Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King: Polians And Irsay 'want To Keep Jim Caldwell'

justnhlsmok

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you know about logic? Other than it is a 5 letter word.

Simple...there is zero chance that anyone posting on this forum has the knowledge or understanding of what is involved in either the GM position or HC position of an NFL team. To claim a person doesn't know how to do his job or isn't doing it right without all the facts is just not logical.

I didn't say anything about Tomlin, he is just a cog in the steelers machine, just like Cower and knoll were as well. The point is its not about the head coach. The Colts have a brand new offensive line, a defense thats in flux and no qb. The same coach went 14 - 0 out of the box 2 years ago. Why do we want to fix whats not the problem? We've got to fix the right problem.

Simple...there is zero chance that anyone posting on this forum has the knowledge or understanding of what is involved in either the GM position or HC position of an NFL team. To claim a person doesn't know how to do his job or isn't doing it right without all the facts is just not logical.

There is a 100% chance that some posting on this forum have the knowledge or understanding of what is involved in either the GM position or HC position of an NFL team, when they compare object 1 to object 2-32, and at that point they can deduce that some do the job better than others.

So all of us posters are Jim Caldwell?

Well played, sir!

I didn't say anything about Tomlin, he is just a cog in the steelers machine, just like Cower and knoll were as well. The point is its not about the head coach. The Colts have a brand new offensive line, a defense thats in flux and no qb. The same coach went 14 - 0 out of the box 2 years ago. Why do we want to fix whats not the problem? We've got to fix the right problem.

Amazing.

It's not like Caldwell as the reason for 14-0. He was one of the main reasons for the next 2, but that is another story. So why pray tell is the problem that needs to be fixed? Caldwell was a poor coach at 14-2, 10-6 last year and 1-13 this year.

while, I agree Caldwell is not the only problem, he is most certainly, part of the problem. I give very little credit to caldwell for 14-0. It has been proven this yr. that was Manning and not the coach. However, Caldwell can not make adjustments during the game, he makes absolutely the dumbest time management decisions in the history of football and the man does ZERO coaching on the sidelines.

I keep reading where some people state that Caldwell is staying. I would honestly like to see specifics that the Colts have changed since Tony Dungy left that would prove he is a great coach. Instead of arguing over nothing, let us try to figure this out like an administrator. What has Caldwell done to justify keeping him?

Peyton wants to keep Caldwell?? I don't believe that. Other Colts players want Caldwell gone so im sure Peyton feels the same way.

Please show me a quote from a player saying that...

Till you do that's your opinion of it. The way the Colts have responded when they have been in poistions to quit on him and the fact that when any of them are ever asked Caldwell they say nice things about him suggests they don't want him fired.

Again, I think this is wishful thinking by fans who can't stand Caldwell that can't see why anyone would want him to still be here.

My guess is they wouldn't report that if they didn't have something to back it up. I know it's hard for fans to believe this but it could be true. They all endrosed Caldwell when he got the job and Caldwell was Manning's poistion for coach for years before he got the job. Odds are Manning wouldn't have endorsed Caldwell for the head coaching job if he didn't like him as his poistion coach. Like any other player I am sure there have been times he didn't like his head coach (the two Jets games come to mind) but all and all Peyton seems to like him.

I've always found it silly that the fans have been saying Manning needs to demand that Caldwell be fired. I think that was wishful thinking from the fans who can't stand Manning because it's so anti-Manning in terms of how he has conducted himself since he's been here. Had Manning really not liked Caldwell he would not have signed a long term contract here and made sure there was a clause put into his contract that said they couldn't use the franchise tag on him again like other players have done.

I know a lot of fans are so anti-Jim Caldwell that they can't imange why anyone would support him but to a lot of those fans Jim Caldwell should have been fired before the season even started and I don't think they really give Caldwell a chance. They only look at the negatives and anything that goes wrong is his fault in their eyes and anyting that goes well they refuse to give him any credit for it.

