Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Bottom Line..... Am I Missing Something?

WoolMagnet

Most people seem to discuss the Peyton OR Luck issue. There is discussion of both being on the team together, but most look at it from an "or" angle.

For argument's sake, lets say that we were 6 - 8 and were looking at a mid-round pick with Manning's current status. Luck and possibly the #2 ranked QB were not in the picture unless we moved up. What would the strategy be for QB? A Vet QB? Who? Kerry Collins? We'll pay some $$ for someone who is quality and can give us a chance if Manning doesn't come back. Who would be available? With the rookie cap, Luck might be cheaper at #1. Or we trade the #1 (maybe) for a couple mid or late-rd 1sts and a couple other later picks. I don't see the value on the field that we'd get from a good QB. Especially on this team which seems to revolve around the QB position.

At this point, the Colts CAN'T count on manning making a comeback, it would be foolish. However, I feel its in the Colts best interest in several ways to give him every possible chance to make that comeback. If I'm not mistaken, manning just signed a 5 yr contract with this yr being one. That leaves 4 yrs on the original "plan" of a contract. IF Manning can play next year, realistically how many years will he play? I don't see another 4+ years. My expectation would be 2 or 3 years. He should be "protected" too. If the team was in control of the game, bring in the backup.

This brings me to what I feel is the heart of the issue:

We're gonna need a QB SOON ! No matter how this turns out with manning. We might need that QB next year. Or best-case scenario , I feel in 3 or 4 years.

If we have the chance to get Luck and don't take him, it could be another 25 years before the team is in position to get a "prospect" like this. Even thru free agency.

It just isn't easy to get a good QB. EVERYTHING I've heard of the guy is good. better than I can remember ever hearing about another QB coming out. Probably back to Elway.

The team could set itself up for a good chance at another decade of winning seasons. He's so similar to manning. I also like him as a backup over panter, Orlovsky, Collins...even as a rookie. He learns from manning, a VERY good thing. If manning isn't ready next season, go with the kid and hope Peyton is ready for hopeful playoffs. If Peyton isn't ready next season, he's prob done. If Manning would structure a 1 yr incentive laided deal that "renews" to bigger (maybe 3 yr) deal if he meets criteris for playing(healthy), it would give Peyton the environment to heal.

I guess I feel the bottom line is we will need a new QB soon regardless. I just don't think a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc round QB prospect will get you what you'll get with this guy. And my gut tells me he won't be on the bench for 2 or 3 years. I think we'll need him sooner. But if he is, we shouldn't skip a beat when peyton retires.

I dont know why people are in the mind set that we have to pick one. I say draft Luck, keep Manning if healthy, have him learn for a couple years, then turn him loose after Manning retires.

I know, it sounds obvious to me.

CB or DT or OL at top of 2nd (like a 1st for us)

CB or DT or OL at top of 3nd (like a 2nd for us)

CB or DT or OL at top of 4nd (like a 3rd for us)

Maybe WR or safety if the right guy is available at the right spot.

I liked last years draft. If we can do a similar job, picking about 30 spots higher in each round, it should be a good draft.

We could have an interesting team next year.

