Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you be upset?

If the colts don't land any of the big names in free agency this offseason. Say they don't land a Suh, McCourty, McPhee, Murray, lupati, hardy or get Andre Johnson or Peterson. Say grigson does what he has in the past and goes for those lesser free agents and tries to incentivize them like we have the past couple years with toler, rjf, and walden. Would that be ok? Save the majority of our money for our own guys next year and sign some guys like fairley, searcy, boling, and Ingram. Just wondering if people feel like grigson has to make a statement or make a jump in our talent level or do we just need a slight adjustment and pay our own guys. The fact that we have so much money likely means we land at least one larger name talent but just wondering what people will say and feel if we go the cautious approach or shy away from the big money. Will people be upset with Grigson? Just wondering because I am not sure we can build a championship caliber team through free agency without some better drafting and using our money to lock up those better draft picks. I'm interested in people's opinions. I get the feeling even though only a couple moves have been made and we haven't really been linked to anyone yet that the natives are getting restless.

Defense is totally devoid of playmakers. We need a high-impact guy. I'll be dissapointed if Grigson goes to the bargain bin.

I totally just imagined Grigson looking through the $5 movie bin at Walmart to look for potential Colts D-Linemen. lol

Gotcha. Outside Revis, Suh, and HArdy on defense I don't see any A players. Even McCourty only had 2 picks last year. I'm just not sure the names people are clambering for will result in the difference people expect on the field. I also don't see us landing any of those players for various reasons and wondering what kind of spending and offseason people expect. I honestly think grigson targets some players that we aren't expecting much the way he has the last couple years. His big accusations have been trades one great one horrible but I'm not sure his willingness or eagerness to sign big long term deals for guys in the A category.

First of all I'd be inclined to call Fairly and Boling bigger names, but Grigs is bringing in some stars and that's the end of it.

I agree but they aren't A list free agents. Let's be honest they are some of the better names in free agency but overall A list guys in the league...no. What I am saying is can we bring in those other caliber guys and people be happy or do we need to land one of the big fish?

I'd love fairley lol

actually I don't like fairley at all...he has had a lackluster time in Detroit playing next to the monster that is Suh. Meaning one on one he wasn't really making a name for himself and with the weight problems and only playing somewhat better in a contract season....sorry not impressed. Detroit didn't even pick up his option last year knowing Suh was likely to be gone and leave them down two Dts tells me all I need to know. However he is the level of player I would expect us to sign as opposed to the star like Suh.

actually I don't like fairley at all...he has had a lackluster time in Detroit playing next to the monster that is Suh. Meaning one on one he wasn't really making a name for himself and with the weight problems and only playing somewhat better in a contract season....sorry not impressed. Detroit didn't even pick up his option last year knowing Suh was likely to be gone and leave them down two Dts tells me all I need to know. However he is the level of player I would expect us to sign as opposed to the star like Suh.

The Detroit games I watched before he got hurt he was a pure monster. I think he'd be a good signing personally.

I agree but they aren't A list free agents. Let's be honest they are some of the better names in free agency but overall A list guys in the league...no. What I am saying is can we bring in those other caliber guys and people be happy or do we need to land one of the big fish?

I thought you were including guys like Searcy, Boling, etc ... in the "big name" guys. I am ok if he doesn't get the suh, mccourty etc... but I don't want a bunch of bargain bin "upside" guys.

Defense is totally devoid of playmakers. We need a high-impact guy. I'll be dissapointed if Grigson goes to the bargain bin.

This. Far too many "sufficient" starters. Ngata is my number one want. Between the position, estimated contract and skill level, he's a big want for me.

I thought you were including guys like Searcy, Boling, etc ... in the "big name" guys. I am ok if he doesn't get the suh, mccourty etc... but I don't want a bunch of bargain bin "upside" guys.

sorry no I don't consider them a list guys. Only about 5-7 a list guys in free agency. Suh, Cobb, Thomas, McCourty, lupati I would say are the a listers IMO.

The Detroit games I watched before he got hurt he was a pure monster. I think he'd be a good signing personally.

last season was a contract season. He hasn't played like that his whole time in Detroit. Even then it was only a stretch. I think he has the skill but i question the motivation. Honestly had he been playing consistently over his career getting single man blocking playing next to Suh and the rest of the guys they've had he would have had his rookie option picked up. Beware of guys picking up in their contract year. Before that he was enormously underwhelming.

