Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Borland retires

Nobody

It's not a bogus concern. I'm concerned about getting involved in a terrible auto accident, but I'm not going to quit driving. I'm going to keep living without fear, picking the tree of life bare of it's fruit. Apparently some people (Borland) have a whole bunch of fruit shoved up their rich behinds with a silver shovel. He doesn't need a physical job. He needs a desk and a pen, maybe a copy machine or some other clerical implement.

Where I come from we call that being a coward. He's afraid, his own words (paraphrasing slightly). Go be scared Chris, ya rich cakeboy. 

I did worse to my body for free, for fun. Ain't gettin' no sympathy from me, for my heart doth bleed nary a drop for him.

you sound very jealous

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to call him a "fool", but I will say he just doesn't want to be a football player and he didn't have the testicular fortitude to just say it. 

Personally, I find it insulting that he quit on the grounds that the NFL is a dangerous occupation. Millions of Americans go to work everyday to perform far more dangerous tasks, and at the end of the day, there is no mansion to return home to, no sailboat docked at the local marina, no Ferrari's in the driveway. They do it to provide, and Borland simply doesn't need to. If he included that bit in his soapbox ranting about the sport, I'd take him seriously. 

Yes, there's more to life than Ferrari's, sailboats and mansions, but Chris already has all that, doesn't he? Always has.  

Okay, I get it ruksak. You find his explanation disingenuous & untruthful & you'd have more respect if Chris just said "I just have no desire to play football anymore." Thanks for the clarification. 

A lot of students who attend UW-Madison are well to do financially yes, but I'm not rich by any means & I graduated from there as well with a Master's degree in Library Science. 

I appreciate your candor as always ruksak. 

Goodness.

I'm sorry you have such a cynical, bitter and resentful outlook on someone else's personal decision making process. It's really sad.

Well....you're probably right, at least about the cynical part. Yes, I have become acutely cynical these days. I've grown sick of our society's phony, 'pad every corner of life' attitude, like people are afraid to live. 

Yes, I vocalize my disdain when I see 12 year old kids riding their bikes carefully down a sidewalk with a helmet, knee and elbow pads. It disgusts me. When a cop pulls me over for not wearing a seat belt, even though some dude just drove by us sitting on a motorcycle, I become displeased. 

When I see an NFL player get one year into his career and then claim he's quitting because it's too risky, I laugh. I laugh and I laugh, because it disgusts me. Life is risky, cry me a river. 

If he simply said "My heart just isn't in it, I don't want to play football".....I would applaud the man. I swear this to you. 

you sound very jealous

meh.....you can turn this around on me, personally, if you wish. That's the result of being honest and putting my opinion out there. ....and that's OK by me. 

"It is not the things we have done that we regret, but the things we did not". 

I've been hurt far worse than that kid has, all while performing a hobby. I got back up, I wasn't scared. Maybe he's smarter than I? Or maybe he's just richer than I. 

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12501655/how-san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-made-decision-retire-safety-concerns

Borland said he understood that because he comes from a stable family and has a college degree, the decision might be easier for him than others.

"I've got the luxury of choice just with the way I've been raised and the good fortune of growing up in a middle-class family and having my college degree. I've got a bachelor's degree in history, so employers aren't exactly drooling over my credentials, but no, I think there's guys who don't have that choice, but that's not a reason to shirk the issue or avoid addressing things."

To me, that comment above serves to function as a smoking gun toward my point. Boil out the fat in his quote and you get "I'm too rich to play football, I have no passion for the game". 

Peyton Manning could buy and sell Chris Borland a hundred times over. He has an obscene amount of money, more than any human ever should need. But....he has such passion for the game, nothing short of a critical injury will stop him (not even that seemed to stop him). That's passion. 

Which is exactly what is missing from Borland's narrative, the whole truth. If he had included the truth and not just sold his decision due strictly to CTE concerns, I'd have no issue with his decision. 

Well....you're probably right, at least about the cynical part. Yes, I have become acutely cynical these days. I've grown sick of our society's phony, 'pad every corner of life' attitude, like people are afraid to live. 

Yes, I vocalize my disdain when I see 12 year old kids riding their bikes carefully down a sidewalk with a helmet, knee and elbow pads. It disgusts me. When a cop pulls me over for not wearing a seat belt, even though some dude just drove by us sitting on a motorcycle, I become displeased. 