With that said no I don't think Jim Caldwell is the best coach in the NFL. I've said all along I think he's average. He's not as bad as some people make him out to be but he's not as good as Tony Dungy was either. I've also said all along I wouldn't be shocked either way with what happens with Caldwell and I still wont be. There is a very strong case for him being let go but you know what our votes don't count. The people whose votes do count seem to be listening to the case against firing Caldwell which is that before losing his all world QB he had been to a Super Bowl and was 26-10 as a head coach in the NFL. I think they also look at this team and go if they had Manning (which is the way they envisioned the team when the put it together) they would probably be in the playoff race right now and it's not Jim Caldwell's fault that his franchise QB got hurt.

The team has not quit on Caldwell now three times when they have had a chance to, insteade they have played very hard for him after he sat the starters and they were upset, when they were 6-6 last year coming off three straight loses and four of their last five games, and this year. Each time the team has rallyed and played hard. Yesterday was proof this team has not quit they just aren't good enough because they have a real lack of talent namely at the QB spot. Last year they rallyed and made the playoffs and they came out after resting the starters and won two playoff games and got to a Super Bowl. So rather fans like him or not it seems pretty clear the players do or they would quit on him and they don't.

Again I know it's really easy to scapegoat a coach the fans already don't like but this team has more issues than coaching. Coaching alone has not cost us 13 straight games and you know what even if we did have another coach I am not sure we would have won many of those 13 games without Manning the way this team is put together. Have their been coaching mistakes? Yes, I am not trying to say there haven't been but I just don't think coaching is the main problem this year. I think not having Peyton Manning is.

Like I said there are strong cases both ways. I am not laying out the fire JIm Caldwell case beacuse that's been made a lot of times by a lot of people and I am well aware that's where most fans side but again we don't get a vote. Personally I would probably lean more towards fire Cladwell right now based on what I see and even with Peyton Manning Caldwell wouldn't know a second half adjustment if it mugged him on the street. However, I also understand I don't see everything and I don't know eveyrthing that goes on with this team and Jim Irsay and Bill Polian are in a much better spot to answer that question and with their track records I am willing to trust their decision on this.

Well said. Coaching alone has not cost us 3-13 or 1-15.That is all on the hopeless Polians. Caldwell is average you say? Why would a team with perhaps the GOAT QB, and only one SB to its name, accept an average coach? This team has made some pretty pathetic decisions in the last 5 years, and supporting both Caldwell and the Nepotism Twins mearly highlights people's lack of ambition.

If Caldwell is not fired or demoted at the end of the season, then end is near for this franchise.....

I keep reading where some people state that Caldwell is staying. I would honestly like to see specifics that the Colts have changed since Tony Dungy left that would prove he is a great coach. Instead of arguing over nothing, let us try to figure this out like an administrator. What has Caldwell done to justify keeping him?

When it comes down to it, the way a coach is viewed as good is how the team does. right now Caldwell's record is 27 wins and 22 losses. That is over .500, so he is a good coach...

Really, and you know this how?

through 13 games we have scored 13 points in the 1st quarter...LACK of PREPARATION or MOTIVATION.

through 13 games we have scored 16 points in the 3rd quarter...LACK of ADJUSTMENTS or MOTIVATION

This week we can add a field goal in the 1st quarter and one TD scored by the offense in the 3rd quarter.

questions?

You may not know how to do the job, but you can absoulutely see and evaluate the RESULTS.

You don't have to know how to build brakes on a car, but you darn sure know when they don't work.

You may not know how to do the job, but you can absoulutely see and evaluate the RESULTS.

You don't have to know how to build brakes on a car, but you darn sure know when they don't work.

But you may not know why the brakes failed, what part of the brakes failed? You make an opinion based of limited information. You have zero information on why Caldwell has done the things he has done, or what style of personality he is or how he relates to his players or what his players think of him as a coach. There are a ton of things that go into evaluation of a job performance...you have just 1 thing.

After seeing Jim Caldwell this season and how he allowed the defense to be called game after game he should be fired for that alone. If the colts retain JC after this season I will seriously question this franchises will to win, with or without Peyton Manning

If you have X type of players that play X style of defense, and you have almost zero ability to change out those players then exactly what do you want the coach to do?

through 13 games we have scored 13 points in the 1st quarter...LACK of PREPARATION or MOTIVATION.

through 13 games we have scored 16 points in the 3rd quarter...LACK of ADJUSTMENTS or MOTIVATION

This week we can add a field goal in the 1st quarter and one TD scored by the offense in the 3rd quarter.

questions?

