Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Division

Mr.Debonair

Honestly I think the jags

Why? Julius Thomas? I dont think he will be as big a headache for opposing D's when 18 isnt throwing him the ball or with DT and Emanual Sanders to take attention away.... (See Erik Decker in NY for reference)

Bortles might be good in another 2-3 years, but for now he is still going to make a lot of mistakes.

1 TE isnt going to make a 3-13 team all of a sudden a problem for us.

Why? Julius Thomas? I dont think he will be as big a headache for opposing D's when 18 isnt throwing him the ball or with DT and Emanual Sanders to take attention away.... (See Erik Decker in NY for reference)

Bortles might be good in another 2-3 years, but for now he is still going to make a lot of mistakes.

1 TE isnt going to make a 3-13 team all of a sudden a problem for us.

I don't think it's just Julius Thomas. Their defense gave us lots of problems in the matchup in Indy last season until the offensive line decided to protect Luck.

Out of everyone in the division, they have the most "complete" team roster to compete with us. Even so, it's still not that close.

Titans are beggining a rebuild.  Jags are in one. Texans have no qb 

I wouldn't underestimate Mallett.  At least not yet, he has the arm to be a good QB in the league.  There is only so much you can learn on the bench and he languished behind Tom Brady for 3 years then got traded to the Texans after camp (so he didn't have the time to learn the playbook) and then got injured when he finally got on the field.

Don't get me wrong, no guarantees on him.  But with the Texans defense and Arian Foster, he doesn't really have to great to make them a dangerous team.  

I wouldn't underestimate Mallett.  At least not yet, he has the arm to be a good QB in the league.  There is only so much you can learn on the bench and he languished behind Tom Brady for 3 years then got traded to the Texans after camp (so he didn't have the time to learn the playbook) and then got injured when he finally got on the field.

Don't get me wrong, no guarantees on him.  But with the Texans defense and Arian Foster, he doesn't really have to great to make them a dangerous team.  

Great arm, no mobility.  And that's not good if you're ability to stay healthy is questionable.  But I agree, their QB, whoever he is, has to just manage a game.  They have the D and decent pieces around him.

I think they're #2, the Jags are improving but a long way from being a contender, and I don't know what the heck the Titans are doing.  Watch them be the breakout team now!

Even if Mallett is an answer at QB, at this point the Texans have DeAndre Hopkins and nobody as receiving targets. They'll be a run first team relying on Arian Foster to stay healthy all year and their defense to win games. 

Colts obviously have the best offense but they may have the worst defense in the division. Texans already have a great defense, Jags defense is legit and I like what the Titans have done in free agency. Colts will win division but it will not be a cake walk.

Even if Mallett is an answer at QB, at this point the Texans have DeAndre Hopkins and nobody as receiving targets. They'll be a run first team relying on Arian Foster to stay healthy all year and their defense to win games. 

Plenty of time in the draft and FA to get a legit WR2.  And finding the answer at quarterback is a lot harder then finding the answer everywhere else, including receiver.  

If Mallet is the answer at QB (and don't get me wrong it is an if) then the Texans are going to contest this division very strongly.  But without a QB, there is only so much Watt can do since he doesn't play quarterback. . . Although honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they havn't tried him out there.  

No not because of him. ... I just think they're better than Tennessee and Texans... The one player to me that made Houston dangerous offensively is now a Colt.. watt is a monster but he can only do so much on a team with no qb... Tennessee is in a complete rebuild. .

I still see the Texans as more of a threat than the Jags, even without AJ. Don't forget about a certain player named Arian Foster and what he can do and historically does do against us in particular. That is enough to open up a passing game for any QB.

Don't forget about Clowney, he was injured most of last year. He might have a bit of a chip on his shoulder because of that and I think we'll see more of him and Watt pairing up and wreaking havoc. 

The Texans are by far the most complete opposing team within our division, even with their QB question mark.... (The Jags and Titans are no better off at QB if that is your argument).

Nobody really, but there are some possibilities. For instance the Jags. If Bortles comes out improved, and turns into a good young QB then they would be a threat. I mean they have some players on offense with Julius Thomas, Alan Robinson, Marquis Lee, Justin Blackman should be back, and Hurns. The Titans. If they get Mariotta, and he comes in and plays well would be a possibility. By the way, I don't really see either of these things happening. Just possibilities.

This guy was a beast at Arkansas. If they give him a chance barring injury (and from the past) he could prove to be very dangerous.

This guy was a beast at Arkansas. If they give him a chance barring injury (and from the past) he could prove to be very dangerous.

He's the biggest X-factor I'm worried about.  Texans won 9 games with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  All he has to do is be a little bit better. . . say Alex Smith level or something and they are a dangerous team because of all that's around them.  

If he's any good then we can't count on walking away with the AFC Scouth.