Most people seem to discuss the Peyton OR Luck issue. There is discussion of both being on the team together, but most look at it from an "or" angle. For argument's sake, lets say that we were 6 - 8 and were looking at a mid-round pick with Manning's current status. Luck and possibly the #2 ranked QB were not in the picture unless we moved up. What would the strategy be for QB? A Vet QB? Who? Kerry Collins? We'll pay some $$ for someone who is quality and can give us a chance if Manning doesn't come back. Who would be available? With the rookie cap, Luck might be cheaper at #1. Or we trade the #1 (maybe) for a couple mid or late-rd 1sts and a couple other later picks. I don't see the value on the field that we'd get from a good QB. Especially on this team which seems to revolve around the QB position. At this point, the Colts CAN'T count on manning making a comeback, it would be foolish. However, I feel its in the Colts best interest in several ways to give him every possible chance to make that comeback. If I'm not mistaken, manning just signed a 5 yr contract with this yr being one. That leaves 4 yrs on the original "plan" of a contract. IF Manning can play next year, realistically how many years will he play? I don't see another 4+ years. My expectation would be 2 or 3 years. He should be "protected" too. If the team was in control of the game, bring in the backup. This brings me to what I feel is the heart of the issue: We're gonna need a QB SOON ! No matter how this turns out with manning. We might need that QB next year. Or best-case scenario , I feel in 3 or 4 years. If we have the chance to get Luck and don't take him, it could be another 25 years before the team is in position to get a "prospect" like this. Even thru free agency. It just isn't easy to get a good QB. EVERYTHING I've heard of the guy is good. better than I can remember ever hearing about another QB coming out. Probably back to Elway. The team could set itself up for a good chance at another decade of winning seasons. He's so similar to manning. I also like him as a backup over panter, Orlovsky, Collins...even as a rookie. He learns from manning, a VERY good thing. If manning isn't ready next season, go with the kid and hope Peyton is ready for hopeful playoffs. If Peyton isn't ready next season, he's prob done. If Manning would structure a 1 yr incentive laided deal that "renews" to bigger (maybe 3 yr) deal if he meets criteris for playing(healthy), it would give Peyton the environment to heal. I guess I feel the bottom line is we will need a new QB soon regardless. I just don't think a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc round QB prospect will get you what you'll get with this guy. And my gut tells me he won't be on the bench for 2 or 3 years. I think we'll need him sooner. But if he is, we shouldn't skip a beat when peyton retires.

Yep... that is definitely the key stumbling block in all of this. We're up against the clock in late February/early March when we have to figure his contract situation out by.

I know a lot of Colts fans are taking an optimistic view of his rehab....and I hope they're right.

But it ain't our money that gets committed to Peyton if he does NOT adequately heal by then.... so we can wish all we want but medical reality will dictate this, possibly even resulting in his outright release UNLESS your scenario of Peyton renegotiating the deal takes place.

I hope they work something out because after paying him what....26 million this year?.... Irsay simply cannot be expected to shell out another 17 million next year with no guarantee of Peyton's full recovery.

Maybe Peyton is open to accomodating that situation and maybe he's not.

But if he isn't way further down the road to recovery by late February and a renegotiation cannot be worked out.... then it might spell the end of the Manning era and provided we still sit at #1 overall, drafting Andrew Luck is a slam dunk.

I dont know why people are in the mind set that we have to pick one. I say draft Luck, keep Manning if healthy, have him learn for a couple years, then turn him loose after Manning retires.

I don't see why this can't work either. Seems ideal to me.

Look, the need for conjecture on this subject is mind boggling. Why is it so hard to just wait and see? Considering there are professionals that have spent their lives making decisions like this and are preparing for this with all they have, I am going to just trust that the right decision is made. But for the sake of dispelling two silly thoughts that are roaming out there. A team cannot pay PM his bonus without knowing he can play. That means that EVERYTHING hinges on PM providing the team with proof that he can play next season. Don't forget that Jim is a very loyal owner and will make every effort to compensate PM. He knows what that player has brought to this franchise and city. Regardless of what needy fans demand, Jim will take card of PM.

That said, if the team paid PM his contract and drafted Luck, the salary ramifications would drastically affect the teams ability to protect EITHER qb from harm through either lineman, or support from the skill positions. The other aspect that no one talks about, is the fact that PM demands the practice and playing time. That is not the environment that everyone thinks of when waxing eloquent about having these 2 QB's on the roster at the same time. Is it possible that we have not had a decent QB because the front office knows that PM makes it impossible to pay a serious backup? He is a once in a lifetime player! Live with his faults!

We might get a healthy PM. We might get a healing PM that needs more time to play. We might see him traded to another team. We might see him retire. We might see a QB drafted. We might see 2 drafted. But I do not see PM and a #1 pick living in harmony for the greater good of the franchise, just so fans can have their fantasy. I'll be more than happy to eat my crow when I am proved wrong. :shake:

I have an eerie feeling the Colts will probably find a way to win out & blow the #1 pick anyways then we can drop all this Luck talk. Not that's it's necessarily a bad thing, if any team can blow the lead for the #1 pick it's going to be the Colts. Then we can stop with all this Luck talk and some people, "not going to mention any names," will still get ticked when Polian drafts a QB in the first round, hahah!!!

