Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Dont Get Luck

First off, now that we've won a game, I for one hope we lose the next 2 so we have no doubt we have the 1st overall pick to get Luck. Plus losing the last 2 games will make it more likely to fire Jim Caldwell.

With that said, if for some reason we end up with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick and miss out on Luck, I say we gotta take the next best thing, LT Matt Kalil.

Adding Kalil would allow us to put Costanzo at RT where he is better suited, and Ijalana could play OG where he could succeed since he has the athletism and strength to play there. That would make our OL one of the youngest and best OLs in the NFL.

This is good on paper, but let's think about the unthinkable... what if Peyton can never play again? Sticking Orlovsky behind a good OL doesn't make him a quarterback.

We will still draft a QB even if it isn't Luck. That will be a given so I don't really care whether it's Luck or another QB. I am just glad that we won a game today.

First off, now that we've won a game, I for one hope we lose the next 2 so we have no doubt we have the 1st overall pick to get Luck. Plus losing the last 2 games will make it more likely to fire Jim Caldwell.

With that said, if for some reason we end up with the 2nd or 3rd overall pick and miss out on Luck, I say we gotta take the next best thing, LT Matt Kalil.

Adding Kalil would allow us to put Costanzo at RT where he is better suited, and Ijalana could play OG where he could succeed since he has the athletism and strength to play there. That would make our OL one of the youngest and best OLs in the NFL.

Alright just curious but where is your proof that Costanzo is better suited at RT. He played LT at BC blocking Matt Ryans blind side. He's a rookie in the NFL playing relatively well and growing each and every game. Sure Kalil may be better. But in my opinion we need to take the best defensive player in the draft. Morris Claiborne. Ijalana will not play guard. He was drafted to play RT which is where he's gonna play. Everyone keeps saying he is a sure thing at guard, but from what i heard straight outa polians mouth after the draft was the ijalana may be the best LT prospect in that draft but that he was very raw to play over there so he would play at RT.

As for the Qb position. I would really like to take Nick Foles from arizona. He is someone that would really learn alot from peyton and is pegged as a NFL ready guy so wont have to play right away. He's 6'5 240. Great size for a QB.

This is good on paper, but let's think about the unthinkable... what if Peyton can never play again? Sticking Orlovsky behind a good OL doesn't make him a quarterback.

Let's think about the practical... what if Peyton starts next season, is pain free, and finishes out his contract? Seeing as how this is FAR more likely than the apocalyptic scenario everyone keeps bringing up, I say someone like Kalil or Claiborne would be a miles-wide better pick, and would likely help us immediately.

Let's think about the practical... what if Peyton starts next season, is pain free, and finishes out his contract? Seeing as how this is FAR more likely than the apocalyptic scenario everyone keeps bringing up, I say someone like Kalil or Claiborne would be a miles-wide better pick, and would likely help us immediately.

Are 14 GREAT years from a LT or CB better than 10 GREAT years from a QB? That's a toss up to me...

(assuming everyone reaches potential, avoids injuries, and everything else is equal...)

Are 14 GREAT years from a LT or CB better than 10 GREAT years from a QB? That's a toss up to me...

(assuming everyone reaches potential, avoids injuries, and everything else is equal...)

Well a great LT can protect the blindside of the QB for 14 years and keep that player injury free and upright, just from his personal responsibilities. A dominant CB alle Revis takes a QB's number one weapon from him during a game, making him uncomfortable and easier to game plan against defensively. A great QB can only be so great, depending on the talent thats around him, bad offensive line, will equal, less time, inaccurate throws, possible injuries... Look at Manning, carried a weak team his entire career and only has one SB to show for it. I think a team is better when it is balanced, especially in football, its a team sport, in Basketball a dominant force can sometimes be enough to get you to the promise land, but even a dominant force needs help around him. Jordan made the Bulls, without him they weren't even half the same team, but with what they had around him, and his dominant presence it was enough... A great QB can't play defense in football, although Manning kept the defense off the field, so I think its always better to have balance...

Well a great LT can protect the blindside of the QB for 14 years and keep that player injury free and upright, just from his personal responsibilities. A dominant CB alle Revis takes a QB's number one weapon from him during a game, making him uncomfortable and easier to game plan against defensively. A great QB can only be so great, depending on the talent thats around him, bad offensive line, will equal, less time, inaccurate throws, possible injuries... Look at Manning, carried a weak team his entire career and only has one SB to show for it. I think a team is better when it is balanced, especially in football, its a team sport, in Basketball a dominant force can sometimes be enough to get you to the promise land, but even a dominant force needs help around him. Jordan made the Bulls, without him they weren't even half the same team, but with what they had around him, and his dominant presence it was enough... A great QB can't play defense in football, although Manning kept the defense off the field, so I think its always better to have balance...

I agree, but I would take a GREAT QB over a GREAT CB for a couple reasons:

1. A perfect throw always beats perfect coverage.

2. A great quarterback doesn't have just one weapon to throw to (negating the CB no matter how great he is)

In your Jordan reference, Jordan would have been a QB while Pippen would have been a CB.

2. A great quarterback doesn't have just one weapon to throw to (negating the CB no matter how great he is)

In your Jordan reference, Jordan would have been a QB while Pippen would have been a CB.

Yeah, I agree, but I would personally have more balance...

I dont think that makes sense, in a way. Same could go the other way. Perfect coverage would always deny a perfect throw. And its not like if we trade the pick, we only get ONE pick back for it to use on a CB. We will get a TON of picks and they could be used on quality playmakers everywhere on the team

I dont think that makes sense, in a way. Same could go the other way. Perfect coverage would always deny a perfect throw. And its not like if we trade the pick, we only get ONE pick back for it to use on a CB. We will get a TON of picks and they could be used on quality playmakers everywhere on the team

It means the best quarterbacks will complete throws even to receivers who are covered. A CB can't cover every possible throw at the same time. Manning and Reggie have completed many throws that put CBs in impossible positions.