When I see an NFL player get one year into his career and then claim he's quitting because it's too risky, I laugh. I laugh and I laugh, because it disgusts me. Life is risky, cry me a river. 

If he simply said "My heart just isn't in it, I don't want to play football".....I would applaud the man. I swear this to you. 

The man isn't asking for your sympathy. As a matter of fact, he wants nothing from you. Not even your applause.

But for you to laugh off concerns about his long term health and well-being is just ridiculous. That's the same attitude Dave Duerson had, up until he shot himself in the chest so that his brain could be studied. Your life as a bike rider or as a driver or whatever isn't the same as playing linebacker in the NFL.

All I'm saying is that it's his choice. And his motivations, however nuanced and varied, aren't really subject to scrutiny.

To me, that comment above serves to function as a smoking gun toward my point. Boil out the fat in his quote and you get "I'm too rich to play football, I have no passion for the game". 

Peyton Manning could buy and sell Chris Borland a hundred times over. He has an obscene amount of money, more than any human ever should need. But....he has such passion for the game, nothing short of a critical injury will stop him (not even that seemed to stop him). That's passion. 

Which is exactly what is missing from Borland's narrative, the whole truth. If he had included the truth and not just sold his decision due strictly to CTE concerns, I'd have no issue with his decision. 

Okay.

Borland choosing not to play football isn't similar to someone choosing not to better the world.

Even if it was, every person has the right to choose how they're going to live their life. If a parent says "I would rather have a normal work week and go home to my kids at a reasonable hour than work 14 hours a day trying to cure Parkinson's," that's their choice. And I can't fathom how it could be called selfish to put your own family ahead of others.

Borland has access to lots of influential people. Probably more, now that he's retired abruptly.

Some are clearly resentful of him. Not you. But I'm not worried about whether he regrets his decision in the future. That's his issue.

Thank you for your kind words on my behalf Superman. My only point about the hypothetical Parkinson's Disease cure angle is this: Not every decision to abandon a pursuit of something can be classified as a "personal choice" based on the greater good of what 1 person's knowledge could mean for millions perhaps billions of people on this planet.

I wasn't claiming that being a LB or scientist were on equal grounds just what the significance of what the scientist's legacy would entail for subsequent generations even after the scientist retires or dies. There are instances when the decision to walk away  from one's unique talent really does matter in the end. It's not a matter of family before life's work; Essentially, it's the scope of what a person knows & how that information can transform lives for the better. So, in my mind, there are cases where walking away from a potential medical breakthrough is not wise & yes dare I say selfish. And before you say a colleague can finish the scientist's work once he or she is gone the people left to carry on a Parkinson's Disease cure might not possess the intellectual capacity to comprehend his or her ability to dissect, breakdown the data, & apply it in real time as easily as they did. I have a close uncle with Parkinson's that's why I'm so passionate about this hypothetical example BTW. 

On everything else you wrote I agree 100%

Thank you for your kind words on my behalf Superman. My only point about the hypothetical Parkinson's Disease cure angle is this: Not every decision to abandon a pursuit of something can be classified as a "personal choice" based on the greater good of what 1 person's knowledge could mean for millions perhaps billions of people on this planet.

I wasn't claiming that being a LB or scientist were on equal grounds just what the significance of what the scientist's legacy would entail for subsequent generations even after the scientist retires or dies. There are instances when the decision to walk away  from one's unique talent really does matter in the end. It's not a matter of family before life's work; Essentially, it's the scope of what a person knows & how that information can transform lives for the better. So, in my mind, there are cases where walking away from a potential medical breakthrough is not wise & yes dare I say selfish. And before you say a colleague can finish the scientist's work once he or she is gone the people left to carry on a Parkinson's Disease cure might not possess the intellectual capacity to comprehend his or her ability to dissect, breakdown the data, & apply it in real time as easily as they did. I have a close uncle with Parkinson's that's why I'm so passionate about this hypothetical example BTW. 

On everything else you wrote I agree 100%

I see what you mean.

Let me offer a different perspective: The brilliant researcher you speak of also has a close family member with Parkinson's, and has chosen to spend more time with that family member, while he/she can, rather than continuing to pursue the research. Selfish? I don't know about that.

It reminds me of an episode of House, when a cancer researcher gave up her career to do whatever made her happy. I get the conflict.

Anyways, like we've both said, playing for the Niners isn't the same as medical research. I don't see how the "selfishness" angle is appropriate in this situation.

