Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

At this point I'd throw the 2nd rounder for Gipson...

We should definitely look into it. Gibson's young, in his prime, and one of the best ball hawking FS's in the league. He's what 24-25? He could be a cornerstone piece on our defense for years to come. We have to get a safety to put next to Adams and its not going to be McDonald. We'll either draft one in the 2nd or so, or we'll sign one. Why not go after Gibson? He's most likely better than any safety we could get in the draft.

We should definitely look into it. Gibson's young, in his prime, and one of the best ball hawking FS's in the league. He's what 24-25? He could be a cornerstone piece on our defense for years to come. We have to get a safety to put next to Adams and its not going to be McDonald. We'll either draft one in the 2nd or so, or we'll sign one. Why not go after Gibson? He's most likely better than any safety we could get in the draft.

No matter what the Colts offered him the Browns would match I would think. Trying and being able to pull the deal off is two different things. Cant over spend no matter.

At this point it looks like they're content with Mike Adams and Dewey McDonald. I'd actually really like to see what McDonald can do as a starter, although I'd definitely have a Plan B.

Agreed, I think they give McDonald a shot at the starting spot, given he does earn it. This safety class isn't one to be reaching on. I'd be surprised if we see a safety picked early. I think one gets picked up later (rounds 4-6) to be added as depth and possibly one picked up after cuts are made after camp.

I don't think we need to give away our 2nd round pick on a safety. I think you spend that pick on DL/LB, OL, or RB. I'm sure a solid FS prospect can be found between rounds 4-7.  The Colts drafted Antoine Bethea in the 6th round in 2006.  When you look at the major schools it appears the Safety class is weak, but you never know what you can find at some of the smaller schools or maybe also even undrafted FA.  I don't think Bethea was on anybodys radar back in 2006.  I certainly didn't know who he was when the Colts selected him.

I'm not for giving away picks at all. I mean we have to build our defense through the draft, but when you can get a young player of that caliber, I think you gotta look into it. Only because he's so young too btw. I wouldn't mind going after Damon Harrison either.

So in reality he'd cost us a 2nd plus 8m in cap space for the next 4-5 seasons. I think Grigson will draft two safeties, one early and one in the mid-rounds. Imagine having two starters locked in for the same length, but at 1/2 the cost, 3-4 m per season combined.

Say Thompson or Collins in the 1st, followed by Holliman or Smith the 3rd. I know Holliman has a soft reputation, but he might work well next to a physical SS if he is allowed to ball-hawk like he can. This would take our DB unit to the next level. Elite!

I'd at least look into it. Gipson was second in the league in turnovers last year (Mike Adams was 1st).

Gipson is miles better than any safety in this draft.

I'd at least make him an offer. Even if the Browns match it then it eats up more of their cap and we don't lose anything. 

I don't like the combination of having to sign someone to a big contract and having to give up a draft pick to do it.  It would cost the team both salary cap and a high draft pick.  I prefer to sign players that costs just one or the other.

Gipson is a solid safety from what I've seen.  But a lot of people want to find long term starters from other teams and that's not the way it's done in the NFL, nor do I think it is a formula for success.  I think you build your team thru the draft and fill holes with free agency.  Trades that work out as well as Vontae, "The Disease" Davis' are rare.

The gap between the contract that he would sign and a contract that Cleveland wouldn't match is probably pretty wide. It isn't like he would HAVE to accept any offer.....to get him interested it would have to be a pretty substantial offer....then to get Cleveland to balk...it would have to probably be a rediculous offer. Just isn't going to happen. It would be different if this guy was playing in NO or a cap strapped team that couldn't match a competitive offer. Just isn't going to happen but keep dreaming.

The rookie salary cap has made building through the draft an even higher priority.  As we've seen this season, free agency contracts consistently overpay players, many of whom are in the twilight of their careers (ahem).  If Grigson is the scouting guru everyone says he is, then the draft should be Indy's Golden Goose.  Take some of the best players available, with the option to trade them for more picks down the road.  Look no further than Seattle to see the value of clever drafting.