Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Landon Collins fall to us?

There is a new mock draft available via SB Nation that has Landon Collins falling to the Colts. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/3/16/8219223/2015-nfl-mock-draft-free-agency 

While this mock draft is hardly definitive of what may transpire, I am curious if anyone is aware of reports of Collins' draft stock falling? It appears that questions about his coverage ability are the biggest knock against him, but given some of the premium deals the free agent safeties have received this offseason (see Ron Parker Chiefs) I would imagine teams might overdraft safeties (and defensive backs generally). 

Safety is obviously one of our biggest needs in the draft, and while I am generally hesitant to trade up, it may make sense to trade up in the first and giving up our 2nd or 3rd round pick to land a potentially marquee safety in Collins. 

I doubt he falls to us....... or...... EVERY mock draft (except one) that I have seen are WRONG......

... but... anything is possible......

I get this "feeling" that the Colts are going with the Safeties at hand...... and they MIGHT address it in round 4 on......

(For a later Adams replacement, and current STs, and depth)

At some point, you cant fill EVERY hole with FA or immediate draft....... you have to have some drafted players or UDFA, from last year, or the year before step it up.

I cant envision any situation where the Colts do anything in the first, but bolster the enormous holes in the front 7 on defense.......

There is a new mock draft available via SB Nation that has Landon Collins falling to the Colts. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2015/3/16/8219223/2015-nfl-mock-draft-free-agency 

While this mock draft is hardly definitive of what may transpire, I am curious if anyone is aware of reports of Collins' draft stock falling? It appears that questions about his coverage ability are the biggest knock against him, but given some of the premium deals the free agent safeties have received this offseason (see Ron Parker Chiefs) I would imagine teams might overdraft safeties (and defensive backs generally). 

Safety is obviously one of our biggest needs in the draft, and while I am generally hesitant to trade up, it may make sense to trade up in the first and giving up our 2nd or 3rd round pick to land a potentially marquee safety in Collins. 

I saw another mock on WalterFootball that had him falling to us at #29.

This may not be great news tho.  The concern is his ability in pass coverage...he has been torched by a couple of teams.

He might be a young LaRon Landry...great against the run, not so great against the pass.

Jaquiski Tartt of Samford, what do you guys think of him? At 6'1", 221 lbs, he fits the strong safety profile and with Pagano's coaching, I feel he can become the next Kam Chancellor that hits aggressively.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1761394/jaquiski-tartt

Thoughts???

I think everybody likes Tartt. I'd want to ease him into the lineup, though; not sure he's ready to cover in the NFL yet.

I think everybody likes Tartt. I'd want to ease him into the lineup, though; not sure he's ready to cover in the NFL yet.

The knock on Tartt is that he struggles in coverage as well. He is more raw than Collins from a technical standpoint. Plus, he may not be available for us in the 3rd round.

I still like Eric Rowe at safety. I have not heard much about his draft stock lately.

May I ask why everyone is so down on Collins? I watched a few bama games this year, and he looked good. Is there something I'm missing? Why don't we want this guy on our football team?

EDIT: I'm watching some video on him. He appears to be very impatient. He doesn't want to wait, needs to be right in the action. Those are just his football instincts, and could be easily coached otherwise.

He looks good in coverage, that's a plus

Even if he does fall to us, we need to pass on him.  ......we badly need interior DL help.  .....I'm hoping for Goldman or Brown...although Brown seems unlikely to fall.  ....If Goldman is there, he's ours.  ....I'll pass on Philips as well and take an OL, if Goldman or Brown are gone.  ....Flowers or Erving woud be a nice consolation prize.

I just watched Landon Collins yesterday. I'm not sure why we don't like him, to be honest.

He has range, size, toughness, he tackles well (an occasional miss, of course), he takes good angles in run support, and he has ball skills. I don't think he was tested a lot in coverage, so I can see why that's a concern, but I don't come away with the impression that he can't cover. I probably need to watch more of his film to have a well-formed opinion of his ability in coverage, but I wouldn't call it a liability at this point. I saw him flip and run with receivers several times.

Worst thing I can say about him is that he is prone to playing too shallow when he's in deep coverage, but I think that's a technique/coaching issue, not an ability issue. And as far as coaching issues go, that's pretty easy to correct.

I just watched Landon Collins yesterday. I'm not sure why we don't like him, to be honest.

He has range, size, toughness, he tackles well (an occasional miss, of course), he takes good angles in run support, and he has ball skills. I don't think he was tested a lot in coverage, so I can see why that's a concern, but I don't come away with the impression that he can't cover. I probably need to watch more of his film to have a well-formed opinion of his ability in coverage, but I wouldn't call it a liability at this point. I saw him flip and run with receivers several times.

Worst thing I can say about him is that he is prone to playing too shallow when he's in deep coverage, but I think that's a technique/coaching issue, not an ability issue. And as far as coaching issues go, that's pretty easy to correct.

He's also an Alabama DB, therefor he doesn't backpedal.

Understood, but If I'm taking a safety in the first round, he's going to have position flexibility. 

You wanted Lamarcus Joyner, didn't you?

College safeties generally can't cover like corners. Or at least they don't get the chance in college. You'd probably be better off converting a corner to safety. Josh Shaw and Jalen Collins seem like candidates.

You wanted Lamarcus Joyner, didn't you?

College safeties generally can't cover like corners. Or at least they don't get the chance in college. You'd probably be better off converting a corner to safety. Josh Shaw and Jalen Collins seem like candidates.

Yes I definitely wanted Joyner. And I'll take Ifo and move him to safety. 

I'm confused as to why everyone wants to get ask these strong safeties. From what I've seen we don't have a true free safety, that's what we really need.

My understanding is that we like our safeties to be interchangeable, so we do not have a true free safety. 

My understanding is that we like our safeties to be interchangeable, so we do not have a true free safety.

Ugh...I'd rather have a true free safety. I don't like having a jack-of-all-trades position, leaves to much chance for then to get burned.