you dont really want to trade it. Then at some point closer to draft time they can say "we really like what the number 1 pick has to offer, but we want to keep as many doors open as possible." or something like that obviously.

anyway i think we are both in agreement.

I don't disagree, but I am simply heading off the conclusions people are likely to draw. Especially those in the extreme of one camp or the other. Most people around here don't take Polian's word to mean anything, or hold any water, but they accept it as canon the moment the 1st pick of the Draft is considered.

I feel as though the interview was rather vague, if sometimes self-defeating. Let us also not forget that Chris, not Bill, now calls the shots.

As to the time table for impact: Luck won't be affecting the team until Peyton's done. The most logical assumption, based on medical fact, his progress, and the length of his contract, is that Peyton will play it out. If so, any picks acquired via trade in this draft, and the next 2 or 3 would make an impact immediately. Especially considering how many holes we have, and how many there are about to be with the number of contract signings due these next two off-seasons. Luck contributes nothing to us during that stretch, and not for several years thereafter.

Yeah....Bill is pretty good at being vague and often times its by design, and the smart thing to do.

The ideal circumstance.... setting Luck aside.... is for Peyton to be fully rehabbed and renegotiate the contract again, allowing the team to maximize their ability to fortify the Colts roster.....which after this disaster of a season, Peyton himself CAN'T feel all that great about.

We'll need cap space in any possible outcome.... hopefully the situation works itself out.

Wouldnt be able to afford them? Thats the most ridiculous statement ever. First off, even if we couldnt afford to sign them all when their rookie contract is up, that would only mean they are talented players, which is obviously a good thing. Second by the time their contracts are up manning will be retiring around the same time, thus opening up a large amount of cap to resign these players. Third there are players on this team with expensive contracts that could be released to create any cap for this year. And finally since when is having to many talented players a bad thing? I always thought that, that was the whole point.

Wouldnt be able to afford them? Thats the most ridiculous statement ever. First off, even if we couldnt afford to sign them all when their rookie contract is up, that would only mean they are talented players, which is obviously a good thing. Second by the time their contracts are up manning will be retiring around the same time, thus opening up a large amount of cap to resign these players. Third there are players on this team with expensive contracts that could be released to create any cap for this year. And finally since when is having to many talented players a bad thing? I always thought that, that was the whole point.

It IS the point, unless you're Bill Polian...in that case, you prefer Jacob Lacey and Jeff Linkenbach as your starters...lol