Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So The Question Is.. How Did Peyton Actually Look In The Throwing Session?

Restored

So I'm sure by now we all heard Polian speak about Peyton throwing around in that "scripted" practice session.

My question here is how did Peyton actually look? Was he actually making good, accurate passes with the zip we are accustomed to seeing or did Peyton not have any of those traits?

Another question I have is if he did look good or not, does Polian not want him to play because it would be meaningless to the standings anyway?

I say Polian needs to put that video on youtube so we can see (kidding obviously) but still!

I've no idea how Peyton looked in the training session TBH, I think the reason we won't see Peyton play at all this year is because our season is practically over at this stage and there isn't any good reason to risk Peyton's health after all the surgery he's had. It'd make more sense to leave him until next season and make sure he's fully healed.

I've no idea how Peyton looked in the training session TBH, I think the reason we won't see Peyton play at all this year is because our season is practically over at this stage and there isn't any good reason to risk Peyton's health after all the surgery he's had. It'd make more sense to leave him until next season and make sure he's fully healed.

So I'm sure by now we all heard Polian speak about Peyton throwing around in that "scripted" practice session.

My question here is how did Peyton actually look? Was he actually making good, accurate passes with the zip we are accustomed to seeing or did Peyton not have any of those traits?

Another question I have is if he did look good or not, does Polian not want him to play because it would be meaningless to the standings anyway?

I say Polian needs to put that video on youtube so we can see (kidding obviously) but still!

I'd like to hear Peyton tell us how he's doing and I think he will Thursday night on TV...

I don't think that's the question. I think the question is "how did he feel in the couple days after?" Because that's a better gauge of how he's healing. No doubt he has the mechanics and all that to be an effective passer. His core strength and his arm strength probably will take some time to get back to the level he's used to, so I doubt his throws are going to look the way he wants them to right now. But if his body is responding well to the work he's been doing, then he'll be back.

You haven't seen the tape? It was on channel 13 last night.

From the Star.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111220/SPORTS03/111220029/Colts-Manning-won-t-join-practices-season

Two days after the Indianapolis Colts said quarterback Peyton Manning wouldn’t play this season, they announced today the four-time NFL MVP won’t practice, either.

“He’s rehabbing. I think that’s probably what I can say the best to you,” coach Jim Caldwell said at the team’s West 56th Street complex. “I know it’s one of those things where everybody has an interest. He’s not going to practice at all with us here for the next two weeks.

“One reason why, it’s a short week this week. We’re probably going to operate at a little different pace. He feels, I think, and the doctors and the guys that he’s working with, feel that he could probably be a little better served kind of working in his own drill work. He can put together some things to certainly enhance his rehab.”

Manning has not yet spoken since Colts vice chairman Bill Polian said Sunday that the quarterback had a workout last Wednesday and doctors and the team decided the next day that the passer would not play in a game this season.

The team and Manning have said all along the hope was he could practice with the team, hence he stayed on the active roster.

The Colts (1-13) host Houston (10-4) Thursday night at Lucas Oil Stadium, which meant just two days of practice after Sunday’s 27-13 home victory over Tennessee.

“He’s also concerned about not taking any reps away from Dan (Orlovsky) or Curtis (Painter) in terms of week’s preparation,” Caldwell said. “He’s going to focus in more of just the rehab and probably the rehab more so outside of maybe the confines of a practice session.”

Bill Polian, who earlier said on a national radio show that Manning threw with “decent velocity” in Wednesday’s workout, then made an impromptu appearance today at the complex podium.

Asked how Manning threw, Polian said, “Fine. Better.”

Asked about his “decent velocity” comment, Polian said, “That’s correct.”

Polian said if Manning fails his physical at season’s end, the quarterback will be able to continue his rehabilitation with the team.

“I know he wanted to get out there badly,” Polian said. “That’s his nature. I don’t blame him. That’s the way he is. That’s why he’s accomplished as much as he’s accomplished. But the medical situation is what it is.”

Wow that Indy Star article does not make me feel good about Peyton's future...

Why? If anything Caldwell's comment especially enlightnening because hes basically saying that Peyton will be doing practice runs but just by himself and not with the actual team so that Painter and Danny can get all the reps.

Wow that Indy Star article does not make me feel good about Peyton's future...

What are you talking about? That article was as vague and uninformative as possible.

Manning is a competitor and wants to play.

Polian said he won't play this year.

Manning wants to practice, but on his own time so as not to take practice reps away from Orlovsky and Painter. That makes sense, seeing as how Manning won't play this year.

Manning's throwing has improved, it said.

What about that was news? What about that was grim for the future?

Do you guys seriously not see whats going on here?!

As much as i dislike Polian, and wish he would retire, the man DOES know his way around league rules.

By keeping Peyton OFF of the IR, he is allowed to workout with the team...which is a GREAT thing...

By saying that he can not practice and will not play this season, the team medical staff can easily say that Peyton "fails" his end of season physical...

By "failing" his physical, the NFL then allows the team to direct/participate in his offseason workouts, unimpeded by league rules, where as if he "passes" his physical, the team really cant do much with him until offseason camps open.