I have an eerie feeling the Colts will probably find a way to win out & blow the #1 pick anyways then we can drop all this Luck talk. Not that's it's necessarily a bad thing, if any team can blow the lead for the #1 pick it's going to be the Colts. Then we can stop with all this Luck talk and some people, "not going to mention any names," will still get ticked when Polian drafts a QB in the first round, hahah!!!

Well if they did win out it would make for an exciting board for quite a while. :dunno: I for one always hope we get a win and let the draft fall where it may. :hide: Everything will come out in the wash so to speak. :sigh:

Look, the need for conjecture on this subject is mind boggling. Why is it so hard to just wait and see? Considering there are professionals that have spent their lives making decisions like this and are preparing for this with all they have, I am going to just trust that the right decision is made. But for the sake of dispelling two silly thoughts that are roaming out there. A team cannot pay PM his bonus without knowing he can play. That means that EVERYTHING hinges on PM providing the team with proof that he can play next season. Don't forget that Jim is a very loyal owner and will make every effort to compensate PM. He knows what that player has brought to this franchise and city. Regardless of what needy fans demand, Jim will take card of PM.

That said, if the team paid PM his contract and drafted Luck, the salary ramifications would drastically affect the teams ability to protect EITHER qb from harm through either lineman, or support from the skill positions. The other aspect that no one talks about, is the fact that PM demands the practice and playing time. That is not the environment that everyone thinks of when waxing eloquent about having these 2 QB's on the roster at the same time. Is it possible that we have not had a decent QB because the front office knows that PM makes it impossible to pay a serious backup? He is a once in a lifetime player! Live with his faults!

We might get a healthy PM. We might get a healing PM that needs more time to play. We might see him traded to another team. We might see him retire. We might see a QB drafted. We might see 2 drafted. But I do not see PM and a #1 pick living in harmony for the greater good of the franchise, just so fans can have their fantasy. I'll be more than happy to eat my crow when I am proved wrong. :shake:

I agree with you! Manning and Luck could not coexist! I do think if the Colts traded down and took more of a project QB, that could be more fiesable then the Luck scenario... But Polian recently came out and said he can not see a scenario where he trades the #1 overall pick... great...apparently there isn't cap room to pay for veteran players and the draft pick players who would come in the bounty..

I agree with you! Manning and Luck could not coexist! I do think if the Colts traded down and took more of a project QB, that could be more fiesable then the Luck scenario... But Polian recently came out and said he can not see a scenario where he trades the #1 overall pick... great...apparently there isn't cap room to pay for veteran players and the draft pick players who would come in the bounty..

Sometimes i think its as if no one has learned their lesson from this year and what happens when your qb goes down. Do we really want this to happen again? Many commentary have stated it would only help not hurt Luck. Im not going to compare this to a Favre/ rodgers scenario or a Montana/young scenario. But this type of drafting has been done in the past and worked.

We need a competitive backup and future starter now. Who knows how long Manning has. I hope and pray he comes back, but i, nor does anyone know right now.

Sometimes i think its as if no one has learned their lesson from this year and what happens when your qb goes down. Do we really want this to happen again? Many commentary have stated it would only help not hurt Luck. Im not going to compare this to a Favre/ rodgers scenario or a Montana/young scenario. But this type of drafting has been done in the past and worked.

We need a competitive backup and future starter now. Who knows how long Manning has. I hope and pray he comes back, but i, nor does anyone know right now.

What are the odds of ever getting a chance that any franchise would an opportunity to replace a legend with a potential legend. 25 years of stellar QB play, you have to take Luck and the rest will work itself out.