It's not OK by you. You hate it. 

Not sure what you mean? I don't hate that you think I'm jealous. I'm comfortable enough to know that jealousy is far from my motivation. I honestly feel that he just doesn't want to be a pro football player, and he chose to use CTE as an excuse. 

I genuinely refuse to believe that he had this sudden epiphany that football can cause long term health issues. Most of the things we do as humans has the same potential effect. 

On an unrelated note; The NFL Network is airing a special episode of Chris Borland: A Football Life tonight. It's 6 minutes long. 

Not sure what you mean? I don't hate that you think I'm jealous. I'm comfortable enough to know that jealousy is far from my motivation. I honestly feel that he just doesn't want to be a pro football player, and he chose to use CTE as an excuse.

I genuinely refuse to believe that he had this sudden epiphany that football can cause long term health issues. Most of the things we do as humans has the same potential effect.

On an unrelated note; The NFL Network is airing a special episode of Chris Borland: A Football Life tonight. It's 6 minutes long.

I don't care what you say your motivation is. I know the truth.

On an unrelated note; The NFL Network is airing a special episode of Chris Borland: A Football Life tonight. It's 6 minutes long. 

Two things, and then I promise I'm done:

1) No one ever said it was a "sudden epiphany." He actually said it's something he's been struggling with since before the 2014 season started. http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12501655/how-san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-made-decision-retire-safety-concerns

2) To the bolded, refusing to believe something is intellectually lazy.

I can't blame a guy for wanting to remember his name and family members at 40.

If he's still alive. I don't take for granted that I'll live another frickin' day. As I'm now 43 and I lack the cardio to continue riding BMX, I'm now an avid 4-wheeler. I spend many weekends either in the Badlands (Attica, IN) or in the sticks of Haspin Acres (Laurel, IN). 

Do I quit because of the statistics? 

http://www.atvsafety.gov/stats.html

Hells no. I might be dead next week, maybe from a 4 wheeler accident, whateva. Where's my 10 million dollars for doing something that is statistically far more dangerous than playing in the NFL? 

Two things, and then I promise I'm done:

1) No one ever said it was a "sudden epiphany." He actually said it's something he's been struggling with since before the 2014 season started. http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12501655/how-san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-made-decision-retire-safety-concerns

So he's been a coward for over a year now?

2) To the bolded, refusing to believe something is intellectually lazy.

That's a pretty broad statement. I refuse to believe a lot of things. Such as religion, Santa Claus and the Energizer Bunny. 

So he's been a coward for over a year now?

Only in your world does "I'm not sure I want to play football" equate to cowardice. 

That's a pretty broad statement. I refuse to believe a lot of things. Such as religion, Santa Claus and the Energizer Bunny.

I stand by my statement.

I admired Sticky Ricky because he was honest about it. I do not admire Quits Borland .....because I feel he's not being honest about it.

He has no passion for the game, and that is what I will question.

I had passion for my BMX sport. NOTHING......nothing would get me off that bike. Not an ankle that was swollen to the size of a cantaloupe (I have to wear a compression fitting at work now, almost 20 years after the fact), not spitting my own teeth into my hand (twice, I have to wear a partial upper denture now), not laying on the hot pavement with ringing in my ears and blood dripping down my face (12 stitches and a 2nd degree burn from passing out and laying motionless on blacktop for too long), I could list my injuries all day.

And I did it for free.....because I had passion for the sport. Nobody was paying me. I quit when my daughter was born, but if I was being paid for it? Hell no, that's money for my daughter. I ain't no cork-sniffing rich boy, I have to work for a living.

I'm glad you like riding your bicycle and all, but the two are nowhere near comparable.

I'm glad you like riding your bicycle and all, but the two are nowhere near comparable.

You have no clue. I've had numerous concussions, one of which was so bad I spit my own teeth into my hand. 

I know you won't watch it, but it might enlighten you as to what my position is here. I'm not wired to cower from things I'm passionate about because of risk. Borland is, and that is inarguable. You tell me; Are these kids exposed to more or less danger than those playing youth football? 

You have no clue. I've had numerous concussions, one of which was so bad I spit my own teeth into my hand. 

I know you won't watch it, but it might enlighten you as to what my position is here. I'm not wired to cower from things I'm passionate about because of risk. Borland is, and that is inarguable. You tell me; Are these kids exposed to more or less danger than those playing youth football? 