No lack of anything outside of talent. the effort is there, the motivation is there, you just don't want to see it.

Why would Peyton want to keep Caldwell? How do they know that? I like Peter King (not so much Florio), but how do they know this stuff for a fact?

Peyton Manning and Jim Caldwell are good friends outside of football. Read an article saying Jim was one of the few people invited to Peyton's kids' baptizing or some other non-football thing. I'm sure it's not inaccurate to say Peyton wants Jim around for one reason or another but I don't think Peyton in his football heart wants Jim to stay as head coach

Just my opinion, I think Jim Caldwell is a great guy, just not a good head coach. I believe he got to the super bowl his first year via Tony D's leftover team. This team has too much talent to have a season like this. If Jim still has his job after this year, then he was following orders to tank the season in order to get a draft pick for Payton's successor.

Just my opinion, I think Jim Caldwell is a great guy, just not a good head coach. I believe he got to the super bowl his first year via Tony D's leftover team. This team has too much talent to have a season like this. If Jim still has his job after this year, then he was following orders to tank the season in order to get a draft pick for Payton's successor.

As like auto racing, you can have a great car, if you have no one to drive it you are not going to be successful, no matter how good the car is. Without a NFL caliber QB you are not going to win...Just go ask the Bears...

Well said. Coaching alone has not cost us 3-13 or 1-15.That is all on the hopeless Polians. Caldwell is average you say? Why would a team with perhaps the GOAT QB, and only one SB to its name, accept an average coach? This team has made some pretty pathetic decisions in the last 5 years, and supporting both Caldwell and the Nepotism Twins mearly highlights people's lack of ambition.

If Caldwell is not fired or demoted at the end of the season, then end is near for this franchise.....

Well Miami had Dan Marino and many said he was the best ever when he played and they won none

Some would have said Fran Tarkenton was the best when he played and even though he went to four Super Bowls he won none.

Some argue Favre was the best ever when he played and he only won one.

So to answer your question many of the so called "best to ever play" have only won won Super Bowl, not just Peyton Manning and the Colts.

Clearly there is blame to go to the Polians for this, if it's a lack of talent (like the secondary) that goes straight on the GM.

WIth that said the biggest problem is still the fact Peyton Manning is hurt and as much as that stinks that is no one's fault. You can say the Colts should have had a better back up QB but personally I don't know if there is a good enough back up out there ot make up for not having Peyton Manning. Also up till this year a lot of people would have said the best back up QB in the NFL was Kerry Collins. When the Colts became concerned about Painter and Orlovsky's play during two pre-seasons games who did the Colts go get? Kerry Collins. How much did that help?

Also you demote a head coach in the NFL, you fire them so if the Colts decide to part ways that is what they are going to do. They wont demote him.

As like auto racing, you can have a great car, if you have no one to drive it you are not going to be successful, no matter how good the car is. Without a NFL caliber QB you are not going to win...Just go ask the Bears...

That great race car also needs a mechanic that has a bit of a clue on what needs tightened and what needs loosened, or that great car will go right into the wall, just as it has the past two years, with the great driver, or completely fall apart without him.

Without an NFL caliber QB you aren't going to go all the way...

...But the Bears dragged REX GROSSMAN to the Superbowl. It's amazing what a good overall team can do. I feel Orlovsky is potentially better than Grossman, while Painter is probably about as bad,

We're 1-13 and, thanks to the Titans playing at the peak of ineptitude of their lives, not 0-14.

Our team is not a great car. It's like a Ford Pinto with that flawed gas tank design where a slight impact caused it to explode. Manning out = BOOM!

We're a far cry from a great car. We just have a great driver with a few helpers. Every thing else from the front office/coaches to a good chunk of the "talent" we field is like stick on mirrors, "Go faster" paint stripes and Foldgers Coffee Can exhaust openings that add zero power/make your car sound like a leaf blower.

Without an NFL caliber QB you aren't going to go all the way...

...But the Bears dragged REX GROSSMAN to the Superbowl. It's amazing what a good overall team can do.

