Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

16 Greatest QBs in NFL history

amfootball

Posted · Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 10, 2015 - Personal Argument
Hidden by SteelCityColt, March 10, 2015 - Personal Argument

Doesn't seem like you are capable or willing to read the article. Either that or you are incapable of comprehending what you've read. Either way, I've got no time for somebody who can't be bothered to use his brain.

That is a two way street. I have no time for anyone who refuses to comprehend that 'bountygate' was wrong and that the Saints got caught. If you feel it is right for a team to get paid to intentionally hurt any player then IMO you have no clue as to what sportsmanship is. There is still something called class and you don't seem to know what that means. It makes no difference what other teams did. The Saints did do it.

That is a two way street. I have no time for anyone who refuses to comprehend that 'bountygate' was wrong and that the Saints got caught. If you feel it is right for a team to get paid to intentionally hurt any player then IMO you have no clue as to what sportsmanship is. There is still something called class and you don't seem to know what that means. It makes no difference what other teams did. The Saints did do it.

You're not even addressing anything I have said, just ranting on and on with some cornball rhetoric and nonsense about "class." Your rhetoric takes a backseat to fact, and fact says that the Saints weren't all as guilty of what you think they were. FACTS, not emotional rants.

But you aren't interesting in learning the facts, even when they're put in an easy-to-click link for you. All you have to do is click and learn. Easy. But you choose not to take the opportunity to educate yourself. And that, my boy, is the height of ignorance. You're probably the kind of guy who votes blindly along party lines and thinks that Olive Garden is a high-class dining experience. good luck with that, I suppose.

You're not even addressing anything I have said, just ranting on and on with some cornball rhetoric and nonsense about "class." Your rhetoric takes a backseat to fact, and fact says that the Saints weren't all as guilty of what you think they were. FACTS, not emotional rants.

But you aren't interesting in learning the facts, even when they're put in an easy-to-click link for you. All you have to do is click and learn. Easy. But you choose not to take the opportunity to educate yourself. And that, my boy, is the height of ignorance. You're probably the kind of guy who votes blindly along party lines and thinks that Olive Garden is a high-class dining experience. good luck with that, I suppose.

Because I have a different opinion than you what gives you the right to call me ignorant? Now your bringing politics into this?

Namath as the 13th best QB of all time?  He got one important win (albeit a very important win) and people overrate him like mad.  I can think of several QBs I'd take before Namath.

Unitas should be top 5.

Bradshaw is another guy I think is overrated.  He had arguably the best defense of all time.

Favre is too much of a gunslinger for my liking.  He's reckless with the ball and the reason for his insane numbers is because he played so many years.  I'm not saying he's not a good QB, but I wouldn't call him the 6th best of all time.

My top 5 (in no particular order): Manning, Brady, Montana, Unitas, Marino

I totally agree that Namath and Bradshaw are overrated.  Your top five are also my top five, but here is the order I would put them in, 1. Montana 2. Marino 3. Unitas 4. Brady. 5. Manning.

Last I checked, cheating means playing with an unfair advantage.  How does Bounty Gate give an unfair advantage to a team?

Technically cheating is any action that goes against the pre-agreed rules which you try and intentionally hide from the powers that be, regardless of whether it gives an advantage or not. 

Mod Note

Just a gentle reminder folks to keep the arguments about the topic and to not level personal shots at people. I can understand that feelings will run strong on certain subjects but let's keep it above the belt please. I've had to remove a few posts that crossed the line and were just bickering. 

This goes back to that question of what your criteria are. If great=influential then Namath certainly has that. He was really pro football's first "larger than life" character. He's still iconic. This is all very subjective.

I have no issue with Namath being on the list. He put the AFL/AFC on the map. He also played during a time where knee injuries were not able to be surgically repaired as well as today and he hurt his knee in college so we really never did see a 100 percent Namath.

Greatest players lists to me are a culmination of one's career including stats, wins, championships, era played in, coaching, teammates and influence on the game. Some players are at an elite level in one or two of these categories which gets them on the list. Others are elite in a different way. That is why I always think these types of discussions are fun. There really are not right or wrong answers when looking at the great players of different eras.

Fox's list of the greatest list of QB in NFL history, http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-the-16-greatest-quarterbacks-in-nfl-history/ss-BBi93r0?ocid=LENDHP

They obviously did a combo here of greatest Qbs based on accomplishments as well as guys that impacted that game as I don't think anyone would have Namath on their greatest list.

