Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SaturdayAllDay's First Ever Mock! v2.0

Colts Offseason/ Mock 2015 2.0

With the first day and a half of free agency behind us, we now have a better look at what are draft strategy may be. As it stands we do not have much cap space left (sitting at around 10M based on speculated terms with Langford, Adams and AJ). We still have a few players that can be dropped to give us enough space to make a run at a player or two.

Remaining Cap ~10M

Cuts

Thomas                     - Saves 3.2m

Richardson                - Saves 3.1m

Cribbs                        -Saves .9M

Projected Cap – 16.2M

Resign

Adams                                                -2yrs 5M Cap Hit 2.5M RESIGNED 2YRS (2015 ~2m)

Remaining Cap                14.2M

Free Agents

Terrance Knighton – 4 yrs – 30M – 2015 Cap hit 7M

Kendrick Lewis – 2 yrs – 4M – 2015 Cap Hit 2M

Remaining Cap                 5.2M

Draft

1—Jordan Phillips – DT – We need to beef up our D line, and this guy will do the trick nicely. If we do not secure Knighton, this pick becomes almost a must for us.  Cap 1.32M

Previous Pick Paul Dawson – ILB

2- Cody Prewitt – FS- I think he may be gone by now, but if by some chance he is, this is the pick we need to make. He would give our back end a playmaker that can rotate in with Kendricks and Adams. Cap .65M     Previous Pick - Cody Prewitt – FS

3- Henry Anderson – DT/DE – Can play multiple positions along the line. He has surprising quickness for a player of his size. He is our replacement for Redding in the D line rotation. This pick completes our D-Line (Jones, Phillips, Knighton starting with Langford and Anderson able to fill in along the line) Cap .6M   Previous Pick Mike Davis – RB

4- Taiwan Jones – ILB – With our D line solid, we need to work on getting a thumper at ILB to clean up what the D Line gives up. Jones is a tackling machine that will help ensure we never get run over again. Cap .55M   Previous Pick Henry Anderson – DT/DE

5-Corey Robinson – OT – A decent looking run blocker to serve as insurance in case Cherilus doesn’t make it back 100%. Could use a little work in the pass protection area, but if we aren’t forced to start him right away he could be a solid RT down the line.   Cap .48M

Previous Pick Deontay Greenberry – WR

6- Cam Thomas – CB – Physical Corner. Great in the run game. Not a polished prospect, but learning from our solid group of CBs he could be a solid contributor down the road. Cap .46M

Previous Pick Cam Thomas – CB

6- Deontay Greenberry – WR –His snub from the combine hurts his draft stock. His loss is our gain (and eventually his gain). He can learn behind Dre and TY. At this point in the draft his suspect route running and drops are worth the risk. He may not even make the roster based on the talent we already have, but is a possible candidate for the PS. Cap .46M

Previous Pick Blake Sims – QB

7-  Tevin McDonald – FS- A flyer on a player with some upside. Safety is a position of need, and we would only have Lewis and Adams for two seasons. McDonald could possibly be groomed as one of the replacements. Cap .45M

Previous Pick Brett Boyko – OT

Cap After Draft Picks – .23M

While this set up leaves us with a pretty solid team, after factoring in what Adams will make, it will leave us with no cap space should something happen during the season. If we absolutely needed the cap we would have to look into cutting players like Walden or Lance Louis. Other options might arise such as Mathis or Cherilus if their injuries are too much for them to come back healthy (these two players could also be restructured to give us some breathing room). The alternative to this would be to not sign Knighton and go after a smaller name Defensive Lineman to join the rotation with Anderson and Langford.

Thoughts?

I don't think you left enough cap space for the draft and UDFAs.

Agreed. Which is unfortunately starting to make me wonder if we go after Knighton with the current money we have. To do so we would have to ditch someone (Louis, walden and/or cherilus) or restructure someone just to make it happen.

I think we have a little more then 10M right now, love the mock though. But with the week class, I'd rather not reach for Prewitt, and rather draft a different position (ILB, RB, OG) in the 2nd then not reach for a S in the 3rd.

It all depends how it goes in the draft but last year the safety class seemed to go earlier then expected so I had that in mind when I did this.

I think we have a little more then 10M right now, love the mock though. But with the week class, I'd rather not reach for Prewitt, and rather draft a different position (ILB, RB, OG) in the 2nd then not reach for a S in the 3rd.

Overthecap has us at 23.7M not counting butler 2m, Adams 2m, Langford 4m and Aj 7M. That puts us below 10 if the current Speculations are correct.

Colts Offseason/ Mock 2015 2.0

With the first day and a half of free agency behind us, we now have a better look at what are draft strategy may be. As it stands we do not have much cap space left (sitting at around 10M based on speculated terms with Langford, Adams and AJ). We still have a few players that can be dropped to give us enough space to make a run at a player or two.

