Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peter King: Polians And Irsay 'want To Keep Jim Caldwell'

justnhlsmok

Read this on Stampede Blue this morning...

Looks like Cald(not)well is gonna be a fixture here... :facepalm:

http://www.stampedeb...ep-jim-caldwell

King: See' date=' I think, Mike, that the Colts [coaching job'] would have been open had Jim Caldwell gone 0-16. But, I'll tell you this, and I know this for a fact, Bill Polian, Chris Polian, Jim Irsay want to keep Jim Caldwell. I think winning one game, I think winning two solidifies it. I thinking winning one really helps his cause.

Florio: And i think, most importantly, Peyton Manning wants to keep Jim Caldwell-

King: Yes!

Florio: -which makes it more likely to be a yes.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Peyton want to keep Caldwell? How do they know that? I like Peter King (not so much Florio), but how do they know this stuff for a fact?

From the article:

Now, it's worth noting that Peter King has a very chummy relationship with Colts vice chairman Bill Polian. So, when he says something pertaining to the Colts, it is often an informed 'something.'

King usually is spot on with his "evaluations" of the Colts, but I am still willing not to take this seriously...

Why would Peyton want to keep Caldwell? How do they know that? I like Peter King (not so much Florio), but how do they know this stuff for a fact?

Good question. Obviously Manning nearly has Carte Blanche on the field, except for ^fool^ic time out calls, and the decision to rest players. Outside of that I'm not sure why. Obviously he respects the guy as a person, inviting him to his twins baptism and stuff like that, but it's clear that he has disagreed with some of Caldwell's choices.

As much as I LIKE CALDWELL AS A PERSON and am sure he's a great guy to sit back and talk to about life, he's just not a good HC. I wouldnt mind keeping him on board as our QB's coach because of his relationship with Peyton but he cant be the HC anymore. Even if we win out which i hope to God we don't.

The reason The owner, president and franchise qb want to keep Caldwell is because they all have a deep understanding of the culture that they all have created inside (organization) and out (city) which Jim Caldwell has been a steward of for three seasons as HC.

My hope is that there will be a sober process as to what is best for this franchise after the season is completed. It is not only the way the Colts operate best, it also embodies the way the city of Indianapolis best goes about its business. It is very telling, and worth being proud of how the stadium was full yesterday, Colts fans were energetic, and how the team was going about its business trying to find their 1st win.

Coach Caldwell has been criticized by the fan base for his non-emotionalism. There are quite a few coaches who have found their way into the Pro Football Hall of Fame who were guilty of the same appearance. Tom Landry, Bud Grant, and Chuck Knoll come to mind immediately. Those three coaches also had terrible seasons to deal with during their tenure. I remember very well the incredibly harsh criticism they endured from their fan bases as well.

I am extremely proud to be a Colts fan this morning. It is incredible to me, but I feel almost as good today, as I did after some of the biggest Colts wins in their recent history. I feel confidant that the Colts will take the correct steps to continue their run of fantastic success. I can be patient for next year. The way the players of this team, both past and present, have conducted themselves through the good times and the bad are a direct reflection of the excellence of the coaching staff and the organization as a whole. If that is an endorsement of the current head coach, so be it.

The reason The owner, president and franchise qb want to keep Caldwell is because they all have a deep understanding of the culture that they all have created inside (organization) and out (city) which Jim Caldwell has been a steward of for three seasons as HC.

My hope is that there will be a sober process as to what is best for this franchise after the season is completed. It is not only the way the Colts operate best, it also embodies the way the city of Indianapolis best goes about its business. It is very telling, and worth being proud of how the stadium was full yesterday, Colts fans were energetic, and how the team was going about its business trying to find their 1st win.

Coach Caldwell has been criticized by the fan base for his non-emotionalism. There are quite a few coaches who have found their way into the Pro Football Hall of Fame who were guilty of the same appearance. Tom Landry, Bud Grant, and Chuck Knoll come to mind immediately. Those three coaches also had terrible seasons to deal with during their tenure. I remember very well the incredibly harsh criticism they endured from their fan bases as well.

I am extremely proud to be a Colts fan this morning. It is incredible to me, but I feel almost as good today, as I did after some of the biggest Colts wins in their recent history. I feel confidant that the Colts will take the correct steps to continue their run of fantastic success. I can be patient for next year. The way the players of this team, both past and present, have conducted themselves through the good times and the bad are a direct reflection of the excellence of the coaching staff and the organization as a whole. If that is an endorsement of the current head coach, so be it.