:spit::violin:   IMO Brady will never be #1 unless you exclude facts . In a article by the NY Post dated Oct 24 2014 Roger Goodell admits Bill Belichick has from day one in New England as a Coach been been dishonest about many of his teams questionable practices in fact Belichick admited he did something but as usual full disclosure is not the way he does business .

While this is a feel good story for some it also is a opportunity for you to explain your thoughts on the Roger Goodell statements or Belichecks from feb .

Barry Bonds was # 1 *********     IMO if Tom Brady is then thanks to his coach it is with *******************.

If you need links I will happily provide .

:spit::violin:   IMO Brady will never be #1 unless you exclude facts . In a article by the NY Post dated Oct 24 2014 Roger Goodell admits Bill Belichick has from day one in New England as a Coach been been dishonest about many of his teams questionable practices in fact Belichick admited he did something but as usual full disclosure is not the way he does business .

While this is a feel good story for some it also is a opportunity for you to explain your thoughts on the Roger Goodell statements or Belichecks from feb .

Barry Bonds was # 1 *********     IMO if Tom Brady is then thanks to his coach it is with *******************.

Yes, please provide links to Goodell's statements and also links to Belichick's "questionable" practices that he is referring to.

hurts, doesn't it? All those years you probably were convinced that Manning was better than Brady. That has to sting.

Oh gosh, and here I thought you would bring something credible to the table. The book, Spygate: the Untold Story has been WIDELY discredited since it came out a few years ago. The author, Brian O'Leary refers to himself as a "first time author" and "die hard NFL fan" and had to self-publish it because no one would pick it with the lies and sensationalism throughout.

Here are just a few reviews of the book for you to chew on:

Review 1

I've read quite a few insane books in my day, but this one takes the cake.

The author has zero credibility, and after doing some digging, I couldn't find anyone of merit that even mentioned this book. It feels like a super long Facebook pst you know, the kind that

clogs your Facebook feed where you just want to block the person.

Also, look at the fake positive reviews on Amazon. They are hilarious. A ton of them mention the Pittsburgh Steelers as being "the best franchise in spots". hahah. Because that is relevant when discussing a book about New England. People don't like New England that same reason they don't like Alabama. You get tired of the same team winning.

The book only lacks evidence and credibility. Its reads like my crazy uncle talking about how he refuses to use any kind of cell phone because the CIA is tapping into his conversations.

The book summed up in 1 sentence:

A team can't be this good for such along period of time, and although I don't have any evidence/sources/witnesses/testimonies or anything at all for any of my claims, here are a bunch of crazy theories about how they win.

Don't waste your time.

Review #2

This writer is a total hack. He presents no real facts that weren't already known. His "facts" are nothing more than innuendos and speculation. If he indeed hear from Chris Mortenson then why didn't he also write a review on the book or acknowledge his comments. Saying someone said that Doug Flutie said something isn't fact it is hearsay. Try getting that by in a court of law. So they have won more home games than some Hall of Fame Quarterbacks that proves nothing. This book is not worth the price.

Review 3

No reputable reviewers from any new source have reviewed this book. I was not aware of this until after I read it. Since I bought it on my kindle, I figured that there had to be plenty of reviews to compare my thoughts to. There wasn't any. The national media ignored this book. Like I should have.

The theme of the book is essentially that since New England as had such a great deal of consistent success, they must be cheating. The author goes back to this idea constantly without any real point or evidence to back up his claims (another theme of the this book).

The credentials of the author are unintentionally hilarious. " Bryan O'Leary is a first time author and die hard NFL fan. ". Yep. The books reads like a fan writing a 200 page rant on the ESPN message boards.

The author is a crazed sports fan, drunk with hate, and this book is an incoherent mess with no credible sources and some insane conspiracy theories. He gathered up all the old stories that anyone could find on the web, did a couple of statistical calculations and pulled a theory out of his butt.

This book makes Skip Bayless sound normal.

Oh gosh, and here I thought you would bring something credible to the table. The book, Spygate: the Untold Story has been WIDELY discredited since it came out a few years ago. The author, Brian O'Leary refers to himself as a "first time author" and "die hard NFL fan" and had to self-publish it because no one would pick it with the lies and sensationalism throughout.

Review 1

The author has zero credibility, and after doing some digging, I couldn't find anyone of merit that even mentioned this book. It feels like a super long Facebook pst you know, the kind that

Also, look at the fake positive reviews on Amazon. They are hilarious. A ton of them mention the Pittsburgh Steelers as being "the best franchise in spots". hahah. Because that is relevant when discussing a book about New England. People don't like New England that same reason they don't like Alabama. You get tired of the same team winning.

