Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Nick Fairley (Rumor)

I wouldn't be mad if we got Fairley, but would much rather have Ngata or Knighton.  Not only does he have character issues, but lack of motivation after he gets paid.  Colts don't need that right now.  I'm exceptionally happy we didn't get Suh, because he would break our bank and has morality issues. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get Williams or Knighton.. too many ifs here..Especially the injury history!!! We already have horrible luck with injuries yet we seem to like to keep playing the risk game with players who have a bad injury history.

I think this draft has more quality DEs than NTs so getting someone like Ngata, Williams, Knighton, or Wilfork are more important than getting a Fairley or Hardy.

Report: Colts outbidding everyone for Nick Fairley by Shawn Krest | CBSSports.com (2:22 pm ET) Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on Tuesday, and reportedly, the Colts are outbidding the competition by a wide margin. 

According to Bleacher Report's Ian Wharton, the Colts are offering twice as much guaranteed money as any other team.

This Cian guy has no idea what he's talking about, just a (whatever he has in mind) wannabe.

Remember....   he's not saying a better PLAYER,  he's saying will be a better VALUE.

There's a HUGE difference.

Whatever Suh gives Miami will cost a huge fortune.     Whatever Fairley gives his team will be at less than 1/2 the cost.

That's VALUE.

I swear.. to some of you guys, 1 sack in a season and 13.5 since 2011 is golden. He is average at best, nothing special!

I agree.     At least he has size.   I've been saying for years that the Colts just need size on the line.    I would look elsewhere.

Colts need pass rushers, looks as if he can rush the passer...if the price is right (because you know Detroit will do what they can to try and keep him), then welcome aboard.

Not just a pass rusher, but an interior pass rusher. Harder to find, and more immediately disruptive. 

Also, he's a good run defender.

I really want him. He's the one guy that I can say that about.

Not just a pass rusher, but an interior pass rusher. Harder to find, and more immediately disruptive. 

exactly....but i bet Detroit is going to pull all the stops to try and keep him since Suh is pretty much gone.

I hope what I'm about to report is not true, but it sure feels right....

I've read that now that Detroit has lost Suh,  they're going to have to go much harder/higher to retain Fairley.   Can't afford to lose them both.

If true,  we may have to up our already current highest offer even more....

We may have to sweat this one out.....   

exactly....but i bet Detroit is going to pull all the stops to try and keep him since Suh is pretty much gone.

You have to overpay in free agency. You might as well do it for guys who can make a difference close to the ball. 

If he stays in Detroit, then there's not much we can do about that. But I totally agree with making a strong run at him. I don't really care if we're offering double the guaranteed money; if you believe in your process, then you expect him to be around for at least a couple years, and it's a moot point. 

You have to overpay in free agency. You might as well do it for guys who can make a difference close to the ball. 

If he stays in Detroit, then there's not much we can do about that. But I totally agree with making a strong run at him. I don't really care if we're offering double the guaranteed money; if you believe in your process, then you expect him to be around for at least a couple years, and it's a moot point. 

very true, I agree.....and he's not going to demand Suh money so why not.

Him and Art Jones would make a great tandem.

They really aren't any more desperate than the Colts at the position.

They really aren't any more desperate than the Colts at the position.

But historically, equal money means he stays in Detroit. We have to outbid them by a fair amount, and be more attractive than any other suitors. 

Yes. Has the potential to be one of the best interior defenders in the league too.

But historically, equal money means he stays in Detroit. We have to outbid them by a fair amount, and be more attractive than any other suitors. 

I could see him leaving Detroit if they match our offer. He may feel disrespected that he was such an afterthought compared to Suh, and they didn't even pick up his 5th year option. 

Man I hope we get this guy.

Fairley is fat, lazy, doesn't fit the scheme, and injury prone.  He only played like 8 games last year.   He won't look as good or be as productive without Suh lining up beside him and will likely be overpaid to boot.  He has bust written all over him in my opinion.  Don't understand the Colts' interest here.  Showing interest in the wrong Lion!

Fairley is fat, lazy, doesn't fit the scheme, and injury prone.  He only played like 8 games last year.   He won't look as good or be as productive without Suh lining up beside him and will likely be overpaid to boot.  He has bust written all over him in my opinion.  Don't understand the Colts' interest here.  Showing interest in the wrong Lion!

Yeah, he's just like Mathis....only produced because Freeney was on the other side.

LOL at an Internet poster calling an NFL player fat, lazy or injury prone.

LOL at an Internet poster calling an NFL player fat, lazy or injury prone.

Come on now...you know I'm just talking by comparative NFL standards here.  That fat boy would run circles around my critical fan butt and most others on here too.  lol

Come on now...you know I'm just talking by comparative NFL standards here.  That fat boy would run circles around my critical fan butt and most others on here too.  lol

Yeah, well, he's still a top notch defensive talent, and a professional athlete. 

The only thing I'm worried about with Fairley is him getting hurt. And that's only because he'd be a starter, and probably our best defensive lineman. It's not that I think he's a walking MRI magnet; NFL players get hurt, it's part of the game. 

Yeah, well, he's still a top notch defensive talent, and a professional athlete. 

The only thing I'm worried about with Fairley is him getting hurt. And that's only because he'd be a starter, and probably our best defensive lineman. It's not that I think he's a walking MRI magnet; NFL players get hurt, it's part of the game. 

Well those with NFL ties have questioned his motor and conditioning. So it's not just me as a fan.  I just think its very risky to potentially make this guy our largest free agent investment given his injury history and with him being  fresh off of only playing 8 games last year.  Just doesn't seem very smart to me.  Players get hurt all the time...sure...but that doesnt mean you just turn a blind eye to his injury history when so many dollars will be potentially invested. 

Well those with NFL ties have questioned his motor and conditioning. So it's not just me as a fan.  I just think its very risky to potentially make this guy our largest free agent investment given his injury history and with him being  fresh off of only playing 8 games last year.  Just doesn't seem very smart to me.  Players get hurt all the time...sure...but that doesnt mean you just turn a blind eye to his injury history when so many dollars will be potentially invested. 

He suffered a moderate injury last year. Before that, it's been bumps and bruises, a game here, a game there. He missed the beginning of his rookie year due to a camp injury. As far as I know, he doesn't have any degenerative issues, and hasn't had any really serious injuries.

As for the questions about motor and conditioning, it's no secret. He reportedly whipped himself into shape prior to 2014, and his coaches and teammates praised his work ethic. 

Truth is virtually every player in free agency has some question marks. But he's still very talented and would make us better.

I don't usually talk too much about the money aspect because team will spend what they spend; what I don't understand is offer large guarantees to a guy that has yet to play 16 games in a season.  If you're going to spend the money at least spend the money on someone who has proven they can play at a high level for multiple seasons.

He suffered a moderate injury last year. Before that, it's been bumps and bruises, a game here, a game there. He missed the beginning of his rookie year due to a camp injury. As far as I know, he doesn't have any degenerative issues, and hasn't had any really serious injuries.

As for the questions about motor and conditioning, it's no secret. He reportedly whipped himself into shape prior to 2014, and his coaches and teammates praised his work ethic. 

Truth is virtually every player in free agency has some question marks. But he's still very talented and would make us better.

I'm sure he'd make us better when he is healthy and on the field.  Just not confident it will be enough games to really matter given how much the Colts seem willing to pay for him.  Like it or not the dude has some alarming red flags (weight, motor, injury history, scheme fit, potential cost).  Colts should proceed with caution in my opinion. There are lots of guys still out there that could make our defense better. 

Archived