I would like to know when this type of drafting has happened in the past.....that being a future hall of famer still playing at a high level while a team takes a #1 pick on a QB. Please tell. BTW, if you say he isn't still playing at a high level...how do you know he won't? Next, if he isn't...likely he won't be the QB considering his age/contract/etc. PM is not going to become nurse maid for the new kid. Not happening.

I would like to know when this type of drafting has happened in the past.....that being a future hall of famer still playing at a high level while a team takes a #1 pick on a QB. Please tell. BTW, if you say he isn't still playing at a high level...how do you know he won't? Next, if he isn't...likely he won't be the QB considering his age/contract/etc. PM is not going to become nurse maid for the new kid. Not happening.

You're fried. There hasn't be an exact situation with a HOF already the starter but there has been times where top QB draft picks have sat.

-Carson Palmer #1 overall when he was drafted sat behind Jon Kitna for awhile.

-Jake Locker isn't starting right away and is currently sitting behind Hasslebeck in Tenn.

-Ben Rothlisberger sat a few games and was anticipated to sit for quite some time till Maddox got hurt and he was forced to go in.

-Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre.

-Tim Tebow (although not a high pick but was still a 1st rounder) sat behind Orton before just recently getting the nod.

"This"

You're fried. There hasn't be an exact situation with a HOF already the starter but there has been times where top QB draft picks have sat.

-Carson Palmer #1 overall when he was drafted sat behind Jon Kitna for awhile. Palmer started Year Two

-Jake Locker isn't starting right away and is currently sitting behind Hasslebeck in Tenn. He has played several times this season and was not the #1 overall pick

-Ben Rothlisberger sat a few games and was anticipated to sit for quite some time till Maddox got hurt and he was forced to go in. Your point......

-Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre. Rodgers sat for YEARS, and again was not the #1 overall pick

-Tim Tebow (although not a high pick but was still a 1st rounder) sat behind Orton before just recently getting the nod.

-Jake Locker isn't starting right away and is currently sitting behind Hasslebeck in Tenn.

-Ben Rothlisberger sat a few games and was anticipated to sit for quite some time till Maddox got hurt and he was forced to go in.

So what value would that bring having a #1 overall pick as an insurance policy on the bench for 4 years? Manning was the Iron Man until this season, if he does return, as smart as he is at avoiding hits and getting rid of the ball, what makes you think that Luck sitting for 4 years is adventageous to the Colts team?

So what value would that bring having a #1 overall pick as an insurance policy on the bench for 4 years? Manning was the Iron Man until this season, if he does return, as smart as he is at avoiding hits and getting rid of the ball, what makes you think that Luck sitting for 4 years is adventageous to the Colts team?

Whats the point? He learns from the best, learns the system and if Peyton goes down, the colts dont miss a beat.

warhorse, dont assume I think anything, period. I never have ever stated Manning isnt playing at a high level, so dont put words in my mouth.

From some of these responses, its obvious no one has learned their lesson. What happens when you dont have a competitive backup? This year is what happens. You are welcome to your opinion, but dont force it onto someone else by making assumptions some posters are lacking because we dont agree.

Agreed... Let's just say Manning comes back 100%.... Let's also say he plays out his contract... Like lots of people have said Manning takes all game, and practice reps.... So if we got Luck he is sit for 4 years... First off we just wasted a year draft... I hear all these people saying "they think about the team" when wanting to justify Luck... well we just hurt the team for 4 years cause we get no use of a first round draft pick. Also I am pretty sure sitting on a bench for 4 years would get any player "rusty".... so we are talking at best a half year, if not a full year for Lucky to get "un-rusty"... Now we have wasted 4 and a half years maybe 5 years of a team for not having a first round pick in 2012 that we used. Sorry "wasting" a pick for 4 years is NOT helping the team in any ways... And lets not forget if he rides the pine for 4 years, in order for us to keep him we have to give him a new contract, and we have no idea what he could even do in the NFL, he could and don't say it's not a possibility, but he could be a total NFL flop, and we really wasted 7 years if he is.