Colts obviously have the best offense but they may have the worst defense in the division. Texans already have a great defense, Jags defense is legit and I like what the Titans have done in free agency. Colts will win division but it will not be a cake walk.

Worst defense...??? No!!!

Tennessee defense:

Pts 29th

Yds 27th

Pass yds 15th

Rush Yds 31st

Jaguars defense:

Pts 26th

Yds 26th

Pass Yds 22nd

Rush Yds 27th

Colts Defense:

Pts 19th

Yds 11th

Pass Yds 12th

Rush Yds 18th

Houston Defense:

Pts 7th

Yds 16th

Pass Yds 21st

Rush Yds 10th

So just by looking at the general numbers we DEFINITELY NOT the worst defense in our division!!! And you take away the Pittsburgh scoring 50 on us and Dallas over 40 as well as NE then our Pts allowed probably drops a bit. Those 3 games blew up our Pts Allowed. We are not horrible but definitely can get better. You look at Houstons stats and overall they are not that much better, granted these are just the overall numbers.

Tennessee defense:

Pts 29th

Yds 27th

Pass yds 15th

Rush Yds 31st

Jaguars defense:

Pts 26th

Yds 26th

Pass Yds 22nd

Rush Yds 27th

Colts Defense:

Pts 19th

Yds 11th

Pass Yds 12th

Rush Yds 18th

Houston Defense:

Pts 7th

Yds 16th

Pass Yds 21st

Rush Yds 10th

So just by looking at the general numbers we DEFINITELY NOT the worst defense in our division!!! And you take away the Pittsburgh scoring 50 on us and Dallas over 40 as well as NE then our Pts allowed probably drops a bit. Those 3 games blew up our Pts Allowed. We are not horrible but definitely can get better. You look at Houstons stats and overall they are not that much better, granted these are just the overall numbers.

Umm, I said MAY have the worst and you showing last seasons numbers means little towards next season given the amount of changes to all of these teams.

Tennessee defense:

Pts 29th

Yds 27th

Pass yds 15th

Rush Yds 31st

Jaguars defense:

Pts 26th

Yds 26th

Pass Yds 22nd

Rush Yds 27th

Colts Defense:

Pts 19th

Yds 11th

Pass Yds 12th

Rush Yds 18th

Houston Defense:

Pts 7th

Yds 16th

Pass Yds 21st

Rush Yds 10th

That's because Houston's defense is largely propped up by the play of Watt. Their secondary tends to grade out terribly. They added Rahim Moore at Safety in Free Agency, which should help a bit, but their corners still tend to get sent to the burn ward if Watt can't get it done in time.

That's because Houston's defense is largely propped up by the play of Watt. Their secondary tends to grade out terribly. They added Rahim Moore at Safety in Free Agency, which should help a bit, but their corners still tend to get sent to the burn ward if Watt can't get it done in time.

Yep..Alot of their D depends on Watt causing havoc.

Yep..Alot of their D depends on Watt causing havoc.

Adding Crennel as D coordinator may provide some better schemes for Houston going forward, but at this point they are pretty well relying on the draft to get better. As it stands, they are largely going in to 2015 with the same roster they had at the end of last season, with the exceptions of Adding Moore, losing Johnson, and hopefully having a healthy Clowney.

Umm, I said MAY have the worst and you showing last seasons numbers means little towards next season given the amount of changes to all of these teams.

It shows that we weren't that bad! And those teams may be taking steps to improve BUT so are we!!! We got Cole coming in as well as Mathis coming back. Both of those guys have the potential to cause major problems for offenses. And if they do, that in turn is gonna make our secondary even better and the D in general. Its not like only the other teams will improve.

Adding Crennel as D coordinator may provide some better schemes for Houston going forward, but at this point they are pretty well relying on the draft to get better. As it stands, they are largely going in to 2015 with the same roster they had at the end of last season, with the exceptions of Adding Moore, losing Johnson, and hopefully having a healthy Clowney.

Yeah to me unless they nab a stud WR... their offense may be worse and relying on Foster to stay healthy is big risk. As of right now they will be relying very very heavily on that D to win games.

It shows that we weren't that bad! And those teams may be taking steps to improve BUT so are we!!! We got Cole coming in as well as Mathis coming back. Both of those guys have the potential to cause major problems for offenses. And if they do, that in turn is gonna make our secondary even better and the D in general. Its not like only the other teams will improve.

If Mathis gets back to his old self then the Colts are a lot better but that's a long shot and I wouldn't bet on it happening.

If Mathis gets back to his old self then the Colts are a lot better but that's a long shot and I wouldn't bet on it happening.

He doesn't have to be exactly his old self and I'm nit expecting him to be. But If he could get 10-12 sacks that would be good. Cole could reasonably get 10...that would be solid. Plus you got Newsome deveoping and Werner although Im not ever expecting big sack numbers from him. We have options though. Biggest thing we need right now is a solid young NT.