Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Multiple league sources expect Colts to make strong push for Ndamakung Suh

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But don't you have a lot of needs on defense to fill?

We need an upgrade at ILB. I'm fine with Brown and Adams at safety. We can free up to another ~$11M in cap space with a few cuts (Walden, Thomas, Trent [the latter two are going to be cut anyway]) that would give us $52M in cap space. That's enough for Suh and a few other guys. Even if we don't cut those players, we can still sign Suh and others.

This might not be popular but the thing I don't like about Suh is that he comes very close to crossing that line of dirty player. I know all the guys in the NFL aren't choir boys but Suh seems to take it further than most other players in the league at least on the field.

This might not be popular but the thing I don't like about Suh is that he comes very close to crossing that line of dirty player. I know all the guys in the NFL aren't choir boys but Suh seems to take it further than most other players in the league at least on the field.

I do agree, but I have zero problem with him stepping on Brady!!  Anyone else agree?  :)  HA HA!

Haynesworth had arguably the worst work ethic ever for a player with his level of talent. Look up what coaches and scouts had to say about him. Not even a fair comparison.

I don't understand how people are "afraid to break the bank". You all do realize that the Colts HAVE to spend up to a certain percentage of the money they have available right? Not to mention, there's only like 5 teams that have more money to spend than the Colts. When you have the money to spend, spend it!

i don't think people mind breaking the bank they fear getting it wrong and with Grigson's recent history in free agency it's a valid fear.

You think Suh is a dirty player? Wow, that is an unpopular opinion!

I'd rather have that intensity and tenacity and mean streak on the field than the DUI's and assaults our team and other teams have off the field.

I'd rather have that intensity and tenacity and mean streak on the field than the DUI's and assaults our team and other teams have off the field.

id rather have neither if that intensity, tenacity, and mean streak is starting to boil over and hurt the team on the field like Suh'shas been known to do in the past. The one thing I don't like about Pagano is that his teams seem a bit undisciplined. I am not sure Pagano is the right kind of coach for a guy like Suh.

id rather have neither if that intensity, tenacity, and mean streak is starting to boil over and hurt the team on the field like Suh'shas been known to do in the past. The one thing I don't like about Pagano is that his teams seem a bit undisciplined. I am not sure Pagano is the right kind of coach for a guy like Suh.

I'll take a 15 yard penalty after a vicious hit over getting our butts ran over by no name runningbacks multiple times a year. Pagano had the least penalized team a year ago so you can't say his teams are undisciplined. I'll take Pagano over Shwartz or Caldwell to be Suh's head coach. The good FAR outweighs the bad in this situation in terms of getting big plays and getting penalized.

i don't think people mind breaking the bank they fear getting it wrong and with Grigson's recent history in free agency it's a valid fear.

Nobody bats 1.000 in free agency. Not to mention he's always signed mid-level to lower level stop gap players. Suh is in a class by himself.

It's much less risky for us to make this move than it would be the Dolphins, Raiders or a number of teams.  Why?  Luck.  With a QB like Luck or Manning, you will be in contention for this division regardless.  Give Luck a few skilled players to throw to, and as we've seen through three seasons, regardless of what is on the O-line or defensive side of the ball, you will be in contention.  Say it blows up in our faces.  Well, you're right back to where you were, still with a good chance every season.  If it blows up in the faces of a team with a lesser QB, a much lesser QB, yes, it could wreck their team for a season or two.  

Conversely, say it works every bit as well as you hope.  It's the type of move that could transform your defense, pushing you toward becoming true championship caliber team.   

Nobody bats 1.000 in free agency. Not to mention he's always signed mid-level to lower level stop gap players. Suh is in a class by himself.

no they don't but Onbthe free agents he spent big on to go get more have been misses than hits. I like Grigson but I can understand why people are a little concerned with him on his big spendings in free agency.

This could fill a few of those needs.

- Better against the run

- Better pass rush, more opportunities for DBs

- Consistent pressure up the middle - less blitzing, better coverage over the middle of the field

Suh would be a great addition but If you ask me he costs way too much money and the Colts have a lot of holes to fill so I would save the money and invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in the draft on the Dline.

He would help those around him. Think of it as one player but helping alleviate the needs around him. Same way Bob Sanders did. Same way Luck and Peyton makes our guys into superstars on offense too.

Problem is if we sign Suh at the massive price he is going to command, we are going to miss out on McCourty and a solid Passrusher. We will have to end up signing Suh and then some mid-lower level players.

Where if we wait and try to pick up Ngata, if released, we could also sign McCourty and one of the top Pass Rushers.

I think Suh causes us too many problems down the road cap wise as opposed to picking up multiple players at not over the top contract amounts.

Just my opinion but I believe with the return of Mathis and the signing of Suh, the Colts pass rush would be vastly improved. The safety position isn't as bad of shape as people think. There is already talks about the Colts bringing in Taveon Branch or bringing back Mike Adams. The great thing about the safety position is that you can draft a rookie and expect them to contribute fairly quickly (see Bethea). 

I can't say he wouldn't cause us problems cap wise into the future but in today's "Win now" NFL, there really isn't a lot of time to ponder what if's.

