Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Zenner

I was bored so I started looking over small school prospects.  I was mainly looking at safeties, then I said let me take a look at some of the running backs. That's when I ran across this Zach Zenner.  I looked it over a couple times to make sure I wasn't tripping. Don't take this the wrong way, but I swear he runs like a white Ahmad Bradshaw.  The only difference is he's 223lbs and 5'11". 

"Strong production against better competition. In 2014, put 103 yards (6.1 yards per carry) and two touchdowns on Missouri after hanging 202 yards and two touchdowns on Nebraska in 2013. Uses stiff-arm effectively on second level. Runs through arm tackles. Good hands out of backfield and adjusts to poorly thrown balls. Has "every-down" traits. Sticks nose squarely into A-gap blitzers in pass pro. Can add even more weight to frame if needed."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/zach-zenner?id=2552384

Had consecutive 2000 yard seasons.

I'm not saying he needs to come to the Colts as a draft pick, but may be worth a look as a UDFA maybe.

https://youtu.be/I00tb_OcxtU

https://youtu.be/OOgP__4I3d8

I was bored so I started looking over small school prospects.  I was mainly looking at safeties, then I said let me take a look at some of the running backs. That's when I ran across this Zach Zenner.  I looked it over a couple times to make sure I wasn't tripping. Don't take this the wrong way, but I swear he runs like a white Ahmad Bradshaw.  The only difference is he's 223lbs and 5'11". 

"Strong production against better competition. In 2014, put 103 yards (6.1 yards per carry) and two touchdowns on Missouri after hanging 202 yards and two touchdowns on Nebraska in 2013. Uses stiff-arm effectively on second level. Runs through arm tackles. Good hands out of backfield and adjusts to poorly thrown balls. Has "every-down" traits. Sticks nose squarely into A-gap blitzers in pass pro. Can add even more weight to frame if needed."

I'm not saying he needs to come to the Colts as a draft pick, but may be worth a look as a UDFA maybe.

https://youtu.be/I00tb_OcxtU

https://youtu.be/OOgP__4I3d8

I saw one of the guys from Pro Football Spot write up a scout report on him. . He is on some teams radar and from their point of view is made for the NFL. Tough and gritty and speedy when he gets in the open field.

If we carried a Fullback this season you maybe could look at him in that role, goaline, and some short yardage running. I bet he'd pop off a couple big runs.  He's the type of back you could throw back there at tailback on some occasions also.

I'm not saying he needs to come to the Colts as a draft pick, but may be worth a look as a UDFA

My buddy graduated from SDSU so I have been hearing and seeing this kid for a while. Kid is something else tough as nails running back great to watch also a pre med student. I would love to see him not sure he has NFL speed on the watch but I get the feeling he is one of those that has game speed. I hear talk as a FB or HB but I see him as a RB.

I would love to see him get a chance in Indy.

My buddy graduated from SDSU so I have been hearing and seeing this kid for a while. Kid is something else tough as nails running back great to watch also a pre med student. I would love to see him not sure he has NFL speed on the watch but I get the feeling he is one of those that has game speed. I hear talk as a FB or HB but I see him as a RB.

He's about a 4.5 to 4.6, but I agree he seems faster on the field when he goes into full gear.

I think he's a tweener.  The only reason I spoke of him first as a fullback on our team was because of Gore and Boom Herron. Plus I think we'll draft a running back before we ever got to Zenner.  So if he played with us I think he'd be looking at Fullback to get any kind of playing time. And that is if we even decide to carry a fullback.  I think if he got on the field he'd find a way to get more carries even from the fullback spot.

Exactly, akcolt. What's Zack gonna do against defenses that contain the outside edges & he has to run between the tackles? A lot of his runs came in open space. He reminds of when Reggie Bush was drafted by the Saints in 2006. He won't have that much room to score TDs in the endzone at the next level. 

Zack did run well in the snow & he'd be a decent weapon on bubble screens I guess. Nice work on finding a RB at S. Dakota State krunk. You're good at finding hidden gems like a treasure hunter krunk. :hat:  

Zack does deserve credit for always trying to fall forward for extra yardage as the TV broadcaster said in 1 of those you tube videos. I'm not opposed to bringing him into camp to see what he can do against faster paced defenses. Mainly just to see how well he adjusts to their speed & tackling ability over time & if he cracks or learns to cope with not breaking off so many runs anymore. 

I think he's a tweener.  The only reason I spoke of him first as a fullback on our team was because of Gore and Boom Herron. Plus I think we'll draft a running back before we ever got to Zenner.  So if he played with us I think he'd be looking at Fullback to get any kind of playing time. And that is if we even decide to carry a fullback.  I think if he got on the field he'd find a way to get more carries even from the fullback spot.

I watch him play and I see RB. He has to prove it against bigger faster guys. When he has had the shot he has produced against both Nebraska. and Missouri. Ray had nothing but good things to say about him after the two td game vs Missouri.

He isn't stop watch fast but he is sneaky fast runs through tackles makes hard sharp cuts. I hope he gets a shot at RB. How do you not hand the ball to a guy whose had 3 2000 yard seasons?

I watch him play and I see RB. He has to prove it against bigger faster guys. When he has had the shot he has produced against both Nebraska. and Missouri. Ray had nothing but good things to say about him after the two td game vs Missouri.

He isn't stop watch fast but he is sneaky fast runs through tackles makes hard sharp cuts. I hope he gets a shot at RB. How do you not hand the ball to a guy whose had 3 2000 yard seasons?

I can see your point though.  If he turned out to be better than guys like Ajayi, or came on this team and beat out somebody like Tipton it wouldn't surprise me.  I like him.

With me being from the good state of South Dakota I have seen him play in person many times. Definitely an underrated prospect in this years draft, and definitely worth a late round flyer pick. I think he is going to shock a lot of teams with his talent. He is definitely like Reality said a one-cut downhill runner. Runs with a lot more power than people give him credit for, and has surprising speed for a guy his size. He dominated the smaller competition like is expected and also played well against bigger schools like Missouri and Nebraska. The talent is there it shows with 3 2000yd seasons averaging 6.1 ypc with 988 carries.

The white RB has almost gone the way of the white CB. This guys best shot in the NFL will likely come at FB, though, these days, there's probably only about 15-20 true FBs active on NFL rosters at one time.

Good luck to him. I'll be interested to see where he goes and how he does.

My original description meant that he was a white guy that ran very similar to Bradshaw.  He appears to be around the same speed as Bradshaw to me, which is pretty good for a guy that is 223.  I didn't mean he was slower.  It was cool and different(without an intention to disrespect) to see a white guy move like that at Tailback.

My original description meant that he was a white guy that ran very similar to Bradshaw.  He appears to be around the same speed as Bradshaw to me, which is pretty good for a guy that is 223.  I didn't mean he was slower.  It was cool and different(without an intention to disrespect) to see a white guy move like that.

I was joking....kinda

With me being from the good state of South Dakota I have seen him play in person many times. Definitely an underrated prospect in this years draft, and definitely worth a late round flyer pick. I think he is going to shock a lot of teams with his talent. He is definitely like Reality said a one-cut downhill runner. Runs with a lot more power than people give him credit for, and has surprising speed for a guy his size. He dominated the smaller competition like is expected and also played well against bigger schools like Missouri and Nebraska. The talent is there it shows with 3 2000yd seasons averaging 6.1 ypc with 988 carries.

Not much memories of my weekend in Brookings, SD (SDSU) must have been the water! Lol! We could use another SDSU alumnus to share notes with AV! Go Colts! Go Jacks!