Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is your favorite signing so far?

RockThatBlue

Definitely Andre Johnson, though I've liked all of Grigson's signings/re-signings.  Very solid GMing so far.  I'm not worried about the Safety or NT positions.  I expect a mid-round Safety and possibly no DL in the draft at all.  My guess is that he has three or four complete ILBs he likes in this draft (Perryman, Anthony, Hull, Heeney, and Taiwan Jones all seem like good guesses), and he'll pull the trigger as soon as he thinks they are good values.  The Round 1 vaule wil be a CB (Kevin Johnson, I hope). 

I think I'm getting to understand Grigson's philosophy of roster building.  In FA, he targets specific players that fit the system and still have good football ahead of them, then he doesn't mind overspending.  He's fairly wise about structuring the contracts, so he can get out of them before too awful long if the player isn't performing reasonably well.  In the draft, I think he truly tries to be flexible and stick to his draft board.  He can probably tell you how the draft is going to pan out, but if he's wrong, he'll switch up and take a player at a totally different position b/c he's on top of his board.  In general, I think he has ice in his veins.  We may all think that the team is desperately thin at Safety (as most of us do), but he won't mind coming out of the draft without drafting a Safety if his draft board falls otherwise.  Then he'll do his best to add talent after the draft (CB trades his first year, adding Adams last year, pirating final cuts for players other teams are trying to pass to the PS - like Nixon).  I don't think he's bothered at all by areas a lot of us are really concerned about.  Finally, I think he truly believes in developing unheralded prospects.  Guys like Kelcy Quarles, Jonnothan Harrison, Zach Kerr, and Winston Guy seem like Just-a-Guys to fans, but he knew they needed development, spent a year developing them, and he'll have faith that they are going to take an important role and play well. 

Frank Gore. I know he's not exactly a spring chicken anymore by NFL standards, but he runs tough, knows how to hit the hole, & he will be solid in blitz pickup assignments keeping Luck protected. 

I'm happy to finally see a proven running back out on the field. He can hit the smallest openings and gain yardage instead of being tackled in the back field. I'm excited! :thmup:

Frank Gore has been very professional throughout his career. This past year, however, he was more vocal than he usually has been. He publicly displayed his criticism of the offensive game plan and mentioned that he didn't particularly like sharing time with Hunter and then Hyde. He mentioned that it did not allow him to get into a groove as the game wore on and he criticized the Niners because they went from being a running team to a passing team which led to losses.

I like the signing, but I do think he has a point. A good RB usually needs carries to get into the groove of the game and see how the defense is playing against the run. I am afraid that with how we like to rotate our RBs he may encounter the same problem here. Of course, the rotation will help preserve him as the season wears on, so we have to consider both of the positives and negatives of this approach. Also, the Colts were a pass-happy team, but largely due to a lack of run game. We'll see how this works out soon enough.

Frank Gore has been very professional throughout his career. This past year, however, he was more vocal than he usually has been. He publicly displayed his criticism of the offensive game plan and mentioned that he didn't particularly like sharing time with Hunter and then Hyde. He mentioned that it did not allow him to get into a groove as the game wore on and he criticized the Niners because they went from being a running team to a passing team which led to losses.

I like the signing, but I do think he has a point. A good RB usually needs carries to get into the groove of the game and see how the defense is playing against the run. I am afraid that with how we like to rotate our RBs he may encounter the same problem here. Of course, the rotation will help preserve him as the season wears on, so we have to consider both of the positives and negatives of this approach. Also, the Colts were a pass-happy team, but largely due to a lack of run game. We'll see how this works out soon enough.

Do you have a link for any of the comments you are attributing to Gore?  I'm a 49ers season ticket holder and follow the team pretty closely.  The only thing I remember Gore saying that came anything close to what you attribute to him, is that he was pretty down after the ARI game where he only had 6 carries...but that was more about questioning what the 49ers' strategy was because none of the RBs were getting carries.  I think it was less than 10 carries for all RBs.  Some beat writers tried to suggest Gore was unhappy with his role, but Gore quickly clarified that he was unhappy with losing and not being given a chance to help the team win.

That said, I also believe that Gore chose the Colts because he wants upwards of 250 carries.  Gore is on record saying he wants two things in his career:  (1) win a superbowl; and (2) get at least 12,500 career yds to give him a chance to get in the HOF.  He really wants a BIG year this year, and he'll work tirelessly to make that happen.

Do you have a link for any of the comments you are attributing to Gore? I'm a 49ers season ticket holder and follow the team pretty closely. The only thing I remember Gore saying that came anything close to what you attribute to him, is that he was pretty down after the ARI game where he only had 6 carries...but that was more about questioning what the 49ers' strategy was because none of the RBs were getting carries. I think it was less than 10 carries for all RBs. Some beat writers tried to suggest Gore was unhappy with his role, but Gore quickly clarified that he was unhappy with losing and not being given a chance to help the team win.

That said, I also believe that Gore chose the Colts because he wants upwards of 250 carries. Gore is on record saying he wants two things in his career: (1) win a superbowl; and (2) get at least 12,500 career yds to give him a chance to get in the HOF. He really wants a BIG year this year, and he'll work tirelessly to make that happen.

Awesome! I live in the SF Bay Area and a close family friend was the CTO of the Forty Niners. He was responsible for designing the IT Infostructure for their new stadium. I was happy to attend many of their games. I even got to see the Colts win at Candlestick.

Back on topic, after the Niner's lost to the Raiders, Gore made some comments:

"Gore is echoing the words of his teammate, noting that it is simply hard to get into a rhythm with the type of offense San Francisco is running. After putting up three straight 1,000-yard seasons, Gore is suddenly splitting carries with rookie Carlos Hyde who is being touted as the future of the position. The 49ers had said they wanted to lower Gore's carries, but the running back is not happy with the 14.8 per game he is averaging.

"It's hard to get in a rhythm," Gore said. "As players, you have to be in a rhythm on the field to be successful. And it's been tough all year to get in a rhythm."

As a whole, the entire offense for the 49ers has struggled this season. Colin Kaepernick is not getting the throws off. Michael Crabtree has been inconsistent. As rumors surround Jim Harbaugh, uncertainty remains for the future of the team. - SportsWorld.com

This report was also discussed on KNBR680 and other outlets which is where I had initially heard about it.