Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts release DT Ricky Jean-Francois (merge)

UKColt13

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suh isn't as good as Watt

Yes... But Suh has come out saying he wants Watt $$$$, not 13M. 

I also would bet against the Raiders or some other desperate team will offer. In fact today I hear Todd McShay say he is hearing Suh will get more then Watt. It's not always fair between who's the better player and who gets paid more.

Leaves us with Jones as the starter Hughes/Chapman at nose we need another starter at DT Redding coming back as a back up? I was always interested to see what Quarles could do with some added strength dude is quick off the ball.

I think it's a good sign we are hitting the D Line in FA and in the Draft which is exactly what we needed to do. What we had wasn't working. I really like Hardison from ASU obviously not at 29 but in the 3rd or 4th.

We needed to make big changes on D and it looks like Grigs is going too very excited to see what happens next.

Agreed.

Definitely agree on that, but I'm excited to see how Kerr improves this offseason. I think he can be a pretty good rotational guy. There was times he looked good last year, then times he got pushed around, and struggled badly.

he will be depth but I'm almost positive we didn't release RJF for Kerr lol

I've never seen so much excitement about players being waived! If you look at many of Grigs FA signings, many have been overpaid and subsequently landed on the chopping block.

I hope Grigs enters the FA market with due caution. I'm more excited about the draft. I'm ambivalent anymore about breaking the bank to bring in a bunch of high-priced hired guns. Our track record hasn't been the best.

I was pining for Suh, but now I can't really see it.

I'm ambivalent anymore about breaking the bank to bring in a bunch of high-priced hired guns.

They didn't break the bank for anyone. Maybe Cherilus, but not really.

Some high-priced FAs in 2013 that switched teams: 

Mike Wallace, $12m/year, $30m guaranteed

Greg Jennings, $9m/year, $18m guaranteed

Jake Long, $8.5m/year, $16m guaranteed

Dashon Goldson, $8.25m/year, $22m guaranteed

Paul Kruger, $8.1m/year, $20m guaranteed

Andy Levitre, $7.8m/year, $16m guaranteed

Dannelle Ellerbe, $7m/year, $17m guaranteed

I could do a similar quick run-down for 2014, showing what "breaking the bank" really looks like. And we're here whining about $5.5m/year for RJF. All those signings in 2013 were actually very measured and conservative, in terms of structure and overall cash outlay.

The more I think about it, the more I hope Grigs goes after Cedric Thornton first. I wouldn't mind losing a 2nd for him. I've seen a lot of mock's that have us taking Armstead at 29 too btw. Armstead has the ability to be one of the top 3 or 4 best 3-4DE's in the NFL I believe. I hope he's there. I'd love Phillips too. That kid's going to be a monster at the nose.

Can we bring him back for less money. I liked him but just not at the dollar amount

Possible, but highly unlikely. We could have just agreed to a reduced salary if that was going to happen. He'll get a new deal, not as big, and a new signing bonus, and make more with another team than the Colts would like to pay him (based on them releasing him). 

RJF's agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Stephen Holder says Rosenhaus told him that a return to the Colts hasn't been ruled out. 

Saved over 4 mill for cutting a rotational D Lineman, He was decent, I thought he had a solid year this past year but I think this was a good move:

Zach Kerr

Montori Hughes

Eddie Goldman(Draft)

Marcus Hardison(Draft)

Malcolm Brown(Draft)

Are all Candidates in my opinion who I think can rotate and replace Francois's production

Saved over 4 mill for cutting a rotational D Lineman, He was decent, I thought he had a solid year this past year but I think this was a good move:

Zach Kerr

Montori Hughes

Eddie Goldman(Draft)

Marcus Hardison(Draft)

Malcolm Brown(Draft)

Are all Candidates in my opinion who I think can rotate and replace Francois's production

I don't think the point is to replace his production. He didn't get injured and we're looking for a fill-in. 

I think the point is to get better. To me, the question is about who can come in and play better than RJF.

They didn't break the bank for anyone. Maybe Cherilus, but not really.

