Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do You Donald Brown Haters Have To Say Now?

Blue Horseshoe

Yea, but that's kind of like putting me in a room with a bunch of monkeys and saying I'm the smartest guy.

The Colts should put me in at HB. I'll show them a thing or two!

Addai is a good back. He just can't stay healthy for an entire season and is not a homerun threat. He runs tough, is a nice target out of the backfield and a good pass blocker. Carter has promise as a short yardage runner but needs to learn how to hold on to the football. He's just a rookie so it's too soon to write him off. Donald Brown is finally coming into his own and has always been a homerun threat. He just swings and misses alot. So talent is there, it just hasn't all gelled together yet. If you put this tandem behind a healthy Peyton you might be surprised at what a "bunch of monkeys" can do for us.

'

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets pump them brakes a little bit.

Brown played well, ran hard, and has done pretty well for himself this season. With that being said, lets not start putting players back on pedestals because they are the tallest short guy.

So far I've seen Brown is better/outplayed CJ. CJ has out rushed Browns CAREER totals (today included) in 10 games. So lets temper our expectations a bit.

Angerer played real well. Simply put, he's just a football player. Plain and simple. Nice to have that at the MLB *. Youre talking about a guy who in 14 games has put Gary Brackett to shame. Angerers size does worry me however, and Im timid to expect him to ever make it past the Brackett threshold. I see a small body, making alot of contact. Something will give.

Man...we've been waiting for Gonzo to get healthy for three years. It has nothing to do with our backup quarterbacks because he can't get on the field to even try to catch their errant passes. It's time to cut ties and get him out of here. I'm sick of waiting on Gonzo. He's contributed little to nothing to this team since 2008. This was a make or break year for him and he came up broke.

But CS...what I'm saying is that everybody in the passing game gets a pass (no pun intended) this year...

Now..some contracts are up/.Gonzalez is not an old man...and....despite my man Donald Brown...

..we're going back to some 5 receiver sets next season...if manning is back..

.......Everybody came up broke this year (except Brown)....Keep Gonzales around/

We'll be glad we did..

But CS...what I'm saying is that everybody in the passing game gets a pass (no pun intended) this year...

Now..some contracts are up/.Gonzalez is not an old man...and....despite my man Donald Brown...

..we're going back to some 5 receiver sets next season...if manning is back..

.......Everybody came up broke this year (except Brown)....Keep Gonzales around/

We'll be glad we did..

5 wide sets are a figment of Colts fans' imaginations and the stuff of fantasies. We all would love to see it however we very seldom have even in Manning's hey day. The Colts are vanilla and will continue to be vanilla as long as they continue to retain the same coaching staff. They try to out execute teams through their familiarity with their vanilla system. Gonzo pre-2008 is a different guy than present-day injury riddled Gonzo. In an offseason, where some tough decisions will have to be made such as who to retain between Reggie Wayne or Robert Mathis, I just can't see us wasting cap space on the offense's version of Bob Sanders. Gonzo has had his shot...it's time for the Colts to move on.

Also the other wideouts & Brown did not come up broke because at least they were out there gutting it out with whoever was behind center pitching from the pocket. Gonzo just watched from the sidelines like he has done for the past 3 seasons.

For the players this year we have discussed being their make it/break it year:

Painter - I think he is gone. No reason they would keep him.

Brown - He is good against bad defenses, but can't do anything against good defenses. Let's face it, that 80 yard TD was luck on a broken play. I am glad it happened in our favor, but serious? He has had good games against bad defenses, but most players should. So being a change of pace guy could still be possible, but HE ISN'T THE SAVIOR AT RB! :)

Gonzo - Yeah, he is gone. Hasn't even played

Addai - We need someone that can stay healthy, I would not have an issue with them letting him walk and maybe grabbing someone out there on the market.

Wheeler - What can I say, I think he is the biggest improvement of any player. He has proven finally that he can play in the NFL. I think he finally earned his spot. I love our LB's!!!!

