Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts cap space updates (merge / update)

#BringBobBack

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, just so yous know, you can still give out a big contract without taking on a lot of money in year one. Suh only has a $5M cap hit this season.

The Colts could very well sign a guy like Knighton (as an example) for 4 year $26M and only have a $3M cap hit this season. 

Also, just so yous know, you can still give out a big contract without taking on a lot of money in year one. Suh only has a $5M cap hit this season.

The Colts could very well sign a guy like Knighton (as an example) for 4 year $26M and only have a $3M cap hit this season.

Correct, however it makes cutting those that don't work out more expensive in the long run as it just makes their cap hits bigger next year. Grigs seems to do the opposite. Example, Johnsons hit this year is 7 million roughly, next is 5 million

Correct, however it makes cutting those that don't work out more expensive in the long run as it just makes their cap hits bigger next year. Grigs seems to do the opposite. Example, Johnsons hit this year is 7 million roughly, next is 5 million

Sure, but we have an abundance of cap space next year. If we want a guy like Knighton (who's still young) we can do something like: 

2014: $5M

2015: $11M

2016: $5M

2017: $5M

Because any FA we sign is going to be here for a minimum of two years, whether they are good or not. 

Sure, but we have an abundance of cap space next year. If we want a guy like Knighton (who's still young) we can do something like:

2014: $5M

2015: $11M

2016: $5M

2017: $5M

Because any FA we sign is going to be here for a minimum of two year, whether they are good or not.

True but I'm not sure I want him lol

Correct, however it makes cutting those that don't work out more expensive in the long run as it just makes their cap hits bigger next year. Grigs seems to do the opposite. Example, Johnsons hit this year is 7 million roughly, next is 5 millioo

"Over the cap "is showing cap hits of 7.5 both this year and next. They show a cap "savings" of 5 mill in 2016 if he were cut. Did you find something different or maybe read it wrong ?

"Over the cap "is showing cap hits of 7.5 both this year and next. They show a cap "savings" of 5 mill in 2016 if he were cut. Did you find something different or maybe read it wrong ?

It was on a tweet from Adam Schefer (spelling?) Last night, let me see if I can find it

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/3/12/8189363/examining-the-colts-cap-situation-after-day-two-of-free-agency

For those looking at cap space, this article really details where we are at this year and how each player we got in free agency's contract is structured. Looks like we were just above 7 million before Trent was cut.

you can't count trent yet.  that is not a given --- noo

Basically.

Thomas and Louis about 4 mill. ? Looking at the list below do they cut one or both of theses guys now and sign another player ?

1) Castonzo

2)Cherlius

3)Reitz

4)Herremans

5)Mewhort

6)Thornton

7)Holmes

8) Harrison

9)Heenan

10) John

11) 2nd day draft pick to play RT 2016

Thomas and Louis about 4 mill. ? Looking at the list below do they cut one or both of theses guys now and sign another player ?

1) Castonzo

2)Cherlius

3)Reitz

4)Herremans

5)Mewhort

6)Thornton

7)Holmes

8) Harrison

9)Heenan

10) John

11) 2nd day draft pick to play RT 2016

It's hard to figure how either of those two players last too much long after the draft. Maybe Louis, but if they so much as let Donald Thomas in the facility this offseason without a restructure, it will be a huge mistake. 

It's hard to figure how either of those two players last too much long after the draft. Maybe Louis, but if they so much as let Donald Thomas in the facility this offseason without a restructure, it will be a huge mistake. 

Agree . but my point is if they want to sign say another old fat guy and need a few bucks , they could choose to deal with those two guys sooner than later.

With Trent cut, that brings us up to over 10M. I am going to assume Donald Thomas will be cut, Cribbs should be, and Lance Louis since we have a lot of depth now at guard, and he was brought in to add depth. So without cutting Walden, it gives us about 15.6M in cap space, which is still quite a bit. Where we are drafting, we will need to put aside about 6M to sign the draft class, not counting FA's. That gives us basically 10M left, and most teams like to have at least 5M in cap space set aside for emergencies due to injuries, and prefer closer to 10M. If you cut Walden, or were to cut Cherilus as a June 1st cut, one or the other, we would be about at 20M, with all the caveats after. Bottom line, it gives us room to sign one more FA, and if that is Wilfork, the chatter is 10M/2 yrs. I don't know if that is the guaranteed part, but the high point on his salary would be probably be around 7M, so we could make that work easily. In fact, I would not be opposed to cutting Walden for Wilfork. That cut would almost free up the money we need to sign him. He is only considering 3 teams now, and I have to assume we are one of them.

