Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you pull a Julio Jones-type trade for Leonard Williams

Yeh, it truly is the offseason. I'm not saying I want this to happen, but it is fun to speculate. I do think Leonard Williams is the best player in this draft. I even think he could be the best prospect of the past 3 years.

Would we be able to get the pick from JAX or TEN? Is it possible he drops down as far as 4? Are there any other prospects who are worth it? Like I said, it's fun to speculate. No ridicule here, just throw s*** against the wall until something sticks!

I don't see it happening.

We have so many holes and we'd have to give up a boat-load of picks to move up that far.   

29 to roughly 4?   

The Falcons mistakenly thought they were closer to the Super Bowl than they were.   Not that they regret the trade, Jones is terrific (when he's healthy)....  

But trading up that far in the first round is HUGELY expensive.    I don't see Grigson or Irsay wanting to do that.

And, as much as I love Leonard Williams,  I don't love him THAT much....

I was actually thinking about this the other day... If Leonard Williams falls past 2 There are some people who see him falling all the way to 7.. If that is the case I would honestly be all for it. I can see why they think he could start to slide

If TEN goes with Mariota, JAX doesn't need DT (Odrick, Marks), OAK really needs WR more than anything, WAS signed 3 good DL in FA, NYJ have the best 3-4 DL in football.

To move up from 29-7 it would most likely cost us 29, 61, next years 1st, 3rd and maybe more if there is competition... the example I used was the Julio Jones trade (26-6 I believe)

Yeh, it truly is the offseason. I'm not saying I want this to happen, but it is fun to speculate. I do think Leonard Williams is the best player in this draft. I even think he could be the best prospect of the past 3 years.

Would we be able to get the pick from JAX or TEN? Is it possible he drops down as far as 4? Are there any other prospects who are worth it? Like I said, it's fun to speculate. No ridicule here, just throw s*** against the wall until something sticks!

Honestly, I'd rather have Shelton over Williams. I'd also prefer Dante Fowler over Williams as well. Williams will be a solid, yet unspectacular player IMO, while the other two will be stars. I don't see a special player in Leonard Williams.

Honestly, I'd rather have Shelton over Williams. I'd also prefer Dante Fowler over Williams as well. Williams will be a solid, yet unspectacular player IMO, while the other two will be stars. I don't see a special player in Leonard Williams.

Would you trade up for any of them? What would you give up? See, this is the fun!

Would you trade up for any of them? What would you give up? See, this is the fun!

I would be willing to trade next year's first and this year's first for Danny Shelton and I would go so far as trading this year's first and 2nd and next year's first for Dante Fowler. I see a guy who could possibly be close to what J.J. Watt is in Fowler. He in most likelyhood won't be as good, but even 80% of Watt and his skills would be a massive improvement for us.

Next years first sounds good today, but........ What if we had an injury to luck and ended up with the number one pick next year........

And a JJ Watt type WAS actually there

I am all for trading 2nds and up...... But.... I believe many if not most people who traded the first wish they wouldn't have done it later

I think of the trades we did where we gave up our first........ Jeff George .... Fredd Young (2 firsts)...... The Tackle ( cant remember)....... Eric Dickerson trade

All of these trades were bad

Giving away a future first is risky

It's fun to kick these ideas around but IMO....no, there aren't any prospects worth the extremely high price we'd have to pay to move up that far.

Considering the cost of making a move like that.....and assuming that Williams or the top edge rushers would be the only prospects arguably worth the move, I'd rather we just submit an offer sheet to Justin Houston and give up two 1st rounders.

And if we were to make the move on Draft Day...the two 1st round picks surrendered could be from the 2016 and 2017 drafts. So we could conceivably acquire a proven 26-year old OLB in Houston and still retain our 2015 1st rounder. Either way....at least we'd know we're getting a beast pass-rusher in his prime.

The Trent Cole signing all but eliminates any idea of us pursuing Houston....but if I had to make a choice between the draft pick compensation for him versus a similar high price for a prospect....I'd prefer Houston.

It's fun to kick these ideas around but IMO....no, there aren't any prospects worth the extremely high price we'd have to pay to move up that far.

Considering the cost of making a move like that.....and assuming that Williams or the top edge rushers would be the only prospects arguably worth the move, I'd rather we just submit an offer sheet to Justin Houston and give up two 1st rounders.

And if we were to make the move on Draft Day...the two 1st round picks surrendered could be from the 2016 and 2017 drafts. So we could conceivably acquire a proven 26-year old OLB in Houston and still retain our 2015 1st rounder. Either way....at least we'd know we're getting a beast pass-rusher in his prime.

The Trent Cole signing all but eliminates any idea of us pursuing Houston....but if I had to make a choice between the draft pick compensation for him versus a similar high price for a prospect....I'd prefer Houston.

This gut gets it!

Next years first sounds good today, but........ What if we had an injury to luck and ended up with the number one pick next year........

I am all for trading 2nds and up...... But.... I believe many if not most people who traded the first wish they wouldn't have done it later

I think of the trades we did where we gave up our first........ Jeff George .... Fredd Young (2 firsts)...... The Tackle ( cant remember)....... Eric Dickerson trade

That's a risk that's always out there. The Redskins got burned when they traded 3 1sts and a 2nd and one of their firsts was the 6th pick overall and another was the 2nd, they could of got a solid team. Now they are struggling with a bad qb and nothing to show for it. I believe Dante Fowler is the best player in the draft and it's not close. He also fills a major position of need. We won't get him, I'm sure of it, but that would be the Julio Jones type of risk I would be willing to do. Of course if we had the 1st overall pick next year and lost it, that would be a nightmare.

I haven't checked if there are any Watt type players yet for next year's draft, and there is a whole year of college ball before we have to worry about that. If we couldn't get Dante, I think the better thing to do is to trade down and get a mid 2nd and 3rd so we have two 2nds and two 3rds. Grigson could probably hit on three of those picks if his track record in those rounds stays true.

Wasnt it Trev Alberts

Nope. I don't see Williams as a sure thing. I absolutely would NOT trade any 2016 draft picks! Next year's draft is shaping up to be a stellar draft. Lots of great offensive linemen, and some intriguing skill position players. 

I am interested in packaging some of our picks this year to move up. I am really underwhelmed with some of the talent in this year's draft. 

I would package our first four picks to move up for Amari Cooper. I honestly feel he is as close to a can't miss prospect that can come out of college. He is Reggie Wayne with speed. Tremendous route runner, stellar hands, outstanding speed. Great size for 6'1". I just would not trade a #1 next year to move up. I really feel Oakland will take him at #4 over White. 

I would really consider trading our #2 to move up to get either La'el Collins or Brandon Scherff. This could be a more likely scenario. Both could ultimately move out to right tackle. Both would represent a HUGE upgrade at RG and ultimately boost the level of play of our offensive line, particularly the run game. 

I am not high on the safety prospects in this year's draft. Right now, I feel our best best is to draft Josh Shaw and convert him to safety. He has the speed and ball skills, while also possessing the size to be a factor in run support.