Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to sign Trent Cole, 2 years, $16m (update)

Dustin

Lol nobody is going to make Trent Cole cover a TE. I don't know why you would even worry about that. 

I'm not "worried" about it, I'm simply saying his limitations make him a part-time player whereas Newsome is more well-rounded and better suited to play an every-down role in this defensive scheme.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not "worried" about it, I'm simply saying his limitations make him a part-time player whereas Newsome is more well-rounded and better suited to play an every-down role in this defensive scheme.

Not really. Newsome rarely drops back into coverage and is also pretty bad against the run. 

Not upset at this at all. Nice stop gap for at-least a year or 2, 3 at most. We need a vet pass rusher, especially not knowing how Mathis will look after recovery. But look on the bright side if Mathis returns to form you have Trent Cole opposite of him that is a two headed beast not to be mess with. 

Come on. Isn't he 4-3? Is this a good signing guys?

he is more of a DE than an olb yes.  however he is versatile enough to also play OLB.  he is much better at making the transition than werner is.  it was a good pick up

He's 33

that means he wont be here for more than a year or two, but the guy can still play.  im guessing he gets cut when we have to pay our own guys in the next few years.  if we can get the right combo of veterans and rookies, that could make us a super bowl team this year

Can't agree with that second statement at all. He is actually pretty solid against the run. PFF graded him in the top 20 of all 3-4 OLBs against the run.

Newsome? No they didn't. His grade was -0.8 against the run. 

Newsome? No they didn't. His grade was -0.8 against the run. 

Incorrect.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/10/colts-run-defense-is-key/

The Colts’ run defense has been middling this year, however  they have players who have made a positive impact against the run. Outside linebackers Bjoern Werner and Jonathan Newsome both rank in the Top 10 at the position as run stoppers, with Run Stop Percentages (RSP) of 7.6 and 7.4, respectively. Nose tackle Josh Chapman had a +4.2 grade against the run, and was strongest  in the second-half of the season. Similarly inside linebacker D’Qwell Jackson found his best form later in the year, with a +7.2 run defense grade in the last ten games of the season, sixth-best at the position in that period. Fellow ILB Jerrell Freeman has struggled this season, but seems to have found form at the right moment. He led all inside linebackers in the Wild Card round with seven tackles and four stops against the run, giving him an impressive 23.5 RSP for the week.

Incorrect.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/10/colts-run-defense-is-key/

The Colts’ run defense has been middling this year, however they have players who have made a positive impact against the run. Outside linebackers Bjoern Werner and Jonathan Newsome both rank in the Top 10 at the position as run stoppers, with Run Stop Percentages (RSP) of 7.6 and 7.4, respectively. Nose tackle Josh Chapman had a +4.2 grade against the run, and was strongest in the second-half of the season. Similarly inside linebacker D’Qwell Jackson found his best form later in the year, with a +7.2 run defense grade in the last ten games of the season, sixth-best at the position in that period. Fellow ILB Jerrell Freeman has struggled this season, but seems to have found form at the right moment. He led all inside linebackers in the Wild Card round with seven tackles and four stops against the run, giving him an impressive 23.5 RSP for the week.

Did they throw out the two New England games for those grades?

Nope.

LCPmexN.jpg

That adds in playoff games which are typically not counted when you look at a players' numbers. Did Andrew Luck pass for 5,500 yards last year? No, he passed for 4700.

They had a very positive grade on Newsome for a 16-game regular season. I'll be honest, I flunked out of my college statistics class, but I learned enough to know that I'll take that large sample size over the small sample, skewed results from 2 playoff games, particulary when one of them being on the wrong side of a straight-up butt kicking. Consider that his run grade was 1.5 when you omit that one game and you'll get a better view of how effective he actually is, rather than one skewed by an outlier.

Regardless of that. -0.8 is actually not a bad grade, relative to PFF's grading scale for 3-4 OLB's.

That adds in playoff games which are typically not counted when you look at a players' numbers. Did Andrew Luck pass for 5,500 yards last year? No, he passed for 4700.

They had a very positive grade on Newsome for a 16-game regular season. I'll take that large sample size over the small sample, skewed results from 2 playoff games, particulary when one of them being on the wrong side of a straight-up butt kicking.

Ok.

Have to think Werner is the odd man out if we sign Cole. 

His money is guaranteed in 2015. It's not a lot, and if we waived him, he'd get claimed, so we probably wouldn't pay any of it. But I doubt he goes anywhere either way. He's probably not starting at Rush at the beginning of the year, though.

His money is guaranteed in 2015. It's not a lot, and if we waived him, he'd get claimed, so we probably wouldn't pay any of it. But I doubt he goes anywhere either way. He's probably not starting at Rush at the beginning of the year, though.

Could probably get a conditional 7th for him. Maybe him straight up for Claiborne? I think that's a trade that benefits both sides. Cowboys had Werner very high on their boards pre-draft. 

Could probably get a conditional 7th for him. Maybe him straight up for Claiborne? I think that's a trade that benefits both sides. Cowboys had Werner very high on their boards pre-draft. 

I wouldn't do either of those deals. I actually think Werner is a decent player. He's good against the run, and he's decent dropping back into coverage. He can play Sam all day long, IMO.

Just not a good pass rusher, and thus not a good first round pick. I'd rather have him than Claiborne or a conditional 7th. 

I thought he was uncomfortable in Philly because he was playing OLB in a 3-4? Pretty sure I saw something about that in December.

Yes, you did. This is my main concern about him. Hopefully Manusky/Pagano are willing to vary the defensive alignment a little bit to accomodate him. He can be awfully good when he gets that speed rush going.

Yes, you did. This is my main concern about him. Hopefully Manusky/Pagano are willing to vary the defensive alignment a little bit to accomodate him. He can be awfully good when he gets that speed rush going.

Yep. I just saw Mike Chappell tweet something about it a few minutes ago.