Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

a letter from reggie

CR91

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this love/hate relationship with getting too attached to cheering for certain players.

It is so hard for me to come to terms with certain players no longer being on the team. I was surprised and crushed when Marvin was let go, particularly when he wasn' t picked up by another team. 

With Peyton, it was hard, but somewhat easier to deal with since he continued to play.

I really respect Reggie for returning to the team when he did. I wish the team would have shown the same loyalty to him and let him play one more year.

I have this love/hate relationship with getting too attached to cheering for certain players.

It is so hard for me to come to terms with certain players no longer being on the team. I was surprised and crushed when Marvin was let go, particularly when he wasn' t picked up by another team. 

With Peyton, it was hard, but somewhat easier to deal with since he continued to play.

I really respect Reggie for returning to the team when he did. I wish the team would have shown the same loyalty to him and let him play one more year.

This^^^^^

When Grigson & Pagano took over the team, the mantra was building a "FAMILY" atmosphere, and Reggie is and has been the patriarch of this family, at least since Peyton's departure, (I'd even go as far as argue that while 18 is one of the greatest QBs ever, even during his tenure, 87 was still a good portion of the heart & soul of the team)...

So if you REALLY want to truly uphold that family dynamic, a mantra I am sure is still used in the locker room, do your patriarch a solid and give him a proper farewell season...

No one will ever convince me that Duron Carter will be more productive than Reggie would be this following season, or that the $ Reggie would draw would hamstring the team from making other accusations, so the "it's the right move argument doesn't hold water in my book..."

anyways, I'm holding out a shred of hope that the correct decision is made here....

done ranting...

I second every positive post in this thread & every post to follow...

Reggie is and has been my favorite Colt to have ever played the game...

Gonna miss 87 ...

I agree with you he's my all time favorite Colt.  No one will ever be what Reggie Wayne is.

I know it was a logic based move but we're going deep into the playoffs this next year and he styed with us when we had nothing

..we're about to make a run at the big game...and I wanted Reggie to be there./I don't want to see him forced to retire when he cant get an offer but I dont want to see him play for anyone else..

The only team I'd like to see pick him up is Denver but that's a dead end, too because Indy-Denver may be the AFC title game.

Its sad

I am so proud to be a Colts fan because of the people that represent this team. Reggie is/was/and will always be a class act. Heartbroken that he wont be part of our next ring, Only other player I ever shed a tear when they left was Peyton. Great players, but above all, great men and role models. 

It's not "thank us" it is than you Reggie, I will never forget that TD in SB after Hester returned that kick for a TD. Set the tone and was always there in the biggest games. Took this team on his back in Andrew's first year, we wouldnt be where we are right now without him. 

It almost feels wrong to not bring him back for 1 more shot if he feels he has it in him, after staying here 3 years ago when no one thought he would. My 87 jersey will always have a place in my home.

Thank you Reggie, you will be truly missed.

This^^^^^

When Grigson & Pagano took over the team, the mantra was building a "FAMILY" atmosphere, and Reggie is and has been the patriarch of this family, at least since Peyton's departure, (I'd even go as far as argue that while 18 is one of the greatest QBs ever, even during his tenure, 87 was still a good portion of the heart & soul of the team)...

So if you REALLY want to truly uphold that family dynamic, a mantra I am sure is still used in the locker room, do your patriarch a solid and give him a proper farewell season...

No one will ever convince me that Duron Carter will be more productive than Reggie would be this following season, or that the $ Reggie would draw would hamstring the team from making other accusations, so the "it's the right move argument doesn't hold water in my book..."

anyways, I'm holding out a shred of hope that the correct decision is made here....

done ranting...

Unfortunately, the NFL, as the saying goes, stand for Not For Long. No matter how teams try to sell themselves as a family, or brothers, or a community, they are in fact a business. The business of it was, Reggie has become too hamstrung by age and injury to continue to get results at an acceptable efficiency. The only sound football move for a team  that wants to win now, was to let him go.

It's harsh, I don't necessarily feel good about it, but that's the world we live in today. Productivity before sentimentality.

Can we please, for the sake of sanity and all that is good about the colts, make a concerted effort to have this longer than the 'Trent Richardson Released' thread

Bearer of bad news number 2 for me, that's an ongoing story that's just going to continue to blow up, especially with Trent doing his damndest to burn all the bridges and bash the Colts as an organization as he's dragged out kicking and screaming. That could very well be a mega thread before its said and done.

Is it bad that this made me a little emotional? Reggie Wayne will remain as one of my favorite Colts of all time.

That letter was just a realization that he isn't coming back to the Colts. Best of luck to him in his future endeavors

Future HOf'er, class act. Goodbye Reggie! 

Unfortunately, the NFL, as the saying goes, stand for Not For Long. No matter how teams try to sell themselves as a family, or brothers, or a community, they are in fact a business. The business of it was, Reggie has become too hamstrung by age and injury to continue to get results at an acceptable efficiency. The only sound football move for a team  that wants to win now, was to let him go.

It's harsh, I don't necessarily feel good about it, but that's the world we live in today. Productivity before sentimentality.

I get all of this, & I fully understand Reggie was starting to have mounting injuries, but like I said earlier, no one is going to convince me that he has slowed to the point where his contribution wouldn't be worthy of a #4 WR, Reggie had 60 receptions for 700 yards in 2014, there are plenty of WRs on active rosters who would be very happy with those numbers. As it stands now Duron Carter is the Colts #4, I don't really see a scenario where Carter is going to 'out-perform' what Reggie is still capable of in that #4 role, & I don't see where Carter's development is such the pressing issue, because if that were  the case, why let DaRick go??? (granted he was prone to bone-headed decisions)

anyways, I still think 87 has a farewell season in him,

I get the team is moving on, but with the addition of AJ I don't see where Reggie in a legit #4 role would've hampered or held the team back in any way...

If this team in the coming years wins a title, Irsay should give a ring to Reggie, as he did with Edge.  Had Reggie gone elsewhere in 2012, this could have gone completely differently.  For Luck's first 1 and 1/2 years in Indy, Reggie was the MVP of the team. The Packers game 2012 is the greatest game I ever saw Reggie, or any Colt receiver, play. 

Should Reggie's #87 be retired?

Absolutely should be retired, he's a HOF in my eyes.  The Colts have had a lot of players come and go, and most of the time it is no big deal to me.  Not Reggie though, absolutely love that guy.

these last 3 years really separated reggie and peyton in my book to be honest. reggie is hands down my favorite player ever, its so crazy that he never had the physical advantages like most of the elite receivers but had straight SKILL. he was seriously such a beauty to watch catching the craziest passes, whether it was a 1 hander, a sidelined catch, dudes gloves were magnetic to the ball lol it was just amazing he was like an offensive ballhawk in a way. no corner has ever given him a hard time consistently throughout his career. probably cromartie but thats about it.

him sticking around with the hometown discount with the risk (HA SIKE!) of going through a rebuild rather than the RELOAD phase was one of the most selfless things he did for the team and its future. i really wish he didnt have to go out from injury and could have done it on his own, but whats done is done.

thank you reggie!!!!!!!!!!

It is difficult to find the words to say...we owe him so much.

It was Reggie more than anyone who helped make the Colts transition from the Peyton era to the Andrew era so smooth and successful.

Could not agree more.  Without Reggie, Luck has no where near the rookie season he had.  He is the ultimate Mentor!!  All of the rookies owe him a great deal.  Time for T.Y. to carry on the torch!!