Wow, you have more guts than I do ruksak. I get what you're saying or at least I think I get where you are coming from. Borland knew the risk when he put on a helmet in high school, college, & the pros & the risks involved adds to the mystique & charm of the sport itself because very few individuals can perform said activity at a high level of consistency. 

I won't imply that Chris was some kind of wimp or wuss, but he did know the risk of violent NFL tackling going in. His eyes were not permanently closed to the dangers going in. He has every right to retire from the NFL sure, but I am somewhat surprised that a LB as gifted as him hung up his cleats so quickly. Guys with a natural gift rarely drop it like cold turkey. Again, it's his life his decision. It has no repercussions on me at all. 

Read the entire post so far. Here's my 2 cents (literally) and the way I see it.

1. Everyone's entitled to evaluate and decide how they want to make their living. Legal or not.

2. Everyone has to live with "dangerous" choices how they make that living. Legal or not.

3. Everyone has to live with decisions that affect others. (Family, friends, colleagues, etc.) Legal or not.

4. Everyone has to live with the outcomes of that decision. Legal or not.

5. Everyone has to live with the premise of paying penalties or enjoying that outcome. Legal or not.

6. Everyone has to live with the monetary risks or luxuries of that decision or outcome. Legal or not.

7. Everyone has to live with paying life's dues. (Come what may according to those dues) Legal or not.

8. Everyone has to live with the line of "it's my life, and I'll do as I please" mentality. Legal or not.

9. Everyone has to live with criticism and critiques of that mentality as well. Legal or not.

And finally and most importantly to all the above mentioned ...

10. Everyone has to live with the moral compass that has been endowed by a higher power to make all of these decisions whether they are accepted by human beings or not. We do after all live in a country that has been through the entire gauntlet of said freedoms and rights that can go either way. It's up to you! And isn't that the way it ought to be?

meh.....you can turn this around on me, personally, if you wish. That's the result of being honest and putting my opinion out there. ....and that's OK by me. 

"It is not the things we have done that we regret, but the things we did not". 

I've been hurt far worse than that kid has, all while performing a hobby. I got back up, I wasn't scared. Maybe he's smarter than I? Or maybe he's just richer than I.

you assume a lot about a kid you never met

Interesting quote from a Pittsburg doctor on CTE occurrence:

"I think the problem of CTE, although real, is it's being over exaggerated and being extrapolated to youth football and to high school football," Maroon said.

Maroon said he reviewed all known cases of CTE, a progressive degenerative brain disease related to head trauma and found in dozens of retired athletes in football and other sports, from 1954 to August 2013.

"We came up with 63 total cases of CTE [and] in the last two years a few more," he said. "But there have been 30-40 million kids who have played football during that period of time. It's a rare phenomena. We have no idea the incidence. There are ... more injuries to kids falling off bikes, scooters, falling in playgrounds than there are in youth football. I think again, it's never been safer. Can we improve? Yes. We have to do better all the time to make it safer."

On Borland's retirement, Maroon said: "When an athlete is fearful of any injury, it's time to get out. You can't play with apprehension in any sport and be as good as you can be. He obviously came to that conclusion himself. ... However, I really believe it's never been safer in terms of the sport. The rule changes, the safer tackling techniques, the medical management of concussions is so much better than it ever has been in the history of this sport."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12507025/cte-rare-phenomena-claims-dr-joseph-maroon-pittsburgh-steelers-neurosurgeon-nfl-medical-consultant

For many years the NFL downplayed the effects of football-related concussions on players' cognitive functioning. Their doctors said there was no connection between head injuries incurred on the football field and brain disorders/cognitive impairment. So, it does not surprise me that a doctor affiliated with the NFL would say what you referenced.

Just because football "has never been safer" does not mean that it is safe.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12501655/how-san-francisco-49ers-chris-borland-made-decision-retire-safety-concerns

Borland said he understood that because he comes from a stable family and has a college degree, the decision might be easier for him than others.

"I've got the luxury of choice just with the way I've been raised and the good fortune of growing up in a middle-class family and having my college degree. I've got a bachelor's degree in history, so employers aren't exactly drooling over my credentials, but no, I think there's guys who don't have that choice, but that's not a reason to shirk the issue or avoid addressing things."

Also, I'm not sure where we're getting this idea that his family is rich, lives in a mansion and drives Ferraris. Or why it's any of our business.

