Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjorn Werner as a 3-4 DE?

Wesk7

I was just reading a article on Bleacher report on Trent Cole and it mentioned potentially having Werner bulk up some and play de. That got me wondering. Could that be a real option? How do you guys think he would do? He moved from a 4-3 de to a 3-4 olb already. How much does he weigh? 270? 280?

No, let him stay at OLB, he will have to put on a ton of weight to play as a DE in the 3-4 defense. I think he is better suited as a 4-3 DE but he is good against the run in the 3-4 if he can develop more pass rush moves and counter rush moves he can be much more effective pressuring the QB. 

Werner is shaping up to be an Erik Walden type....good edge setter with some decent pass rushing ability....that's where is value to the team is...hence why they brought in Trent Cole...

This....

Does anyone remember way back when we drafted him and he was projected into being a SAM Backer for us. Injuries in 2013 forced him into learning the rush role at the same time and then with Matthis going down last year he was the rush backer a role he's not ideally suited to being an out and out pass rusher. Add in his own injuries that have hampered his development and I think he gets a bit of a hard time on here. 

Back the to the topic... no way he will ever be a 3-4 DE. 

This....

Does anyone remember way back when we drafted him and he was projected into being a SAM Backer for us. Injuries in 2013 forced him into learning the rush role at the same time and then with Matthis going down last year he was the rush backer a role he's not ideally suited to being an out and out pass rusher. Add in his own injuries that have hampered his development and I think he gets a bit of a hard time on here. 

Back the to the topic... no way he will ever be a 3-4 DE. 

Actually you have that backwards.  The plan was for Werner to back up Mathis at RushLB his rookie season and not learn the Sam position until later on.  Going into training camp during Werner's rookie year, they had the depth chart setup to have Walden starting at Sam with Lawrence Sidbury as his backup.  Werner was the backup to Mathis at Rush.  It was the season-ending injury in preseason to Sidbury that forced them to move Werner to Sam. :)

Actually you have that backwards.  The plan was for Werner to back up Mathis at RushLB his rookie season and not learn the Sam position until later on.  Going into training camp during Werner's rookie year, they had the depth chart setup to have Walden starting at Sam with Lawrence Sidbury as his backup.  Werner was the backup to Mathis at Rush.  It was the season-ending injury in preseason to Sidbury that forced them to move Werner to Sam. :)

Apologies if that's how it went down, shows how bad my memory (and football knowledge :P) is!

I still maintain he's a better Sam. 

I'm going to preface this by saying, I did not like where we drafted Werner.  I did not see him as a pass rush OLB.  I've called Werner a bust.  This based on where he was drafted not on his ability.

I have been impressed with the progress Bjorn has made as a Sam OLB.  He is getting better at setting the edge.  He can rush from the Sam side and pressure the QB (needs to learn some more pass rush moves to help get the sack).

On topic, I do not see Bjorn adding weight to be a 3-4 DE.  More weight would slow him further.

Werner doesn't have the body to gain the needed weight.     He is what he is.

But Odongo might....

He was reportedly 282 last year.....     I'd like to see what we can do with that....

I'd definitely like to see what Odongo can do. Football's not rocket science, and I think by now, he's had enough time to learn the game, and learn the Colts' system. So yeah, put him out there in training camp and pre-season let the cards fall where they may.