Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Brandon Marshall Traded to Jets (Merge)

Dustin

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can pick up Andre Johnson, plus draft a young one early or late I don't see why we would need to be giving up any of our draft picks for Brandon Marshall.

Yeah but they were just taking about why the Texans would let AJ go for nothing to a division rival. They could holdout.

Yeah but they were just taking about why the Texans would let AJ go for nothing tons division rival.

They've already given him permission to seek a trade which isn't going to happen.  They will be releasing him to the FA market. IF they had a choice they would not do a trade with the colts under any circumstance, but this is totally different.  They are releasing him due to age and cost.  The bigger weight is on the financials. Once he hits the FA market Andre can CHOOSE to play for whomever he wants.

Kinda upset we didn't send a 5th rounder for him. I think the Jets got a steal.

.... Now they just need a QB.

Jets 5th rounder is alot better then our 5th rounder.  We would have had to give up a 4th or gone with a 5th and a 6th or something like that.  I would have been ok with giving up a 4th or giving up a 5th and 6th but that's the reality of it.  If we where both offering 5th rounders, the Jets win.  

A 5th for him! what a steal for the Jets and I can't stand that team. Ryan coould not have not offered the same? Brandon brings size/skills that would have been perfect for Andrew.

But its a high 5th. For the Colts to beat it, they would have to give up their 4th rounder.

They've already given him permission to seek a trade which isn't going to happen. They will be releasing him to the FA market. IF they had a choice they would not do a trade with the colts under any circumstance, but this is totally different. They are releasing him due to age and cost. The bigger weight is on the financials. Once he hits the FA market Andre can CHOOSE to play for whomever he wants.

Awesome I was just thinking they may not release him and demand some kind of a trade.

WELP

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter  46s46 seconds ago
Bears have agreed to trade WR Brandon Marshall to the Jets pending a physical, per league source.

I actually like Marshal. INDY didn't need him, but Bradon's a talented WR who deserved a better landing spot than the lowly Jets. 

Brandon marshall has bipolar problems anyway. Wonder if jay cutler will be in the package. They are best friends

Come on man. Brandon had issues in Denver yes, but he's been a model citizen in the Windy City & I applaud him for how he sought professional counseling to handle his previous outburst, mental dilemmas. 

had to do it..he angered the new Bears management in record time and they shipped him out..

Jets will release him in a year

How do you figure that? He has a competitive desire to win & with the weapons Cutler had last year at WR & RB Marshall was upset that the Bears record was so dismal. As an owner, I want elite players who are ticked off at loosing OUM. People are free to dislike Marshall if they want, but he's not a problem child anymore, he just wants to win. Something Geno Smith sucks at: Winning. Sorry Brandon. I feel so bad for you man. 

If I respect a WR like Marshall, I see if I can send him somewhere good like AZ with QB Carson Palmer & HC Bruce Arians where his skill set will be appreciated & utilized regularly. 

How do you figure that? He has a competitive desire to win & with the weapons Cutler had last year at WR & RB Marshall was upset that the Bears record was so dismal. As an owner, I want elite players who are ticked off at loosing OUM. People are free to dislike Marshall if they want, but he's not a problem child anymore, he just wants to win. Something Geno Smith sucks at: Winning. Sorry Brandon. I feel so bad for you man.

sw..there's so much more to it than that, my man

Brandon has serious behavioral issues...he had already alienated the management that didn't even get to Chicago until january..

Brandon will catch a lot of passes if he can intimidate Geno into throwing to him every other down

....Think about this...name me any healthy NFL starter..EVER..who has been traded 3 times in 5 years

I actually like Marshal. INDY didn't need him, but Bradon's a talented WR who deserved a better landing spot than the lowly Jets. 

Come on man. Brandon had issues in Denver yes, but he's been a model citizen in the Windy City & I applaud him for how he sought professional counseling to handle his previous outburst, mental dilemmas.

He s still unstable, sw..and he backstabbed Cutler....not friends

To be fair, Marshall was Cutler's biggest defender until this year. 5-11 is just really hard to defend.

Teammates cant back stab their guy

..and apparently (according to Chicago radio) Fox and the new GM asked remaining players do they want Brandon...

None of them spoke up for him

..and apparently (according to Chicago radio) Fox and the new GM asked remaining players do they want Brandon...

I see what you're saying, but by all accounts, the players and FO feel the same way about Cutler. I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone too in the next few days.

He s still unstable, sw..and he backstabbed Cutler....not friends

Cutler has a habit of irritating everybody around him & he [Cutler] never takes responsibility for anything. His body language speaks volumes. 

sw..there's so much more to it than that, my man

Brandon has serious behavioral issues...he had already alienated the management that didn't even get to Chicago until january..

Brandon will catch a lot of passes if he can intimidate Geno into throwing to him every other down

....Think about this...name me any healthy NFL starter..EVER..who has been traded 3 times in 5 years

OKay, I will admit that early in Denver that Marshall & Cutler had some tense moments, but being traded is often as simple as the GM wants to get younger on offense & pay a lower salary on a WR's 1st contract vs say a veteran on their 3rd or 4th contract. 

Cutler has a habit of irritating everybody around him & he [Cutler] never takes responsibility for anything. His body language speaks volumes. 

OKay, I will admit that early in Denver that Marshall & Cutler had some tense moments, but being traded is often as simple as the GM wants to get younger on offense & pay a lower salary on a WR's 1st contract vs say a veteran on their 3rd or 4th contract.