Maybe once you all have time to think about this, and let it sink in, you wont be so gloomy about whats going on here. Like i said, i dont especially like Polian...but this is a brilliant way to circumvent league rules, to allow all of the work and evaluation that they need before the draft and before his option comes due, while at the same time, leaving "doubt" over the situation enough to drive up the price for the #1 pick IF we did decide to trade it.

from http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/32165/polian-not-high-on-trading-a-top-pick

On Peyton Manning’s progress: “He is improving, he can throw the ball with good velocity for about 30 to 35 throws in a limited area, 25 to 30 yards. That’s a lot better, almost 100 percent better, than he was in September before he underwent this surgery.”

Polian said Sunday that Manning could practice some next week and it would be for the quarterback to decide. According to Polian, the work would amount to throwing routes to uncovered receivers or pass-catchers working one-on-one against defenders and that such work is “up to him, not critical.”

from http://espn.go.com/b...ding-a-top-pick

On Peyton Manning’s progress: “He is improving, he can throw the ball with good velocity for about 30 to 35 throws in a limited area, 25 to 30 yards. That’s a lot better, almost 100 percent better, than he was in September before he underwent this surgery.”

Polian said Sunday that Manning could practice some next week and it would be for the quarterback to decide. According to Polian, the work would amount to throwing routes to uncovered receivers or pass-catchers working one-on-one against defenders and that such work is “up to him, not critical.”

So really, like the poster above you said, Peyton is looking a lot better than he did in September but its just the smart route to go in shutting him down.

I took this article to mean the exact opposite cbrennan1188. So far we know that the fusion is in place. Peyton is able to throw now. He will likely get another 6-8 months of rehab in before the 2012 season starts. For me this changes a lot of what this team needs to do in April. For starters, this progress encourages me to think that we can focus on improving the team vs. looking for a new franchise QB. Potentially we could get Cleveland's 2 first round picks this year and their 1st round pick next year + possibly more in 2013 or 2014. This would put us in position to get that next franchise quarterback. With 8 picks in the 2011 draft we can focus on improving a team that has some major holes caused by aging players, free agents, or chronically injured players.

Do you guys seriously not see whats going on here?!

As much as i dislike Polian, and wish he would retire, the man DOES know his way around league rules.

By keeping Peyton OFF of the IR, he is allowed to workout with the team...which is a GREAT thing...

By saying that he can not practice and will not play this season, the team medical staff can easily say that Peyton "fails" his end of season physical...

By "failing" his physical, the NFL then allows the team to direct/participate in his offseason workouts, unimpeded by league rules, where as if he "passes" his physical, the team really cant do much with him until offseason camps open.

Maybe once you all have time to think about this, and let it sink in, you wont be so gloomy about whats going on here. Like i said, i dont especially like Polian...but this is a brilliant way to circumvent league rules, to allow all of the work and evaluation that they need before the draft and before his option comes due, while at the same time, leaving "doubt" over the situation enough to drive up the price for the #1 pick IF we did decide to trade it.

I took this article to mean the exact opposite cbrennan1188. So far we know that the fusion is in place. Peyton is able to throw now. He will likely get another 6-8 months of rehab in before the 2012 season starts. For me this changes a lot of what this team needs to do in April. For starters, this progress encourages me to think that we can focus on improving the team vs. looking for a new franchise QB. Potentially we could get Cleveland's 2 first round picks this year and their 1st round pick next year + possibly more in 2013 or 2014. This would put us in position to get that next franchise quarterback. With 8 picks in the 2011 draft we can focus on improving a team that has some major holes caused by aging players, free agents, or chronically injured players.

Both are fantastic points.

Also, didn't we just find out that Peyton was chucking passes in the 25-30 yard range yesterday, and with decent velocity? To me, that says he's doing everything right.

People need to remember, he's going to be playing without pain, and with some new and improved toys on the offensive line in 2012.

Just saw this article on ESPN...Addai is quoted as saying that "He's not throwing deep-level passes, but the short stuff is really good enough to play." http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7377266/joseph-addai-indianapolis-colts-says-peyton-manning-short-throws-were-game-ready

From Polian's and Addai's comments, I'm encouraged with PM's progress.

Coltsblue1844 hit the nail on the head....Polian is working the league rules to ensure that the Colts can continue evaluation PM on a consistence basis in January, February, and early March leading up to the contract decision.

Addai said that the throws had a lot of zip on them and that they were "game ready"...he didnt say anything about how deep the throws were...but Polian was quoted as saying that there were 30 passes of 25-30yds and 8 or 9 hand offs to the rb....he also said that the participants were Addai, Gonzo, Saturday and Evans....and that the workouts lasted just under an hour.

To me, 30 passes of 25-30yds + 9 handoffs in under an hour, with no arm fatigue and with good velocity...thats as much work as some entire games, let alone doing it in just under an hour.

I know some people and especially the media, like to focus on the "worst case" and the "negative" and the "controversial", because that will get much greater attention.

If you seen an article that said "Peyton Manning's rehab is going well, and he should be back under center for Indy next season"....or one that said "Peyton Manning likely done for career due to 3rd neck surgery in 19 months"....or one that said "Peyton Manning to the Jets?"....or "Most likely new destinations....teams that will be after Manning"...

Which will get the most attention...and which will go unnoticed? The media is after attention so they speculate, in order to drum up readers and publicity....just like last year when they all tried to say that Collie should retire, because he would face certain doom if he tried to play again. It's a bunch of nonsense, used to get readers and nothing more.

To ME, I think its safe to say that Peyton WILL in fact return and finish out his career and with the Colts. All of this speculation is nothing more than an annoyance.