The book only lacks evidence and credibility. Its reads like my crazy uncle talking about how he refuses to use any kind of cell phone because the CIA is tapping into his conversations.

A team can't be this good for such along period of time, and although I don't have any evidence/sources/witnesses/testimonies or anything at all for any of my claims, here are a bunch of crazy theories about how they win.

Don't waste your time.

Review #2

This writer is a total hack. He presents no real facts that weren't already known. His "facts" are nothing more than innuendos and speculation. If he indeed hear from Chris Mortenson then why didn't he also write a review on the book or acknowledge his comments. Saying someone said that Doug Flutie said something isn't fact it is hearsay. Try getting that by in a court of law. So they have won more home games than some Hall of Fame Quarterbacks that proves nothing. This book is not worth the price.

Review 3

No reputable reviewers from any new source have reviewed this book. I was not aware of this until after I read it. Since I bought it on my kindle, I figured that there had to be plenty of reviews to compare my thoughts to. There wasn't any. The national media ignored this book. Like I should have.

The theme of the book is essentially that since New England as had such a great deal of consistent success, they must be cheating. The author goes back to this idea constantly without any real point or evidence to back up his claims (another theme of the this book).

The credentials of the author are unintentionally hilarious. " Bryan O'Leary is a first time author and die hard NFL fan. ". Yep. The books reads like a fan writing a 200 page rant on the ESPN message boards.

The author is a crazed sports fan, drunk with hate, and this book is an incoherent mess with no credible sources and some insane conspiracy theories. He gathered up all the old stories that anyone could find on the web, did a couple of statistical calculations and pulled a theory out of his butt.

But to O'Leary's credit, he recognizes a gullible audience of buffoons who slurp this nonsense up and he probably made a buck or two off them.

Review 1

Don't waste your time.

Review #2

Review 3

Awesome thank you -  The title for this was the story that started it all - written by Gary Buiso   there are several issues I concede your point about Leary no problem however he is not the only source many teams were involved & the issue was bigger than any might have thought I will also point out Miami bought tapes of Brady & hammered the Patriots but until today I was unaware so I do see a double standard & Goodell has a credibility problem .

Leary raises some decent points debateable I'll give you that but in the big picture it adds to a confusing issue ..

The Miami story I referred to ..

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/12/throwback-thursday-nfl-handled-spygate-accusations-very-differently-in-2006/

Awesome thank you -  The title for this was the story that started it all - written by Gary Buiso   there are several issues I concede your point about Leary no problem however he is not the only source many teams were involved & the issue was bigger than any might have thought I will also point out Miami bought tapes of Brady & hammered the Patriots but until today I was unaware so I do see a double standard & Goodell has a credibility problem .

Leary raises some decent points debateable I'll give you that but in the big picture it adds to a confusing issue ..

The Miami story I referred to ..

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/02/12/throwback-thursday-nfl-handled-spygate-accusations-very-differently-in-2006/

Yes, I remember that Miami game. They did say the Dolphins had tapes of Brady at the line and knew his calls. And the Pats did swat it down as a non-issue. This also happened with spygate with Bill Cowher coming out and saying that the taping of signals had nothing whatsoever to do with the Pats beating them in the conference title games.

I think as Pats fans we understand the narrative. It is not like we are saying what happened with spygate is a non-issue or that the team should not have been punished for ignoring Goodell's memo BUT the level of media scrutiny, the over the top penalty, etc. blew it into a national story for months and months. We understand much of this was because of the success of the Pats. Much in the same way the Pats got scrutinized over the air ball pressure this year when the Vikings had a ball tampering issue earlier in the season that no one said boo about.

I agree with you about Goodell. I have been saying he has lost credibility for a long time now. He should have never destroyed the spygate tapes. There was no reason to do that and it made him look like he was covering up. And then you have Bountygate and him having to get himself removed from the hearings only to have Tagliabue overrule his suspensions and then Ray Rice and the self investigation and now Deflategate which is exposing the underbelly of ball handling among league officials/refs. He has handled serious league issues from the get go like a buffoon with zero understanding of how the media is a conduit to NFL fans.

This is a ESPN link with a lil timeline with more I previously knew nothing about  with out Leary your thoughts ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3392047

Yes, I remember that Miami game. They did say the Dolphins had tapes of Brady at the line and knew his calls. And the Pats did swat it down as a non-issue. This also happened with spygate with Bill Cowher coming out and saying that the taping of signals had nothing whatsoever to do with the Pats beating them in the conference title games.