I've got to get in on this........

I'm starting to agree with Ruksak to a certain point.  What ever his concerns are, fine, that's his business, but to actively participate in the talk show circuit seems a bit attention-seeking to me.  Now he's saying the right things about the right issues....which always seems a bit phony to me.

So why does he think...and ESPN broadcast....the notion that his situation is different than anybody else's who plays(ed) in the NFL or received an athletic scholarship?  Don't they ALL have college degrees, or is their some kind of unwritten understanding and acceptance that guys-like-Borland actually get an education, while guys-not-like-Borland don't.  Why don't they all have the same choice Borland does after 4 years of college and one NFL season?

Because of their background? Nonsense. The difference is that some care to apply what they learn, or have the capacity to learn what's being taught, and others don't care to learn, or simply don't thave the capacity to learn it.  That's the difference.   His background has nothing to do with his current level of opportunity, or his success in the future, or his desicion to quit now.

There are plenty of rich and middle class children that blow their opportunity because of who they are, stupid, but that doesn't fit into the template that espn wants to foster.

I'm starting to think he's just another media seeking phony who wants praise for saying the right social things.

I'm starting to agree with Ruksak to a certain point.  What ever his concerns are, fine, that's his business, but to actively participate in the talk show circuit seems a bit attention-seeking to me.  Now he's saying the right things about the right issues....which always seems a bit phony to me.

So why does he think...and ESPN broadcast....the notion that his situation is different than anybody else's who plays(ed) in the NFL or received an athletic scholarship?  Don't they ALL have college degrees, or is their some kind of unwritten understanding and acceptance that guys-like-Borland actually get an education, while guys-not-like-Borland don't.  Why don't they all have the same choice Borland does after 4 years of college and half of a rookie season?

Because of their background? Nonsense. The difference is that some care to apply what they learn, or have the capacity to learn what's being taught, and others don't care to learn, or simply don't thave the capacity to learn it.  That's the difference.   His background has nothing to do with his current level of opportunity, or his success in the future.

There are plenty of rich and middle class children that blow their opportunity, because of who they are, stupid, but that doesn't fit into the template that espn wants to foster.

I'm starting to think he's just another media seeking phony who wants praise for saying the right social things.

Well worded. As I said before, if he just bows out and that's it, I have no issue with him. 

But why the fireworks? Go quietly into the night, don't pontificate. 

I am willing to bet my check this guy pursues a career that conveniently aligns with his supposed reason for leaving. Watch what he does next, and how this campaign garners him a career opportunity. 

Mark Cuban felt the NFL would decline due to over saturation of the market. He too could be partly right. The good times never roll on forever.

This concussion thing is serious business and there really is no panacea to stop it as the sport itself is collision-based. This type of decision by a rookie 24 year old with a promising career will send some shock waves. And there is a decline of young boys going into football in the US but certainly not enough to really effect the numbers yet at a pro level.

But as you say soccer is on the door step but I just don't think soccer will get the TV viewship unless they radically change the rules. That is what is killing baseball. It is such a slow sport and now there is talk of making the pitchers and hitters speed up their time on the mound and batters box but that is not the issue at all. The sport is not TV friendly the way the NFL is and unless soccer becomes more explosive on the offensive side I just can't see it really challenging the American sports landscape ...

I agree about the NCAA. They bear some accountability in this too.

How can a Pats fan be so articulate and have very interesting and valid points................... :scratch:

Well worded. As I said before, if he just bows out and that's it, I have no issue with him. 

But why the fireworks? Go quietly into the night, don't pontificate. 

I am willing to bet my check this guy pursues a career that conveniently aligns with his supposed reason for leaving. Watch what he does next, and how this campaign garners him a career opportunity. 

Some sort of advocacy I assume.  Uses this experience, decision, and so called expertise to earn income?  Its probably easier and more lucrative than using his history degree.

Its funny that him going on the talk show circuit has been bought up.  In New Zealand concussion is a big issue due to it being a common occurence in Rugby Union and Rugby League.  His retirement is big news over here and on our sports radio show the djs have said that they would love to get him on the show and have a huge chat about the subject of concussion. So prehaps all these talk shows are chasing him, not him wanting to appear on them.

I knew nothing about the guy besides the suplex tackle before reading that article. I thought sure this was going to be another case of a guy who has watched to much tv, or an irrelevant guy who was trying to become famous.

