Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Difference maker... Vs..... Check a box

I think everyone would agree that we need a few "difference makers" in certain spots to get this team by NE

So far, in FA, Indy has selected "check the box" players, or people that have low/medium production but are good enough to make an NFL starting roster. Some of these guys are better than others, but none are the true difference makers that are needed

If I look at our roster, with a goal of a SB win, and a SB win THIS year..... I believe we need to get a difference maker on several spots.

To me it's 3 positions

2 on defense (DE, NT)

1 on offense (guard)

We can't seek to get a player that is just marginally better at these spots.

We need a star

Reasons?

Offense - I have long believed that a single RG, that could push the pile, would have enormous benefits to the while offense.

We are "OK" today, withe exception of RG.

Getting a running attack going is critical to slow the game down, and bring the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage......... With our two speedsters at WR..... The long game opens up, and truly makes us 2 demisionional

The other benefit of the grind it out approach...... Your big fatties on defense get more rest, and aren't gassed when they get on the field. (Have you ever seen someone 300lbs in a marathon?)

Another benefit from a grind it out offense is, we can keep the ball away from a high powered offense, and give them less opportunities to score. (I still remember a few years back when we almost lost to the Browns when they ran the ball on us all day) Peyton was sitting all day.

A decent, check the box RB would look very good behind a really good line.

On defense, it all starts up front...... We need 2 people on the DL, that MORE than take up space

If you have these type players everyone looks better on defense. In this case, the LBs and DBS don't have to take on a RB in the open field with a full head of steam. A DL with deference makers, may not get the tackle, but actually force the RB, to slow down, and seek another hole, which makes them a slower target to the LBs.

A DL that collapses the pocket, and keeps the QB off balance, may not get 20 sacks, but will drive incomplete passes and interceptions.

So..... It's cool to do the "what about this FA, and what about that FA" rumor game we all find ourselves posting...... But to me..... Let's NOT check the box on these 3 positions.

Let's spend some cash for value

We can fill some of the needed spots in the draft (ILB,SS, OLB, RB) or on "check the box" FAs...... But please..... Pay the big money to the three difference makers most needed

Ok.... So here are my 3........ Lupati, Suh, Hardy....... Spend the money...... Go to the SB

Thoughts? Am I delusional? (I may need more coffee)

You need for coffee because you misspelt Iupati ;)

We can't afford all 3 though. Suh would be a monster and could take our D to the next level because he does everything to an elite level and has a nasty streak.

We can sufficiently upgrade the O-line without Iupati in my opinion, there are other good options especially if we adress RG and RT.

I would like Hardy but the situation is difficult. But could you imagine Newsome, Hardy, Suh and Mathis in passing downs!!!

Everyone (including me ) wants the "name" RB, WR, OLB, ILB, CB, S

These "names" will be wasted on this team unless we upgrade the trenches

Some of this comes from being TOO cap conscious

I would gladly take a down year or two in "cap hell" to get 3-4 SB wins during Andrew Lucks 12 more years here

We in some ways..... Wasted the talent we had with Peyton ...... We should have been to 4-5 SBs with him

But...... We always seemed to have the team that was missing a key cog...... We didn't want to spend

The odds of a franchise having two superstar QBs right after each other, has almost NEVER happened

(49ers are the only one I can think of)

Let's not blow this chance........

Trenches then skill positions.....

A great offensive line can can an average offense good. Same goes for an okay RB. A good Colts offensive line could make the offense go from good to great.

A good defensive line will help our linebackers in the run game and will help our defensive backs in the passing game.

Help out the trenches with the big spending money. Then fill the rest with draft or cheaper FA.

Trenches then skill positions.....

A great offensive line can can an average offense good. Same goes for an okay RB. A good Colts offensive line could make the offense go from good to great.

A good defensive line will help our linebackers in the run game and will help our defensive backs in the passing game.

Help out the trenches with the big spending money. Then fill the rest with draft or cheaper FA.

Wise words!

We need to immediately be hired by the Colts front office!

:)

And when it comes to the trenches, it all starts with the NT position for me. If you can get good NT play, you get better LB play and you improve your run defense. A versatile DE is next on the list. You can't expect all the pass rush to come from the OLB's, eventually you need an interior pass rush, which is the big thing nowadays. Of course he has to be a force in the run game too.

After that it's a good run blocker at the RG and RT positions. If you can get better push there (coupled with a every down RB that isn't T-Rich) you can control the flow of the games. The YPC averages our RB's not named Richardson have gotten with our average line play is promising. Plus Pep knows how to get creative with RB's. If we could upgrade that right side of the line, Colts would be very hard to stop offensively.

Suh wants ..  $$$$$$   And he can play ANYWHERE on the DL....  ANYWHERE.   he is a poor mans Reggie White. 

I would pay him in a heartbeat to come to INDY.      But Det will keep him.   

Suh would totally change the dynamic of this D...      Bring Redding and Mathis back for ONE year....    WOW... 

but it wont happen.   that said ...  if Irsay can make it happen .....    he will.

He might be able to do it,  but I don't believe Suh would want to do it.

What makes you say that? I see no evidence for that.

Because the 4-3 gives a DL more opportunities to make a play,  to attack and get sacks and tackles for loss.

Our 3-4 is a 2-gap system, not a 1-gap system like Houston.

The job of or 3-4 DL is to hold up o-lineman while the LBers make the plays.

Now,  does that sound like a defense that Suh would like?    We'd be turning a thoroughbred into a plow horse.   He'd be wasted in our system.   I don't see Suh having any interest in fitting into our scheme unless we made it so worth his while that it would choke our salary cap.

I actually don't think he would be the factor we would want at NT

To me..... In a 3-4...... With his build, he is a DE

Most NTs are fire plugs...... He isn't

I think he would be expensive, but again....... I want SB wins..... Not one and dones that happened so much...

Because the 4-3 gives a DL more opportunities to make a play, to attack and get sacks and tackles for loss.

Our 3-4 is a 2-gap system, not a 1-gap system like Houston.

The job of or 3-4 DL is to hold up o-lineman while the LBers make the plays.

Now, does that sound like a defense that Suh would like? We'd be turning a thoroughbred into a plow horse. He'd be wasted in our system. I don't see Suh having any interest in fitting into our scheme unless we made it so worth his while that it would choke our salary cap.

That's an elementary explanation of how the Colts defense works.

First of all, it's not a pure 2-gap system. Such plays REFs role of the 3-tech penetrator.

Secondly, we're in nickel defense more than we are in base.

First of all, it's not a pure 2-gap system. Such plays REFs role of the 3-tech penetrator.

It is accurate, even though elementary......

You may see us in certain defenses, due to shortcomings in personnell

(Like no pass rush.....)

Of course it's an elementary explanation of the Colts defense.

But the bottom line is that the linebackers are more of the playmakers than the lineman are. 

And because of that,  I think Suh wouldn't want any part of our defense.

Of course it's an elementary explanation of the Colts defense.

But the bottom line is that the linebackers are more of the playmakers than the lineman are. 

And because of that,  I think Suh wouldn't want any part of our defense.

Think about ILBs being able to get to the hole to make the tackle rather than moving through traffic.  Suh demands double teams, especially if you are running at him. even then our ILBs better be quick as Suh will break the double team and make the tackle (I watch Lions games from time to time).

Suh will help collapse the pocket in passing down, helping to flush QB for outside pass rushers or make the sack himself.

Suh's best chance at SB is with us instead of the Lions.

All that said, IMO, I don't see us signing him.