I think as Pats fans we understand the narrative. It is not like we are saying what happened with spygate is a non-issue or that the team should not have been punished for ignoring Goodell's memo BUT the level of media scrutiny, the over the top penalty, etc. blew it into a national story for months and months. We understand much of this was because of the success of the Pats. Much in the same way the Pats got scrutinized over the air ball pressure this year when the Vikings had a ball tampering issue earlier in the season that no one said boo about.

I agree with you about Goodell. I have been saying he has lost credibility for a long time now. He should have never destroyed the spygate tapes. There was no reason to do that and it made him look like he was covering up. And then you have Bountygate and him having to get himself removed from the hearings only to have Tagliabue overrule his suspensions and then Ray Rice and the self investigation and how Deflategate. He has handled serious league issues from the get go like a buffoon.

This is a ESPN link with a lil timeline with more I previously knew nothing about  with out Leary your thoughts ?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3392047

Yeah, that timeline I think is pretty accurate. It is amazing to see it all laid out like that. What kind of shocks me now is how on earth the Pats managed to win 18 straight games and almost go perfect with all of that going on. It was really a soap opera that began in week 1 and kept right on rolling through the post-season, SB and the off-season ...

May 8, 2008: Eight videotapes containing footage of six games between 2000 and 2002 involving five teams arrive from Walsh at NFL offices in New York. A tape of the Rams' walk-through before Super Bowl XXXVI is not among the evidence turned over by Walsh.

I like many had thought it was a isolated issue the quote above made me laugh for years I always thought it was just about the Rams as it turns out they there is no evidence & the Patriots were innocent of that however it also points to Bill doing it also as Browns HC .

As I read more & more  I'll give you & yours the benefit of the doubt . If the stories are true then IMO a feel good story involving a player elevated to sainthood should include facts as any journey begins with 1 step the truth is a great first step in regards to the Patriots the perception however fair is out there I can only say I like Brady I think he has been amazing however his coach has put in to question his accomplishments outside of your fanbase Perception is Reality when your coach is less than truthful for a decade .

I like many had thought it was a isolated issue the quote above made me laugh for years I always thought it was just about the Rams as it turns out they there is no evidence & the Patriots were innocent of that however it also points to Bill doing it also as Browns HC .

As I read more & more  I'll give you & yours the benefit of the doubt . If the stories are true then IMO a feel good story involving a player elevated to sainthood should include facts as any journey begins with 1 step the truth is a great first step in regards to the Patriots the perception however fair is out there I can only say I like Brady I think he has been amazing however his coach has put in to question his accomplishments outside of your fanbase Perception is Reality when your coach is less than truthful for a decade .

I am not sure I follow. You say the actual facts prove a very different story from what most believe but then say Bill has cast Brady's accomplishments in poor light?  It can't be both.

I will give you this though. As much as I love Bill as a GM and a coach, his choice to portray himself the way he does with the media is what has hurt him and the Pats the most over these past 15 years. I get that he felt betrayed by the media during his time in Cleveland but how long can one hold a grudge? His public persona may be the worst I have ever seen of any public figure with his amount of success. Bill was truthful about spygate from day one, admitted it, took responsibility and accepted the punishment without so much as an appeal BUT his persona makes him seem guarded, stand-offish and arrogant. So no one will give him the benefit of any doubt when his actions are called into question. It is a shame really. I was saying to my brother this season that I loved his science press conference after the conference title game. It was an animated, funny and thought-provoking side of Bill we never see. Why he chooses to never reveal that unless pressed is his own private mystery but that more than anything has hurt him and this amazing and historic run the last decade and a half. As you say, perception is reality.

Ah, the time-tested tradition of trying to compare QBs from different eras. Must be the offseason! 

Everyone is going to have an opinion on this if your criteria is simply "the best." What does that really even mean? Best pure passer? Most wins? Best stats? 

You have guys like Manning and Marino who (literally) rewrote record books. Toss Favre in there if you want, but... I've always seen him as a tick or two behind the pure elite, and attribute most of his records more to longevity than anything else.

Then you've got guys like Montana and Brady, who arguably have the most recognition throughout their careers in the form of championships and playoff success. 

And of course we all have our rooting interests. 

I am not sure I follow. You say the actual facts prove a very different story from what most believe but then say Bill has cast Brady's accomplishments in poor light?  It can't be both.