^^^^ this

Agreed... Let's just say Manning comes back 100%.... Let's also say he plays out his contract... Like lots of people have said Manning takes all game, and practice reps.... So if we got Luck he is sit for 4 years... First off we just wasted a year draft... I hear all these people saying "they think about the team" when wanting to justify Luck... well we just hurt the team for 4 years cause we get no use of a first round draft pick. Also I am pretty sure sitting on a bench for 4 years would get any player "rusty".... so we are talking at best a half year, if not a full year for Lucky to get "un-rusty"... Now we have wasted 4 and a half years maybe 5 years of a team for not having a first round pick in 2012 that we used. Sorry "wasting" a pick for 4 years is NOT helping the team in any ways... And lets not forget if he rides the pine for 4 years, in order for us to keep him we have to give him a new contract, and we have no idea what he could even do in the NFL, he could and don't say it's not a possibility, but he could be a total NFL flop, and we really wasted 7 years if he is.

^^^^^^^THIS (Everyone should take note)

Whats the point? He learns from the best, learns the system and if Peyton goes down, the colts dont miss a beat.

warhorse, dont assume I think anything, period. I never have ever stated Manning isnt playing at a high level, so dont put words in my mouth.

From some of these responses, its obvious no one has learned their lesson. What happens when you dont have a competitive backup? This year is what happens. You are welcome to your opinion, but dont force it onto someone else by making assumptions some posters are lacking because we dont agree.

You mister I don't assume, are assuming Luck is on the same level as Manning and can take control of the reigns of this offense, if Manning were to go down... But you don't make assumptions right? Your College QB who is unproven in the NFL, could just waltz in from the bench if Manning went down and, wouldn't you know it, its still Manning out there... He will get 0 practice reps, so knowing the system will do great wonders for him, in non game scenarios!

LOL!!!!..... as long as your spinning a nightmare scenario why not also speculate that Luck will get hooked on crack, prostitutes and gambling.... and then marries Irsay's daughter...... thereby becoming heir to the team ownership.

My guess is this gets settled one way or another in February/March when Peyton's contract piece of this gets resolved.... and THAT is totally tied to his medical status at that time.

I could be wrong....but I highly doubt they'll both be on the team next year.

LOL!!!!..... as long as your spinning a nightmare scenario why not also speculate that Luck will get hooked on crack, prostitutes and gambling.... and then marries Irsay's daughter...... thereby becoming heir to the team ownership.

My guess is this gets settled one way or another in February/March when Peyton's contract piece of this gets resolved.... and THAT is totally tied to his medical status at that time.

LOL! NOW THAT IS EXTREME! But I agree with the second part haha

I'm sorry it's a nightmare senario, and far fetched to think that Manning would finish his contract out if he was healthy? It's so hard to believe that he would STILL take every snap in practice like he always did in the past? How is reflecting on what we already know Manning does even close to being a "nightmare senario"? Come on man think next time please... And how is it a nightmare to think a great NCAA QB would not be as great in NFL? How can anyone ride the pine for 4 years, with garbage game experience (when we sit our starters) not going to have rust???

You mister I don't assume, are assuming Luck is on the same level as Manning and can take control of the reigns of this offense, if Manning were to go down... But you don't make assumptions right? Your College QB who is unproven in the NFL, could just waltz in from the bench if Manning went down and, wouldn't you know it, its still Manning out there... He will get 0 practice reps, so knowing the system will do great wonders for him, in non game scenarios!

Wanna talk about assumptions.. you called me Mr.

hate to break it to you.. im a Mrs.

Hows that for assuming. And whaaah. Get over it.

Things change in the NFL, and they change quickly. The success of Cam Newton and Andy Dalton this year has already kind of impacted the way people view incoming rookie QBs. Sam Bradford started from day one, Mark Sanchez started from day one, etc. I seriously doubt that Andrew Luck, or anyone in his camp (agents, family, etc) have any interest in seeing him drafted and then watching him hold a clipboard for four years. It just doesn't really work that way anymore. I know we're only a couple of years removed from the Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers examples, but like I said... trends change very quickly in the NFL.