Remaining Cap ~10M

Cuts

Thomas                     - Saves 3.2m

Richardson                - Saves 3.1m

Cribbs                        -Saves .9M

Projected Cap – 16.2M

Resign

Adams                                                -2yrs 5M Cap Hit 2.5M RESIGNED 2YRS (2015 ~2m)

Remaining Cap                14.2M

Free Agents

Terrance Knighton – 4 yrs – 30M – 2015 Cap hit 7M

Kendrick Lewis – 2 yrs – 4M – 2015 Cap Hit 2M

Remaining Cap                 5.2M

Draft

1—Jordan Phillips – DT – We need to beef up our D line, and this guy will do the trick nicely. If we do not secure Knighton, this pick becomes almost a must for us.  Cap 1.32M

Previous Pick Paul Dawson – ILB

2- Cody Prewitt – FS- I think he may be gone by now, but if by some chance he is, this is the pick we need to make. He would give our back end a playmaker that can rotate in with Kendricks and Adams. Cap .65M     Previous Pick - Cody Prewitt – FS

3- Henry Anderson – DT/DE – Can play multiple positions along the line. He has surprising quickness for a player of his size. He is our replacement for Redding in the D line rotation. This pick completes our D-Line (Jones, Phillips, Knighton starting with Langford and Anderson able to fill in along the line) Cap .6M   Previous Pick Mike Davis – RB

4- Taiwan Jones – ILB – With our D line solid, we need to work on getting a thumper at ILB to clean up what the D Line gives up. Jones is a tackling machine that will help ensure we never get run over again. Cap .55M   Previous Pick Henry Anderson – DT/DE

5-Corey Robinson – OT – A decent looking run blocker to serve as insurance in case Cherilus doesn’t make it back 100%. Could use a little work in the pass protection area, but if we aren’t forced to start him right away he could be a solid RT down the line.   Cap .48M

Previous Pick Deontay Greenberry – WR

6- Cam Thomas – CB – Physical Corner. Great in the run game. Not a polished prospect, but learning from our solid group of CBs he could be a solid contributor down the road. Cap .46M

Previous Pick Cam Thomas – CB

6- Deontay Greenberry – WR –His snub from the combine hurts his draft stock. His loss is our gain (and eventually his gain). He can learn behind Dre and TY. At this point in the draft his suspect route running and drops are worth the risk. He may not even make the roster based on the talent we already have, but is a possible candidate for the PS. Cap .46M

Previous Pick Blake Sims – QB

7-  Tevin McDonald – FS- A flyer on a player with some upside. Safety is a position of need, and we would only have Lewis and Adams for two seasons. McDonald could possibly be groomed as one of the replacements. Cap .45M

Previous Pick Brett Boyko – OT

Cap After Draft Picks – .23M

While this set up leaves us with a pretty solid team, after factoring in what Adams will make, it will leave us with no cap space should something happen during the season. If we absolutely needed the cap we would have to look into cutting players like Walden or Lance Louis. Other options might arise such as Mathis or Cherilus if their injuries are too much for them to come back healthy (these two players could also be restructured to give us some breathing room). The alternative to this would be to not sign Knighton and go after a smaller name Defensive Lineman to join the rotation with Anderson and Langford.

Thoughts?

First thought,  if you're saying we're only going to have roughly 250k on the cap after all is said and done,  then it's a complete non-starter.

All teams have millions left.     You need it for post-draft free agents and the other free agents that you sign during the course of the season.

Teams typically leave about 5-10 million for all of that.

As for the players,  I think you'll have to flip-flop Robinson and take him in R4 and try for Jones in R5 and be very lucky if either would be available there....

Oh, and just noticed....    no RB from this deep and talented RB draft class?    I don't think that happens.

So we need a three headed rushing attack vs vital pcs to the defense? We just brought gore in and Herron played well enough to be a number two. We have bigger needs atm.

im saying the draft is deep and if one gets hurt were back to where we were last year. I'm all for a defense in the draft , but I see there's a wr in the mock and he'll be a 5 - 6 option behind carter.

im saying the draft is deep and if one gets hurt were back to where we were last year. I'm all for a defense in the draft , but I see there's a wr in the mock and he'll be a 5 - 6 option behind carter.

Fair point. I would be fine getting a Rb. Just not at the expense of the picks you wanted (2-4). sixth round would be a good place to grab one.

First thought, if you're saying we're only going to have roughly 250k on the cap after all is said and done, then it's a complete non-starter.

All teams have millions left. You need it for post-draft free agents and the other free agents that you sign during the course of the season.

Teams typically leave about 5-10 million for all of that.

As for the players, I think you'll have to flip-flop Robinson and take him in R4 and try for Jones in R5 and be very lucky if either would be available there....

Oh, and just noticed.... no RB from this deep and talented RB draft class? I don't think that happens.

Like I have said I think we will have to Make move or two before we go ahead with Knighton. And I Would be perfectly fine with grabbing a Rb instead of Greenberry. Kind of an oversight on my part. maybe I'm just not ready to give up on Ballard yet.