I feel Orlovsky is potentially better than Grossman, while Painter is probably about as bad, We're 1-13 so yes, this TEAM is a failure. From the front office/coaches to a good chunk of the "talent" we field.

Sorry but Dan is not on the level of Rex...Rex isn't great, but he is an NFL caliber QB.

If PM wants Caldwell as the coach then you don't you all have enough faith in his judgement (as opposed to the Polians' judgement) that Caldwell is a good coach for the Colts? After all, who here on the forum knows more about what's going on in the organization and on the field than PM?

The Colts may have always had average to above average coaches during Manning's era. Was Dungy really that great or better than Caldwell? Where is the proof of that? Dungy leaves TB and they win the SB the next year when they get a decent QB. He beat a Rex Grossman led Bears team while Caldwell faced a Brees led NO team that started that year 13-0. Seems like Caldwell's task was alot more difficult. Jim Mora wasn't a great coach but never really a bad coach either.

But you may not know why the brakes failed, what part of the brakes failed? You make an opinion based of limited information. You have zero information on why Caldwell has done the things he has done, or what style of personality he is or how he relates to his players or what his players think of him as a coach. There are a ton of things that go into evaluation of a job performance...you have just 1 thing.

You may not know why the brakes failed...but if a major car manufacturing plant (or pro sports team) had brakes that went out on car after car after car (embarrassing losses week after week)...well, the Plant Supervisor (head coach) would definitely be fired....And if after replacing the Plant Supervisor, the same problems kept coming up again and again, then the Plant Manager (GM/Polians) would be fired....and if these problems werent fixed, the plant would either close/go out of business, or move to a new location.

If you have X type of players that play X style of defense, and you have almost zero ability to change out those players then exactly what do you want the coach to do?

That's a terrible excuse to play 5-7 yds off receivers every play for the whole season and wonder why we can never get off the field on 3rd down

too late, you're already dead.

You may not know why the brakes failed...but if a major car manufacturing plant (or pro sports team) had brakes that went out on car after car after car (embarrassing losses week after week)...well, the Plant Supervisor (head coach) would definitely be fired....And if after replacing the Plant Supervisor, the same problems kept coming up again and again, then the Plant Manager (GM/Polians) would be fired....and if these problems werent fixed, the plant would either close/go out of business, or move to a new location.

Yeah, what he said.

The Colts have one embarrassing loss, not losses. 2nd I would agree but not game after game, especailly when you have been producing quality previous. It would be looked at as a fluke, defect in the material you had and the hope you can relocate a better supplier next time you buy parts.

That's a terrible excuse to play 5-7 yds off receivers every play for the whole season and wonder why we can never get off the field on 3rd down

Why is that a terrible excuse? That is the style of defense we built, you can disagree with chosing that style, but results would say different...

too late, you're already dead.

How am I dead? Because I refuse to "buy into" the idea that the world is ending and that uniformed fans have a better understanding of job positions, duties and such? We are fans...we cheer or boo and that is our job to think we have any insight into what goes on in the day to day operations of a pro football team is laughable....

My source? Well lets see I have not judged someone's ability in a position for which I have no day to day knowledge or information, what I have done is question those who think that because they watch the team they know what is going on and what should happen and can do a better job.

Lol i somewhat agree with this... the colts suck this year... period, and i want someone to blame it on... BP has a bad attitude when it comes to the media and fans yet he's good at evaluating players... Caldwell looks like walking manikin on the sidelines but his players like him. No one here can actually judge how the coaches are doing only the FO can but from where im sitting changes have to be made be it up top or on the bottom "meaning the players"

Why is that a terrible excuse? That is the style of defense we built, you can disagree with chosing that style, but results would say different...

How would results say different? By what metric has our defense been acceptable this year?

Points allowed? Total yardage? Touchdowns? Third down percentage? Completion percentage? Yards per attempt (passing or rushing)? Turnovers?

Please enlighten me. How do the results argue in favor of what we do on defense this season? Don't excuse the results because of injuries, or because of the time of possession, or anything else. There are tons of reasons that the defense hasn't played well, and we've hashed them out dozens of times already. By what metric have our defensive results been a positive for our team this season?