All 3 of those coaches may have looked stoic on the sideline but all 3 motivated their teams in practice and the locker room. BB is stoic on the sideline too but he's constantly working making the changes and his motivation in the locker room is unheralded.

All 3 of those coaches may have looked stoic on the sideline but all 3 motivated their teams in practice and the locker room. BB is stoic on the sideline too but he's constantly working making the changes and his motivation in the locker room is unheralded.

^^^

THIS!!!

Caldwell, as we have all seen, is NOT a motivator and is unwilling to make changes "on the fly".

Thats funny. All these people are saying that Peyton is going to be traded. Or that he wants out of Indy if they pick Luck. Now, since he is actually looking like he will be fine after the operations, here comes an article saying Peyton wants Caldwell back, and his opinion is the most important one. Come on, which one is it. Is Peyton staying or leaving? LOL.

JJ, as far as adjustments, the Colts have gone to a fullback in the I formation. Tweaked the defense without Coyer (who was criticized internally by BP, then let go) the past three weeks. Simplified O line blocking schemes all year to combat the incredible amount of injuries that have befallen that unit. I see adjusting going on all over the place this year in football terms (thought I would never see a real fullback here), the Colts just couldn't adjust to the avalanche of bad fortune. There are a lot of new 'big' guys who will eventually help as well on both lines who have gone out this year.

I also think the whole motivation thing is a red herring. These guys are character guys, and want to win. Caldwell is a character guy as well. Respect is the greatest motivator, and I think Coach Caldwell has the respect of everyone that has ever played for him. I have never read, seen, or heard anything to the contrary.

Manning wants to keep Caldwell??

I tried to say this a couple of times....I guess folks needed to hear it on TV

Caldwell is a big time passing guru from his college days,....

He believes in throwing the ball more than running.... and I'd bet that's why Manning likes him/..

He was Manning's quarterback coach. I dont know where anybody got the impression Peyton didnt like Jim caldwell..

guys..this cant shock anybody.

The Colts are VERY loyal to their people///

..the only way Caldwell isnt back is if the team gets flushed away in the last two games

I figured Caldwell was going to stay the entire time. Polian has made it pretty clear that this season was going to be swept under the rug because he built a team that relies solely on Peyton's shoulders for success.

I mean seriously, we are going to bring back a guy who at best lead this team to a 3-13 season and at worse 1-15? Injuries happen every year and outside of Peyton this team has not been hurt that bad by injuries. The Texans lost their starter and their back up and yet they are still chugging along to a playoff birth. We lose our starter and this team goes to heck and in a few games get totally embarrassed.

All I know is we all better pray to whatever diety we believe in that Manning comes back in perfect health or this team is >>>ed.

My guess is they wouldn't report that if they didn't have something to back it up. I know it's hard for fans to believe this but it could be true. They all endrosed Caldwell when he got the job and Caldwell was Manning's poistion for coach for years before he got the job. Odds are Manning wouldn't have endorsed Caldwell for the head coaching job if he didn't like him as his poistion coach. Like any other player I am sure there have been times he didn't like his head coach (the two Jets games come to mind) but all and all Peyton seems to like him.

I've always found it silly that the fans have been saying Manning needs to demand that Caldwell be fired. I think that was wishful thinking from the fans who can't stand Manning because it's so anti-Manning in terms of how he has conducted himself since he's been here. Had Manning really not liked Caldwell he would not have signed a long term contract here and made sure there was a clause put into his contract that said they couldn't use the franchise tag on him again like other players have done.

I know a lot of fans are so anti-Jim Caldwell that they can't imange why anyone would support him but to a lot of those fans Jim Caldwell should have been fired before the season even started and I don't think they really give Caldwell a chance. They only look at the negatives and anything that goes wrong is his fault in their eyes and anyting that goes well they refuse to give him any credit for it.

With that said no I don't think Jim Caldwell is the best coach in the NFL. I've said all along I think he's average. He's not as bad as some people make him out to be but he's not as good as Tony Dungy was either. I've also said all along I wouldn't be shocked either way with what happens with Caldwell and I still wont be. There is a very strong case for him being let go but you know what our votes don't count. The people whose votes do count seem to be listening to the case against firing Caldwell which is that before losing his all world QB he had been to a Super Bowl and was 26-10 as a head coach in the NFL. I think they also look at this team and go if they had Manning (which is the way they envisioned the team when the put it together) they would probably be in the playoff race right now and it's not Jim Caldwell's fault that his franchise QB got hurt.