Well if they did win out it would make for an exciting board for quite a while. :dunno: I for one always hope we get a win and let the draft fall where it may. :hide: Everything will come out in the wash so to speak. :sigh:

Yeah and regardless of where the Colts fall in the draft, there will be some great players available. :yay:

Things change in the NFL, and they change quickly. The success of Cam Newton and Andy Dalton this year has already kind of impacted the way people view incoming rookie QBs. Sam Bradford started from day one, Mark Sanchez started from day one, etc. I seriously doubt that Andrew Luck, or anyone in his camp (agents, family, etc) have any interest in seeing him drafted and then watching him hold a clipboard for four years. It just doesn't really work that way anymore. I know we're only a couple of years removed from the Carson Palmer and Aaron Rodgers examples, but like I said... trends change very quickly in the NFL.

I would question the success of Cam and Andy D....

if we want to be a playoff team in 2012...and with our vets..we do...

the performance laid down by those 2 rookies wont be good enough.

Luck has to be told he wont play next year....

..we have to be honest with him

I'm sorry it's a nightmare senario, and far fetched to think that Manning would finish his contract out if he was healthy? It's so hard to believe that he would STILL take every snap in practice like he always did in the past? How is reflecting on what we already know Manning does even close to being a "nightmare senario"? Come on man think next time please... And how is it a nightmare to think a great NCAA QB would not be as great in NFL? How can anyone ride the pine for 4 years, with garbage game experience (when we sit our starters) not going to have rust???

Just having a little fun Jedi :).... like I said, I don't believe Luck and Manning will both be on the roster next season.

Especially if your scenario of him returning to full health and playing his contract out follows through.... under which I think we'd trade the #1 pick.

The problem is, I'm just not sure how we reach that level of certainty in the next 70 days.... but I'm not a doctor. We ARE talking another $28 million of Irsay's money though. So any substantial level of uncertainty about Peyton's health in February could and probably would ricochet the circumstances 180 degrees, and unless there is a major restructure to his contract, we can't rule out his release because of that huge bonus and a 17 million dollar cap hit next year if we pay it but he doesn't fully heal up.

Let's face...we're in a lousy spot for now.

But I don't think Luck will be a total bum either....which is why I was razzin' you a little bit.

Rodgers sat for 3 years before becoming a starter. No nursemaid there.... And I'm sick and tired of hearing people make PM sound like he's Deion Sanders.... he won't neglect other people or act selfish; the guy restructured his contract to get less money so people like Joe Addai could come back. He's not a diva; he wants to win just as much as anybody else. And if he isn't 100%, he RETIRES and does NOT pull a Favre.

The problem is that the "future hall of famer" isn't playing at that same high level. Hello. He can't play at the moment and there is the chance he won't play again.

Its TOTALLY different than the Favre/Rogers, etc scenarios.

I'd like to hope he will get back to that high level, but right now there isn't any evidence of that.

We got caught with our "pants" down this year, I'd hate for it to happen a 2nd consecutive year.

This QB (Luck) has more hype than any QB I can remember. We could (possibly) replace a hall of fame QB with another one.

Be open to both guys . Spell out your plans. Everyone knows what is expected.

A couple of viewpoints here:

1) Those that said we should have had a capable backup all of these years can't now say "trade Luck" (if we get the #1) since we'd be in the same position we are now.

2) Those that say "Keep them both" have to realize that Peyton will have to give up some practice and gametime snap in order to help Luck grow in the system. Not sure that i see that happening, but Peyton is a team player, so...

3) I just don't think that there is any way that Luck is going to learn this system. It's taken Peyton years to develop it this way and none of us know if Luck can read defenses the way Peyton does. We would have to run a completely different offense for Luck.

My .02

Number 1, dont tell me what to assume. Actually, I wasn't assuming anything. I anticipated the possibility of a common response and answered it ahead of time. It was not assumed that would be your thought as I used the word "if". I specifically used "if" to show that I wasn't assuming. How in the heck was that forcing that onto you. If I remove the word "if", then your response is warranted. If any mod would like to PM me and explain where I stepped out of line here, I would appreciate it.