He's had 2 concussions though, and maybe another so I'll eat that crow. I hope he finds something in life.

So why does he think...and ESPN broadcast....the notion that his situation is different than anybody else's who plays(ed) in the NFL or received an athletic scholarship?  Don't they ALL have college degrees, or is their some kind of unwritten understanding and acceptance that guys-like-Borland actually get an education, while guys-not-like-Borland don't.  Why don't they all have the same choice Borland does after 4 years of college and one NFL season?

Because of their background? Nonsense. The difference is that some care to apply what they learn, or have the capacity to learn what's being taught, and others don't care to learn, or simply don't thave the capacity to learn it.  That's the difference.   His background has nothing to do with his current level of opportunity, or his success in the future, or his desicion to quit now.

There are plenty of rich and middle class children that blow their opportunity because of who they are, stupid, but that doesn't fit into the template that espn wants to foster.

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that someone would have legitimate concerns about their long-term well-being, and be willing to act on those concerns. Why can't it be as simple as that?

There are easily THOUSANDS of high school kids who choose not to play football because of the health risks. It's not like this is some radical proposition.

Also, I don't know what you're getting at with his comment about having a degree. First, no they all don't have degrees, and it's hard to believe that you don't know that; Donte Moncrief left school early, and hasn't earned a degree yet. Second, his comment wasn't 'I can do this because I have a degree.' 

I don't understand what you two are on about. First, he's a spoiled silver spooner who doesn't have to work. Then he's a coward for choosing not to play football because of  perceived health risks. Now, he's a media seeking phony. Unreal.

I don't understand why it's so hard to believe that someone would have legitimate concerns about their long-term well-being, and be willing to act on those concerns. Why can't it be as simple as that?

Because it 's hard to fit this reasoning into a neat little box....it's not that simple. We have a guy that has spent most of his young life preparing for a career in pro sports, he succeeded and it would be routine for a player of his talent to snatch up $40-$50 million in 5 years time. He worked toward this goal for many years, was effectively handed a lottery ticket and he just walks away because he doesn't want to risk brain injury, when most of us risk brain injury just driving down the street. 

This all reminds me of a childhood friend from many years ago. His father was a health nut, always preaching about eating right and exercising. He was an avid jogger, always running, rain sleet or snow. 

At the age of 36, he dropped dead of a massive heart attack just 1 block from my home while jogging. A tragedy, yes. But the comedy of irony was hard to miss, not that it was funny, but certainly noteworthy. So here we have a man obsessed with staying healthy and afraid of health issues from leading a sedentary lifestyle, dropping dead all the same. 

One question Doug: Why would ESPN & it's NFL programming want to cater to a message exclusively about the dangers of CTE & brain trauma? It's counterproductive & not a wise business move. 

All Trey Wingo & the NFL LIVE analysts are doing is playing devil's advocate showing the other side of the argument a player on the verge of super stardom deciding to walk away. It just shows the public that key players promoting the NFL product understand 2 sides of the same coin: The benefits & drawbacks of playing professional football.

I see no ulterior motive here & if Borland gets paid to be an advocate for CTE research & brain trauma more power to him. Is it any different than a parent whose college son gets injured, becomes addicted to pain pills, tragically dies, & the parents later become crusaders for educating kids about the dangers of pain pills & later heroin addicts to maintain their role on the football team? No, not really. Most people wouldn't call these parents greedy individuals exploiting their child's death for personal gain. 

If you wanna believe Borland is insincere in his decision to leave the NFL that's fine, but I wouldn't read much more into it than that personally. 

Because it 's hard to fit this reasoning into a neat little box....it's not that simple. We have a guy that has spent most of his young life preparing for a career in pro sports, he succeeded and it would be routine for a player of his talent to snatch up $40-$50 million in 5 years time. He worked toward this goal for many years, was effectively handed a lottery ticket and he just walks away because he doesn't want to risk brain injury, when most of us risk brain injury just driving down the street. 

This all reminds me of a childhood friend from many years ago. His father was a health nut, always preaching about eating right and exercising. He was an avid jogger, always running, rain sleet or snow. 

At the age of 36, he dropped dead of a massive heart attack just 1 block from my home while jogging. A tragedy, yes. But the comedy of irony was hard to miss, not that it was funny, but certainly noteworthy. So here we have a man obsessed with staying healthy and afraid of health issues from leading a sedentary lifestyle, dropping dead all the same. 

