Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR depth

SouthernCal

1) TY

2) AJ

3) Moncrief

4) Duron

5) Dorsett (wishful thinking)

I'd be stoked if the Colts drafted Phillip Dorsett.  He's another burner built similar to T.Y., although Hilton has more reliable hands.  The problem is that Dorsett is projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round by several major draft sites, and I doubt Grigson will spend another middle-round pick for a 5th WR/KR.

There is another speed demon who might be a late-round gem, Chris Conley of Georgia.  This kid is 6'-2", 213 lbs, and ran a 4.35 forty.  He also had the highest vertical jump (45") at the combine.   Only Jamarcus Nelson and Phillip Dorsett ran faster, but those two are much smaller and lighter.  The only other WR of comparable height and weight who ran as fast?  Kevin White of West Virginia, an elite first-rounder.  Conley is not as talented, nor as heralded, but it didn't help his stock that he played on a run-heavy Georgia offense which limited his receiving opportunities.  He' ll need coaching up to improve his routes and refine his techniques, but you can't really teach 4.35 speed or 45" vertical.  He's worth a 6th or 7th round flier.

I'd rather see them keep Whalen and not spend a draft pick on another WR.  He's at least as productive as anything you could pick up in the late 5th - 7th rounds, and there are some pressing needs on Defense that have to be addressed.  Moncrief was starting to make his presence felt as last season went along, and while Carter is still pretty green, he could turn out to be a contributor.  It doesn't do any good to score 35 points per game if you're giving up 40, so I'm guessing the Colts go all in on defense in the early rounds, and they could still possibly pick up some defensive beef on the hoof in FA.

Actually, Whalen has shown he can`t drive a DB off of him and he is lackluster at best as a returner.

We need a speedy slot receiver/return man, who can get himself open, in a serious way.

I would like to think that Carter and Moncreif can learn a thing or two about running routes and making contested catches from watching AJ...

Carter needs to gain some weight, but could be the one with the most to gain from sharing the wr room with the absolute prototype of a big receiver. Johnson is really, really good at using his size and has already stated that he isn't above helping the young guys...

I think we are done in FA already. With not too much cap space left to sign anyone (and some mega deals that we will have to make next year) we will probably address anything through the draft.

It may be that nearer to the end of camp, if someone like Greg Jennings is still floating around, he might take a cheap deal to sit low on the depth chart for the chance to chase another ring and mentor the guys... with the off chance that he might get called into duty due to injuries.

Actually, Whalen has shown he can`t drive a DB off of him and he is lackluster at best as a returner.

We need a speedy slot receiver/return man, who can get himself open, in a serious way.

If there is no more room for Whalen on the Roster, then so be it. That means that we've added talent at the receiver position. 

I agree that Whalen isn't as productive versus man coverage, but he is very good at identifying the holes in zone coverage. He is able to get open and move the chains. (This sounds easy but many receivers struggle identifying coverage while running their routes). So he does add value in certain situations. It's up to the coaches to put the players in position to succeed.