I'll take a 15 yard penalty after a vicious hit over getting our butts ran over by no name runningbacks multiple times a year. Pagano had the least penalized team a year ago so you can't say his teams are undisciplined. I'll take Pagano over Shwartz or Caldwell to be Suh's head coach. The good FAR outweighs the bad in this situation in terms of getting big plays and getting penalized.

and last year they regressed to the middle of the pack in that department.  There has been up tick in terms of the number of players getting in trouble off the field.  Those two things point to at least a little bit of a discipline problem and that falls on the head coach.  While I don't think it's Pagano's fault alone for how players act off the field the fact that players are getting in trouble off the field at a higher rate than Colts fans have come to expect does say something about him.  Coaches tend to have a way that discourages players from acting up when off the field.  When Dungy was here it was fear for letting him down.  For BB in New England it's fear that he will just cut you as two example.  Now neither of those methods are full proof and both coaches have had players act up off the field under them they happen far less than what has been happening with the Colts under Pagano.  So like I said before I do think the Colts have a bit of lack of discipline under Pagano.  It's one of the few things I have an issue with Pagano about. 

Now as far as Suh clearly he does not have a history of off the field issues.  However, he does have a very long list of on the field issues.  I don't think the best mix for a player like that is a coach whose team suffers from a lack of discipline and if I were the Colts I would think real hard about that before giving QB type money to Suh.  That combination might not be the best for either side. 

Add into that the fact Suh has never played in a 3-4 defense and Grigson's history of misses in free agency and I can see why Colts fans are a little apprehensive about handing Suh a huge contract.   

Im not putting much stock in Mathis until I see it. 34 coming off of Achilies is not a good combo for a speed guy.

I would rather hit FA for one along with a DT.

Like I said earlier this off-season if I were the Colts I would make moves this off-season like they aren't going to have Mathis.  Anything they get from him will be an added bonus. 

We are the best team with the most cap space, we are a front runner for everyone who hasn't won a ring yet.

or at the very least we are going to be linked to them.  That's why I don't put much stock in these reports.  The media has to talk about something so they are going to report things that they think make sense because not much is going to happen if they are wrong. It's why some call this time of year silly season.  Remember at this time last year all the reports were the Colts were going to lose Davis and as soon as free agency started the Colts announced they had re-signed Davis. 

Stephen Holder's now saying that the Colts are pumping their brakes a bit with signing Suh, biggest concern lies in adaptability to a new system.

This is my understanding of the #Colts' position on #Lions free agent Ndamukong Suh: http://t.co/5adLEB0wkk via @indystar

— Stephen Holder (@HolderStephen)

March 5, 2015

he is the type of guy you adapt your system to fit.

Someone needs to bold this an put it at the top of the thread.  This is my biggest problem with the Suh ordeal.  Is he an improvement that could change our D?  Yes.  Is he someone who balances out our roster in strength?  Yes.  Does he have the complimentary parts to be successful?  Yes (Davis).   Can this team handle a player like him with the coaching staff we have?  I don't think so.

While I'm very critical of Pagano in other regards this one I'm very sure of.  He isn't exactly the coach that is going to instill a hard nose mantra.  It seems that in Indy we have guys who go and mess up and THEN get punished via releasing or suspension.  It isn't nipped beforehand.  This I think is going to be a big problem when you have a player like Suh on your team.  Because you can't just be reactive and cut him.  You have to discipline, but you can't waste 16 or 17 million a year on the bench...

I see nothing but problems ahead.  Sign others imo.  Suh isn't worth imploding your team for.

Someone needs to bold this an put it at the top of the thread.  This is my biggest problem with the Suh ordeal.  Is he an improvement that could change our D?  Yes.  Is he someone who balances out our roster in strength?  Yes.  Does he have the complimentary parts to be successful?  Yes (Davis).   Can this team handle a player like him with the coaching staff we have?  I don't think so.

While I'm very critical of Pagano in other regards this one I'm very sure of.  He isn't exactly the coach that is going to instill a hard nose mantra.  It seems that in Indy we have guys who go and mess up and THEN get punished via releasing or suspension.  It isn't nipped beforehand.  This I think is going to be a big problem when you have a player like Suh on your team.  Because you can't just be reactive and cut him.  You have to discipline, but you can't waste 16 or 17 million a year on the bench...

I see nothing but problems ahead.  Sign others imo.  Suh isn't worth imploding your team for.

He's played five years in the NFL and been suspended for two games. I will take my chances

Who says you have to throw all your money at Suh to get better? We could pick up Adrian Clayborn and a interior D Line draft pick and get better without having to throw 60 mill at Suh, I'd even bring in Stephen Paea

Clayborn? Yeah, let's go pick up another decent player with injury problems. Seems to have worked well in the past.

Where is this "all da free agents to Oakland" thing coming from? They don't even have the most cap, and if we cut the guys we should we won't be far behind. Plus they stink of incompetence. If they wants guys they're gonna overspend and they will end up sucking for years.

Good call. Except they do have $57M plus, and are running way behind on salary they MUST spend the next 2 years.

And we could spent almost all of ours signing Luck, TY, Allen, Fleener, and Castonzo.  Good grief!