Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner - 20 lbs = Shane Ray.

Werner was better in college in a 4/3 base. Seems to be having a slow transitions to our 3/4 base. Was a risk - reward pick. May be time to put Werner on the trade block pick up future draft pick. Obviously we will need to replace our OLBs with younger talent before long or continue with older proven players. Just do not see Shane Ray being our long term answer. We do need need to replace Adam Vinatieri and need immediate safety help. Next year a top kicker will be available from FSU that is projected day 2 pick would be sweet to have an additional Round 2 draft selection next year.

I don't see this bad agility your talking about in Ray, I see a player that overpursuits some and his feet slip out from under him but that's not because of bad agility on his part. A little hip tightness however I don't think much, He has to add strength is the biggest thing to me

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254069&gif=VibrantAllCornsnake"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Werner was better in college in a 4/3 base. Seems to be having a slow transitions to our 3/4 base. Was a risk - reward pick. May be time to put Werner on the trade block pick up future draft pick. Obviously we will need to replace our OLBs with younger talent before long or continue with older proven players. Just do not see Shane Ray being our long term answer. We do need need to replace Adam Vinatieri and need immediate safety help. Next year a top kicker will be available from FSU that is projected day 2 pick would be sweet to have an additional Round 2 draft selection next year.

The first couple sentences are myths that continually get repeated no matter the countless times they are rebuffed.

Your wrong, Werner was a complete beast in college. He was also 275-280 in college with power to spare. He played against several #1 pick OT's and beat them all, there's a reason why he was thought of so well. The guy needs time to convert, but he might turn out good.

I'm not sure Ray is a linebacker.    Not sure he can go backwards and side to side well enough.

That said,  as a DE,  he can go forward and convert speed to power exceptionally well.

I'm just not sure he can continue to do that at the NFL level at just 250 pounds.    He does not look like a guy who can pack on more weight.    He is who he is.....

I'm not sure Ray is a linebacker.    Not sure he can go backwards and side to side well enough.

That said,  as a DE,  he can go forward and convert speed to power exceptionally well.

I'm just not sure he can continue to do that at the NFL level at just 250 pounds.    He does not look like a guy who can pack on more weight.    He is who he is.....

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253816&gif=PhonyFancyGermanspitz"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Watch how smoothly he starts to rush upfield yet suddenly stops and shuffles his feet and moves left to right smoothly as well...That tells me all I need to know about his ability to move in space....That's a check on that box to me

I know we have needs on defense but if it comeʻs to it do we address it or take the BEST possible player available at that pick, I mean look at Werner heʻs not worthy of that pick yet....but I also remember Hughes and how he looked like a bust and we traded him and now heʻs a stud, if it was up to you what would you take THE NEEDS or BEST PLAYER available?

<iframe width="675" height="550" src="http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=253816&gif=PhonyFancyGermanspitz"frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Watch how smoothly he starts to rush upfield yet suddenly stops and shuffles his feet and moves left to right smoothly as well...That tells me all I need to know about his ability to move in space....That's a check on that box to me

Surely you can't be serious.

It's one thing to do it forward, as a defensive end would,   it's another to do it backwards as a linebacker would have to.

Two different things. 

That's my concern.

It's one thing to do it forward, as a defensive end would,   it's another to do it backwards as a linebacker would have to.

Two different things. 

That's my concern.

Did you watch him jump back? Its apparent he can to me

Tony Siragusa, presently, could be that smooth. I'm not saying this Ray guy is good or bad but that play says nothing.