3 teams traded him..healthy for little in return..

ITs not his salary..and its not his on field numbers..

sure he did...Came back and said it more than once on Chicago radio as well..

..didn't go unnoticed

////They didnt want him to speak for the team...

again, no he didn't

In that mini-rant to reporters, there's plenty to be read into Marshall's omission of Cutler's name from a couple of lists. First:

''We've got Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, Matt Forte. We've got a stud offensive line. We've got a great, great group of guys. And this is unacceptable. What did we put up, 14 points? Was it 14 points? That's unacceptable.''

Then, later:

''My confidence is there. Alshon Jeffery's confidence is there. Martellus Bennett's confidence is there.''

And what of Jay Cutler's confidence?

''Jay is a gunslinger. Jay is our guy. Jay is our leader.''

Cutler didn't have much to say about what went on in the locker room, merely calling it "emotional." But maybe that's a big deal. The even-keeled Cutler frequently comes across as disengaged, sometimes annoyingly so in situations where observers and teammates feel that his performance was worth getting mad about. Marshall, Cutler's teammate over six seasons with two different teams—and his close friend—knows how to push his quarterback's buttons, and knows that pushing them publicly is occasionally the way to go. The Bears, at 3-4 and with a big game at New England next Sunday before heading into their bye, probably need to be pushing every button available right now.

This is what Marshall said about Cutler earlier this year that generated some criticism: “What I would say is we all know Jay is more than capable of getting it done. It doesn’t always fall on him. I guess that’s why those guys are the highest paid players out there. Because when you win and everything is going good, they get all the glory. And when it’s bad, they take more than what they should take. But I can understand that as far as as a business man, I would have buyer’s remorse, too.”

It could have been worse imo. And honestly, I don't blame him.

I don't think he's a "locker-room cancer" or anything. But it seems like the front office really hated his weekly flights back to NY for the show.

Are we talking something tongue & cheek like Brandon saying "Jay needs to be more of an assertive, accountable leader" as in tough love or just Brandon flat out saying "Jay just sucks as a QB. " There's a difference. 

I've never heard Marshall throw Cutler under the bus on air or while being interviewed ever. I'm not doubting you OUM. I've just never heard Brandon do it. I'd be shocked if he did actually.  

again, no he didn't

In that mini-rant to reporters, there's plenty to be read into Marshall's omission of Cutler's name from a couple of lists. First:

''We've got Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett, Matt Forte. We've got a stud offensive line. We've got a great, great group of guys. And this is unacceptable. What did we put up, 14 points? Was it 14 points? That's unacceptable.''

Then, later:

''My confidence is there. Alshon Jeffery's confidence is there. Martellus Bennett's confidence is there.''

And what of Jay Cutler's confidence?

''Jay is a gunslinger. Jay is our guy. Jay is our leader.''

Cutler didn't have much to say about what went on in the locker room, merely calling it "emotional." But maybe that's a big deal. The even-keeled Cutler frequently comes across as disengaged, sometimes annoyingly so in situations where observers and teammates feel that his performance was worth getting mad about. Marshall, Cutler's teammate over six seasons with two different teams—and his close friend—knows how to push his quarterback's buttons, and knows that pushing them publicly is occasionally the way to go. The Bears, at 3-4 and with a big game at New England next Sunday before heading into their bye, probably need to be pushing every button available right now.

Thanks for some context Jvan. Based on this interaction, I'd say that Marshall was more that reasonable here & he didn't burn any bridges with his QB in Chicago. Front office I have no idea, but based on these quotes Brandon sounded balanced & reasonable to me.  

Grigson dropped the ball on this one

Not even close. 

Even with WR as a need, staying away from Marshall was the right choice.  Dude is a clown who has caused troubles where ever he has gone and it appears the game is not so important to him.

This is what Marshall said about Cutler earlier this year that generated some criticism: “What I would say is we all know Jay is more than capable of getting it done. It doesn’t always fall on him. I guess that’s why those guys are the highest paid players out there. Because when you win and everything is going good, they get all the glory. And when it’s bad, they take more than what they should take. But I can understand that as far as as a business man, I would have buyer’s remorse, too.”

I still can't believe that the Bears front office guaranteed Jay Cutler $54,000,000. What the hades for? He's never even won the NFC North or played in a SB. 

To be fair, Aaron Rogers is a force to be reckoned with, but you're line about buyer's remorse is beautifully stated snkrdy. 

Great move by the Jets. They have some real talent now at WR and a lot of money tied up there as well. Will be interested also to see how the locker room gets along with Marshall and Harvin.

Your entire point seems a huge contradiction.

It is a great move by the NYJ but...

* they have a ton of money tied up at WR

* they have volatile personalities in Harvin and Marshall - which kind of sounds like the opposite of a great move

Harvin will be released anyway.

I still can't believe that the Bears front office guaranteed Jay Cutler $54,000,000. What the hades for? He's never even won the NFC North or played in a SB. 

To be fair, Aaron Rogers is a force to be reckoned with, but you're line about buyer's remorse is beautifully stated snkrdy. 

It was a ridiculous decision, but I guess they felt there were no better options at the time. I think Cutler's going to Tennessee personally.

Sorry for the confusion, but that "buyer's remorse" line was actually from Marshall. It's a part of that giant quote :)