Lacey - Good game yesterday, but let's face it, under our defensive scheme, he isn't that good. Kinda like Tim Jennings, we all wanted him gone, but look how good/decent he is in Chicago on a good defense? Lacey could be the same way.

Hughes - Healthy scratch for weeks and has really been horrible for a lot of him playing. I don't see a reason to keep him.

I might have missed a few, but on that list, Wheeler is the only one that I would want them to keep right now.

I don't think they are giving Gonzo a chance. Yea he is listed as always injured, but this season I think "injuries" are just an excuse for some players. Yes Gonzo has always been injured, but previous years he got injured playing. Not in practice like this year.

I think they should put Donald in on PR and KR. We don't need Lefeged and Garcon returning. Let see what Donald can do. You know next year it is going to go back to Joe and Delone running.

For the players this year we have discussed being their make it/break it year:

Painter - I think he is gone. No reason they would keep him.

Brown - He is good against bad defenses, but can't do anything against good defenses. Let's face it, that 80 yard TD was luck on a broken play. I am glad it happened in our favor, but serious? He has had good games against bad defenses, but most players should. So being a change of pace guy could still be possible, but HE ISN'T THE SAVIOR AT RB! :)

Gonzo - Yeah, he is gone. Hasn't even played

Addai - We need someone that can stay healthy, I would not have an issue with them letting him walk and maybe grabbing someone out there on the market.

Wheeler - What can I say, I think he is the biggest improvement of any player. He has proven finally that he can play in the NFL. I think he finally earned his spot. I love our LB's!!!!

Lacey - Good game yesterday, but let's face it, under our defensive scheme, he isn't that good. Kinda like Tim Jennings, we all wanted him gone, but look how good/decent he is in Chicago on a good defense? Lacey could be the same way.

Hughes - Healthy scratch for weeks and has really been horrible for a lot of him playing. I don't see a reason to keep him.

I might have missed a few, but on that list, Wheeler is the only one that I would want them to keep right now.

I think one thing person people are forgetting too is Dallas Clark. Otherwise I would have to completely agree with that list.

Two good games over two seasons does not make for a good career.

IF he can do consistently well then you know what? Great! Maybe he just had a slow start in the NFL over his first three seasons and is finally coming in to his own.

As of right now, he's a bust and only he can write his own destiny.

Let's remember it was two missed tackles away from being 16 carries for 75 yards. He did look better but now everyone thinks him and Lacey are all pros now, Lets remember it was a good win(I GUESS)against a so-so team.keep it real.A guy I work with has been giving me the business about how good Lacey is. one game does not make a player or a coach.

Its like the best or smartest monkey in the room that someone else mentioned, Colts need an upgrade at RB. Addai is broken down for good. Delone Carter has shown talent right out the gate. Brown has taken 3 years to have 3 or 4 decent games.Running backs, especially 1st rounders hit the ground running. It would be nice if brown suddenly became Marshall faulk and all the planets lined up. However the reality is, when Caldwells time is up, and the Colts hire a profesional coaching staff, Addai and Brown will be cut loose and a search will begin for better talent at many positions on this team. When brown first came, I was exited because the talent level at RB has sucked since Edge left. Addai was a cheap stop gap that has deteriorated to this point. He has had his day, and now, so has Donald. I still have some hope for Delone, mostly because of what the other backs bring to the table.

They gonna get rid of Addai & Brown? Lol whatever you :cool: pass that ish to me!!

i would say that a couple good games do not make him great. If he continues to improve, then sure.. keep him. lets face it.. Garcon does the same types of things.. has good games, then drops 10 in a row.. Consistancy is key. The colts need good consistant play.

Best post in this whole thread!

i would say that a couple good games do not make him great. If he continues to improve, then sure.. keep him. lets face it.. Garcon does the same types of things.. has good games, then drops 10 in a row.. Consistancy is key. The colts need good consistant play.

Garcon has 3 drops this year. Donald Brown is averaging 4.8 yards per carry. Don't let the past cloud your vision of the present and future. Garcon seems to have a fumbling problem now, but he has curved the drops. DB is coming into his own and needs more carries. Both have been significant contributors to the team this season.