You don't really believe that playing linebacker in the NFL is the same as driving down the street, do you? It's a patently ridiculous comparison.

And Chris Borland is not the first person to walk away from millions, in sports or otherwise.

Player says 'I don't want to keep playing football because I'm concerned about the long-term health risks,' and you call him a selfish, cowardly liar, rather than respecting his decision. It's really shocking how bitter and resentful you are of someone who makes a choice based on what they believe. 

You don't really believe that playing linebacker in the NFL is the same as driving down the street, do you? It's a patently ridiculous comparison.

No. Driving down the street is much more dangerous. 

And Chris Borland is not the first person to walk away from millions, in sports or otherwise.

...and I said a few pages ago, I was cool with Ricky Williams' departure. Borland, his departure seemed phony, contrived and holier than thou. As if he is saying that being an NFL player is for impoverished animals that come from the ghetto.  

Bloodsport is for slaves, history shows us this. Maybe this is Chris using his bachelors degree in history? He is clearly above these slaves fighting to the death in our lush venues.

Sorry I didn't articulate what about this event that has rubbed me the wrong way, but the more I give this issue thought, the more it seems like his actions are insulting to his former peers. If he doesn't want to play, fine....buh-bye. Leave. Nothing more needs said beyond "I'm just not that into it". 

Player says 'I don't want to keep playing football because I'm concerned about the long-term health risks,' and you call him a selfish, cowardly liar, rather than respecting his decision.

Because that's not all he said. He also talked about how fortunate he is, which is also a way of saying "I'm better than this". You'll see and hear more angry backlash from offended players here soon, I'm sure of it. 

It's not WHAT he did, it's how he did it. 

You've been remarkably consistent in your position which is 2 fold in scope: 1. Borland left a lot of money/financial security on the table by leaving the NFL & 2. Death & severe injury can happen to anyone, anywhere, regardless of what a person's occupation is. It's valid on both counts ruksak. I just think some people are having trouble having Chris Borland being viewed as a liar & a poster child for a misleading notion that he wasn't tough enough to endure this game at the next level or driven to flourish at his craft beyond his rookie year in CA. 

I question why he left so swiftly too given how talented he was, but at the end of the day, he has the right to pursue other interests just like 49ers RB Glen Coffee left the same franchise to become an army paratrooper.  

http://deadspin.com/remember-former-49ers-rb-glen-coffee-hes-an-army-parat-530696145

Ya see, that doesn't strike me as cocky, arrogant, or wasteful. 

And, SW my 'ol friend, I'll rip one line from that article you posted and let's see if it jives with the one damn thing I've been harping about;

he admitted his heart was never in it.

BINGO!!!

We have a winner. Respect that young man, says it like it is. No crying from that soldier, hells yeah. 

Haven't I been saying for 3 pages now that if Borland just straight up said "I'm just not that into it" than I'm cool with what he did?

Thanks for the link, I think that may help clarify my position and perhaps not make me appear to be such a vile, judgmental villain.  I truly don't like the way he handled his career change. I think he wanted to make a splash, this was his intent. All the talk shows, intent. Book deals, intent. 

Coffee? No trumpets blowing, he went quietly into the night to pursue a truly selfless and noble endeavor. 

Ya see, that doesn't strike me as cocky, arrogant, or wasteful. 

And, SW my 'ol friend, I'll rip one line from that article you posted and let's see if it jives with the one damn thing I've been harping about;

BINGO!!!

We have a winner. Respect that young man, says it like it is. No crying from that soldier, hells yeah. 

Haven't I been saying for 3 pages now that if Borland just straight up said "I'm just not that into it" than I'm cool with what he did?

Thanks for the link, I think that may help clarify my position and perhaps not make me appear to be such a vile, judgmental villain.  I truly don't like the way he handled his career change. I think he wanted to make a splash, this was his intent. All the talk shows, intent. Book deals, intent. 

Coffee? No trumpets blowing, he went quietly into the night to pursue a truly selfless and noble endeavor. 

LOL! Glad to be of service & just for the record, sometimes I root for the diabolical bad guy to defeat the goody 2 shoes hero anyway. HA! HA! Well played Ruk; Well played indeed. 

So, in a nutshell, you would have preferred if Mr. Borland left the game quietly, discretely, & without all the media pomp & circumstance attention & fan fair. Got it.