Some high-priced FAs in 2013 that switched teams: 

Mike Wallace, $12m/year, $30m guaranteed

Greg Jennings, $9m/year, $18m guaranteed

Jake Long, $8.5m/year, $16m guaranteed

Dashon Goldson, $8.25m/year, $22m guaranteed

Paul Kruger, $8.1m/year, $20m guaranteed

Andy Levitre, $7.8m/year, $16m guaranteed

Dannelle Ellerbe, $7m/year, $17m guaranteed

I could do a similar quick run-down for 2014, showing what "breaking the bank" really looks like. And we're here whining about $5.5m/year for RJF. All those signings in 2013 were actually very measured and conservative, in terms of structure and overall cash outlay.

Wow, I didn't realize Greg Jennings had such a high salary...

And he's done what, 700-800 yards a year? Same with Dannell Ellerbe; probably amongst the very bottom 20% of ILBs in the league.

Oh my word, really?  I thought posters on this forum were beyond such linear thinking and were not myopic enough to think the only reason the Colts lost was because of the run defense.

A consistent running game helps to sustain drives and keep the team on the field.  It helps teams to get into 3rd and short situations which are more easily converted to 1st downs.  It helps wear down a defense making them (the defense) more likely to give up a big play late in the game.

So a sustained running game makes us 38+ points better in the AFC Championship? Really? It may have helped but no where near 38+ points worth. 

I don't think the point is to replace his production. He didn't get injured and we're looking for a fill-in. 

I think the point is to get better. To me, the question is about who can come in and play better than RJF.

Right but what Im saying is he is not a loss that cant be replaced. I actually think we have a guy or two on the roster that will put up Francois's production or better(Kerr, Maybe Montori) I know the idea is to get better

I dunno why people want Toler gone. He played really well last season. FYI the reason has always been our run defense and lack of pass rush.  Its been this way ever since we got Luck.  What team did well passing the ball on us, especially WRs.  Our CB locked them down. If anyone Erik Walden and Trent Richardson needs to be cut and resign Sergio brown and mike adams.

Zach Kerr

Montori Hughes

Eddie Goldman(Draft)ro

Marcus Hardison(Draft)

Malcolm Brown(Draft)

I am with you best player available at 29 may well be Brown I really love Hardison a little later. I have had an eye on him since he wrecked havoc on my Irish.

I am also interested to see what Kelcey Quarles did with his year on the practice squad. I think he came out a year early and has the potential to provide help across the D Line if he put in the work. He is quick of the ball long arms.  

I also expect a FA signing.. I am excited to see what Grig's has up his sleeve with the D. It is obvious he has realized the job wasn't getting done and is going to make changes let's hope he nails it. I am excited

I thought Walden earned his keep think we keep him around

Wow I think he's living up to the quote he said last year about no longer accepting guys who are adequate or solid, but guys who play at a championship level. This draft and FA is going to be crazy. Kinda makes you worried that guys you didn't expect to get cut might go too. But it's the right moves for the team.

Wow I think he's living up to the quote he said last year about no longer accepting guys who are adequate or solid, but guys who play at a championship level. This draft and FA is going to be crazy. Kinda makes you worried that guys you didn't expect to get cut might go too. But it's the right moves for the team.

This was more a cap saving move I believe then it had to do with a rotational D Lineman who given his role produced just fine for us

This was more a cap saving move I believe then it had to do with a rotational D Lineman who given his role produced just fine for us

True. But even so, you have to feel really strongly about either what you have in house, or what you can get in the future to release a guy like that. I think the latter is true. I mean Kerr, Quarles, Hughes, and Pendleton are nothing to light fireworks over.

True. But even so, you have to feel really strongly about either what you have in house, or what you can get in the future to release a guy like that. I think the latter is true. I mean Kerr, Quarles, Hughes, and Pendleton are nothing to light fireworks over.

Kerr started off well but I think he needs to drop some weight and build his stamina up...come in in better shape next year....I'd say 315lbs no more then 320lbs, He has the raw skill

Kerr started off well but I think he needs to drop some weight and build his stamina up...come in in better shape next year....I'd say 315lbs no more then 320lbs, He has the raw skill

Raw skill to be a rotational guy, yes. But you have to also remember that Redding might retire as well. If he does, you need a starter at DE immediately.