Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dustin

Scouting Profile: Arik Armstead, DT, Oregon

Previous Installments:

The RBs - Hub Post

The WRs - Hub Post

The Off-Ball LBs - Hub Post

The EDGEs - Hub Post

Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma

arik-armstead-ncaa-football-south-dakota

Games watched: vs FSU, vs OS, vs Texas

http://mockdraftable.com/player/4855/

The Good:

Plus size (6'7" 292 lbs) and athleticism. Explosion drills (broad and vertical jumps) off of the charts. Frame to add more weight if needed.

Arguably the highest ceiling interior D-lineman in the draft class. 

He's a raw player in technique, but people go overboard in their opinion's on his ability. He is a very good player who can win in a variety of ways, even if he needs refinement. 

Versatile. Lines up at 5-tech (mostly), 2-tech, and 3-tech regularly. Also stands up and plays EDGE in some packages.

Bullrush is incredible. Gets his hands into opposing offensive lineman's chest and drives legs with power. Good initial punch to send them off balance. 

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255768&gif=HeartyPolishedKrill

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255768&gif=CraftyTerrificHyracotherium

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255768&gif=FlawedQuestionableConch

You can see that athletic ability on this stunt (shows off good lateral agility; though he does pull up a little):

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255768&gif=JollySleepyAlaskanhusky

Shows ability to effectively use hands to split double-teams.

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255768&gif=BlushingColorlessHuman

Doesn't use swim move often, but is effective when he does

ex. http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=254963&gif=OptimisticKeenHypsilophodon

Lack of production is more about scheme than ability. Played in a defense that limited his pass rush abilities. Also consistently double-teamed. 

The Bad:

Ok at best play recognition. Sniffed out a few screens but fell for almost every trap-block. 

Plays too upright. Loses leverage the majority of the time and leads to him getting pushed around by inferior players.  

Length is a hindrance in him gaining leverage. Especially in conjunction with his upright playing style. 

Very raw. Needs refinement with technique and pass rush moves. Often times tries to just "out-athlete" the other player. 

Lunges and misses a lot of tackles. His production would have been much better if he could consistently finish plays. 

More a "finesse" player. Isn't going to stack or anchor. 

Always the last player on the line out of his stance. Needs to work on snap anticipation as it isn't a physical problem. 

Bad balance. Trips a lot. 

Conclusion: 

Armstead is a very talented, but unpolished player. If he ever hopes to play to his potential in the NFL, he'll have to fix things like his upright stance, hand usage, and lack of pass rush moves. Armstead is a very good athlete, so even if he only improves minimally in the pros, he'll still be an adequate player. Armstead is a prototypical 5-tech in the NFL. 

Projected Round: 1st

NFL Comparison: Ra'Shede Hageman, ATL

Seems a bit risky. With the last 2 1st round draft picks providing underwhelming play thus far, I'd rather draft more of a sure thing at 29, almost regardless of position.

After watching the videos the things I noticed is that he rarely ever gets blown back and he is almost always double teamed. The few times he was singled (against Florida State) he absolutely abused who he was up against.

Just to add, Superman showed a chart of all the combine attendees and Armstead was the worst rated 5 tech there. I'd even say that it's somewhat irrelevant when it comes to how he's going to play in the NFL, but it's still a red flag when he was supposedly one of the most athletic Dlineman there. Still too risky in my opinion for a first round pick. I don't think we need to go the Werner route again and HOPE this guy figures it out.

Funny thing about that comparison is that I really think I'd we had our first round pick in 2014, We would have taken Hageman.

Grigson and Pagano both desperately want a game wrecker for the interior of the defensive line. Armstead was my original first round pick for us in my first mock. I'd he's there round one, Grigson won't pass.

I would rather Jordan Phillips, but I would be happy with Armstead if he falls. A lot of mocks have someone like the Bengals taking him. He was constantly double teamed in college, and he'd bolster our line for sure

I want either Armstead or Hardison on this team next year. Then get a quality NT and this DL is set.

If Armstead falls to us, let him continue to fall. We need impact players not projects.

Almost any Draft pick is a project to an extent. All of them have improvements to make and refinement that they could use in their game. Your taking a risk to some extent on any player you take. Some alot more than others, but none the less a risk.Armstead is raw but he oozes with potential. And I think he could come in and still have an impact early. He's strong and just abuses offensive linemen 1on1 and collapses the pocket. He's got a nasty bull rush. If he's there I hope we strongly consider him. Id like Phillips or Goldman too though.

Almost any Draft pick is a project to an extent. All of them have improvements to make and refinement that they could use in their game. Your taking a risk to some extent on any player you take. Some alot more than others, but none the less a risk.Armstead is raw but he oozes with potential. And I think he could come in and still have an impact early. He's strong and just abuses offensive linemen 1on1 and collapses the pocket. He's got a nasty bull rush. If he's there I hope we strongly consider him. Id like Phillips or Goldman too though.

Werner oozed potential as well and how has that ended.  We need an impact player in the 1st round this year, some one who can start and improve the team day 1.  We do not need a project with our 1st round pick, again.  We are not in the position to take a project in the 1st round yet.

IMO, if Armstead is there, at our pick, in the 1st round, trade back, and let Armstead continue to fall.

Werner oozed potential as well and how has that ended. We need an impact player in the 1st round this year, some one who can start and improve the team day 1. We do not need a project with our 1st round pick, again. We are not in the position to take a project in the 1st round yet.

IMO, if Armstead is there, at our pick, in the 1st round, trade back, and let Armstead continue to fall.

So who's a guarenteed impact player right away then....? No player is a guarenteed impact player!!! They gotta step on the field at the this level and orove themselves. You're taking a risk with any player you pick...bottom line. We could take Phillips or Goldman and they not live up to expectations at all. Risk is just a part of the game... especially as you get later in the draft.

Seems a bit risky. With the last 2 1st round draft picks providing underwhelming play thus far, I'd rather draft more of a sure thing at 29, almost regardless of position.

No such thing as a sure thing, especially in the draft

i'll say again what I said earlier.....just based on the videos shown, he was double teamed constantly....and when he was one on one...he domintated who was blocking him more often than not.

So who's a guarenteed impact player right away then....? No player is a guarenteed impact player!!! They gotta step on the field at the this level and orove themselves. You're taking a risk with any player you pick...bottom line. We could take Phillips or Goldman and they not live up to expectations at all. Risk is just a part of the game... especially as you get later in the draft.

You are correct as far as you went.  Yes, there is risk when drafting in all rounds.  in the 1st round, you are looking for, as some here on the forum say, a low rick and high reward player.  You could almost say the same for the 2nd round.  starting in the 3rd, most teams are willing to take more risk on a player.

There are impact players in the 1st round (see Luck and players from other teams drafted in the 1st round who are making a big impact on their teams).  The problem is, we are seeing a lot of reaching for pass rushers (DE converting to OLB) that aren't making it.  IMO, it seems for every DE that makes the conversion, there are 4-5 that doesn't.

As for guaranteed, in life, only Death is guaranteed.

Good prospect, but he is far from a safe pick.

Not what I want in a 1st round pick.