Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Diem re-signed

Mouthfire

Good, we could use him for one more year, let Ijalana develop and maybe move him to RT, or we could draft one in the 2nd round next year. Thank you Ryan, and shame on you for all you haters.

The news will please quarterback Peyton Manning. He believed retaining Diem was important to the status of the offensive line.

Peyton, when he said he doesn't need to be the highest paid player, also mentioned Charlie Johnson by name.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say, that Manning probably knows more about oline play than me and if he thinks it's a good thing then I will agree with him.

Uhhg... Not too sure about that move. I hope he took like $1.5 mil/year or less. The only way that move makes sense is: just use him the first few games while the rookies are getting accustomed to the schemes and all, as depth, or as an insurance policy in case of injury. Again, I really hope it was a significant pay cut, cause there are other FA linemen still available that would have been much more valuable to our team.

Good, we could use him for one more year, let Ijalana develop and maybe move him to RT, or we could draft one in the 2nd round next year. Thank you Ryan, and shame on you for all you haters.

That is probably exactly what will happen. They did a similar thing with Meadows, although if I remember correctly they restructured his deal, Diem played guard one season then the next season they released Meadows and moved Diem to RT.

I think he is the starter to begin with and from there, who knows...but I am glad he took a pay cut and we aren't paying him a ton of money.

“He’s just excited to be a part of the team,’’ Brady said. “He’s glad everything worked out.’

The news will please quarterback Peyton Manning. He believed retaining Diem was important to the status of the offensive line --

I am surprised at Peyton,s Reaction with all the False starts but until rookies brought up to speed , I guess he can start if needed & can also help teach the RT position to ijalana

and maybe can then Backup guard & RT, Rather had a good DT though

My link

Diem was not good last year, maybe this will be a wake up call for him? The OL competition should be very interesting for sure. They need to sign the rookies & get them in camp NOW.

Only Castonzo is left as is CJ, signing Diem may help sign CJ aas he may have though he is new RT and asking for more and now will take less

I wanted Likenbach to start over him.. darn

We don't know who is starting. I think it's good to have him at a reduced price, given his experience and the lack of experience with the rookies, especially after the lock-out. Besides, Peyton agrees to take pay below his value for the good of the franchise. Then, he says he wants Diem. What are Polian and Irsay gonna do, say no?

The few things I take away from Diem's signing:

1) Castonzo and Ijalana are the future of the Colts tackle positions. Diem's signing doesn't change that at all. It doesn't even rule out that Ijalana takes the RT spot sometime this season, or that CJ starts there at the beginning. I just kind of find it curious that Peyton spent the offseason working with the rookies, then a quote comes out recently with Manning stating that the OLine "needs Ryan Diem". Translation: Ijalana isn't ready yet, and he knows it firsthand.

2) I don't know how much of a paycut Diem took, but I can see why he did it. According to the new CBA, any player on an NFL roster this year automatically qualifies for free lifetime health insurance through the NFL. The key is: you have to be on a roster... any roster. He may have felt it was safer to sign with the Colts at a reduced pay, rather than face the possibility of not finding another spot.

The few things I take away from Diem's signing:

1) Castonzo and Ijalana are the future of the Colts tackle positions. Diem's signing doesn't change that at all. It doesn't even rule out that Ijalana takes the RT spot sometime this season, or that CJ starts there at the beginning. I just kind of find it curious that Peyton spent the offseason working with the rookies, then a quote comes out recently with Manning stating that the OLine "needs Ryan Diem". Translation: Ijalana isn't ready yet, and he knows it firsthand.

2) I don't know how much of a paycut Diem took, but I can see why he did it. According to the new CBA, any player on an NFL roster this year automatically qualifies for free lifetime health insurance through the NFL. The key is: you have to be on a roster... any roster. He may have felt it was safer to sign with the Colts at a reduced pay, rather than face the possibility of not finding another spot.

He's a 10 yr vet, so under the new CBA his minimum would be just shy of 1M if he were to have taken a last-ditch job elsewhere. I think he could have found work for more than that though because he's still a productive player. He was set to make 5.4M & I'd bet his salary is right around 3M. His turnaround was so fast though.....I think it probably boiled down to his team loyalty and belief that the Colts can win it all now. Hats off to Diem.

Manning's probable take on rookie linemen....I'd bet that theory holds water.

He's a 10 yr vet, so under the new CBA his minimum would be just shy of 1M if he were to have taken a last-ditch job elsewhere. I think he could have found work for more than that though because he's still a productive player. He was set to make 5.4M & I'd bet his salary is right around 3M. His turnaround was so fast though.....I think it probably boiled down to his team loyalty and belief that the Colts can win it all now. Hats off to Diem.

Manning's probable take on rookie linemen....I'd bet that theory holds water.

If so, good for him.

Glad to see him re-sign. The deal they cut him for was crazy given his performance last year but by re-signing he actually helps the team in terms of not pushing the rookies into action before they are ready.

Not sure how much he is getting paid next year, but he needs to be careful with his play. Link is right behind him and to me, Link played better than Diem last year. Castonzo could also play RT for a few games if the Colts want him to get a feel for the NFL game before moving him to LT. It's nice to have him back, but he isn't by any means guaranteed a starting position

lol,show them how to false start in your own stadium with no crowd noise?that said he is still a solid player and peyton apparently wanted him back.

I said this the other day and some guy about cried over it. Face the facts Diem sucks. We drafted a lot of talent lets use them and get charlie back and put him at right tackle

From the article:

"It's believed he'll play under a one-year deal valued at more than $2 million.

"It felt good to know they wanted me here," Diem said. "I'm glad I can stay.''

Too often, he added, players who became ex-Colts realized what they had when they no longer had it.

"I know of guys who have left here and really regretted it," Diem said. "Every single person I know that's been here for a decent amount of time and gone elsewhere says it's not the same. We've got a great thing going here, from our coaches to our strength coach to the guys on the team. And winning helps."

I'm glad he's back for 2011. He's got the right attitude about this situation. Even if he's supplanted by youth next year I'd bet he has opportunity to play elsewhere if continuing in the league turns out to be high priority in his life.