The team has not quit on Caldwell now three times when they have had a chance to, insteade they have played very hard for him after he sat the starters and they were upset, when they were 6-6 last year coming off three straight loses and four of their last five games, and this year. Each time the team has rallyed and played hard. Yesterday was proof this team has not quit they just aren't good enough because they have a real lack of talent namely at the QB spot. Last year they rallyed and made the playoffs and they came out after resting the starters and won two playoff games and got to a Super Bowl. So rather fans like him or not it seems pretty clear the players do or they would quit on him and they don't.

Again I know it's really easy to scapegoat a coach the fans already don't like but this team has more issues than coaching. Coaching alone has not cost us 13 straight games and you know what even if we did have another coach I am not sure we would have won many of those 13 games without Manning the way this team is put together. Have their been coaching mistakes? Yes, I am not trying to say there haven't been but I just don't think coaching is the main problem this year. I think not having Peyton Manning is.

Like I said there are strong cases both ways. I am not laying out the fire JIm Caldwell case beacuse that's been made a lot of times by a lot of people and I am well aware that's where most fans side but again we don't get a vote. Personally I would probably lean more towards fire Cladwell right now based on what I see and even with Peyton Manning Caldwell wouldn't know a second half adjustment if it mugged him on the street. However, I also understand I don't see everything and I don't know eveyrthing that goes on with this team and Jim Irsay and Bill Polian are in a much better spot to answer that question and with their track records I am willing to trust their decision on this.

I think after watching Caldwell go into prevent victory mode yesterday, it reminded me why I didn't like him when the team was winning. Dude really should get fired.

we're always in prevent mode, even when trailing by a large margin! lol we have the most ridiculous defensive "scheme" in the history of the world

No suprises, the Colts could be 0 and 16 and he was coming back-He was given a free pass this year, unless Manning syas he wanst a new HC (Fischer-I hope). The Manning cord goes a long way- Actually, without Manning, this was the year to see what kind of HC caldwell was to be and that proved he was not and of course his bonehaed play calling in the Superbowl, and during the Jet playoff game last year.,

You must watch the games just to look at the pretty blue horseshoes on the helmets and the cheerleaders...

Cald(not)well is NOT a motivator or a coach that can make decent halftime adjustments.

I find it interesting how "Joe Fan" knows so much from watching his TV.....

I have a feeling that Bill Polian said something about Caldwell, and like every writer he probably twisted the words around. I don't think anyone really knows what Polian + Irsay are thinking. I hope they dont keep this buffoon.

We don't need a super star for a coach. A coach in the NFL is a just a cog in the machine like everyone else. We've already got the right guy as head coach. The most successful franchise "steelers) have never fired their head coach, why? because they understand how to run a successful and competetive franchise. They don't need the best guy in the league, they just need their guy. We've already got our guy as head coach. Firing coach Caldwell would be like going to the doctor w/ 2 broken arms and broken legs, and having the doctor say you need a head transplant. Whatever is wrong w/ the Colts there is nothing wrong w/ the head.

We don't need a super star for a coach. A coach in the NFL is a just a cog in the machine like everyone else. We've already got the right guy as head coach. The most successful franchise "steelers) have never fired their head coach, why? because they understand how to run a successful and competetive franchise. They don't need the best guy in the league, they just need their guy. We've already got our guy as head coach. Firing coach Caldwell would be like going to the doctor w/ 2 broken arms and broken legs, and having the doctor say you need a head transplant. Whatever is wrong w/ the Colts there is nothing wrong w/ the head.

Are you seriously comparing Caldwell to Tomlin? Wow! 1 post and you have already lost credibility.

A head transplant is in order, specifically if the person did something to break the 2 arms and 2 legs. In this case the head might actually be Polian more than Caldwell since he hired the worst head coach in the NFL.

And what is the source of your knowledge? You don't mind expressing your opinions so it would be interesting to know.

My source? Well lets see I have not judged someone's ability in a position for which I have no day to day knowledge or information, what I have done is question those who think that because they watch the team they know what is going on and what should happen and can do a better job.