Let's remember it was two missed tackles away from being 16 carries for 75 yards. He did look better but now everyone thinks him and Lacey are all pros now, Lets remember it was a good win(I GUESS)against a so-so team.keep it real.A guy I work with has been giving me the business about how good Lacey is. one game does not make a player or a coach.

Be a little objective here. All big plays in the NFL are a missed tackle away from not being a big play. You could say almost every CJ, Peterson, or Foster run is a missed tackle away from being a loss or short gain. Should we crown DB? No, but with more opportunity I think he will continue to impress.

Be a little objective here. All big plays in the NFL are a missed tackle away from not being a big play. You could say almost every CJ, Peterson, or Foster run is a missed tackle away from being a loss or short gain. Should we crown DB? No, but with more opportunity I think he will continue to impress.

That is fair, just want to see some more.

Key 3rd down - Garcon drops an easiest catch - Saints ball, Saints TD

3 straight run play - Couldnt get 1 GRAND yard - Saints ball, Saints Field Goal

On side kick - Hank Baskett fumbles recovery - Saints ball, Saints TD

Result - We lost SB

This nightmare will linger till we win one

Start Orlovsky.

Stop running the no huddle.

Get away from Single Back sets and start using some 2 back formations with our new FB.

Use Brown/Carter even when Addai comes back .

Run the ball 65% - 75%.

Basically keep learning how to run. So far it has been working as we went from 29th (2010) to 23rd (2011). Peyton would love to return to 2nd and short instead of all the 3rd and longs he was handed last year.

-Me, November 19th.

Garcon has 3 drops this year. Donald Brown is averaging 4.8 yards per carry. Don't let the past cloud your vision of the present and future. Garcon seems to have a fumbling problem now, but he has curved the drops. DB is coming into his own and needs more carries. Both have been significant contributors to the team this season.

Im talking the last several years average, not this years. I believe the different play calling due to Manning being out has lead to what brown and garcon have done this year. And two big garcon yardages were because garcon broke free of his tacklers and ran hard. Browns numbers are also due to the same thing.

I dont think, and someone correct me on this if im wrong, but the colts have not been throwing half as much this year as the last 10 due to Manning not at QB.

Im interested to see what happens next season..

Although Im very happy with Donald Brown's performacne vs the Titans. It was awesome! I'm gonna see if he's for real. He's going up against a really tough rush D in Houston and it's a short week. If he can produce 100 yards or close to that, I'll be really impressed.

Two good games over two seasons does not make for a good career.

IF he can do consistently well then you know what? Great! Maybe he just had a slow start in the NFL over his first three seasons and is finally coming in to his own.

As of right now, he's a bust and only he can write his own destiny.

Oh brother... .. Brown has shown talent the entire time he has been "healthy",,, I guess U are a Joe "tap out" Addai fan?

Donald has really impressed lately.

Oh.... and Joe keeps "tapping out" .... of every game....

Couple of things:

First off, I don't think that pointing out that Brown's first two years were shall we say, less than impressive, equates to a person being a Donald Brown hater. I seriously doubt many people were excited when he would get stopped for losses on runs or have an overall bad game. It's pointing out the obvious. Running back is one of the few positions where it's expected that a player come in and play well right away. Especially if drafted in the first round.

So lets knock off the "you guys are just haters!" crap ok.

Donald Brown did his job. He's done his job most of the time this season. Good for him. If he continues to do his job then most of us who were concerned about his first 2 years will start to believe that this new found production isn't just an anomally. And I desperately hope it's not because we need Donald Brown to not be a bust.

As Jaric said, pointing out that DB has not lived up to his draft status the past two years does not make one a "hater." The guy showed flashes here and there, but overall he ran soft and looked lost in blocking.

This year he has done much better and has definitely opened up some eyes. It also helps that Polian finally got his butt in gear and actually improved the offensive line.

Now if our OC could just be a bit more imaginative and realize you can use more then one RB on the same drive we would be in great shape with JA, DB, and Carter.

