Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Nick Fairley (Rumor)

I'm sure he'd make us better when he is healthy and on the field.  Just not confident it will be enough games to really matter given how much the Colts seem willing to pay for him.  Like it or not the dude has some alarming red flags (weight, motor, injury history, scheme fit, potential cost).  Colts should proceed with caution in my opinion. 

I don't know the numbers. If we sign him, we can talk about the numbers. But if it's a matter of "twice the guaranteed money," that could just mean we're willing to guarantee Year 2, and no one else is. Not that big of a deal.

For now, I'm just talking about the player. I'm not worried about scheme fit. I think he'll fit our front just fine. Once upon a time, Cory Redding wasn't a scheme fit in a 3-4 front. Then he went to Baltimore, and five years later, we forget that he was once a 4-3 DE, then a 4-3 3-tech, and then a five-tech in Baltimore's hybrid 3-4. When a DT can rush the passer from the interior, you should be able to find a way to fit him into your front. Fairley would work just fine.

The weight and motor issues are taken care of. He's spent the last two years earning the respect and trust of his teammates and coaches. I'm not worried about that. If it's all an act, then we're screwed, but I would expect the Colts to do their due diligence before signing him. Especially after the way Richardson and Landry haven't worked out, at least partially due to work ethic and dedication.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the numbers. If we sign him, we can talk about the numbers. But if it's a matter of "twice the guaranteed money," that could just mean we're willing to guarantee Year 2, and no one else is. Not that big of a deal.

For now, I'm just talking about the player. I'm not worried about scheme fit. I think he'll fit our front just fine. Once upon a time, Cory Redding wasn't a scheme fit in a 3-4 front. Then he went to Baltimore, and five years later, we forget that he was once a 4-3 DE, then a 4-3 3-tech, and then a five-tech in Baltimore's hybrid 3-4. When a DT can rush the passer from the interior, you should be able to find a way to fit him into your front. Fairley would work just fine.

The weight and motor issues are taken care of. He's spent the last two years earning the respect and trust of his teammates and coaches. I'm not worried about that. If it's all an act, then we're screwed, but I would expect the Colts to do their due diligence before signing him. Especially after the way Richardson and Landry haven't worked out, at least partially due to work ethic and dedication.

Thank you superman the fog of depression from certain posters was getting annoyingly thick

You made me feel a little better about the scheme fit concern at least.  If the Colts sign him I pray that you are right about the rest. Players often put their best foot forward the year before hitting free agency.  But will he still be as dedicated to maintaining his weight & conditioning after cashing in? I just think there are less risky alternatives to invest in. We will see what the Colts ultimately do soon enough.

my question is why didn't detroit pick up his rookie option last year...and why didn't they re-sign him when they realized Suh was gone. He only played well in a contract year next to one of the best DTs in football who collected all the double teams. Weight issues and motor issues and that's all suppose to be fine after we guarantee him money. Sorry I'm running from this guy fast. We may get him and I will root like crazy for him but I'm saying it now....he is not the FA I would go after. 50/50 at best. Maybe we give him a prove it deal then that might be possible for me to get behind...but I'm not up on Fairley. Give me Langford and Melton and add some youth in the draft and if ngata gets free then let's talk money. At this point I don't mind pocketing money extending Luck and TY and Costanzo and seeing if a peach falls off the cart later in the offseason.

My concern is that he's a undisciplined and had to be motivated by his team not exercising his 5th year option (making it a contract season). If it takes a that much to motivate him, then I want nothing of a highly guaranteed contract. It has the potential to be a Haynesworth situation. I want players that have a high motor and are self-motivated, not some bum that shows up for half a season when big money is on the line.

Yes, Nick Fairley can help the Colts, but please, don't break the bank and overpay.. The Team has way too many needs to throw at just a couple of players.

What? You think the colts are going to pay Fairley 16m per?

If he was to visit you would think it would be straight after with him being in Cincy.

Yeah,good point!!! Maybe we've backed off now...? Maybe he doesn't like the scheme fit. I dont know, It'll be interesting to see what plays out now. I definitely wouldn't mind adding him, I have some concerns with him but he has great potential and ability. Im also probably even better with the Idea of adressing our D line further in the draft.

Yeah,good point!!! Maybe we've backed off now...? Maybe he doesn't like the scheme fit. I dont know, It'll be interesting to see what plays out now. I definitely wouldn't mind adding him, I have some concerns with him but he has great potential and ability. Im also probably even better with the Idea of adressing our D line further in the draft.

Yeh. I think we were interested. My guess is he wanted a little bit too much but if no one is biting then his price might come down.

The more we sign, the better positioned to go BPA we are.

Yeh. I think we were interested. My guess is he wanted a little bit too much but if no one is biting then his price might come down.

The more we sign, the better positioned to go BPA we are.

I think we'd go BPA regaurdless. Thats how Grigson works. Now will that player be the best player available in our minds...thats a different story. But if it is to them then that's all that matters.

I'll be interested to see the latest updates.  I'm sure the Colts got some decent to good endorsements of Fairley from

Jim Caldwell, so I bet that is part of why they are not afraid to take a chance on him.   I still have a feeling he's looking

for more of a 4-3 front to play in. However I do think he could fit in Indy if we sign him.

I'll be interested to see the latest updates. I'm sure the Colts got some decent to good endorsements of Fairley from

Jim Caldwell, so I bet that is part of why they are not afraid to take a chance on him. I still have a feeling he's looking

for more of a 4-3 front to play in. However I do think he could fit in Indy if we sign him.

On his way to St Louis.

I think we easily could. How much can he really ask for. You have Knighton asking for 8 supposedly. Fairley is 'damaged goods' and even Detroit doesn't want him back. I say 7 million per gets him.

But don't we only have like $10 mil in cap? We need to save some for the draft and any other needed roster moves for the remainder of the season. Plus it might be nice to roll over a few mil into next year when we have to pay the 2012 class + Castonzo

But don't we only have like $10 mil in cap? We need to save some for the draft and any other needed roster moves for the remainder of the season. Plus it might be nice to roll over a few mil into next year when we have to pay the 2012 class + Castonzo

10 million after picks. Donald Thomas and maybe Trent gives us an additional 6 million-ish. We have around 60 million in space going into 2016 (not accounting for Adams, Johnson or Langford, but based on 2015's cap number so I am saying it will balance). More than enough to sign our guys and with a couple cuts some rollover goes into that too.

10 million after picks. Donald Thomas and maybe Trent gives us an additional 6 million-ish. We have around 60 million in space going into 2016 (not accounting for Adams, Johnson or Langford, but based on 2015's cap number so I am saying it will balance). More than enough to sign our guys and with a couple cuts some rollover goes into that too.

Ok...well then I'd be all up for brining in a DT if the price is right. Grigson can't spend in any other area, though.