I will give you this though. As much as I love Bill as a GM and a coach, his choice to portray himself the way he does with the media is what has hurt him and the Pats the most over these past 15 years. I get that he felt betrayed by the media during his time in Cleveland but how long can one hold a grudge? His public persona may be the worst I have ever seen of any public figure with his amount of success. Bill was truthful about spygate from day one, admitted it, took responsibility and accepted the punishment without so much as an appeal BUT his persona makes him seem guarded, stand-offish and arrogant. So no one will give him the benefit of any doubt when his actions are called into question. It is a shame really. I was saying to my brother this season that I loved his science press conference after the conference title game. It was an animated, funny and thought-provoking side of Bill we never see. Why he chooses to never reveal that unless pressed is his own private mystery but that more than anything has hurt him and this amazing and historic run the last decade and a half. As you say, perception is reality.

Truthful is like beauty in the eye of the beholder - Belichick said he missunderstood the rules I would just point out this goes back as far as the Browns which is no biggie other than he had always had someone doing this for him when asked to stop filming the Patriot employee moved & started filming again & was thrown out of the game I believe this happened more then once IMO Belichick was well aware of what he was doing & long before he admitted anything he realized what he was doing was wrong .

If it was a simple mistake he would have stopped after being told to by security & he would have asked for clarity from the NFL instead he chooses to play ignorant which is very funny given the fact everyone thinks hes the smartest & best coach in the

league -  That defies common sense in my opinion .

Bill Belichicks brand of honesty is less then honest  as far as truthful he makes the snake offering a chick a apple look like a stand up guy .

Its like Batman - Brady is teamed up with the Penguin yeah loveable just shady is all & he casts a wide shadow that in my opinion .

The Penguins story smells fishy .    Thank You for your time .

Truthful is like beauty in the eye of the beholder - Belichick said he missunderstood the rules I would just point out this goes back as far as the Browns which is no biggie other than he had always had someone doing this for him when asked to stop filming the Patriot employee moved & started filming again & was thrown out of the game I believe this happened more then once IMO Belichick was well aware of what he was doing & long before he admitted anything he realized what he was doing was wrong .

If it was a simple mistake he would have stopped after being told to by security & he would have asked for clarity from the NFL instead he chooses to play ignorant which is very funny given the fact everyone thinks hes the smartest & best coach in the

league -  That defies common sense in my opinion .

Bill Belichicks brand of honesty is less then honest  as far as truthful he makes the snake offering a chick a apple look like a stand up guy .

Its like Batman - Brady is teamed up with the Penguin yeah loveable just shady is all & he casts a wide shadow that in my opinion .

The Penguins story smells fishy .    Thank You for your time .

You lost me. Filming from the sidelines was never illegal until Roger's memo in 2006 which was sent to all 32 teams because so many teams were doing it and the league did not want the cameras located there. The rule in the rule book specifically states that teams can film as long as the footage is not used in game. This was the sticking point with Bill when it came to Roger's memo. He said he believed he could do it as long as the footage was not used in game. Obviously, the memo stated he could not have the camera there and then ensued the spygate drama after that.

Other than spygate, Bill does not have anything else on his record with the league as far as I am aware going back to when he was a STs coach with the Giants. It is not like he has some long history of league violations like Pete Carroll for example going back to USC and then with Seattle.

But honestly, I am not sure it really matters. Bill will go down as the greatest coach of all time and all others will be chasing him. It is not like the other dynasties didn't have their blemishes with the Steelers and the roids, the niners hiding players on IR or the Cowboys taping signals like the Pats did according to Jimmy Johnson. As I have said before, life is not played on the up and up so I would not expect professional sports to be any different. In my view, Bill's lone transgression is really not much of a blip at all compared to others not just in the NFL but all pro sports.

haha

I guess Peyton is a "statpadder" and so is Brady, Rodgers, Luck and everybody else these days then.

Show me where you got this info about a guy who tracks his stats and notifies him of records. That's a bunch of crap you just made up, and you know it.

If a team gives you 6 dang TDs in 1 half then it's not statpadding. I don't like Aaron Rodgers all that much either but not because he's a statpadder. He sat the entire second half, 1 week after the Bears gave Brady 50 for free in a similar game. That's not even the same as Drew Brees playing like it's the SB against the Rams to keep his streak alive. Brees, to answer you question about where I got my info from, has referenced his "stat guy" many times when asked about single game records.

Technically cheating is any action that goes against the pre-agreed rules which you try and intentionally hide from the powers that be, regardless of whether it gives an advantage or not. 

By that lofty definition, a holding penalty is cheating.  So is starting a game at 1:06.