Another bright side, once Donald is cut, and I will assume we are going to have a very heavy defensive draft this year, which means Walden may be here this year, but not next. So with Donald and Walden gone next year, it frees up another 7.5M/ giving us a little over 67M to sign our young FA core, and still have money for one or two choice FA's. Good to see the signings have not impacted next year. Plus I would expect the cap to go up another 10M if the past two years is an indicator, so we should have almost 80M, so we are in great shape. We should start expecting though to build through the draft though in years to come, and FA will be limited. I have a feeling also, after next year, the cap is going to level off for a few years, since next year is the last year the TV revenues impact it for awhile I believe. Regardless, we are in very good shape for next year. Very smart signings. Get Wilfork, and he can mentor Phillips or Armstead.

I can bring the cap up to $27M with cuts to Walden, Thomas, Cribbs, and Louis and a Vontae Davis restructure. 

All those cuts make sense except Walden.  We still don't have anyone to replace him.

It makes no sense to restructure Davis's contract.  You restructure a contract you guarantee more money in the future for cap space now.  Davis's big cap hit is this year. . . this is by design so that we have cap space for extensions next year.

Also and I can't emphasize this enough. . . Davis is OUTPLAYING his current contract.  The dude is playing on Revis/Sherman level. . . We have zero right to ask him to take a pay cut.  

All those cuts make sense except Walden. We still don't have anyone to replace him.

It makes no sense to restructure Davis's contract. You restructure a contract you guarantee more money in the future for cap space now. Davis's big cap hit is this year. . . this is by design so that we have cap space for extensions next year.

Also and I can't emphasize this enough. . . Davis is OUTPLAYING his current contract. The dude is playing on Revis/Sherman level. . . We have zero right to ask him to take a pay cut.

Who said anything about a pay cut?

Be patient people!  We have all of our draft picks...  No need to overspend on Wilfork or any other NT at this point.  We NEED to get a young guy in the draft that will be cheap.  We don't have that much money to spend on another big FA and still have money to sign all draft picks, and still have have emergency money.

Be patient people!  We have all of our draft picks...  No need to overspend on Wilfork or any other NT at this point.  We NEED to get a young guy in the draft that will be cheap.  We don't have that much money to spend on another big FA and still have money to sign all draft picks, and still have have emergency money.

we have almost all of our draft picks but you can't pass up Wilfork IF we can get him pretty cheap.  He's on his swan song pass right now.  I think he's only got one or two more fly-overs.

Technically we could sign him, but we have 11M or so in cap space now.  Add Wilfork's salary it's going to take us to around 5-6M.  That in itself is cutting it close to be able to sign the draft picks.  Still could probably sign all draft picks with that much cap space, but then you must have a little bit left over for emergency situations throughout the season, in which we would not.  Not only that, but we would be in salary cap hell, moving forward.  No rollover money, and all our important people to sign next off season.

It makes much more sense to use the #1 pick to get a young good NT that can continue to develope and fill that position for years to come.  This way we have additional cap to roll over next year to aid us for resigning other players.

Technically we could sign him, but we have 11M or so in cap space now.  Add Wilfork's salary it's going to take us to around 5-6M.  That in itself is cutting it close to be able to sign the draft picks.  Still could probably sign all draft picks with that much cap space, but then you must have a little bit left over for emergency situations throughout the season, in which we would not.  Not only that, but we would be in salary cap hell, moving forward.  No rollover money, and all our important people to sign next off season.

It makes much more sense to use the #1 pick to get a young good NT that can continue to develope and fill that position for years to come.  This way we have additional cap to roll over next year to aid us for resigning other players.

Sometimes the available cap left includes what you need for your draft picks. So I'm not sure if the numbers we are told we have left includes or excludes what we need (around 5 mill)  to sign our draft picks.