Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Nick Fairley (Rumor)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so because watt gets moved around hes considered an edge rusher?

They have him listed as a 3-4 DE because it's what the Texans have him listed as. Different category from DTs. But for all intents and purposes, Watt is an edge rusher. He lines up outside the tackle more than anywhere else combined. 

Thank you.    Very good 411.    :thmup:

I only wish you would've shared that earlier. 

Not to say there aren't concerns. He's had weight issues in the past. But so has Knighton, a gy universally loved here, who isn't near as talented as Fairley. 

They have him listed as a 3-4 DE because it's what the Texans have him listed as. Different category from DTs. But for all intents and purposes, Watt is an edge rusher. He lines up outside the tackle more than anywhere else combined. 

be that as it may, you cant tell me playing along suh isnt beneficial for his pressures you listed. you posted the colts are interested in knighton. I rather go in that direction and yes I know its not the same position I get that, however I rather look elsewhere for DE

Can someone please tell me how Fairley is good? Isn't he injury prone and also he only got one sack last year too.

He's a dominant pass rusher. "Disruption is production" and Fairley was statistically the best pass rusher at his position last year. 

If you talk to people here, anyone who's ever missed a snap is injury prone. 

Not to say there aren't concerns. He's had weight issues in the past. But so has Knighton, a gy universally loved here, who isn't near as talented as Fairley.

Knighton still has weight issues. Paid 300k in fines last year for being overweight

What? Colts espouse concerns about Suh not fitting the 3-4 and now express interest in Fairley who played for the same team/system, has more issues and is far less talented??  Pleeeeease.

Let's get someone who we know fits the 3-4...Ngata and/or Dan Williams.  Not Wilfork though...too old.

just because stephen Holder reported the Colts had reservations doesn't make it true

How do you embed tweets, I try and it only posts a link.

Click on the tweet's timestamp (it's a small link right next to the Twitter handle at the top of the tweet) and it will take you to a new page.  Copy and paste the URL of that new page into your post on here.

Fairly is a top 10 DT, I don't get the objection.

He's a good player, but it's worrisome to me when a player is decent for a few years, then very good in his contract year.  There have been questions about his motor all throughout his career and even going back to Auburn.  I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, but giving him a lot of guaranteed money could be a mistake

Click on the tweet's timestamp (it's a small link right next to the Twitter handle at the top of the tweet) and it will take you to a new page.  Copy and paste the URL of that new page into your post on here.

He's a good player, but it's worrisome to me when a player is decent for a few years, then very good in his contract year.  There have been questions about his motor all throughout his career and even going back to Auburn.  I'm not saying we shouldn't sign him, but giving him a lot of guaranteed money could be a mistake

Not that I disagree about the motor part, but Fairley has been very good for a few years now. Last season wasn't some aberration. 

Nick Fairley had the highest pass rush productivity (pressures/pass rush snaps) of any DT in the NFL last year.

14th in 2013, 2nd in 2012.

Didn't Fairley miss a large part of the season last year. I recall him being benched for lack of effort. Perhaps I am thinking of someone else on the Lions.

He was benched very briefly in pre-season.

He played in only 8 games last year. He had weight issues as well as injuries (knee). I don't think he played in the Wild Card game.

Hope he will be a better player for the Colts.

My fear is that Grigs is going to go get Fairley, and that is it for the Dline. We have Art Jones who is going nowhere, we also have Chapman, who the brass seem to like. So I am scared this could be our only big name on the D side of the ball.

IMO a this is a failed offseason for not signing Suh. Who cares who we beat if we can't beat the number one team in the conference. We aren't even that good considering who we beat and who we lost to.

IMO a this is a failed offseason for not signing Suh. Who cares who we beat if we can't beat the number one team in the conference. We aren't even that good considering who we beat and who we lost to.

ridiculous. one player, no matter how great, isn't going to fix the defense

Man if we got Fairley and Knighton and moved Arthur Jones to NT. 

2dd.jpg

Huh????

Wouldn't Knighton be our NT??

Jones would be the DT and Fairley the DE.....

For what it's worth,  Superman,  who I think was the first to float Fairley's name around here,  believes that Fairly should only play about 60-65% of the snaps.....

Huh????

Wouldn't Knighton be our NT??

Jones would be the DT and Fairley the DE.....

For what it's worth,  Superman,  who I think was the first to float Fairley's name around here,  believes that Fairly should only play about 60-65% of the snaps.....

Knighton is the better pass rusher, so I wouldn't put him at NT. 

Well then you will always be disappointed and dissatisfied with free agency. We don't need Suh to beat the best teams in football. We need a well rounded talented defense and you're not getting that from one player. If you need your team to sign the highest paid FA every other year go be a Raiders fan. They seem to be doing great.

His knock out of HS was that he was lazy. In college he only showed up for his money year. In the pros after getting that 1st round pick money he once again got the rep for being lazy, he once again showed up for his money year. If we sign him we have a guy that will be a poor back up, he has no drive and no desire except to cash checks..

He only played 2 yrs at Auburn after transferring from a JUCO. While there are concerns with Fairley, you post is full of exaggeration

Free Agent Profile: Nick Fairley
Matt Claassen | March 6, 2015

Pro Football Focus:

The Lions’ were unsatisfied enough with Fairley that last March they decided to not exercise his fifth-year option for 2015 in an attempt to motivate him. Fairley’s struggle with weight entering training camp was a big story to start his season. It was an even bigger issue for Detroit as they dropped him down to second-team defense during the preseason. However, Fairley performed as if it wasn’t an issue once the regular season started and by Week 6 he looked like the player we had seen in 2012. He earned a +11.1 overall grade through the first seven weeks, which put him back in the Top 10 defensive tackles over that time frame, including ten total pressures over Weeks 6 and 7.

2015-FA-profile-inset-fairley.png

Unfortunately, Fairley lost the chance to build on his positive start after he took an awkward bit of friendly fire from Suh during Detroit’s Week 8 game. The hit left him with a sprained knee and he was unable to return for the rest of the season. Fairley finished the year with the highest PRP among qualifying defensive tackles and ranked 14th in Run Stop Percentage out of 82 players at his position.

While Fairley is certainly capable of overpowering offensive linemen, he has found a lot of success as a pass rusher through quick, skillful moves despite his size. He does a good job at swiping offensive linemen’s arms to prevent them from getting latched on. He also has a lot of success with quick swim and dip-and-rip moves, particularly to the outside of guards where they generally do not have help. As a run defender, Fairley can beat one-on-one blocks, but he is also strong enough to anchor down against double teams to hold his ground.

Fairley just turned 27-years-old in January and has clearly shown a high talent level during his first four years in the league. There will be questions about his injury history and his consistency, as well as some about his maturity, but he offers tremendous upside for a team willing to take a bit of a gamble. He primarily played tackle in Detroit’s 4-3 scheme throughout his career, but his size and skill set would also be a good fit as an end in a 3-4 scheme.

That flexibility may increase his amount of potential suitors. Although he won’t generate the same interest or money that teammate Ndamukong Suh will create, expect Fairley to still command significant interest as an interior lineman that excels at rushing the passer.