Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nate Irving Signed ....just now!

BrentMc11

Via Colts App.

Jermaine+Kearse+Super+Bowl+XLVIII+Seattl

My thoughts:  Obviously he needs to be healthy before he goes full out.  He will be a special teams monster and can help in coverage on passing downs.  I like the signing.  Nice depth is back at Linebacker.

Brother hes already healthy and ready to go. :thmup:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're all talking about his coverage but Broncos fans are saying he's a run stopper who isn't great in coverage?

That is also what I read about him.  He is well regarded as a run stopper.  His coverage skills aren't his calling card. I like the signing though.  He can help us if healthy.

So, like I have been saying, they pick based on need in the early rounds, not BPA.

Would you want them to use a first round pick on a qb? Or TE?

Like I said...they're drafting by the best players available that they chose to include on their big board. Pretty much what every team does.

Ok so just curious several people have said in this forum he is great in coverage my question is according to the sports media he is good at stopping the run and has issues in coverage. So do they just not know what they are talking about? I can't seem to find any highlights on him so thought I'd ask your opinions.

Would you want them to use a first round pick on a qb? Or TE?

Like I said...they're drafting by the best players available that they chose to include on their big board. Pretty much what every team does.

I'm not saying anything close to that.  What I am saying is the people who like to believe that they pick BPA, regardless of position, are foolish.

I'm not saying anything close to that.  What I am saying is the people who like to believe that they pick BPA, regardless of position, are foolish.

Solid signing. Seems like he can fight through traffic and find the ball pretty well. Good job, Grigs!

A LB who can shed? Raise your haaaaaaaands to the air!

I agree and concur.

What makes you think that?

There is an adage used here that states, "comment on the post...not the poster". Saying someone has posted a foolish comment, is far different from saying someone is foolish.

As far as my belief that teams go BPA, is a reflection of how many times fans have screamed for a certain position, as that is our weakest position, only to have the front office take a different position. Go back and read what went down on here when we picked Fleener.....and then picked up Allen. In truth.....if a position in close in terms of ability and talent, and we have a severe need at that position...I'll agree that they go for a position. That is the vast exception to me...not the rule.

As far as my belief that teams go BPA, is a reflection of how many times fans have screamed for a certain position, as that is our weakest position, only to have the front office take a different position. Go back and read what went down on here when we picked Fleener.....and then picked up Allen. In truth.....if a position in close in terms of ability and talent, and we have a severe need at that position...I'll agree that they go for a position. That is the vast exception to me...not the rule.

Reaching for weak positions is definately a mistake, but drafting players you don't need who will never play for you is even worse.  Best player available REGARDLESS of position makes no sense whatsoever.  You pick the best player you can actually use.   Jason_S and wig are spot on.  You pick the best player on your board.  A QB would never play a down behind Luck.  A TE wouldn't make much sense either.  When Adrian Peterson was in his prime, why on earth would the Vikings use a high pick on a running back?  I think when people say BPA, it is implied that it means best player on your board. 

I think when people say BPA, it is implied that it means best player on your board. 

Of course it it. BPA is certainly not BPA according to pundits....its BPA according to your board. I felt like the argument is that GMs might pick for need rather than their board...and I disagree other than the exception I posted in my last post. 

Reaching for weak positions is definately a mistake, but drafting players you don't need who will never play for you is even worse.  Best player available REGARDLESS of position makes no sense whatsoever.  You pick the best player you can actually use.   Jason_S and wig are spot on.  You pick the best player on your board.  A QB would never play a down behind Luck.  A TE wouldn't make much sense either.  When Adrian Peterson was in his prime, why on earth would the Vikings use a high pick on a running back?  I think when people say BPA, it is implied that it means best player on your board. 

I hope you knocked on wood after that comment. lol. as much as luck has been hit, its a miracle he hasn't been hurt yet. but it's football so i would not say "never". but let's hope it is never .

Inconclusive. Different sites say different things.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1117345/nate-irving

well that is the second site i found that says ACL tear. But I guess really only him and the DR can say what it really was. but i thought it was mandatory that teams had to disclose injuries. and if everyone is saying different things, that means the broncos are/were hiding it. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1117345/nate-irving

well that is the second site i found that says ACL tear. But I guess really only him and the DR can say what it really was. but i thought it was mandatory that teams had to disclose injuries. and if everyone is saying different things, that means the broncos are/were hiding it.

The injury report only ever says the area of the injury i.e. knee, ankle. There was nothing from official sources and I have literally scoured the internet and you see MCL tear, ACL tear, MCL sprain, "knee" etc etc.

All initial reports suggested MCL pre-MRI. Could be ACL, of course.

Vikings drafted Toby Gerhart with there 2nd round pick 3 years later in 2010 after they drafted AP in 2007, you draft with need in mind of course but Grigson himself said need is a terrible evaluator of talent......We also didn't bring in Gore (rb need)....Herremans(RG need)....Cole(pass rusher need) just because they are good/great players....We brought them in because they were good players that filled a need AND so as not to feel like we have to reach for a player a little lower on our board out of need.....

So if we have lets say a WR with a higher grade then pass rusher/guard/rb then we can go WR...Though obviously there is a couple positions such as QB/TE that we don't need to look at high....Overall every GM's board will be a bit different of course...

BPA is in the eye of the beholder though....But your not going to reach for a player you have a lower grade on just because of need...especially when you can fill needs in FA

Example: We have a Safety need currently.....we can draft one at 29.....But what if an elite pass rush talent somehow (not likely to happen) found his way to 29 (such as Vic Beasley.....There is no way your going to pass him up for that Safety need, Your going to draft him and design ways to get him on the field because that speed will be pure hell for O Linemen to stop....especially with Mathis and Cole to block to

His first draft was not BPA.

That is your opinion. I don't happen to share that. Luck was a no brainer. Fleener went where most thought he would. Allen was no doubt the BPA. Hilton was a no brainer in trading up. Chapman at the time was BPL and also a need. Ballard was BPA. The last 4 really was a toss up for anyone. You may not think that way be it is what someone thinks and not everyone thinks the same.

That is your opinion. I don't happen to share that. Luck was a no brainer. Fleener went where most thought he would. Allen was no doubt the BPA. Hilton was a no brainer in trading up. Chapman at the time was BPL and also a need. Ballard was BPA. The last 4 really was a toss up for anyone. You may not think that way be it is what someone thinks and not everyone thinks the same.

Allen was necessary to run two TE sets, which the offense called for. Chapman was an NT needed after changing schemes. If you look at needs and drafted players, the staff either drafts on need or they're the luckiest people in the world. They got Luck, of course, and then put people around him to help him be successful.

Allen was necessary to run two TE sets, which the offense called for. Chapman was an NT needed after changing schemes. If you look at needs and drafted players, the staff either drafts on need or they're the luckiest people in the world. They got Luck, of course, and then put people around him to help him be successful.

There were a couple teams draft boards that had Allen ahead of Fleener. Like I said, it's all someone's opinion. Hind sight is 20-20 for all.