I'd like a playmaker but I don't want to break the bank either and cripple us like the saints have done to themselves. At this point, as long as we upgrade each position as best as we can, the whole team improves

and I'd argue that there are far fewer playmakers out there than people think...especially on defense. That is why I understand people have a list of wants but most teams don't allow playmakers to get to free agency and overpaying in free agency doesn't usually lead u to a SB. Drafting and cultivating stars in a system and supplementing with some free agents typically work better.

and I'd argue that there are far fewer playmakers out there than people think...especially on defense. That is why I understand people have a list of wants but most teams don't allow playmakers to get to free agency and overpaying in free agency doesn't usually lead u to a SB. Drafting and cultivating stars in a system and supplementing with some free agents typically work better.

I do agree wth you but I think it is possible to improve our weakness somewhat.

It's like strengthening a floor, yeah you can just add a nice 8 x8 in one spot and it'll be stronger than before, but if you add several 4x4s, it'll be stronger as well. Hope that makes sense, best I could come up with at the Moment

I do agree wth you but I think it is possible to improve our weakness somewhat.

It's like strengthening a floor, yeah you can just add a nice 8 x8 in one spot and it'll be stronger than before, but if you add several 4x4s, it'll be stronger as well. Hope that makes sense, best I could come up with at the Moment

i do. I think people are looking for that big splash in free agency and I just don't see that how it generally happens in building a championship team. Grigson needs to hit more in the draft and supplement like u said with the smaller pieces in strategic spots.

i do. I think people are looking for that big splash in free agency and I just don't see that how it generally happens in building a championship team. Grigson needs to hit more in the draft and supplement like u said with the smaller pieces in strategic spots.

This year, NE won the SB with one, and last year Denver made it there with one.

This year, NE won the SB with one, and last year Denver made it there with one.

indeed...there is only one revis island, Tom Brady, and Bill belicheck. Add the best te in football coming back healthy and there is a whole lot more to that then just adding a free agent. We don't have any of those guys....especially a coach like Bill or a qb like brady yet...although someday maybe. Denver last year added more big name free agents and we beat them....the year they made the sb I don't think welker was the key to all that...it was mostly Peyton's play really.

indeed...there is only one revis island, Tom Brady, and Bill belicheck. Add the best te in football coming back healthy and there is a whole lot more to that then just adding a free agent. We don't have any of those guys....especially a coach like Bill or a qb like brady yet...although someday maybe. Denver last year added more big name free agents and we beat them....the year they made the sb I don't think welker was the key to all that...it was mostly Peyton's play really.

So, I simply refute your statement and you completely change subjects?

These are all such hypotheticals, even Grigson doesn't know what's going to happen.  He could be prepared to offer...let's say Suh a huge contract, 18M per over 5 years.  All it takes is someone to go total crazy and you lose, say Oakland goes 22M 6yrs.  I'm just saying, I'm not trying to be over specific.  We don't know the players true personalities, their personal goals, agents influence etc. There are a ton of teams with lots of cap space.  I think we'll be fortunate to get one splash guy, maybe one and a half.

Our team has a couple must have positions based on the schemes we run.  QB of course, check! Then we must have a NT if you wish to run a truly dominant 3-4. (I still contend we have 4-3 personnel in a hybrid but I digress).  To me, if we go big we need to do it at Nose. There are so few legitimate NT's and if your defensive concepts rely on one you better get one.  I like Nata as our splash player.  Next we need a pass rusher, the more I think about it the more I find it unlikely Mathis is even close to the player he once was.  You have to bank on the improvement of the Ball State kid, this can be addressed in the draft.  We need a bonafide RG, I expect this to be addressed in FA but it could be a Herraman type v Iupati.  I deprioritize RB's and WR's.  We spent a critical pick in last year's draft on Moncreif, he has to be a starter, then open holes and let's see who can run through them at RB.  We may get some bargain vets who view us as a legit Super Bowl threat, that could be seen as a splash if we land Gore at a discount.  Again, loaded hypotheticals.  There's a great chance the best FA we sign is someone we barely know.  Tough biz!

So, I simply refute your statement and you completely change subjects?

Sorry...I wasn't trying to change the subject...simply stating that one free agent typically doesn't win you a SB. I would agree this year that Revis would be the closest thing to that...but saying NE is a typical team I think not. Most don't have the best qb to ever play in the postseason, one of the best coaches to ever walk the sideline and a player like Gronk that came back healthy an MVP caliber player in his own right. Denver added more big names in free agency last year than the year before and it didn't get them over the hump. I do believe free agents can put a team over the hump like you said...but its typically specifically targeted limited free agency...like we did see in NE where one or two pieces brings a defense totally together. I don't believe we are in that boat...and if we are to get over the hump...its going to be through our draft not by adding big name guys like Suh etc because we won't be able to keep affording our own if we do that.