A lot of yards came on a few big carries, but that's what good HB's do in the NFL. They are patient, and they keep at it until something opens up. No one is going to get 6-7 yard rips all game long, every game.

That is correct. It's like some people think making big plays is a bad thing.

It's not. I does however skew an average which can make certain statistics misleading.

Yes and no. Those are real yards that lead to points ( hopefully) they also force a D to stay honest. Too bad we don't have a QB that can capitalize on that at the moment.

There are 2 types of back ( for the purposes of this discussion anyway) the guys, usually power runners, who, consistently, chew up nice chunks of yardage but rarely give you a big gain. Then there are the guys who will get stopped for a yard or two, give you 7, then 0, then bang! pop a big run. Obviously Brown, when on his game and enabled by the O line, is the latter. Both are important.

What skews YPC stats more than anything, is 3rd and short type carries. That is why you can't really use YPC to judge a guy like Carter. Interestingly enough Brown has been used in more short yardage situations than I would have expected and done fairly well in those as well.

We finally had the real starting Oline out there. Tell me that didn't help.

Carter reminds me of a Tiki Barber/Ahmad Bradshaw kind of back. Tiki struggled with fumbling too and when he got coached up, he led the NFL in rushing that year. Each of our backs does something different and I like that. Earth Wind and Fire.

i can remember brown's rookie year people saying he should be starting instead of addai because he looked good at times when he got a chance to play. then he has had some nagging injuries and the colts line has sucked in run blocking. does anyone really think any back would do good running behind a line that allows linemen to hit the rb in the backfield constantly! the ol run blocking is improved this year along with a real fb and that is the reason for his better numbers.

do people knock chris johnson for 10 short runs then breaking a 50 yard td run? that's been his career. you can always find something to knock someone.

do people knock chris johnson for 10 short runs then breaking a 50 yard td run? that's been his career. you can always find something to knock someone.

Youre right, and with Brown they knock 1796 total yards and 10 TDs in 38 games as a 1st round pick.....

Chris Johnson has put up 1761 total yards 11 TDs in 10 games as a 1st round pick.......

5 wide sets are a figment of Colts fans' imaginations and the stuff of fantasies. We all would love to see it however we very seldom have even in Manning's hey day. The Colts are vanilla and will continue to be vanilla as long as they continue to retain the same coaching staff. They try to out execute teams through their familiarity with their vanilla system. Gonzo pre-2008 is a different guy than present-day injury riddled Gonzo. In an offseason, where some tough decisions will have to be made such as who to retain between Reggie Wayne or Robert Mathis, I just can't see us wasting cap space on the offense's version of Bob Sanders. Gonzo has had his shot...it's time for the Colts to move on.

Also the other wideouts & Brown did not come up broke because at least they were out there gutting it out with whoever was behind center pitching from the pocket. Gonzo just watched from the sidelines like he has done for the past 3 seasons.

CS..Really...?

The Colts base set is 3 WR and Dallas...with Addai blocking...agreed

But they ran a lot of 5-wide in in the last few seasons...especially in the SuperBowl year when they had a better line..

I dont think you can say that what somebody is at this moment is what they'll always be..

Fans make that mistake way too often...

Folks wanted Donald Brown arrested 8 weeks ago and now they admit we can actually allow jhim on the field some..

'Vanilla' is probably the correct term for the Colts attack with manning because the whole playbook is available (accroding to personell) at the line/

. Without Manning...its probably 'vanilla baby food'..we are limited by very basic (I formation, no motion) sets...

But the point is: Brown was never going to be a big gainer with the line we've had the last few years and manning throwing a NFL record number of times..out of 4 and 5 receiver sets.

Did you ever see Manning with a 2-back set?

You probably can tell I'm a little biased towards Brown but I just see a quick back, perfect for our indoor speedy game who almost never fumbles.

I think he can be a 1,000-yard runner...but that base set I referred to..with no lead blocker like Baltimore has..

..is always going to limit what he does.

I dont want to change our ways while Manning plays..but it is what it is.